• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Semi LTTP : Company of Heroes

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Ok this was one my favourite RTS's of last year, just the sheer spectacle and awesomeness of the single player game made sure of that. I occasionally played multiplayer, but it was always a massacre, an enjoyable massacre, but not enough to keep me coming back.

I played through the single player game in a fairly standard build them up and send them off RTS fashion, playing the game how Id played a hundred RTS's before.

Then sometime last week I tried the multiplayer again. I chose airborne doctrine for something new, and subsequently paid way more attention to the specific movement, positioning and weaponry of each infantry squad, and I was doing infinately better than I ever had done before.

Suddenly it clicked.

CoH is just as much a real time squad shooter as it is an RTS, sharing as much with Hidden and Dangerous and Commandos as it does C&C.

Playing the game online with this mentality, using vehicles to compliment the infantry movements, turns this into one of the most intricate,rewarding and compelling gameplay experiences I've ever had. My fingers have been in pain every morning after discovering how much nail i bit off the night before.

It's sad that so many people will never play this game, through situation or preconception, because regardless of your tastes remains is one of the most simultaneously intricate and enoyable games ever made.

xhadoukenx said:
Ok this was one my favourite RTS's of last year, just the sheer spectacle and awesomeness of the single player game made sure of that. I occasionally played multiplayer, but it was always a massacre, an enjoyable massacre, but not enough to keep me coming back.

I played through the single player game in a fairly standard build them up and send them off RTS fashion, playing the game how Id played a hundred RTS's before.

Then sometime last week I tried the multiplayer again. I chose airborne doctrine for something new, and subsequently paid way more attention to the specific movement, positioning and weaponry of each infantry squad, and I was doing infinately better than I ever had done before.

Suddenly it clicked.

CoH is just as much a real time squad shooter as it is an RTS, sharing as much with Hidden and Dangerous and Commandos as it does C&C.

Playing the game online with this mentality, using vehicles to compliment the infantry movements, turns this into one of the most intricate,rewarding and compelling gameplay experiences I've ever had. My fingers have been in pain every morning after discovering how much nail i bit off the night before.

It's sad that so many people will never play this game, through situation or preconception, because regardless of your tastes remains is one of the most simultaneously intricate and enoyable games ever made.
:lol :lol :lol

VALIS

xhadoukenx said:

A lot of people might pass it by because it's YET ANOTHER WWII game, but it doesn't really "feel" like a same 'ol WII game ala Call of Duty or Medal of Honor or Brothers in Arms. It's more just a kickass RTS with WWII era weaponry.

I find the single player campaign very, very difficult. Even on normal. I keep using the pause button which makes me feel like I'm cheating. :lol

Still a great game though, even if it brings my PC to it's knees.

jwj442

I'm as tired of WWII games as anyone, but I loved this game. Everyone should play it, even if they generally don't like RTSes.

There has really been a lot of innovation in the RTS genre in the past few years. No longer are most RTSes basically clones of AoE2 or Starcraft.

Ahriman

I'd probably prefer relic make another Warhammer with that engine, as opposed to "yet another ww2 game", but I still enjoyed CoH a lot. Can't say that about too many games in the last year.

Top Bottom