• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ibnS39k.gif

mcjmetroid

I'm at the Corrupted Monk right now, killed all the extra bosses so far. Cheesed, mostly.
I'm just not convinced of the poise bar system. It's just annoying, especially when you face some boss who attacks relentlessly and a deflect here and there isn't enough. I lovevd the Genichiro fight, but
Owl
was bullshit, so I just did what I did with the Ape and the Monk apparition: ran around him and gave him a quick 2 mortal blade slashes after certain moves that left him open. Basically never blocked. I didn't even find him hard, just not fun to play against, because if you play "properly" he can just spam attacks and fuck up your poise bar.
Yeah, I'm not enjoying most of the bosses. But I love the levels and stealth play (Mt. Kongo is by far my favourite zone).

I love this girl. She's so incredibly funny and knowledgeable.

P.S.
Fuck farming confetti just because they're mandatory for a few boss fights.
The confetti is my big red mark against the game so far. If it was just one or two bosses you needed it against fine but I'm counting at least 5 and about 7 where it would have made it a lot easier.

nkarafo

It's an organic moment in gameplay (in slow motion, of course). The player can learn the same Ashina Cross combat art as that miniboss uses.
Yeah i know. I was commenting about how great it looks that someone could confuse it for a scripted moment.

Platinum achieved this morning.

Gratz.

I finally beat a final bosses, genichiro is a joke, isshin took me a few tries but still manageable. Running around after phase 2 baiting his jump attack was a silly idea. Way better and faster is standing near him and deflect + mikiri counter every now and then. Overall such a fun (no bullshit like a fucking demon of hatred) fight. Parrying/returning lighting attacks is such a great mechanic imo.

I think when it comes to difficulty, when combat finally "clicked" for me, it really seem kinda easier than other souls games if you learn attack patterns and combine deflect with fast reply.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have just been f’ing around all morning, going through all nooks and crannies and defeating optional mini bosses like General Yamauchi. I am at the point where there is really nothing else left than the boss on the horse guarding the gate. Any words of wisdom?

I have just been f’ing around all morning, going through all nooks and crannies and defeating optional mini bosses like General Yamauchi. I am at the point where there is really nothing else left than the boss on the horse guarding the gate. Any words of wisdom?
Knock his dick in the dirt. And fire crackers make that boss easy.

Kamina

Golden Boy
FUCK YES
I just murdered the final boss!

Had some failures before, but suddenly i countered almost every attack and hurt him good. Final phase was so short.
I am full of adrenaline now!
1389626696598.gif

Last edited:

Shifty

-You'd be surprised what you can block.
-Abuse firecrackers to scare the horse for free damage.
-Using the grapple will stun him for a brief moment so you can get a few free hits.

mcjmetroid

Don't be afraid to block. This is the boss fight that made me transition from the bloodborne combat to this. Firecrackers make it easier but if you know what you're doing with the blocks you won't need them. Since it's so early in the game I don't even know if parrying is a good idea.

Also the "grapple hook attack" is a skill you can get pretty much straight away. I'd advise using that.

Terenty

Ive been trying to kill the last boss for literally 7 hours and still going, not sure im a fan of this "memorize every step of the battle" approach to bosses

Last edited:

Terenty

Finally beat the last boss.

Overall a great game, id put it slightly behind the first Dark Souls, but much better than Bloodbourne, DS 2 and DS 3

JimiNutz

Banned
I've hit a bit of a brick wall.
On one path I have Lone Shadow Longswordsman and on the other path I have Seven Ashina Spears.

Both are absolutely destroying me and I've made no progress on either one in several hours.

The mini bosses and bosses in this game are so fucking hard!

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
On one path I have Lone Shadow Longswordsman and on the other path I have Seven Ashina Spears.

Both are absolutely destroying me and I've made no progress on either one in several hours.

Both are also optional.

Are you getting stealth attacks off on them?

JimiNutz

Banned
Both are also optional.

Are you getting stealth attacks off on them?

Yep, stealth attacking both so only have to deliver one deathblow. I've also tried using both fistful of ash and firecrackers to disrupt their attacks. I just seem to do such little damage to them both when I do actually land attacks of my own.

I also manage to deflect or counter them but that seems to do small amounts of posture damage as well and they inevitably kill me towards the end of each fight. The camera against Lone Shadow Longswordsman is brutal as well since the cave you figh him in is so small and confined.

Maybe I just need to take a break and come back to them.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep, stealth attacking both so only have to deliver one deathblow. I've also tried using both fistful of ash and firecrackers to disrupt their attacks. I just seem to do such little damage to them both when I do actually land attacks of my own.

I also manage to deflect or counter them but that seems to do small amounts of posture damage as well and they inevitably kill me towards the end of each fight. The camera against Lone Shadow Longswordsman is brutal as well since the cave you figh him in is so small and confined.

Maybe I just need to take a break and come back to them.

Is your deflection and counter game on-point? Bosses tend to have huge vitality bars, so you'll need to break posture.

ComfyPants

Neo Member
Welp, somehow my base PS4 save file got corrupted and won't load. Says I have to delete and start over. I had just beaten Guardian this morning...guess I won't be beating Sekiro :messenger_weary:

I'd keep checking this guy's channel. Some of the cheese available in this game is legitimately shocking. So that takes care of Mr. Spears.

The Lone Shadow Swordsman can also be cheesed, shown on this guy's channel. But to fight him legitimately, just know that his unblockable kick is a thrust and can be Mikiri Countered. And use Whirlwind Slash on him (and most bosses) since it does chip damage even when blocked.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is your deflection and counter game on-point? Bosses tend to have huge vitality bars, so you'll need to break posture.

I'm not perfect with it no. My deflections are not great and I think a lot of them actually only end up being blocked rather that properly deflected. My counter game is a bit better and I do usually successfully Mikiri counter both bosses but obviously not enough times to break posture (although I have come close).

I just need to get good. I'll come back to it and practice some more so that I'm more consistent with the parry.

I'd keep checking this guy's channel. Some of the cheese available in this game is legitimately shocking. So that takes care of Mr. Spears.

The Lone Shadow Swordsman can also be cheesed, shown on this guy's channel. But to fight him legitimately, just know that his unblockable kick is a thrust and can be Mikiri Countered. And use Whirlwind Slash on him (and most bosses) since it does chip damage even when blocked.

I'll check these out but I'm trying to avoid using cheese. I didn't know that Whirlwind Slash does chip damage when blocked though so I'll try to use that more. Thanks.

I'm not perfect with it no. My deflections are not great and I think a lot of them actually only end up being blocked rather that properly deflected. My counter game is a bit better and I do usually successfully Mikiri counter both bosses but obviously not enough times to break posture (although I have come close).

I just need to get good. I'll come back to it and practice some more so that I'm more consistent with the parry.

I'll check these out but I'm trying to avoid using cheese. I didn't know that Whirlwind Slash does chip damage when blocked though so I'll try to use that more. Thanks.
It's huge. It slowly chips them down, and chipping them down slowly makes their posture regen much, much slower.

Ive been trying to kill the last boss for literally 7 hours and still going, not sure im a fan of this "memorize every step of the battle" approach to bosses

Mikiri counter after his 4 slash combo is a key to breaking his posture and winning fight imo.

-
Somehow I ended up not doing divine child quest, got past the point where I could eat rice ball in front of kuro and she didn't go to illusion halls ;( need to remember about it for ng+

Valonquar

Welp stuck on Owl (Father) I guess I'll try another route. Hmm, Demon of Hatred is retardos hard, maybe I'll just farm some more skill points and try another direction. WTF 2 miniboss tag team in tiny fog locked room FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Welp stuck on Owl (Father) I guess I'll try another route. Hmm, Demon of Hatred is retardos hard, maybe I'll just farm some more skill points and try another direction. WTF 2 miniboss tag team in tiny fog locked room FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
yeah demon of hatred is most retarded and hardest boss fight in sekiro imo
but 2 miniboss tag team in tiny fog locked room? what are you talking about :eek:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
yeah demon of hatred is most retarded and hardest boss fight in sekiro imo
but 2 miniboss tag team in tiny fog locked room? what are you talking about :eek:
Demo of Haterd is hard but not impossible. Once you get used his attack patterns and time your jump his charge attack you can beat him. For example: if his using his long range attack then you should get close to him, because not only you are safer but it has nice opening for attack.

nkarafo

OK i think my skills are capped at the final boss. I can't see myself beating that shit.

At least i explored the whole game and beat all other bosses, including all optional ones. So i got 99% of the content.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
OK i think my skills are capped at the final boss. I can't see myself beating that shit.

At least i explored the whole game and beat all other bosses, including all optional ones. So i got 99% of the content.
Like said this before, the final boss here basically has everything you learned through out the game. Heck, he even bring out most of the weapons you saw in other enemies in his 2nd and 3rd phase.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The confetti is my big red mark against the game so far. If it was just one or two bosses you needed it against fine but I'm counting at least 5 and about 7 where it would have made it a lot easier.

big red mark? you can easily farm them from the Ashina Castle bottom floor, there is a loop of 3 blue ninja dudes in the dojo you can stealth kill (plus an old lady) that give you Divine Confetti. doesn't take long to farm 4 or 5 of them, enough for several boss attempt. pop a balloon and you get even more.

fighting the Corrupted Monk myself. i am just getting down the timing for the boss fight, i figured you can roll through a lot of his attacks if you time it right, and ill probably head to Ashina Castle to grind some Confetti and take him out for good. i really love this Mibu Village, it is quite beautiful. makes me want to get one of those light up Chinese waterfalls you see in old school restaurants.

O'Rin was a cool fight but i found a way to cheese it as she chased me back to the idol and this one rock was magnetic or something, stunned her into walking in place. hey, these games are tough, i will take anything i can get ;-)

Last edited:

nkarafo

Like said this before, the final boss here basically has everything you learned through out the game. Heck, he even bring out most of the weapons you saw in other enemies in his 2nd and 3rd phase.
Yeah but it's like an endurance test. It's too long. Being able to perform well for a long period of time without many screw ups is not one of my strengths.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Huh, I can’t believe I missed the tent with the guy selling the firecrackers despite passing it a dozen times :O would have helped with the orc too no doubt

The Ogre is susceptible to flame damage, you get that from Hirata Estate, if you spoke to the lady at the ransacked house she gives you a magic bell to time travel

Chittagong

Gold Member
The Ogre is susceptible to flame damage, you get that from Hirata Estate, if you spoke to the lady at the ransacked house she gives you a magic bell to time travel

Huh, time travel? I got the item from her but didn’t use it. Is Hirata estate the ransacked house?

mcjmetroid

Corrupted monk battle. Hmm not impossible but I'll try it again tomorrow I'd say. I'm hearing scary things about the final battle although I know nothing yet. Scary

#Phonepunk#

Banned
victory over the Corrupted Monk for me! ended up using my last 2 Confettis plus popping Ako's Sugar for the attack buff and also using 3 Snap Seeds to do some mega damage/stun. those are really OP for the first half of this fight, they are as good as the fireworks.

really this is the most beautiful game they have made yet. some of these areas are just... i walk in and it's... the most pretty magical sun dappled forest with a waterfall. a nice counter balance to the grim industrial ironworks of Bloodborne! the forests, gardens, caves, etc. in this, all the natural environments, are looking really nice. this is where the game really shines.

upon winning against the monk i was gifted something i'd heard about and omg lo and behold this is the most fun ever, now i am hunting Treasure Carp
underwater

Last edited:

Shifty

You can double stealth kill
True Corrupted Monk
Holy friggin' moly.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Dunno if it helps but, that's how I dealt with him

Last edited:

Shifty

I wish I knew that when I first faced him but in the end I beat him in old fashion way.
Me too. I find myself wondering if it's intentional or some emergent property of the stealth system, but the fact that you can do it twice makes me think it has to be designed.

You can double stealth kill
True Corrupted Monk
Holy friggin' moly.

I kept trying to do that on my first playthrough to see if you could since I thought it was weird you could already be in the tree before he popped up, yet never could get it to work, so figured it was phase 2 only. Then I saw someone else do it the next day and saw it was a timing thing. Was all "damn!" Still not too bad since I already had figured out the tricks for other 2 phases. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Top Bottom