• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura series tops one million worldwide

mankoto

The Senran Kagura series has sold more than one million copies worldwide, series producer Kenichiro Takaki announced on Twitter.

The franchise first launched via a manga called Senran Kagura Spark! on August 19, 2011. Since then, the franchise has seen four additional manga, an anime series, and the following game releases:

• 2011 – Senran Kagura: Skirting Shadows (3DS)
  • 2012 – Senran Kaguara Burst (3DS)
  • 2013 – Senran Kagura: New Wave (iOS, Android), Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (PSV)
  • 2014 – Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (3DS), Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit! (PSV)
  • 2015 – Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (PS4, PSV)

Senran Kagura 2 is due out in North America on September 15 and in Europe today, and Senran Kagura: Estival Versus is due out in North America this winter and in Europe in early 2016.

Thanks, Gematsu

Doesn't seem like much of an achievement for a franchise with that many games on that many platforms with an anime to promote it.
But good on the developer.

Awesome. For a niche title that is pretty great. Can't wait for SK2 to release state side and for Estival Vs to release to bolster those numbers more.

Good for the series. I found Shinovi Versus surprisingly fun to the point that I'm actually looking forward to Estival Versus. Here's what Media Create shows for each game btw (Japan only obviously):

[3DS] Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei <ACT> (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.09.22} (¥5.980) - 100.333

[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2012.08.30} (¥5.980) - 101.583
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst [1/1][Best Collection] <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.03.06} (¥2.979) - 6.658

[PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 155.300
[PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.03.06} (¥3.980) - 16.396

[3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2014.08.07} (¥6.998) - 71.038

[PSV] Dekamori Senran Kagura # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2014.11.27} (¥4.320) - 19.319

[PSV] Senran Kagura Estival Versus # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538) - 52.845 (Only 2 weeks)
[PS4] Senran Kagura Estival Versus # <ACT> (Marvelous) {2015.03.26} (¥8.618) - 30.247 (Only 1 week)

I wonder if we could use Media Create sales and guess how much of the sales were Global vs. Japan...

From what I listed above the series total is 553,719. Most are as of December 28, 2014 and it doesn't count digital sales or iOS/Android releases.

ohlawd

good news

gonna bow out after SK2. pretty obvious the series is gonna be like SV from here on out and I hated that trash

Nyoro SF

From what I listed above the series total is 553,719. Most are as of December 28, 2014 and it doesn't count digital sales or iOS/Android releases.

Thanks. Assuming a 5% digital sell through on these titles in Japan, we can roughly assume 580k for Japan, and 420k for global. Not bad.

In the USA we have:
SK1
SK SV
SK BA

420k off three games, that's seriously a high sell through on global basis across fewer games. The world is keeping this series alive.

(Now if only Marvelous would produce Estival Versus for PC.... orz)

Eolz

That's awesome for a series as niche!
And the two last games (2 and EV) are actually really good in terms of gameplay too.
Underrated soundtack, better writing than most would think, a character for everyone... Really, hope this will make some people reconsider their stance on the franchise.

On the other hand, will be fun to see those articles not being happy about this too :p

mankoto

As someone who bought the first game:

who is buying these

Me. I actually imported Shinovi Versus from Japan day 1 to support the series. Then bought Burst and SV again (so I know what's going on this time) to support it's localization. Believe me when I say if I had the money, I would've bought Estival Versus as well.

It's a fun franchise and I really enjoy it. Not to mention that Takaki is... quite the guy

Thoraxes

Awesome news and I hope for even more gravity-defying titles in the future. I really love the different styles between the PS and Nintendo game versions, so it helps keep each entry fun and different for me.

Alfebit

Banned
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing more from this series in the future.

Gimme dat third person water gun shooter already Takaki!

Top Bottom