• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my second play through I got Shura ending. For its last boss Isshin’s fire attack were super deadly.

Final boss spoilers.
I can do phase one 95% of the time without getting hit. I can get phase 2 down about 80% of the time but phase 3 is getting me. Any tips I should know about?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Fountain Palace can go fuck itself.

Forget this whole 'get good' logic, why does this place have to be such a fuck?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
anyone have tips for
Guardian Ape?
feel like im making no progress at all here lol. is dodging super important for this fight or can i get by with block/parry?

anyone have tips for
Guardian Ape?
feel like im making no progress at all here lol. is dodging super important for this fight or can i get by with block/parry?
Hit him with oil then the flame vent. This gives you a massive window for free damage but I don't think it's as effective in stage 2.I think block and parry were my go to, and when he roared I sprinted back away from him.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Senpou Temple - I got the flower, found the secret door, and I found the bell.
I'm missing something. I tried jumping off the cliff thinking I could somehow latch on somewhere. lol Nope!

mcjmetroid

She would be, if there werent a nice workaround for dirty cheating shinobis like us. It goes like this:

- Jump in the middle of the area, get everybody's attention

- Run away and climb up the rock behind the altar you came from

- Get yourself seen by the enemies though in such angle that they cannot hit you, despite being firing at you. By doing this, the enemies will enter the poison pit and die. Same goes with the boss, but that takes a bit longer. Once her lifebar is depleted, you climb down and deliver the deathstroke. Rinse and repeat.

I'm going to try this tonight!

anyone have tips for
Guardian Ape?

This is a very tricky one. I didnt enjoy it at all because the grab hitboxes are badly broken. Anyway, I found a sort of strategy for non-skilled ones like myself. It relies a bit on luck because his pattern is not always the same. Basically, you get very close to his right side (player's left side) If you are close to him on that side, his grab move will never reach you, You hit him 2-3 times, and as soon as he is starting a combo, guard yourself. In most times this will make him jump back or retreat. You have to close the distance fast so he doesn't get airborne and make the dive-in move. If he jumps and attempts to shoot you the turd ball, you just run below him and wait until he lands to attack him again.

It's an annoying and tiring battle but pretty safe if you do it like this. In the next round, the safest way is to just wait for him to slide in your direction and run toward him from the right side (his left arm) you will stop right beside his belly, 2-3 hits and run away before he charges his special attack. Repeat until he dies.

To speed things up, use firecrackers in the first half of the battle but don't get overconfident or greedy with the attack windows.

Fountain Palace can go fuck itself.

Forget this whole 'get good' logic, why does this place have to be such a fuck?

I love this location. What is the problem? The puppeteer skill comes in handy in this place.

Danjin44

This is a very tricky one. I didnt enjoy it at all because the grab hitboxes are badly broken.
I personally don’t think it’s broken, you need to get the timing when you need start dodging. For example
when he throw his poop you need dodge it after he already throw the poop at you because if try to dodge it while his throwing, it will 100% hit you. It’s same way with his jump grap.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Final boss spoilers.
I can do phase one 95% of the time without getting hit. I can get phase 2 down about 80% of the time but phase 3 is getting me. Any tips I should know about?

I assume you mean the Sword Saint, right?

For me it worked to stay close to him and be aggressive. This will (mostly) prevent him from using his confusing long-range combos with the spear. I usually attacked him twice, then he parries, deflect two of his (sword) attacks, and you can go on the offense again. His quick attacks with the sword you should already know how to deal with from phase 2. His attacks with the spear are slow, and some can be interrupted before they happen. If not, try to deflect. Sometimes he'll try to create space by jumping back and swiping his spear. It is vital that you learn how to deflect those. Usually this move leads into him shooting his gun, followed by one of his unblockable attacks, which are pretty easy to deal with. Depleting his health bar isn't really an option, so you have to keep attacking and deflecting to break his posture.

Another option is to actually skip the third phase. Simply stay close, be aggressive, and don't get hit. He won't even have the chance to summon his spear. I wasn't able to do this however.

Phase four is much easier IMO, so keep at it!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I personally don’t think it’s broken, you need to get the timing when you need start dodging.

yeah the hitboxes are nice for me. the old Souls-style dodge-roll through a projected attack works w him when you time it just right. my big problem is i don't have the timing of his grab attacks down. sometimes i jump away (twice) when i see the danger sign but still get caught, because by the time my first jump lands, he is reaching out, and grabs me during that. feel like i am maybe jumping too early. he always gets me w the grab and smash and there go one of my health potions. as always, it's about timing.

i have gotten pretty good about avoiding the massive flying shits that both do a ton of damage and poison you. just jump away as soon as possible. lol is this the first From boss that has thrown their own waste?

Last edited:
I must be doing something wrong. How do you sneak up on the Drunkard? Is there a certain mechanic that I'm missing? When I kill all of the goons around him and draw him out, I crouch walk behind him and it seems like I can only get a stealth blow half the time. The other times he just randomly gets alerted and turns to attack me. What am I doing wrong that it's inconsistent?

Danjin44

I must be doing something wrong. How do you sneak up on the Drunkard? Is there a certain mechanic that I'm missing? When I kill all of the goons around him and draw him out, I crouch walk behind him and it seems like I can only get a stealth blow half the time. The other times he just randomly gets alerted and turns to attack me. What am I doing wrong that it's inconsistent?
First concentrate on killing the enemies around him, when those guys get alerted so does Drunkard. Just kill one or two and then escape until his only one left.

Grinchy

Banned
O'Rin of the Water is sleepin with the fishes. I actually beat her on my 2nd try. I don't know if I read posts from someone saying it was a bad fight, but I went into it expecting to have to try way more times.

wzy

anyone have tips for
Guardian Ape?

You can parry his attacks for sure. I'm not sure I'd risking dodging his combos because a couple of the hits happen very quickly. If you have the
Umbrella
it's very useful for that fight, but make sure you save your Spirit Emblems.

Graciaus

Is Owl (father) the super boss of this game? I am having so much trouble with this. Can't even consistently make it to the second phase yet.

Couldn't play for a week.

Just got past the guy on the horse and the snake. That was scary lol.

what is up with these midgets with the giant hats? they're tough

Dragonrot questions:

Just got access to Dragonrot restoration. Is there any kind of optimization I should be worrying about here? Should I wait until I am further in the game to cure people so that I can make sure everyone is cured? Should I cure Emma and the Sculptor now?

Danjin44

Dragonrot questions:

Just got access to Dragonrot restoration. Is there any kind of optimization I should be worrying about here? Should I wait until I am further in the game to cure people so that I can make sure everyone is cured? Should I cure Emma and the Sculptor now?
I would say cure after you beat current boss you might stuck in.

Is Owl (father) the super boss of this game? I am having so much trouble with this. Can't even consistently make it to the second phase yet.
He's tough and annoying, but I still would just put him as only 3rd hardest boss at best. Only 2 lifebars and he hits no harder than the final boss and DoH. The camera in the second phase I found was the most deadly attack of the fight.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's very useful for that fight, but make sure you save your Spirit Emblems.

thanks! i hadn't got that one yet so i took a side trip to Ashina Castle and discovered a whole other area i had never explored. this castle is insane, it keeps blowing my mind how many areas you can go to after the Bull.

it really is making all the difference. i've only had 1 fight with the prosthetic but i got him down to 25% health on the last DB right away. it really works like a charm against terror. gonna have to bring this in when i fight some
headless

Last edited:
Made some progress on the final boss this morning.

Got him down to the last phase. Had almost perfect rounds against phase one and two and he didn't whip the spear out in phase 3. Smashed through him in stage 3 and he still didn't change in stage 4. I panicked, got knocked on my ass and he took that opportunity to finally change. Managed to get a half full posture bar on him then ate it. Hopefully I can get him tomorrow.

Graciaus

Finally beat the game with 2/3 bosses I wanted to kill.
owl father fight. I knew I was going to kill him the time I did. I panicked at the end though and took to long for the deathblow. He got back up and kept fighting. Thought for sure I was going to mess up and die.

Sword Saint I was having a little trouble with. But you can end phase 2 and 3 very quickly if you stay on him and parry his easy attacks. The thrust counter I'd never really used in the game but it's very helpful here. I messed up a lightning dodge for the final kill but he ended up doing a thrust right after which I countered for the win.

This demon of hatred fight is garbage though. All this time learning to parry and counter and they throw in a bloodborne boss that you dodge and jump. Tempted to just go to ng+

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm pretty far into the game now and I must say that this has been a really great Souls game. I had my issues early on with it, but once everything came together, I just can't stop appreciating everything they have done with this one.

The level design is pretty damn crazy. Way back in Dark Souls 1, it felt impressive in Undead Burg when you'd be progressing through only to unlock a shortcut that led you back to a previous area. That specific area felt so interconnected. Sekiro is like that area on crack. Some of the places are massive and intricate and then you look out into the distance and recognize a place you were struggling in hours ago.

Gabbelgak

This might be the first souls game I don't play through more than once actually. I miss summoning other people and helping other people on boss fights. I won't have new gear options to try, it just comes down to a different ending.

I'm at the last boss now and I don't know; the game has felt more like a chore than a joy that the usual souls games are to me.

I can't beat phase 3 of demon of hatred, always gonna run out of pots and his flame circle attack is annoying as fuck =_= can I do it after final bosses where I'll get more power?

Last edited:

Danjin44

Finally beat the game with 2/3 bosses I wanted to kill.
owl father fight. I knew I was going to kill him the time I did. I panicked at the end though and took to long for the deathblow. He got back up and kept fighting. Thought for sure I was going to mess up and die.

Sword Saint I was having a little trouble with. But you can end phase 2 and 3 very quickly if you stay on him and parry his easy attacks. The thrust counter I'd never really used in the game but it's very helpful here. I messed up a lightning dodge for the final kill but he ended up doing a thrust right after which I countered for the win.

This demon of hatred fight is garbage though. All this time learning to parry and counter and they throw in a bloodborne boss that you dodge and jump. Tempted to just go to ng+
For Demon of Hatred boss, most of the time you are much safer when you are close to him and you need to time your jump when uses his charge attack. One tip, when he jumps far away, you run toward him because will do long range attacks and it nice chance to get some damage on him.

is there any cheese way to beat this giant faggot? I can rarely go to phase 3 but I just tilt more and more trying to kill him, it's such an annoying fight with constantly running after him around the map and him spamming fireballs which seems I can't even outrun? wtf is this shit... are these 2 last bosses harded than him?

Ehh watching this vid from IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo makes me saltier even more haha, and ofcourse he's not using any of his most stupid attacks here, lol!

is there any cheese way to beat this giant faggot? I can rarely go to phase 3 but I just tilt more and more trying to kill him, it's such an annoying fight with constantly running after him around the map and him spamming fireballs which seems I can't even outrun? wtf is this shit... are these 2 last bosses harded than him?

Ehh watching this vid from IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo makes me saltier even more haha, and ofcourse he's not using any of his most stupid attacks here, lol!
The final whistle upgrade stuns him for a decent amount of time (the one that requires you to beat the shamen in Ashina Depths where you finished off the ape once and for all to get the material required to make it), that's the closest thing to cheese you'll get.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The malcontent whistle only works when he's in a recovery animation between attacks, and it's pretty finicky overall.

I think the fire umbrella is more useful. Instead of running away when he does his air stomp and grappling back in, just deploy the umbrella and stay at ground zero. You'll be able to get a ton of hits in underneath him. If you're struggling with the timings on some of his fire-based attacks in phase 2 and 3 it'll also help a lot with those.

Last edited:
AT LAST HOLY SHIT! Umbrella really does make a difference, although I haven't got any issue with his jump attack tbh. My heart is racing still hahaha. 1 hp pot left after fight and no ressurect icon so these last attacks were nail-biting lol. Equipped whistle but forgot about using it too, haha :)

AT LAST HOLY SHIT! Umbrella really does make a difference, although I haven't got any issue with his jump attack tbh. My heart is racing still hahaha. 1 hp pot left after fight and no ressurect icon so these last attacks were nail-biting lol. Equipped whistle but forgot about using it too, haha :)
I did that so much in this game too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuz

Banned
I'm at the Corrupted Monk right now, killed all the extra bosses so far. Cheesed, mostly.
I'm just not convinced of the poise bar system. It's just annoying, especially when you face some boss who attacks relentlessly and a deflect here and there isn't enough. I lovevd the Genichiro fight, but
Owl
was bullshit, so I just did what I did with the Ape and the Monk apparition: ran around him and gave him a quick 2 mortal blade slashes after certain moves that left him open. Basically never blocked. I didn't even find him hard, just not fun to play against, because if you play "properly" he can just spam attacks and fuck up your poise bar.
Yeah, I'm not enjoying most of the bosses. But I love the levels and stealth play (Mt. Kongo is by far my favourite zone).

WATCHOUT. SPOILERS

I love this girl. She's so incredibly funny and knowledgeable.

P.S.
Fuck farming confetti just because they're mandatory for a few boss fights.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Started the game today and played a couple hours. Absolutely phenomenal, Bloodborne+ mechanics and a Kurosawa world.

Got to a boss on a horse, I do fear that this is as far as I’ll ever make it

Fuz

Banned
anyone have tips for
Guardian Ape?
Phase 1 is super easy when you learn the moves. Just block and walk circling around him on the right. When he drops down and smashes his fists, wait for the second hit then give him a few hits. Phase two... what I did is run away all the time. If he jumps to grab you (easy tell) run away and jump, then run back and hit him a few times. When he jumps to throw shit at you (always after a fart) just run under him and hit when he lands. Takes some time. Never stop running.

Last edited:
I'm at the Corrupted Monk right now, killed all the extra bosses so far. Cheesed, mostly.
I'm just not convinced of the poise bar system. It's just annoying, especially when you face some boss who attacks relentlessly and a deflect here and there isn't enough. I lovevd the Genichiro fight, but
Owl
was bullshit, so I just did what I did with the Ape and the Monk apparition: ran around him and gave him a quick 2 mortal blade slashes after certain moves that left him open. Basically never blocked. I didn't even find him hard, just not fun to play against, because if you play "properly" he can just spam attacks and fuck up your poise bar.
Yeah, I'm not enjoying most of the bosses. But I love the levels and stealth play (Mt. Kongo is by far my favourite zone).

I love this girl. She's so incredibly funny and knowledgeable.

P.S.
Fuck farming confetti just because they're mandatory for a few boss fights.

You can buy confetti later from merchands after beating corrupted monk iirc, just save those few boss fights for later :p

And I tried your tactic with running around owl too, but whereas it worked greatly with ape by baiting his jump attack, it didn't seem to work with owl at all for me, learning pattern of his attacks was easier imo. His one dash attack with fuckton of range fucked up me running away too many times...

Fuz

Banned
You can buy confetti later from merchands after beating corrupted monk
...when it's useless.
And I tried your tactic with running around owl too, but whereas it worked greatly with ape by baiting his jump attack, it didn't seem to work with owl at all for me, learning pattern of his attacks was easier imo. His one dash attack with fuckton of range fucked up me running away too many times...
Well yeah, you have to block here and there. Safest moment to attack is when he shoots 2 shurikens and jumps. Run toward him from the side and you can give him a few hits. Also when he throws the bomb, if you're quick enough to run behind him (most of the time I just ran away, tbh).

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Don’t sleep on the Umbrella, people, especially when it’s upgraded and you can deflect with it — huge posture damage.

Hotspurr

Banned
Finished it.
Last boss was fun. Might one-day repeat to get other endings since they have different endbosses (yes?).

Overall the game gets an 8 from me.

Good:
- fun if played right (aggressively with counters)
- I like the character
- lots of bosses

Meh:
- many people get sucked into cheesing mentality (I've seen enough vids online)
- beating bosses on first try is definitely a nope in most cases no matter how skilled one is (too many FU die in 2 hits moves)
- definitely some cheap boss attacks
- I forgot about the prosthetic arm and rot system half way through, to me it seemed tacked on rather than integral
- dying mechanic is interesting, but didn't really use to trick enemies, more as a second try in case couldn't heal in time

Bad:
- game would have been much more enjoyable without 2 hit combos that insta kill you
- generally the difficulty is a pain and takes away from the fun. I enjoyed bloodborne much more.

sentry65

I love the souls games. Put stupid amount of hours into them with ridiculous self-imposed difficult runs.

This game is neat, but it's hard in a way that's not fun. You can't do any drastic new strategy like you can in the other souls game. The other games you could try different armor, magic, weapons, or summon to beat a boss you're stuck on. In this game, it mainly comes down to dying enough to learn the boss attacks and be quick at parrying.

The areas with normal enemies are relatively easy and the bosses are unfairly hard. I mean, you HAVE to know their pattern and gimmick to kill them. I also feel like your character attacks and reacts too slow relative to the enemies sine the game hinges on reaction speed.

I have the feeling, once I beat this game, I won't want to come back to it

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Finished the game today.

While it wasn’t a bad game by any means, it can’t hold a candle to Dark Souls or Bloodborne — not even close.

Sekiro is the game where From Software went too far with difficulty — the absurd bosses near the end are annoyingly deadly — enough is enough. Yes, we get it Miyazaki, you want us to feel a sense of accomplishment. But many times in Sekiro, this was drowned out by the sense of utter disgust and frustration you’d feel as the spongey bosses would kill you in a swift 2 hit combo and you’d have to start over the 4 phase boss battle as a result of having to blink once at an inopportune moment. You end up feeling a sense of relief that the fight is over, not a sense of accomplishment. This is the antithesis of what was intended.

This game went way past the point of diminishing returns with difficulty, into no mans land. Just wasn’t fun sometimes. I would get to a boss arena, especially in the last 1/2 of the game and just sigh because I knew I had another wall to bang my head against. Sometimes, I’d just turn the game off instead of continuing. This never happened with Souls or the masterful Bloodborne — in those games exploration and discovery were much more in harmony with the challenging combat.

I think this could’ve been avoided had the game not thrown in so many mini-bosses in as well. I remember one stretch of the game where it was mini boss, real boss, mini boss, real boss. All within a 45 minute stretch with very little real estate in between. And these aren’t bosses that can be beaten organically — you need to learn their rhythms and patterns pretty intimately before you can beat them (with some exceptions).

I did love the World, the story, and the characters, as always in From Soft games, these aspects were masterful. And the combat system was well done but far from the peak of the genre.

From Software are excellent developers. I still think they’re one of the best in the industry — and despite everything I’ve said above, I still think a Sekiro is a good game. But to me, going forward, they need to find another way to make their games feel good and be satisfying — ramping up the difficulty in an attempt to satiate your fan base was a risky move and I don’t think it worked out here as well as they hoped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom