• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekaiju no Meikyuu DS (Etrian Odyssey) Famitsu scans

Lee N

Membre
Wow, you draw your own maps on the bottom screen? This is something I've wanted in a DS game since the machine was announced.

Back in the days of no automap in games I always used to draw maps on paper, and it would be awesome to get to do it in a way where it's actually a part of the gameplay. Zelda Phantom Hourglass seem to go halfway there by letting you make notes on the map, but drawing maps is so much better.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This will be the game which will finally make duckroll buy a DS. This and Zelda DS. About time you non-fun-loving criminal.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They need to release a movie, or at least play another song clip during their podcast. I want to hear more of Yuzo's music.

duckroll

From the wiki neo has posted, I noticed that many of details were from the demo impressions I translated in another thread eons ago. Anyway here are some details I don't remember seeing before:

- The options include Automap on/off, but you cannot change the control scheme.
- There's only one save file, haters of BoF5DQ am cry.
- The town stuff is exactly like Wizardry, with the different places in the town serving your different pre and post dungeon needs.
- Each class has it's own weapon masteries and boosts.
- Combat is turn-based and menu based.
- After each encounter new items and monsters will be saved and recorded into the lists.
- The classes look really varied. I'm not going to translate all the details but they definitely have varied differences and strengths/weaknesses and it's not just the same thing with different weapons copied and pasted.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tempy said:
Same character designer!
Is it? I know the team was a mix of the people who worked on Trauma Center and Devil Summoner, but I thought the composer and character designer were freelancers.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Is it? I know the team was a mix of the people who worked on Trauma Center and Devil Summoner, but I thought the composer and character designer were freelancers.

Same director!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Drawing your own maps instead of automapping seems like such a pointless and yet interesting idea to put in a game.

Aeana

duckroll said:
Based on the classes, abilities and so on, I can safely say that this is Wizardry x SMT in everything but in name. :)

*Swoons*
I am so excited about this game. I was pretty upset when SMT3 ended up third-person (though it obviously turned out very well); I'm glad they're going back to this again. And the DS Wizardry game is great, but it was a little lacking. This should be totally awesome.

The mapping system might seem 'pointless' but drawing your own maps was just part of the fun in older FP RPGs. I actually still did it in SMT1 even though they added a mapping system because it wasn't very convenient to access the map in that game. Having a map-drawing system built in will just save on the graphing paper!

Cannot wait!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the map system in SMT1 was a nightmare, having to access the menu just to see the map was :(

SMT2 thankfully introduced a hot key for that but still most dungeons in that game were mazes so even then you still can get lost hehe. I never drew my own maps for games but still seems like a cool idea.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Mr. Pointy said:
This will own everything on DS. Even F-Zero DX whenever that decides to be birthed from Sega AV, EAD and Sony Liverpool.

I think Capcom wouldn't be happy to publish a game with Sony Liverpool hands on it. Just like they did not wanted to suply more copies of Castelvania on the DS, because the game was not good.

Top Bottom