• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega's marketing plan and target audience for Aliens: Colonial Marines revealed

I thought that it was really stupid. Now I don't even want finish it.

I was stuck at some part where you have to punch a big Alien with that Mech Suit. It was really glitchy, like the Alien got stuck in walls, and then the game crashed. So I gave up.

It was stupid but it was also a breath of fresh air from all the mindless shooting not only that but it was the only place where you could feel abit of tension.

As for that part, I too got stuck but I restarted my last checkpoint and it worked lol, It was a boss fight from what I remember, The big ass alien Rhino thing.

Steve Gibson sounds like a goto guy.

Never thought they would use so many cuss words in a marketing document. Feels weirdly unprofessional.

Really, I would never imagine that the guy who created Shacknews would be unprofessional.

I'm Shocked! Shocked!

Seriously though, this doesn't matter. The game wasn't very good. The right marketing wouldn't have saved it. End of story.

I find it weird how unprofessionally written everything is. I kind of expected internal company documents to avoid words like 'badass'. Is this fairly normal?

Very normal if this is coming from an agency pitch for a Mature title.

You probably wouldn't see this in an internal pitch to Japan.

Or for a game intended to be rated E10+.

EDIT: Burt seriously, I read these things on a regular basis and there isn't anything really that shocking in here. And anyone who thinks that a licensed product isn't aimed largely at a tangentially familiar audience rather than the core fans has probably never worked in marketing. This is, however, what people don't want consumers seeing, the smoke and mirrors part of marketing. Certainly getting some dirty laundry aired in the court systems...

Very normal if this is coming from an agency pitch for a Mature title.

You probably wouldn't see this in an internal pitch to Japan.

Or for a game intended to be rated E10+.

EDIT: Burt seriously, I read these things on a regular basis and there isn't anything really that shocking in here. And anyone who thinks that a licensed product isn't aimed largely at a tangentially familiar audience rather than the core fans has probably never worked in marketing. This is, however, what people don't want consumers seeing, the smoke and mirrors part of marketing. Certainly getting some dirty laundry aired in the court systems...

Yeah, I used to work for an agency that did some work for 2K Games (coincidentally) and this kind of language is par for the course in pitch documents and the like.

jblank83

This is how it is for every single big budget game ever, and a fair proportion of smaller games as well. Making the 'best game possible' just isn't enough, and it's a naive viewpoint to say it is. Everything needs to make money. Keeping costs down is a part of that.

Edit: Even radio stations (or at least the low budget one I worked at) have these sorts of documents and proposals.

No, I disagree. I have indeed worked in software development, at some very large companies. I have read pitch documents. It's telling how hard the first document pushes the demographic attack and how desperately it wants to portray quality. Quality quality quality.

It's baldfaced licensed dreck.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I click the link to that E3 demo every time I see it. I had been waiting years for an atmospheric, survival-themed, Colonial Marine FPS that visited the Hadleys Hope colony. It pains me to think the very game that I thought would end the wait turned out so bad that I will likely never get the game I want.

I will never forgive Gearbox for this. I should really stop watching that demo, it was about as interactive as the film.

Krejlooc

Banned
No, I disagree. I have indeed worked in software development, at some very large companies. I have read pitch documents. It's telling how hard the first document pushes the demographic attack and how desperately it wants to portray quality. Quality quality quality.

Did you work in entertainment?

anybody want to watch a blockbuster action or science-fiction DVD with me later? I've been practicing headshots all day and need a cooldown

Ha, no thanks man. There are just way too many quality games on the market right now - and not enough time to play them all! I am rather suspicious of any new IP, though.

Banned
Boy, if I submitted that kind of marketing plan to my professor in college, I would get an F and slapped in the face. How unprofessional.

Yes, a marketing major here.

Scum

Wow.

nope this gif is missing the "U WOT M8" dialogue ;)

71606.gif

It's pretty dispicable their general attitude and approach with this game. They were essentially just trying to get away with the biggest con they could without getting caught. Too bad they got caught (or held accountable anyway, as it were).

Paul Marketing just building up false hype. Same things will probably happen with Sunset Overdrive.

Really? Please elaborate.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If anything, I like how this demonstrates that marketing is more than just tv commercials. Comprehensive plan for promotion, market segmentation, and strategy all compiled. I suspect our next "teh marketing!!!" thread has been delayed by ten minutes.

Revven

Honestly, this is really fascinating to read especially for me considering I'm majoring in communication and have taken some college classes that tended to discuss some of marketing and the process. I am surprised at the language in the document, though. But it seems like from some other posters this is pretty normal for a Mature title and a document like this.

In any case, it's great insight into what these people are thinking with their marketing for games nowadays. I mean, you sort of assume this is what they think but the fact that it's actually what you assumed is kind of surreal. Seeing the words "badass shooter" in there is... funny because of how well it matches up to what most people assume they're going for with a game like this (or with most shooters in general).

npa189

Just a flaming pile of garbage, I'm still angry about pre-ordering this turd and I could give two shits about what Gearbox does in the future. Frankly they deserve to be sued after what they tried to pass off as a game. Sega should get every dime they can.

Chucker

Somebody tell gearbox as a whole that they need to find another word to describe something other than "badass".
Borderlands was originally called badass gun Gaiden in Japan, I hear.

Spaghetti

pitchford sounds like a fucking asshole.

that proposition document is funny though, way too casual for a corporate document.

Haunted

satisfy both retail and press in one presentation, then one group can enthuse the other and vice versa
negotiating coverage on the metric-influencing websites with news as much as seeded assets
delicious.

Which metric-influencing website netted itself the 1-week exclusive coverage before release? Who has the best negotiators to generate mutually beneficial deals with publishers?
(It was EGM)
Generate hype, hype generates clicks, making sure the metacritic curve doesn't fall behind too much so the publisher is inclined to negotatiate the next deal with the same site - and everyone's happy!

Well, except gamers believing positive preview coverage and buying a shit game, but they're not important. Their memory is short and the next hyped release is just around the corner... every time.

Opiate made some excellent posts on the hype machine and its negative influence on the industry as a whole.

This is a very interesting glimpse of all the bull that happens behind the scenes. It seems the entire basis of what to allow press and users to see is a giant game of stop loss to minimize damage to any product no matter what.

I remember seeing ACM in a theater at E3. Pitchford was there and a great hype man for the game and what we saw in the theater was incredible - 60 FPS, fantastic visuals and sound with a mass of aliens, explosions and power loaders at the end.

The industry is getting shady with what's previewed and what the final product is. What is shown at E3 (developer controlled previews cough cough) just can't be trusted anymore.

DeVeAn

Soooooooo is this why Sega does not have the resources to localize the Yakuza 5? What a mess this is. I hope justice is served soon on this one.

KJRS_1993

I'm not disagreeing with you, of course quality is a major focus. But alongside that is also the question "who can we target this towards to make the most money"?
The product being of a high quality and it being marketed well aren't mutually exclusive.

QaaQer

delicious.

Which metric-influencing website netted itself the 1-week exclusive coverage before release? Who has the best negotiators to generate mutually beneficial deals with publishers?
(It was EGM)
Generate hype, hype generates clicks, making sure the metacritic curve doesn't fall behind too much so the publisher is inclined to negotatiate the next deal with the same site - and everyone's happy!

Well, except gamers believing positive preview coverage and buying a shit game, but they're not important. Their memory is short and the next hyped release is just around the corner... every time.

Opiate made some excellent posts on the hype machine and its negative influence on the industry as a whole.

The
negotiating coverage on the metric-influencing websites with news as much as seeded assets
quote is about as close as we've gotten to seeing the underbelly.

And, although very OT, it makes me wish the US govt regulators brought things to court instead of running the shakedown racket they do because people never get to see internal documents. If only there were some prosecutions of the criminals behind the global meltdown, we might have more insight into how the world actually works and how it can be changed.

Soooooooo is this why Sega does not have the resources to localize the Yakuza 5? What a mess this is. I hope justice is served soon on this one.

What's funny is if they localize Yakuza 5, they'll have the money they would've gotten for Aliens.

Man, there's no scenario out of this I can imagine Pitchford getting off.

Top Bottom