• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: We want to regain customers' trust, learned a lot from Atlus; TGS announcement

night13x

Let me translate what this really means:

"We learned a lot from atlus. We will now instill our SEGA TAX so expect our future games to be around $10 higher than usual".

"Yakuza dance district coming to NA soon followed by Yakuza singstar karaoke"

"DLC costumes"

"Nobody wants PSO2 in the west so we will continue to not release it"

PLEASE BE EXCITED!!!

:D

OK sarcasm aside, in all honesty the atlus buyout turned out to be the very best possible results for both companies - I do have a lot of hope in the future for Sega and they seem to start realizing what really works and what doesn't.

I don't buy SEGA titles anymore. I find them to be risky purchases and they don't often release what I want them to. They also don't seem to market their titles enough to justify me going in at launch. I can always wait until I can pick them up for 20 dollars.

As a 90s Sega fan, I really hope that modern Sega is good in their word. I haven't been interested in a Sega have since PSO 2 and it never made it to the West.

I am not holding my breath on a Shenmue HD re release but that's a good start. Maybe some Sega Saturn ports like Panzer Dragoon Saga?

Aki-at

I hope people keep their expectations in check but at the same time not hand wave this away as some sort of PR statement.

Satomi rarely gives out interviews for the SEGA side of the business (Can't say I know what he does for the Sammy side since I have no interest for them.) and the last time was back in 2006. I think we're going to get more localisations and they're going to take their time in development of their new games (Alien, DoW3, Sonic Next and Total Warhammer all had/have 3+ years of development.) I don't necessarily think this means a return to classic SEGA franchises but it bodes well for the future of the company's core video game business.

As a 90s Sega fan, I really hope that modern Sega is good in their word. I haven't been interested in a Sega have since PSO 2 and it never made it to the West.

I am not holding my breath on a Shenmue HD re release but that's a good start. Maybe some Sega Saturn ports like Panzer Dragoon Saga?

I thought you lived in Japan as a teacher?

“As far as the Western market goes, we learned a lot from Atlus,” continues Satomi. “If we can make a title with proper quality, I believe there’s a good chance for it to do well even in the West for players that like to play Japanese games.”

Beautiful. That's how you start coming back.

Skies of Arcadia , Sega , Do it .

b2a0df80-03cb-11e5-a8a1-6dc8d3245017_shia-labeouf-do-it.gif

This right here.

Phantasy Star should be up with there Final Fantasy as far as RPG's are concerned. There's really no reason there shouldn't be a V or a reboot of the franchise for the single player version. It's pretty absurd how they've flat out ignored sure money.

Agreed.

Also, I think even in general, even if they don't want to bring it back, I just would love for Sega to have a big traditional single-player JRPG every couple of years to experience like Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.

Aki-at

Phantasy Star should be up with there Final Fantasy as far as RPG's are concerned. There's really no reason there shouldn't be a V or a reboot of the franchise for the single player version. It's pretty absurd how they've flat out ignored sure money.

Some of the original team members are still at SEGA. In fact Kodama has a pretty high position at one point (Not sure if she does still but she's helping with 7th Dragon 3) and I wouldn't be surprised if she and the original team are opposed to it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Speaking of Phantasy Star, they should really release Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2 for PS4/XBO/Vita.

I will say kill Sonic and bring back Ristar. You all wouldn't be complaining if we got Ristar Boom but noooo they just had to pull out the tattered corpse of Sonic one last time to star in a crappy transmedia spinoff.

Oriel

I want Hitmaker, Smilebit and Overworks and a proper comeback of Sega's AM2 too!

Dreamcast era Sega's studios were the best

Really Sega needs to once again re-establish 2nd party studios like during the DC era (though with perhaps fewer studios, certainly Sonic Team, AM2, Team Yakuza, Team Valkyria to name a few) and give them the sort of freedom that Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive and Atlus enjoys.

Speaking of Atlus it's strange how none of their games are actually published by Sega. CA and SI don't publish their own games, Sega does, so it's odd that Sega America/Sega Europe doesn't.

FluxWaveZ

Speaking of Atlus it's strange how none of their games are actually published by Sega. CA and SI don't publish their own games, Sega does, so it's odd that Sega America/Sega Europe doesn't.

Atlus was going to be absorbed into a subsidiary by the name of "Sega Dream Corporation," but they decided to keep things separate to maintain Atlus' individuality and because Atlus is strong enough as a brand on its own. It's the same reason why Atlus games weren't published as "Index" under the Index regime.

Sega published Persona 4 Arena Ultimax in Europe.

Sega needs to win back some of their talent especially Yu Suzuki and Yuji Naka by apologizing and giving them the freedom to develop quality new IPs.

televator

Why does everybody want Orta? Give me a high quality remake of Panzer Dragoon Zwei, the best title in the series (excluding the obvious).

I think that poster meant that Orta HD would shame the new Starfox in the graphics and art departments... I think I agree. Yeah.
wee-bey-gif.gif

Oriel

Atlus was going to be absorbed into a subsidiary by the name of "Sega Dream Corporation," but they decided to keep things separate to maintain Atlus' individuality and because Atlus is strong enough as a brand on its own. It's the same reason why Atlus games weren't published as "Index" under the Index regime.

Not quite correct.

All Index operations, including the Atlus brand and Index Digital Media (Atlus USA), transferred to Sega Dream Corporation (a new subsidiary of Sega Corporation) on 1 November 2013.[15] That day, Sega announced that it would change the name of Sega Dream Corporation to Index Corporation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlus

The present incarnation of Atlus really began life in 2013.

Sega published Persona 4 Arena Ultimax in Europe.

Makes sense. Atlus never had much presence publishing wise in Europe I suppose. It would make more sense to merge Atlus USA into Sega of America.

AmyS

It's often been mentioned how we need to support SEGA 3D Classics on 3DS eShop, and that's true but also, show them your support here also, with Model 2 games!

maRsYI1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnLUHKE6gyI

Virtua Fighter 2 - Fighting Vipers- Sonic The Fighters - Virtua Striker -Cyber Troopers Virtual-On.

Bolded = NA (and EU I presume) not bolded - Japan only. $4.99 USD each in the U.S. -I just bought Fighting Vipers and Sonic The Fighters myself.

92qOYaK.jpg

Not to mention the outstanding HD port of Daytona USA. We need mooaaar Model 2 games and a Model 3 collection.

One thing they could do is apologise to Camelot and ask them to make Shining Force 4.

A shining force 3 s1-3 remaster for those who never got a chance to play the greatest srpg ever wouldn't go amiss either

flattie

It's often been mentioned how we need to support SEGA 3D Classics on 3DS eShop, and that's true but also, show them your support here also, with Model 2 games!

Not to mention the outstanding HD port of Daytona USA. We need mooaaar Model 2 games and a Model 3 collection.

This. Sega really made a good attempt at updating some of their classics for Live/PSN last gen (dat Daytona and JSR HD). If people want to give Sega an incentive to roll out more of their catalogue, it's on Live/PSN (edit: and Steam) where your voices will count for most.

Oriel

I don't think that's quite correct, either:

While Index is separate, from Atlus, Atlus is under the "Sega Games" group.

What's not correct, that Atlus began life in 2013? Legally and factually this is correct. When Atlus's owner Index Corporation became bankrupt Sega moved in and bought all assets (note it never bought the bankrupt company, just everything it owned) which were transferred to a new entity established by Sega called Sega Dream Corporation (what possessed them to choose that name?).

Sega then renamed this company from SDC to Index Corp before moving all of the company's mobile assets to a new company also called Index Corp and the entity formally known as SDC, then Index Corp was renamed Atlus. Sega likes to deliberately make things as labyrinthine as possible it seems.

So to recap.

Sega Dream Corporation (inherits bankrupt Index assets)
↓
Index Corporation → new Index Corp
↓
Atlus

To bring back to the original issue of Atlus's broad autonomy, certainly more than that enjoyed by CA, SI and Relic, Sega should formally bring Atlus into the same publishing arrangement that other 2nd party studios are required to be a part of and Sega's internal development teams should be split off. Something along the lines of Sony Worldwide Studios would make sense where all development studios are on an equal footing with each other and sharing the same publisher (Sega).

FluxWaveZ

What's not correct, that Atlus began life in 2013? Legally and factually this is correct. When Atlus's owner Index Corporation became bankrupt Sega moved in and bought all assets (note it never bought the bankrupt company, just everything it owned) which were transferred to a new entity established by Sega called Sega Dream Corporation (what possessed them to choose that name?).

Oh... then I'm not sure what you originally meant by "not quite correct," because I knew all of that. I thought you were saying that the fact that the brand was disassociated from "Sega Dream Corporation" was wrong when, like you're saying now, it isn't. So I'm kind of confused, heh.

By "Index regime," I was talking about before Sega ever entered the picture and when they were releasing games like Catherine, Persona 4 Arena, Shin Megami Tensei IV and Persona 4 Golden.

To bring back to the original issue of Atlus's broad autonomy, certainly more than that enjoyed by CA, SI and Relic, Sega should formally bring Atlus into the same publishing arrangement that other 2nd party studios are required to be a part of and Sega's internal development teams should be split off. Something along the lines of Sony Worldwide Studios would make sense where all development studios are on an equal footing with each other and sharing the same publisher (Sega).

I don't really see the point of this. They're already sharing resources with each other, as the Atlus CEO Naoto Hiraoka stated in an interview.

Oriel

Oh... then I'm not sure what you originally meant by "not quite correct," because I knew all of that. I thought you were saying that the fact that the brand was disassociated from "Sega Dream Corporation" was wrong when, like you're saying now, it isn't. So I'm kind of confused, heh.

By "Index regime," I was talking about before Sega ever entered the picture and when they were releasing games like Catherine, Persona 4 Arena, Shin Megami Tensei IV and Persona 4 Golden.

You stated Sega decided not to absorb Atlus into SCD. Except they did just that. Anyway not that it matters now. I feel we're going off track here.

I don't really see the point of this. They're already sharing resources with each other, as the Atlus CEO Naoto Hiraoka stated in an interview.

Maybe in game development but when it comes to actually releasing games there seems to be quite a bit of overlap, especially outside Japan where localisation, marketing and publishing of games made by Sega Games Co. Ltd (including Sega's internal studios and Atlus) is handled by two distinct companies In the case of the US Sega of America handling Sega JP, CA, SI, relic games and Atlus USA handling Atlus Corp games. This makes no sense.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

CA, SI, Relic and Atlus aren't second-party studios; they're owned by Sega. They're Sega studios. Like how Intelligent Systems and Retro Studios are first-party studios for Nintendo.

I want Hitmaker, Smilebit and Overworks and a proper comeback of Sega's AM2 too!

Dreamcast era Sega's studios were the best

They still exist, you know

they're just named differently. How much staff turnover they've had in the last 15 years, though, I don't know.

Give me that goddamn VC2 and VC3 for PC. SEGA. GIve it to me!
I don't think that's possible without spending a lot of money to remake assets and localizing VC3. I'm not sure Sega would think it's worth it, especially since people don't like VC2's plot.

FluxWaveZ

You stated Sega decided not to absorb Atlus into SCD. Except they did just that. Anyway not that it matters now. I feel we're going off track here.

Wait, I'd like to get to the bottom of this because I thought I understood this. Aren't you using information from 2013 and speaking as though Atlus is still an Index subsidiary when that is no longer the case? Index and Atlus were disassociated at the beginning of 2014. The current incarnation of Atlus is from 2014, not from 2013. They got a new logo to celebrate and one of the big names of the company even wrote a big letter of thanks to the fans because they were no longer part of Index and they were their own entity once again:
Hey all.

It’s been a long time coming, but we’re finally able to stage our comeback as a company at last. (Sobs.)

It goes without saying, but I know we’ve made you, the fans, worry a lot these past several years. We lost that which we thought we could once take for granted when Atlus ceased to be a proper company. Atlus continued to live on as a brand, but we had to do a lot of soul searching during those years, especially with respect to what made our games enjoyable on their own terms and and what it means to us personally to bring those games to life.

I might be a bit overdramatic when I say this, but I think much like people, the games that leave a lasting impression upon us are the ones that that charm us and challenge us alike, ones that require more than mere passiveness on our part to enjoy and set out to change the status quo with good intentions. While it’s important for players to enjoy themselves when playing video games, I want ours to linger on in their memories for other reasons beyond that. Those are the things I’ve kept at the forefront of my mind as I keep pursuing this life as a creator that I’ve gone down.

And that’s not going to change moving forward.

We want to keep making the games that’ll make you all happy as fans and while we’re working hard to bring them to you, I hope you’ll continue to voice your passionate support for us as you always have.

– Katsura Hashino
Hence, they were disassociated from Sega Dream and, in relation, Index at least partly to maintain Atlus' independence.

Chariot

I don't think that's possible without spending a lot of money to remake assets and localizing VC3. I'm not sure Sega would think it's worth it, especially since people don't like VC2's plot.
I know and yet I hope. This year was already full of miracles, it hopefully won't stop with SEGA.

They still exist, you know
they're just named differently. How much staff turnover they've had in the last 15 years, though, I don't know.

I know they exists in some form, but in early 2000, those team had a unique identity. In fact, I believe that was the idea originally, give him a fair amount of freedom. Also talent exodus.

Smilebit becoming a Mario & Sonic's machine, is preposterous

Love your flow chart btw

Ushiwaka

This made me happy, really. I'm glad that they know what the costumer want. Looking forward to TGS!

P.S: PG said some Bayonetta news will be coming in 2015, and we haven't had any yet, so maybe TGS? I hope SEGA gets back to the Bayonetta series :)

Valkyria Chronicles Defense Force reporting in, did someone say 2 and 3 PC?

Y'know, there doesn't necessarily have to be a full remaster. Just upscale the UI textures and keep the rest of the assets as-is like with Jet Set Radio's PC port.

I think the major problem a VC2 PC port would have though is figuring out what to do with the multiplayer component since it wasn't internet based before and ad-hoc isn't a thing with PCs.

Also, VC has sold at LEAST 460k on Steam. If getting those numbers to buy into VC2/3 wouldn't cover porting/localization costs @ a pricing of $30-40, I don't know what would.

As much as I would love to hear that this is actually true I'm going to be completely skeptical until we really see some proof of this. What Sega did to the Shining Force community is disgusting and just the lack of brining anything stateside is very disheartning.

I want to give you money for PSO2, a digital release of SF3 (all 3 parts!), Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2, and more. WHY CAN'T I GIVE YOU MONEY SEGA!

Nyoro SF

Did someone say Valkyria Chronicles 2 & 3 PC?

I know it's against logic to hope for a remaster of 2 & 3 (especially a remaster of 2 that at the very least fixes the gameplay issues), but a man can dream.

I've already said my piece in regards to Sega in this thread though so I won't clutter it up anymore.

jay

How much staff turnover they've had in the last 15 years, though, I don't know.

I've been curious about this so did a few minutes of research on it. The first batch of people is studio heads and the second batch is just people who worked on games I personally think are significant. Obviously there are a lot more employees at the company so this is not close to being close to exhaustive.

Untitled.png

Edit: The studio names in the first column are historic studios, which preceded the studio names in the second column.

Top Bottom