• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

semaphore "Unearthed" announced the 2nd episode of Unearthed + 2 new games

Also can we stop the Uncharted jokes. These guys have shown that they're looking to move past that and this is great news for the Middle East games industry in general that we are seeing more and more titles come out of that region.

It's possible to be both pleased that more games are coming out of the Middle East and poke fun at the fact, even if you ignore the title, Unearthed is - let's be honest here - a clear Uncharted rip-off.

Country of origin doesn't give developers a pass in that regard.

I know a lot of people slated the first Unearthed game, but I kind of like these guys' pluckiness and drive to improve. I wish them luck with all their projects and hope this is the beginning of a growing presence of Middle Eastern developers.

Chao

Tt9DLon.jpg

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
As an Arab gamer, Unearthed should be erased from existence.

Unearthed should be... uh... Re-earthed!

But seriously, best of luck to the studio moving forward. Hopefully they can clear up their reputation with time. Lets not forget that Naughty Dog made a terrible Mortal Kombat rip off before they did Crash Bandicoot.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest in our upcoming games.

We only knew about our participation in Sony's Gamers Day a few days before the event so we had to do our best to get our games in showable state for the event but we aren't currently ready for proper world wide unveiling just yet.

We will however work toward polishing our materials and aim to do a focused press event in October and of course upload everything in Arabic and English.

Since releasing Episode 1 of Unearthed back in May 2013 we have been listening to the feedback from users as well as reviews worldwide and we took it all to heart and we promise it will clearly show when we announce our new projects soon.

We did change the name of of "Unearthed" to be the Arabic name it was always known as which is "Al Rekaz". Also, the engine is of course UE4 and not UE3 as mentioned in the original post. Finally, we are dropping the episodic model in favor of a full length game this time.

I would actually ask everyone to please avoid off-screen recordings simply because they don't show the games properly (and they are very short anway).

We will be making a proper post on NeoGaf as soon as we can.

Best Regards,
Ahmad Jadallah
Director of Development
Semaphore
@SemaphoreLab

I never played the first game, but I am encouraged by devs emerging in many parts of the world, including the Middle East. Definitely interested to see what you come up with next and best of luck.

I'm confident they'll improve as developers. You gotta start somewhere. Remember that Naughty Dog's first games were mostly terrible! If they keep working at it they'll become great developers in their own right and start a trend of games from a new region of the world. Once they achieve some success, others will follow and we'll have ask kinds of cool new experiences because new cultures will bring all sorts of new ideas. We need development in the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, and India to really kick off because they'll fuel the growth of the industry in those areas and bring us much more varied and diverse games.

So good luck, semaphore! Hopefully one of these days people will look back and joke about the first Unearthed as a shaky, funny first step towards the development wave you started in your region of the world.

I find it pretty exciting what's going on over there personally. Even if the last game wasn't so hot, i'm very excited to see what they produce going forward.

semaphore

Neo Member
Hello everyone,

Yesterday at the PC Gaming Show we revealed our new game that's mentioned in original post "Badiya" a survival RPG set in an infinite procedural open world in the Arabian desert post WW1 (Think Lawrence of Arabia).

Here is the on-stage interview:
https://youtu.be/jlS1GsEeqVg?t=10983

And here is the gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GwsBb-i-Tc

Finally, here is the Reveal Trailer we released a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_v0QWX2fEA

* Note: I tried to create a new thread for this, but my account privileges are not sufficient. I kindly ask any of the admins to help me with that.

Top Bottom