• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to revive major IPs, be more multiplat/global, make bigger games, Sonic: NA dev?

ChaosXVI

I'd be very surprised if they successfully revived even one of their IP as a AA title, let alone anything AAA. Come to think of it, how many dev teams does Sega even have throughout the world anymore? Haven't they been bleeding talent pretty much nonstop since 2003 or so?

I'd love to be wrong though. It's been a looooooong time since I bought a Sega game that didn't have a blue hedgehog in it. Although I guess Alien Isolation counts.

casiopao

I hope Sega will be more like Konami and focus more on B game or A budget game rather than AAA game as i would love to see more older IP revived and survive rather than die after a single title.

Alboreo

I am always up for more Phantasy Star, whether it be Online or single-player. Ideally in English, but I'll live as long as there's no IP block.

Terrell

So much hope in this thread. Shame that none of it is warranted. Sega has made it clear that they don't understand the fan base for their IP since 2 generations ago, if not earlier.

ezodagrom

I wish Nintendo would buy Sega from Sammy. I'm sure Nintendo would do wonders with all those IP's. I want a new Skies, Golden Axe. Shinobi, altered beast, streets of rage, PSO ,Sega. Make it happen
And ruin SEGA's Steam and multiplat releases by doing that? No thanks, just no.
Also what would Nintendo even do with SEGA's PC studios such as Creative Assembly and such?

Exodust

Banned
And ruin SEGA's Steam and multiplat releases by doing that? No thanks, just no.
Also what would Nintendo even do with SEGA's PC studios such as Creative Assembly and such?

It's just strangely common rhetoric among some Nintendo fans that has no basis in reality, I wouldn't take it seriously.

ArjanN

So much hope in this thread. Shame that none of it is warranted. Sega has made it clear that they don't understand the fan base for their IP since 2 generations ago, if not earlier.

It's honestly more that Sega fans tend to lose sight of reality, and their image of Sega is also about 10 years behind the times.

I hope Sega will be more like Konami and focus more on B game or A budget game rather than AAA game as i would love to see more older IP revived and survive rather than die after a single title.
Who the hell wants any company to be like Konami? They are probably one of the worst companies right now.

Drek

A Crazy Taxi game where you battle against a faux-Uber's automated car army would be a good time.

And how they managed to kill Phantasy Star as an RPG franchise and Phantasy Star Online as an online ARPG in the states simply baffles me. Phantasy Star was at one point on par with Final Fantasy for major JRPGs and PSO was basically the console response to Diablo in it's time.

I'd loves a Skies of Arcadia II - nothing more really needs to be said here.

Beyond that there are a lot of good old IPs in the vault that could be used as springboards for modern games. The Oasis series, Shinobi, the Shining games, etc..

I wish Nintendo would buy Sega from Sammy. I'm sure Nintendo would do wonders with all those IP's. I want a new Skies, Golden Axe. Shinobi, altered beast, streets of rage, PSO ,Sega. Make it happen

Just like how Nintendo is giving us those fantastic new Metroid, F-Zero, Wave Race, StarTropics, Mother, and Advance Wars titles, right.

Just like how Nintendo is giving us those fantastic new Metroid, F-Zero, Wave Race, StarTropics, Mother, and Advance Wars titles, right.

To be fair, Mother was actually deliberately ended. There's no more games for it because its main man Itoi wanted Mother 3 to be the last one, so in other words, the series 'died' for artistic reasons, not commercial reasons. It wasn't necessarily abandoned in the same way F-Zero and Advance Wars were.

Aki-at

I'd be very surprised if they successfully revived even one of their IP as a AA title, let alone anything AAA. Come to think of it, how many dev teams does Sega even have throughout the world anymore? Haven't they been bleeding talent pretty much nonstop since 2003 or so?

I'd love to be wrong though. It's been a looooooong time since I bought a Sega game that didn't have a blue hedgehog in it. Although I guess Alien Isolation counts.

Europe
Creative Assembly (500)
Sports Interactive (70 to 90)
Amplitude Studios

America
Relic (two dev teams so probably 130 to 200)

Japan
Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (200)
Atlus (220)
Sonic Team branded (300 to 400)
AM1
AM2

The report mentions that SEGA Japan's total workforce (excluding subsidiaries like Atlus, TMS etc) is at 2200+

They've got enough teams and talents to aggressively attack the market. With Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and Atlus expanding further and with them still willingly picking up developers they do at least have the financial commitment too.

Also think people overblow the talent leak, a lot of core people of Sega that people liked like Nagoshi, Kodama, Uchida etc remain within the company. I think people would be surprised to learn even hardware designers from the Master System era remain, it's just not a lot of information on Sega's workforce is commonly made available.

We're getting

- Localisation of almost all their major Japanese titles
- Sonic Mania
- PC ports of long requested games

I doubt we're going to see IPs revived en masse and personally only predicting Sakura Wars and Virtua Fighter as the other revived IPs (Virtual On already confirmed to be revived) but I don't think hope is unwarranted unless were talking about people thinking every Mega Drive IP is about to become a AAA series.

The company is definitely walking towards a positive future and listening to the market better with realistic goals, we've seen that much over the latter half of 2016 and now.

Honestly, I doubt even Nintendo would know what to do with most of Sega's franchises.

PantsuJo

kid-chameleon-05.png

Time for this super-cool motherfucker to make a come-back.
My man

Ferr986

All those IP's would go to the same trashbin where Metroid and F-Zero are.

soheil

Europe
Creative Assembly (500)
Sports Interactive (70 to 90)
Amplitude Studios

America
Relic (two dev teams so probably 130 to 200)

Japan
Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (200)
Atlus (220)
Sonic Team branded (300 to 400)
AM1
AM2

Sport interactive has 230 employee registered in Linkedin.

Relic is 195 according to gamespot video recently.

Amplitude has 70.

Fuck...If Sega actually makes a new Ecco the Dolphin game I will forgive them for every crap Sonic game of the past decade.

Yes, even 06...

gelf

I wish people would stop saying this. There is very little chance you would get any of those out of Nintendo. They have enough thier own IPs to neglect. And Nintendo would kill Sega's successful PC development side.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
- Panzer Dragoon Drei
- Vectorman 3
- Jet Set Radio 3
- Fighters Megamix 2

We Good.

Honestly...
...I really, really just want them to buy the Sonic the Hedgehog IP from SEGA (mostly because they likely wouldn't do anything with the other IPs you've listed and I don't think buying the entirety of SEGA is a good idea anyways).
It'll never ever happen and I'm sure Nintendo isn't really all that interested but I'm dying for a 3D Sonic platformer on the level of something like Mario 3D World or Mario Galaxy, something that Sonic Team (sadly) doesn't have the talent, knowledge, time, or resources to create afaict.
T.T

Phantasy Star with no online component. OK... cloud saves. No more!

Fantasy Zone. Make it trippy. Gold standard for gaming on psychedelics.

Space Harrier as an action RPG.

Altered Beasts. Add some Metroidvania.

Shinobi in Miracle World.

sam12

Sega should develop exclusives for each console

Nintendo Switch- Skies of Arcadia 2, Super Monkey Ball next, Space Channel 5, Samba De, Bayonetta 3, Nights

PS4- Shenmue is a given, Phantasy Star, Gunstar Heroes, Yakuza, Shinobi

Xbox- Panzer Dragoon next, Jet Set Radio 3, Virtua Cop, Otogi

Multiplatforms- Virtua Fighter, Sonic, Crazy Taxi

Fox Mulder

Nintendo Switch- Skies of Arcadia 2, Super Monkey Ball next, Space Channel 5, Samba De, Bayonetta 3, Nights

That sucked as a dreamcast owner seeing them scatter different games across platforms. No point in doing it.

gelf

Fuck no, anything but that. It was a mistake when they did that kind of thing to split the fanbase after the Dreamcast died and it would be a mistake now.

Proper Streets of Rage Sequel that supplants God Hand for king of the beat em up genre.
This will never happen, and it makes me sad.

Edit: Holy shit...Kid Chameleon sequel, as well.

Colby

Space Channel 5: Part 3

Sucks that there'd be no Space Michael, but no rhythm game has copied the Follow Me formula and perfected it like SC5 did.

Top Bottom