• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: We want to regain customers' trust, learned a lot from Atlus; TGS announcement

cireza

Rieko Kodama has been making the 7th Dragon games during the "last decade".

Stop asking for ports... New games > ports.

Videoneon

GAF lets me down once in a while but I see the Valkyria and Sakura Wars love (needs more) and then I'm good.

The timing is pretty good for these comments as indeed the PS4 is strong in the West and there are some indicators (the story of PXZ2, among other things) that there's a frustrated audience for "Japanese" games out there wanting to be catered to. The problem is just finding a way to make room for these releases amongst all the other junk that gets pushed in the West - there's a lot to buy. On the one hand, fewer franchises are active and Konami is almost completely out of the game, but Sega has to essentially regain ground. And for the relevant audience - the voices are pretty clear. While they've made some headway in the past few years with things like DFBC and Project DIVA series, they aren't enough to cut it.

It's not impossible though. Look at the return to form the Tales series had. I remember the dark pre ToGf times. And now Bamco seems to be trying with Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I know they exists in some form, but in early 2000, those team had a unique identity. In fact, I believe that was the idea originally, give him a fair amount of freedom. Also talent exodus.

Smilebit becoming a Mario & Sonic's machine, is preposterous

I think they can still have an identity without being split off into semi-autonomous companies. AM2 has a distinct identity. CS1 and CS2 are Team Yakuza and Sonic Team, which have strong identities.

And while I've argued a bit in this thread that Sega still has a lot of operational studios capable of making home console (and PC) games, I have to admit that talent exodus is a problem that's struck Sega. Just one example:

Part of Smilebit, AM6, (as well as the head of Hitmaker, AM3,) was broken off in 2000 to become United Game Artists, which called itself AM9 when making Space Channel 5. It also made Rez. Ahead of the 2004 restructuring of all of Sega's studios, much of United Game Artists was absorbed into Sonic Team (AM8) — but that drove away the studio head, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, and a bunch of staff. They left Sega and formed Q Entertainment, creating the Meteos, Lumines, Every Extend Extra and Ninety-Nine Nights franchises, as well as Child of Light. Those could have been Sega games.

Then of course you have Yu Suzuki leaving AM2 and becoming an "adviser" to Sega while starting his own studio, YS.Net, and you have Yuji Naka leaving Sonic Team with nearly a dozen others to start up Prope, which is still affiliated with Sega but not owned by it.

And if anyone's wondering where the director of the Panzer Dragoon games, Yukio Futatsugi, went, he made Phantom Dust at Microsoft before joining up with Mineko Okamura (who worked at United Game Artists!) at her company, Grounding Inc., where they made Crimson Dragon. They make iPhone games now, though.

Love your flow chart btw

Thanks!

[edit]
I've been curious about this so did a few minutes of research on it. The first batch of people is studio heads and the second batch is just people who worked on games I personally think are significant. Obviously there are a lot more employees at the company so this is not close to being close to exhaustive.

Untitled.png

Edit: The studio names in the first column are historic studios, which preceded the studio names in the second column.

good stuff, man

GAF lets me down once in a while but I see the Valkyria and Sakura Wars love (needs more) and then I'm good.

I mean, well, Valkyria Chronicles has outsold all the Final Fantasy games on Steam except for VII (According to SteamSpy), there's certainly a market for VC2 and 3. Hell, I think the whole "Graphics" argument against VC2 and 3 is kinda invalidated when FF7's Steam sales are 800k~ and is the worst looking of the FF games on Steam.

Aki-at

I know they exists in some form, but in early 2000, those team had a unique identity. In fact, I believe that was the idea originally, give him a fair amount of freedom. Also talent exodus.

Smilebit becoming a Mario & Sonic's machine, is preposterous

Love your flow chart btw

Smilebit has always made sports game, they were the original developers for the "Let's Make A... Team" series. Infact the people who created the Jet Set Radio were the ones merged into what has become the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and the rest split to make the sports division.

I hope people keep their expectations in check but at the same time not hand wave this away as some sort of PR statement.

Satomi rarely gives out interviews for the SEGA side of the business (Can't say I know what he does for the Sammy side since I have no interest for them.) and the last time was back in 2006. I think we're going to get more localisations and they're going to take their time in development of their new games (Alien, DoW3, Sonic Next and Total Warhammer all had/have 3+ years of development.) I don't necessarily think this means a return to classic SEGA franchises but it bodes well for the future of the company's core video game business.

I thought you lived in Japan as a teacher?
I do live in Japan but living here has nothing to do with my ability to play but more how and who I want to play with. I just want more options than just Japanese servers. This game deserves international audiences and it was a very short sighted move to never bring it to the west after announcing it in the west.

This game deserves to be international like the last one on the Dreamcast,PC, and GameCube. It shouldn't require patching and fussing to get people outside the region to play. I played the Japanese version for a while but my friends back stateside don't want to bother with all the extra steps. So I pretty much gave up following the scene. Hence my desire for this game to be in the west.

Aki-at

I do live in Japan but living here has nothing to do with my ability to play but more how and who I want to play with. I just want more options than just Japanese servers. This game deserves international audiences and it was a very short sighted move to never bring it to the west after announcing it in the west.

This game deserves to be international like the last one on the Dreamcast,PC, and GameCube. It shouldn't require patching and fussing to get people outside the region to play. I played the Japanese version for a while but my friends back stateside don't want to bother with all the extra steps. So I pretty much gave up following the scene. Hence my desire for this game to be in the west.

I right gotcha, I understand now.

I'm not sure why it's been such a huge issue for them, especially with their PC focus too. Flies in the face of what they're doing and I can only guess they didn't get arrangements for someone to help co-publish it for them in the West or something.

Smilebit has always made sports game, they were the original developers for the "Let's Make A... Team" series. Infact the people who created the Jet Set Radio were the ones merged into what has become the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and the rest split to make the sports division.

I dont think Smilebit has anything to do with the yakuza studio. Yakuza studio has roots in Amusement Vision which itself was AM11 before Nagoshi took over. Smilebit was successor of AM6.

Aki-at

I dont think Smilebit has anything to do with the yakuza studio. Yakuza studio has roots in Amusement Vision which itself was AM11 before Nagoshi took over. Smilebit was successor of AM6.

Amusement Vision and Smilebit were merged to become what is now Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. People like Masayoshi Kikuchi and Masayoshi Yokoyama were part of the Jet Set Radio team before moving on and becoming part of the Yakuza development staff.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

No, he's correct. Check my flowchart.

Most of Smilebit went on to become Sports R&D, while a smaller portion moved into Team Yakuza. Meanwhile, most of Amusement Vision formed Team Yakuza while a smaller portion joined Sports R&D.

This made me happy, really. I'm glad that they know what the costumer want. Looking forward to TGS!

P.S: PG said some Bayonetta news will be coming in 2015, and we haven't had any yet, so maybe TGS? I hope SEGA gets back to the Bayonetta series :)
Oh, I forgot all about them saying there was gonna be Bayo news in 2015.

I think they can still have an identity without being split off into semi-autonomous companies. AM2 has a distinct identity. CS1 and CS2 are Team Yakuza and Sonic Team, which have strong identities.

And while I've argued a bit in this thread that Sega still has a lot of operational studios capable of making home console (and PC) games, I have to admit that talent exodus is a problem that's struck Sega. Just one example:

Part of Smilebit, AM6, (as well as the head of Hitmaker, AM3,) was broken off in 2000 to become United Game Artists, which called itself AM9 when making Space Channel 5. It also made Rez. Ahead of the 2004 restructuring of all of Sega's studios, much of United Game Artists was absorbed into Sonic Team (AM8) — but that drove away the studio head, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, and a bunch of staff. They left Sega and formed Q Entertainment, creating the Meteos, Lumines, Every Extend Extra and Ninety-Nine Nights franchises, as well as Child of Light. Those could have been Sega games.

Then of course you have Yu Suzuki leaving AM2 and becoming an "adviser" to Sega while starting his own studio, YS.Net, and you have Yuji Naka leaving Sonic Team with nearly a dozen others to start up Prope, which is still affiliated with Sega but not owned by it.

And if anyone's wondering where the director of the Panzer Dragoon games, Yukio Futatsugi, went, he made Phantom Dust at Microsoft before joining up with Mineko Okamura (who worked at United Game Artists!) at her company, Grounding Inc., where they made Crimson Dragon. They make iPhone games now, though.

I agree with you. I've been following Futatsugi, Mizuguchi and Naka's journey out of Sega (I preordered Rodea for instance) and I wish that they returns to Sega in the future. I really hope that Sega gives some freedom to their teams to create new things too.

For example, I believe that Sonic Team is currently developing Sonic 25th and supporting PSO2 but I think that a small team could be working in something else as brilliant as Nights, Chuchu Rocket or Burning Rangers

Videoneon

Oh, I forgot all about them saying there was gonna be Bayo news in 2015.

I don't remember this? I just googled around and I guess it's true.

But I don't know what exactly they'd plan to do. Maybe a spinoff? I know Kamiya said he didn't mind doing a small game on Jeanne at some point.

Dremark

Banned
Valkyria Chronicles Defense Force reporting in, did someone say 2 and 3 PC?

Y'know, there doesn't necessarily have to be a full remaster. Just upscale the UI textures and keep the rest of the assets as-is like with Jet Set Radio's PC port.

I think the major problem a VC2 PC port would have though is figuring out what to do with the multiplayer component since it wasn't internet based before and ad-hoc isn't a thing with PCs.

Also, VC has sold at LEAST 460k on Steam. If getting those numbers to buy into VC2/3 wouldn't cover porting/localization costs @ a pricing of $30-40, I don't know what would.

The issue with doing the releases on Steam is the the games will look awful if they are just left that way. They'd also have to completely localize the third game.

You're left with a pair of games that will look awful cost more to port and do not have the same reputation as the first game has. VC seems to have done well on Steam but it's a game they had already made thier money on, was in good shape for a port and was priced at $20 with a lot of the sales priced even lower.

Basically what I'm saying is it's a lot riskier than you seem to view it as. I'm not saying it would lose money, but I could see it being a failure largely because these games aren't going to hold up as well for a number of reasons.

artsi

For me the main problem of VC2 and VC3 was how small the levels were compared to VC1 because of PSP limitations, I don't know if I want a remaster of those for that reason.

Castef

Banned
Nice Sega, nice.

Now. Here is what you are about to announce then:
- HD Remaster of Skies of Arcadia (Legends)
- Sega Racing Collection: Includes HD versions of Daytona, Sega Rally, the recent Out Run and of course Scud Racer.
- Do you remember that Panzer Dragoon Saga?
- Put a proper Nights sequel into production. This time with a bit of budget too.

And, most of all...

- Produce a f%%king nice 2D Sonic game.

This could be a nice start.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
They can start with a new Daytona USA game. I think the NASCAR video game license changed hands again, and that this year's title is the last one for Eutechnyx.

Or they can just get Microsoft to fund it as an Xbox One exclusive, they already have the Daytona International Speedway licence since that track is set to appear in Forza Motorsport 6.

Get sonic and start again.
And outrun.
and shenmue 1 and 2 HD.
and a new Crazi Taxi by criterion :)

Or a new Crazy Taxi by Stainless Games. Just take the Carmageddon: Reincarnation engine, remove the pedestrian murdering, and take it from there.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
No matter how much this is legit or not... it's still nice to hear a public statement from companies that basically say "Yea we fucked up."

So refreshing especially during these times of constant consumer bashing/blaming.

BradC00

Now. Here is what you are about to announce then:
- HD Remaster of Skies of Arcadia (Legends)
- Do you remember that Panzer Dragoon Saga?
- Put a proper Nights sequel into production. This time with a bit of budget too.

Yup. I'd rather have PDS remake instead of FF7. I mean I want FF7, but PDS MOAR!

Well, one easy and cost-free thing they can do now if they want to ingratiate themselves with current and past consumers of theirs is to okay all the X360 games they can for BC on X1. I'd love to play VF 5, VF5FS as well as VF2, Fighting Vipers, and their M2 emulations again on the newer system than be forced to buy again.

There's nothing that will make "fans" excited and at the same time, make Sega money.

Really interested in what it is. Hope it works out for them.

There's nothing that will make "fans" excited and at the same time, make Sega money.
If they put their already released X360 GoD/XBLA games into the X1 digital store via BC, they can do both. Other than that, they can make better choices about who they serve first and stop wasting money appealing to an audience that isn't there, as they do with the constant and terrible reinventions of Sonic. They need to stop the AAA envy that many Japanese publishers got caught up in last gen and get back to basics.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'd be heartened by this if it was 5-years-ago Atlus, but lately their release catalog has been getting uncomfortably heavy on animu creeplord bait, recycled Megaten releases, and shameless Persona whoring. I'm not sure the lesson learned was a good one.

TimmiT

[Update: Sega provided the following statement to Destructoid today, July 22: "Seeing our fans across the world respond to our recent interview with Famitsu, lets us know we've made the right first step in acknowledging who we are and where we want to be. Sega is dedicated to bringing you quality gaming experiences and becoming a brand you love and trust again." -- Haruki Satomi, CEO of Sega Games]
http://www.destructoid.com/sega-kno...atlus-taught-it-how-to-be-better-295533.phtml

Good to know that he's looking at what people are saying about SEGA online at least.

By the way, the interview was done by the new CEO of the SEGA Games division.

Oregano

I just hope they remember there's more than just PlayStation, especially in the west. I'm looking at you Square Enix!

Hmm, just on the tip of my mind, with how aggressively Sega has been pushing VC1 on Steam, with constant sales and being Day 1 Top of Front Page on the 2015 Summer Sale, anyone think something is being teased? I mean, most of their previous non-Sonic PC ports dropped out of relevance after their first month, opposite of how Sega is doing their damnest to keep VC1 relevant on Steam.

(Though I guess it might have to do with Valkyria Chronicles basically being their best selling non-Sonic PC port, hell, in fact outselling most of the Sonic games on Steam)

Lucc

Man, Valkyria Chronicles for home console.. no remake, no port. I want a new full budget home console one and my trust in SEGA would be back..

Top Bottom