• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Selling MMORPG accounts

FFChris

Has anyone had any experience selling high level MMORPG accounts? A friend of mine wants to sell his level 70 Warcraft account.

Where is the best place for it to be sold? How much should he expect to be selling it for? What precautions should he take when selling it?

bill0527

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ACCEPT PAYPAL.

I know 3 people who have tried to sell their accounts the last couple of months. They go to some of those MMORPG gold selling/buy/trade/account sites and post their info on the boards. Typically what happens is that someone responds with an AIM or MSN name and then you have a conversation with them about your account. They offer to buy it at whatever price you are asking, they send you a paypal payment, you give them all of your account info, which they immediately change when you hand it over, then the very next day they file an unauthorized transaction claim with paypal and automatically get their money back. Paypal does not give seller protection on virtual items such as WoW accounts, gold, or in-game items. So the person that "bought" your account gets his money back and he's just made off with your account and you have no recourse.

The best thing to do is to sell it for a Money Order or Western Union only and you also ship the original game CD's with delivery confirmation. This is the only way you will be 100% covered, but the downside is, you won't get very many, if any, offers trying to sell it this way because most people out there interested in buying accounts are scammers these days.

bill0527

StUnNeR H2K said:
Didn't know it was legal to sale your account... maybe thats why paypal doesn't cover the seller.

Its not legal according the game's TOS, but paypal doesn't cover the seller for anything that is not physical, not just MMORPG accounts or items. Lets say I wanted to sell you an idea for $100 and you send me the payment. The next day you realize that my idea sucks and you can then file with paypal to get your $100 back. Paypal only protects sellers who sell physical goods that can be tracked with a shipping service to show that they've been delivered.

FFChris said:
Has anyone had any experience selling high level MMORPG accounts? A friend of mine wants to sell his level 70 Warcraft account.

Where is the best place for it to be sold? How much should he expect to be selling it for? What precautions should he take when selling it?
Craigslist. At least there you have some control over the situation

Economan

I've sold two accounts on ebay. One a 70 paladin and the other a 62 priest, which sold for 350 and 150 USD respectively. The trick is to have instant buyout with best offer. Although, both times the buyout won. Make sure you that have the time of the auction set to 1 day (you can do longer, but the longer it's up, the more likely it may get taken down).

Some other tips are to keep your cdkeys for 45days after the trade off (in case he/she tries to screw you).

Also, for more information, check this old thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171402

I have a 70 druid and 70 rogue hanging around that I'll never use again. Both with netherdrake mounts too... god I regret playing WoW. :lol

I sold my account about 8 months after WoW was released on Playerauctions.com. I had a 60 Rogue, 45 Priest, and got about $250. Everything went really smoothly. That was a long time ago though so I don't know the best way to go about it now.

Dunlop

bill0527 said:

Maybe keep the secret question answer for a certain amount of time so they can't modify the account info? (How long will Paypal refund the amount for).

I was lucky, I ebayed my original lvl 60 Priest (before BC) and got about $250. To make it better, I was bitten by the WOW bug when BC came out and when I aksed the guy to buy back the lvl 45 mage on the account to give me a head start, he gave me a lvl 60 warlock (complete with some good epics) for free :lol

TomServo

Sold my WoW 60 Shaman for around $75 via eBay / Paypal.

Sold my SWG account for around $2000 total, but that was broken down into multiple sales of credits and then finally the DJK account itself for $650. All through eBay / Paypal.

Sounds like I got lucky - never had a scamming buyer.

Dunlop said:
Maybe keep the secret question answer for a certain amount of time so they can't modify the account info? (How long will Paypal refund the amount for).

I was lucky, I ebayed my original lvl 60 Priest (before BC) and got about $250. To make it better, I was bitten by the WOW bug when BC came out and when I aksed the guy to buy back the lvl 45 mage on the account to give me a head start, he gave me a lvl 60 warlock (complete with some good epics) for free :lol

My friend had a similar story. He sold his lvl 70 Shaman for about $450. A few months later, he went to go check on the account and noticed that the guy wasn't using the account. He asked the guy if he could have it back and the guy agreed. So basically he got $450 for free. lol

Im pretty happy about it too, since I get to play on the new account he made after selling his old one for free. Everyone wins, 'cept the dumbass who paid for it. lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
bill0527 said:

I know 3 people who have tried to sell their accounts the last couple of months. They go to some of those MMORPG gold selling/buy/trade/account sites and post their info on the boards. Typically what happens is that someone responds with an AIM or MSN name and then you have a conversation with them about your account. They offer to buy it at whatever price you are asking, they send you a paypal payment, you give them all of your account info, which they immediately change when you hand it over, then the very next day they file an unauthorized transaction claim with paypal and automatically get their money back. Paypal does not give seller protection on virtual items such as WoW accounts, gold, or in-game items. So the person that "bought" your account gets his money back and he's just made off with your account and you have no recourse.

The best thing to do is to sell it for a Money Order or Western Union only and you also ship the original game CD's with delivery confirmation. This is the only way you will be 100% covered, but the downside is, you won't get very many, if any, offers trying to sell it this way because most people out there interested in buying accounts are scammers these days.

Transfer paypal funds to bank account asap after getting paid... I've sold 2 of my wow accounts since the game has been out no problem thru ebay and paypal. Be careful who you sell to.

If anything I wouldn't buy a WoW account from someone if it was with a money order or western union MO. If you do it right you wont get burned.

Get contact info and make sure that they are paypal verified, if they try to withhold any personal information while you are dealing with them refuse the sale and move on. It's also good to have been a member for a long time and have positive e-feedback, there's alot of people out there that love the game have the money but don't have the time to grind out characters in wow that are serious about buying your decked out accounts.

ManaByte

Gold Member
TomServo said:
Sold my WoW 60 Shaman for around $75 via eBay / Paypal.

Sold my SWG account for around $2000 total, but that was broken down into multiple sales of credits and then finally the DJK account itself for $650. All through eBay / Paypal.

Sounds like I got lucky - never had a scamming buyer.

Lucky you didn't get caught on that one, or the account would've been banned.

Some people try to be smart with their eBay listings. One time this guy took screen shots of his SWG account and thought he was smart by cropping out his name. But he forgot that his name showed up in the chat window, which made it easy to track down the account and ban it before the sale could go through.

Macattk15

I sold my 70 Warrior WoW account back in August. Got $1500 US for it.

Initially posted it for auction on Ebay, kept getting taken down, I kept putting it back up. Eventually someone saw it and they contacted me via e-mail and we worked out the sale that way.

He sent the money Western Union and I gave him the account. My warrior was quite geared however ... both PvE (DPS) and PvP .... which is why it sold so well and was in such high demand.

FFChris

Sorry to bump this, but thanks for the information guys.

I don't think I'd have a problem selling this personally, but with my little brother, who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, it's a different matter.

He has a 70 dwalf hunter, tier 4/5 vengeful, PvP season 3 gear, and tier 3 and 4 PvE gear (not that that means much to me) how much do you think he's looking to getting?

keanerie

I sold my Paladin last summer for about 200. It was through Accounts.net, and it was a pretty smooth ordeal. They sent me the money, I gave them the account, not much effort on my end aside from changing the email the account was registered to. It was through PayPal, but it was fine. About the time of the transaction I got an email from Blizz basically saying that I was violating ToS and that I should give them some info. It felt fishy so I contacted Accounts.net about it, and they were helpful enough to do some research and let me know it was a scam, so I felt they were trustworthy - this was after I'd sold them my account. I'm not sure, maybe I was lucky and they usually scam people - but it worked out fine. Another friend of mine used the same service and it worked out for him too.

By the way, my pally was in Kara level healing gear, but he also had the Spectral Tiger mount. Your brother's hunter might fetch a bit more.

Doytch

I sold my 60 Rogue with full MC gear around Sep 06 for ~$450 I think. I put it up on eBay, but it got taken down in a few days. Still, a bunch of people pm'ed me about it and I made a deal with one dude through Paypal. Looking back, I guess it was pretty risky, but I felt out the buyers quite a bit before settling. If you're gonna do that, make sure you talk to them on the phone.

Top Bottom