• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

#Phonepunk#

Banned
any tips on using the Mist Raven? found this while exploring the bamboo thickets yesterday but not entirely shure how to use it.

Joho79

Productive day indeed. Killed ape, Orin and corrupted monk before bitchslapped by wife.. Real life boss. Much easier when you remember that you rang bell so you could deactivate hard mode. Tried ape too many times before that.

Shifty

any tips on using the Mist Raven? found this while exploring the bamboo thickets yesterday but not entirely shure how to use it.
Think of it as another parry button. If you take a hit during the animation you'll do a long invincible dash in the direction of the stick, and if the stick is neutral you'll teleport up into the air.

It works best with the Fang & Blade skill so you can follow up with a dashing slash or helm breaker to re-close the distance. Later upgrades let you trigger it after taking damage as well as before, and also leave a big fire trail.

I found it most handy to use against bosses and teleport behind them for a free hit. Good way to start a phase and knock off some health so their posture doesn't deplete so fast.

Productive day indeed. Killed ape, Orin and corrupted monk before bitchslapped by wife.. Real life boss. Much easier when you remember that you rang bell so you could deactivate hard mode. Tried ape too many times before that.
The wife boss has infinite posture gauge :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Shifty

Do guys think Sekiro will get DLC similar to Old Hunters in Bloodborne?
Almost definitely. The only From souls-like not to get DLC was Demons' Souls iirc, and there's plenty of stuff in Sekiro that they could flesh out if they wanted to.

The black mortal blade, for one.

The 2nd phase on the ape is really giving me a tough time. His delayed sword swings is fucking with my rhythm.
You can use the spear tool's R2>R2 when he's stunned after parrying certain big attacks. It causes a unique animation and does gonzo posture damage.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Good for you fanbboy, you win the prize of most skilled Sekiro player on Neogef.

I got the PC version and it solved all my issues. The problem was, as I've discussed in the other threads, the gameplay is not suited for a base ps4.
That you were able to finish the game on a base ps4 makes you doubly skillful and a true samurai master!

No, I just don't cry about a game that I didn't learn to play correctly. Has nothing to do with being a fanboy.

The 2nd phase on the ape is really giving me a tough time. His delayed sword swings is fucking with my rhythm.

Go the easy route: wait for him to thrust himself towards you, run to his right side making a slight deviation to the right ( so his sword doesnt hit you) , position yourself beside his belly, hit 2-3 times and run away. Rinse and repeat. It's a draining tactic, but pretty safe.

I am suffering big time against
the owl
. His hitboxes are absolutely fucked up, it feels like cheating from his side. His moveset is easy to read and I know exactly what to do, but I am repeatedly cheesed by his impossible reach. It's so bloody cheap and frustrating. Quite the opposite from O'rin, very hard one but fair.

mcjmetroid

Finally beat my first boss with the mikiri counter , I also finally called it the right thing.

At least getting the word right is the first step!

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Just parry two of his attacks in a row, and he'll (usually) do an overhead swing. The camera even seems to zoom out for it so you know it's coming. Parry that attack, and you'll be able to deal a lot of damage to him while he lies on the floor. Run away after to evade the terror scream.

That's basically the fight. Bait him into doing a combo you know how to deal with, parry twice, deal damage (With spear if you want easy mode. Push the trigger twice.), run away, do it again.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I got some divine confetti for the fight. I farmed some samurai for it.

I loved doing the swirl attack when all those little chimps kept trying to attack you

Do guys think Sekiro will get DLC similar to Old Hunters in Bloodborne?

I would buy it in a heartbeat if they did.

V4skunk

Banned
I'm not there yet, but this "two stealth kill method" sounds intriguing. Can you spoiler tag how to do it? for reference purposes only please? :messenger_neutral::messenger_beaming:

I was way too focused on eating Eel than parrying anything in that final part.
I beat him earlier after around 8 attempts.
I also parry every thing. Didn't bother with Eel, I didn't even get hit by his lightning attack and I even managed to counter one but i was too far away to damage him.
Can't beat L1 spam.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Took me 3 hours to beat the Great Ape and I beat it with like 1HP left. This game is brutal and it was worth the experience, by far the most difficult thing in this game so far.

VertigoOA

Banned
Was acting like I wasn’t getting this but Bloodborne is one of my favorites of all time.

I fucking love this game. Yea it gives me some nioh vibes but the feeling of playing a from game is still something special on its own.

Codes 208

With each attempt I feel I’m getting closer to victory against
Demon of Hatred

Fortunately his attacks are well telegraphed and I’ve pinned down the moments he’ll do his bullshit charge.

tassletine

No, I just don't cry about a game that I didn't learn to play correctly. Has nothing to do with being a fanboy.

Well, you seem to enjoy whining about something. Or bullying people. Carry on.

I'm playing it now on PC and the issues I'm talking have mostly disappeared, so my complaints are valid.
The game has been poorly optimised for a base ps4 and that optimisation effects gameplay.

It's still a bit janky on PC but it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay so much.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Well, you seem to enjoy whining about something. Or bullying people. Carry on.

I'm playing it now on PC and the issues I'm talking have mostly disappeared, so my complaints are valid.
The game has been poorly optimised for a base ps4 and that optimisation effects gameplay.

It's still a bit janky on PC but it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay so much.
what are you talking about?

performance on PC is great. one area had a bit of issue with framerate (the hirata estate before Juzou because of all the fire). 99% of the time it's rock solid 60fps with even pacing.

from software games struggle on base PS4 hardware. look at SOTFS = can't maintain solid 60fps, dark souls 3 = janky ass framerate/timing, bloodborne = a few drops but let down by poor timing. it's not so much they are poorly optimised...the PS4 cpu just isn't powerful enough.

Yeah, to me this most polished game FromSoftware ever made and I especially like the animation both for MC and enemies/bosses.
going back to bloodborne/dark souls the animation of the character looks awful. Sekiro moves and controls much smoother and realistic.

Last edited:

tassletine

Fair enough. But a person does not need 60FPS to see that you're either a troll or a retard. Or perhaps both. Because you sure seem salty that you suck at Sekiro. I also read somewhere in Revelations in the Bible...I just can't remember the which verse but it goes something like : "GIT GUD"

I came here for some discussion as I wanted to find out if there was a problem with me or the base ps4 game -- but mostly what I've got are people shouting GIT GOOD at me.
I admit that the game does make me angry (doesn't it everyone) but I needed to find out what was wrong as I wanted to continue playing.

If that came across as salty it's because I most definitely WAS.
That doesn't mean that the game doesn't have techincal problems that make the game harder than intended.

So, I was reading other message boards, and there are lots of people complaining about the base ps4 version, amongst other things like hitboxes, unresponsive controls etc.
So I came to the conclusion from reading the DF report, and comparing the achivement lists on both platforms at the game had been optimised for PC.

That made it fairly clear there was a problem, so I took the plunge, and the issues cleared up. If you've played the two it's clear the base PS4 version is a harder.
And since I have limited time to play the game I opted for PC.

tassletine

what are you talking about?

performance on PC is great. one area had a bit of issue with framerate (the hirata estate before Juzou because of all the fire). 99% of the time it's rock solid 60fps with even pacing.

from software games struggle on base PS4 hardware. look at SOTFS = can't maintain solid 60fps, dark souls 3 = janky ass framerate/timing, bloodborne = a few drops but let down by poor timing. it's not so much they are poorly optimised...the PS4 cpu just isn't powerful enough.

going back to bloodborne/dark souls the animation of the character looks awful. Sekiro moves and controls much smoother and realistic.

Hitboxes. AI etc. various techincal issues. Frame rate is solid.

mcjmetroid

I came here for some discussion as I wanted to find out if there was a problem with me or the base ps4 game -- but mostly what I've got are people shouting GIT GOOD at me.
I admit that the game does make me angry (doesn't it everyone) but I needed to find out what was wrong as I wanted to continue playing.

If that came across as salty it's because I most definitely WAS.
That doesn't mean that the game doesn't have techincal problems that make the game harder than intended.

So, I was reading other message boards, and there are lots of people complaining about the base ps4 version, amongst other things like hitboxes, unresponsive controls etc.
So I came to the conclusion from reading the DF report, and comparing the achivement lists on both platforms at the game had been optimised for PC.

That made it fairly clear there was a problem, so I took the plunge, and the issues cleared up. If you've played the two it's clear the base PS4 version is a harder.
And since I have limited time to play the game I opted for PC.
I'm using the base PS4 version and there are some frame drops here and there alright but generally the controls are responsive I find.

tassletine

Im playing on base PS4 and i dont have any issues with the FPS or timing.r

I did not know Genichiro could be cheesed, i think the only bosses i really cheesed hard was the Seven Spears and snake eyes on the Poison pool.

I couldn't get the timing down. Moved to PC. I didn't have time for it.

Lots of the bosses I've encountered so far can be cheesed somehow or have a precise method / weapon that makes dealing with them a lot easier.

Centipede - just block.
Chained Ogre - Spam with fireworks.
Bull -- Spam with firworks.
Horse guy -- trick him into jumping off cliff. Or run him into a corner and spam with fireworks.
Genichiro -- Whatever that spam attack is called (haven't used it) and the lightning buff.

tassletine

So on #5 there... how exactly do you backstab him properly? I have snuck up behind him multiple times, but never get the red "kill blow" marker. Do I need to jump up or something to get it?

On second thought, I don't want an answer. I want help. Like a support group, some kind of Celebrity Rehab intervention or something. I have never hated a game so much, but every once in a while, my willpower breaks, and I find myself back in the crack house, hating myself, knowing I'm ruining my life chasing a high I'll never feel again... somebody help me!

He's pretty easy.

Clear out everyone. Go through the enclosed tunnel first (that's your escape route) backstab the shield guy by fatty and immediately leap back. He'll chased you.

He should now be separated from the others. Kill them. If they get too much retreat until they are dead.

Wait for fatty to reset. Backstab him. Don't worry, just sneak up slowly and do it -- It can be done, you're probably just nervous.

Hold down run.

Kite around fatty, getting him to follow you. Literally run around him in circles at a distance. Get used to this, and him not being able to hit you.

Run forward a little bit and retreat.

He'll do an attack (which will miss) and then almost always then take a swig of booze.

Now's your chance, run in and get 2-3 hits. (2 if you're scared)

Jump away and repeat.

You should be able to kill him easily without getting hit once. If you need futher help talk to your friend.

Graciaus

Raged uninstalled the game earlier.
kept trying on the hidden owl fight and just could not do it consistently. Gave up and just was going to beat the game instead. Took 1 step into the final area and run into a 3 stage boss. I'm not good enough or have the patience for this.

Looked on YouTube and saw someone no hit both bosses and also a way to stealth kill the 2nd one which set me off even more.
[\SPOILER]

Took me 3 hours to beat the Great Ape and I beat it with like 1HP left. This game is brutal and it was worth the experience, by far the most difficult thing in this game so far.

Interesting comment! For me, the Ape was one of the easiest bosses. Its attacks weren’t that hard to block or deflect imo.

On the other hand, I had and am having more trouble with many minibosses, such as the snake eyes ladies, the various Ninjas, or even the big seven spear samurai dude.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I woke up for work today, looked over at the clock and said, "it's 7 o'clock. I can take down down a boss before I leave". I load up the game, played for a while, and then looked over at the clock "it's 7:20". "Sh!t I'm going to be late". lol I wasn't late, but I am really enjoying this game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I didn’t realize how much the world opened up after the bull. Went crazy exploring last night and found a bunch of spooky stuff! Also had a crazy battle w a Snake Eyes mini boss. Mikiri counter is life

Hey is there an easy way to take out the gunmen in the Depths? One on one battles against them are super tough for me

You can kite the snake eyes one into the poison pool, go to the left of the cave and there are some rocks you can stand on where one of the easier gunners is located. Kill him then you can have the snake eyes one shoot up at you from the poison pool. The poison effect takes a little while to kick in on him but it will. Then just make him miss his shots at you and wait for his health to chip away. Jump down for a deathblow then back up and repeat. Once he's dead the rest of the room is simple enough to manage.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
You can kite the snake eyes one into the poison pool, go to the left of the cave and there are some rocks you can stand on where one of the easier gunners is located. Kill him then you can have the snake eyes one shoot up at you from the poison pool. The poison effect takes a little while to kick in on him but it will. Then just make him miss his shots at you and wait for his health to chip away. Jump down for a deathblow then back up and repeat. Once he's dead the rest of the room is simple enough to manage.

Thanks! I’ve taken him out, it actually is the rest of he room I’m having trouble with lol. Those buckshots are hard to dodge and block and they don’t go down easy

Vawn

Banned
Thanks! I’ve taken him out, it actually is the rest of he room I’m having trouble with lol. Those buckshots are hard to dodge and block and they don’t go down easy

I swung to the left and there is an idol over there. From there you can take out the sniper above the idol, another part the big statue, close to the boss. Then you can get a free death blow on the boss and take out his second half by the statue without agroing the other shooters.

Top Bottom