• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II |OT| I Can Fix Her

Luipadre

Gold Member
Played around 6 hours. I think i only have like an hour left. Definitely the best looking game i've ever seen and its a real HDR showcase. Like you need to play this on OLED. Shame about the "gameplay" tho. I expected similar to the first but goddamn they improved nothing in 7 years. I only recommend this to those who liked the first.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I absolutely love it when developers add options to customize motion blur rather than just an on/off toggle. FF16 gained incredibly, for me, when they patched it in and it's in this game too.

Max motion blur can be a bit disorienting at times, I'm playing this with MB set to 3 and it seems to be perfect for me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Resubbed to GP to give this a go as I am heading to Iceland for a week on Thursday.

Played some 45min, to the first 100XP achievement. Tank controls, invisible walls, no idea how fighting works. Feels more like pretending to play than playing the game.

Visuals are beautiful and the lead actress is hot but damn if this beginning is a drag.

Last edited:

adamsapple

From the first 10~ minutes. Looks incredible. Probably the only game released so far that holds true to the UE5 potential from the tech demos.

OKpb0EK.jpeg

SqGNAev.png

Captn

There is a version of flawless widescreen plug-in also available that fixes the aspect ratios and FOV option thus removing the letterbox black bars on 16:9 panels.

Steam version only it seems for now.

Install instructions are easy.

Just extract the content and overwrite in flawless wide-screen install folder in program files 86

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This seems to work for me, not 100% gone but it looks better for sure.
I've tried those and haven't notice any difference, but I'll check again.
This seems like the first UE5 game to make good on (or even surpass) the engine reveal trailers.
Can you imagine what The Coalition will do with this engine in Gears 6? Fuck's sake, I can hardly wait and Gears 6 should be announced very soon according to rumors. Gears 5 looks mind-blowing on PC all maxed out at 4K.
Even on my 3060 12GB I'm impressed! DLSS Quality looks great with 3.7 Preset E. SO much detail in the environments, models and animation.
Have you forced Ultra Quality over Quality? It looks much better.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Wow. Hit a small part that was genuinely shocking and cool. Basically just a tech demo visual effect section but my eyes got huge when it happened.

the water draining from the lake

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Man this game is fucking brutal.

in the first hour or so you will hear flesh burning, bones snapping, watch innocent people be chased down and butchered/decapitated/dismembered while they beg. Even watch and hear them be cannibalized

I also love how during the combat you actually make wounds on the enemies in real time with your blade. All in all the combat and animations are extremely visceral.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
There is a version of flawless widescreen plug-in also available that fixes the aspect ratios and FOV option thus removing the letterbox black bars on 16:9 panels.

Install instructions are easy.

Just extract the content and overwrite in flawless wide-screen install folder in program files 86
Thanks for the link, I know flawless widescreen but I don't like to install unneeded stuff. I might give it a try tho if the mod takes time to be released. Also soon I'm gonna go 3440x1440 so this software will probably be a must have ^^

Darsxx82

From the first 10~ minutes. Looks incredible. Probably the only game released so far that holds true to the UE5 potential from the tech demos.

OKpb0EK.jpeg

SqGNAev.png
At times it is like a real movie in motion. Nothing clashes visually.

The lighting and atmospheric effects are the best I have seen. The geometry of the rocks is insane. The recreation of the Icelandic environment is photorealistic. The top modeling, facial and body animations. The effects of water and sea waves exceptionally recreated and the sound is 10/10. I have like 30 captures of rocks🤣🤣

PS. In photo mode you can activate full screen format while the environment and atmospheric effects are still active... That is, they could have left an option without black bars.

Luipadre

Gold Member
At times it is like a real movie in motion. Nothing clashes visually.

The lighting and atmospheric effects are the best I have seen. The geometry of the rocks is insane. The recreation of the Icelandic environment is photorealistic. The top modeling, facial and body animations. The effects of water and sea waves exceptionally recreated and the sound is 10/10. I have like 30 captures of rocks🤣🤣

PS. In photo mode you can activate full screen format while the environment and atmospheric effects are still active... That is, they could have left an option without black bars.

the FOV in 16:9 mode is awful tho. Id rather take the black bars which doesnt bother me at all on OLED than that narrow fov.

adamsapple

RE: Audio for the game. Chapter 1.

Ok this might be the most effective use of audio design in a game, in the boat scene when you're crawling under the boat. I had to quickly yank my headphones off cause I thought the screams were coming IRL lol.

I feel like the people who like the game, will really like it. Those that hate the game will really hate it.

It’s beautiful but It’s slow, monotonous, repetitive jibberish, walking simulator that I don’t want to play anymore than the hour I gave it.

Not going to shit on the game because it’s obviously well crafted and polished.

If you love it, enjoy it

Punished Miku

I dont have an OLED but you can really, reallyyyyy tell this game would look insane on one. So many areas with deep black next to extremely bright color.

Last edited:

Connxtion

The game is eye candy. Was sitting waiting for her to move when i realised I was meant to press up 😂🙈

It’s also got one of the best 30FPS feels I have played outside of Forza horizon games. I don’t get the jarring judder effect when panning the camera on my CX.

I feel like the people who like the game, will really like it. Those that hate the game will really hate it.
Bang on, like the first games if you go in with the mindset of GOW or another hack and slash you will be severely disappointed 😂

It’s basically a walking simulator with a bit of hack and slash thrown in.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Hit my 2nd visual effect that made my eyes big. A few graphical bells and whistles I've never seen. Really cool.

fatmarco

It's cool how you can do Photomode during cutscenes too:

HlBnGYz.png

Not sure why the screenshots come out so washed out for me though, I assume due to HDR conversion?

Last edited:
It’s a swimming in 7s title. It’s a okay to good game at best.

I really don’t understand Microsoft’s decisions anymore if the rumors are true that they greenlit team ninjas next game. They have spend over 5 years making an okay game, but Tango who made HiFi Rush on a much smaller budget have to close…

What did Microsoft say to Tango: Sorry guys but the quality of your games is just unacceptable for Microsoft, we have lower expectations than that…

Last edited:

skyfinch

Pre downloaded it weeks ago on gamepass, went to play it and says 40 gig update. Fuck I hate this generation of gaming.

adamsapple

Is it worth playing just for graphics?

It's worth playing if you found enjoyment in the first game.

Pre downloaded it weeks ago on gamepass, went to play it and says 40 gig update. Fuck I hate this generation of gaming.

The proper pre-load only went live a few days ago, you must have only downloaded that 300MB placeholder.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Animations are top notch in this game. Rest of the visuals are really drab early on. Default setting is DRS targeting 30fps. lol....console preset I guess. Turned off DRS, using DLSS I'm getting well over 100frame per second. Do not like the black bars, but I'm starting to get used to them.

Punished Miku

This may sound pretentious but I honestly think this is almost a new genre at this point. Its not a "movie game," as in a 20-30 hour wide linear action / story game. This is trying to literally be a movie you watch in one sitting with very limited gameplay spliced in, like a mix of Naughty Dog and Dragon's Lair or something.

One more thing I'll add is that this is the first game I've played that is almost hitting complete realism on some of the faces. The eyes dont look dead.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
How long is the first game? I’m debating on either starting with the first game, or just watching a story summary and jumping into the second game.

Punished Miku

How long is the first game? I’m debating on either starting with the first game, or just watching a story summary and jumping into the second game.
7-9 hours. I really enjoyed it. The 2 games are more different than I expected. I'd play both. They have strengths in different areas.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Just saw a scene that literally could be live action footage mixed in and I wouldnt be surprised. Just looked like a real person.

Stuart360

Am i the only one who had trouble beating the boss guy on the beach?, you know the one you capture. It doesnt help that the game doesnt explain copntrols or anyhting annoyingly lol.

Punished Miku

Am i the only one who had trouble beating the boss guy on the beach?, you know the one you capture. It doesnt help that the game doesnt explain copntrols or anyhting annoyingly lol.
I think elements of it are really different from the 1st game. Enemy hits track a ton even when rolling when they didnt last time. And all your actions have more lag. I think you can really only do last minute evades. Still figuring out how this combat system works honestly.

I said that I'll save it for the weekend, but I couldn't help myself and played it for around 40 minutes on my Series X. A few things I've noticed:
  • I think it's the most geometric dense game I've seen so far
  • the lighting is superb
  • the 30 fps feels very good imo, and the motion blur implementation is great as well which makes the overall experience feels smooth even on a OLED TV
  • very comprehensive photo mode (I laughed a bit when I got an achievement for opening it for the first time)
  • the 3D audio is top tier
That is all. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kurotri

Yeah...I just finished it and have some thoughts.
The game is a worse, lesser version of the original.
You see, when I first played the original years ago, I thought the story, which is obviously the main strength of these games, to be pretty conclusive. When they announced the sequel all those years ago I was scratching my head as to what the story would be about. It starts off as a revenge story which immediately striked me as a lazy choice. There was really no need. The entire selling point of the original was how Senua battled with her psychosis, and the original wraps it up well. Since that part is essentially "finished", you do not have that hook anymore in this game. So already the psychosis part of this sequel is lacking compared to the previous entry. You see that reflected in the entire game. That's a big minus.

Senua lets herself be delibately captured in order to infiltrate the home of the invaders that burned down her home. Along the way she meets multiple characters that start accompanying her on her journey. On said journey she encounters something unexpected, Giants. Now please correct me if I'm wrong as it's been a loooong time since I played the original, but wasn't the world we see as a player the world that *only* Senua can see? Meaning everything we see is not what normal, average people see. I ask this because when we eventually face off with those Giants, the aforementioned characters (and other npcs) who do *not* have psychosis start reacting as if these Giants were real. What the fuck? Was the series always set in fantasy land for everybody? That really rubbed me the wrong way. Eventually you even get this whole rundown about how the last boss who's the dad of one of your companions and the main goal of Senua's initial revenge used those same Giants to strike fear into his people, to control them. At that point I was just confused as to what I was playing. If all of this is still supposed to be how Senua sees things through psychosis then what in god's name are real people seeing, and why are they, too, calling those people Giants? Maybe there's some 2deep4u storytelling at play here but I don't see it. The story in general doesn't make use of its themes well enough and goes for a generic ending while not developing the side characters all too much except for the Slave trader guy at the beginning.

Gameplay-wise they learned NOTHING from the first game. You *do* press the thumbstick forward for 95% of your playthrough. The level design seems way more restrictive and linear than before, the puzzles are so terrible that they feel like they insult your intelligence. I say this because I solved them by just walking around and following the paths, never needing to stop and look around to think. I hate puzzles in games but even I felt they should've done more here.

And the combat, goddamn. I wouldn't say it sucks but it's very barebones. I do not expect some God of War level combat here but parrying and dodging don't work too well most of the time and after a few button smashes the enemies are done.

And that's basically the whole game. The invididual sections where you battle the Giants are well made, but I don't see how they make sense in the world. Their stories work good in a vacuum, but I still feel the overall package isn't as good as the original. At the end Senua has a conflict between her dark and light side, understanding that she has a choice before it abruptly ends. Those rumors of a third entry make sense. However, after all this, I still don't understand: Why, exactly did we need this game again? I recommend this to *only* the people who really liked the original but would also advice caution because it's just not as well thought out. If the original is a 7, this is a 6.

Oh and yeah, of course, graphics. This is a looker. I played on a mid range rig consisting of a 6700 XT, i5 12400F and 32GB of RAM on a C2 OLED. Turn off motion blur in the game and tweak some .ini settings to turn off film grain and chrometic aberration and it looked stunning. I played at 1440p and used TSR as the upscaling tech and it looked absolutely stunning and ran buttery smooth at 60 fps. If nothing else, they nailed visuals, presentation and atmosphere. Senua's acress, Melina Jürgens, also did well here and improved her performance I thought. This post turned out to be pretty lengthy but in conclusion: I liked it well enough, not as good as the first game.

Punished Miku

The subtle colors are just nuts. Makes me want to buy a new TV. Just this one hallway is deep black, green, red and blue.

JCreasy

It's cool how you can do Photomode during cutscenes too:

HlBnGYz.png

Not sure why the screenshots come out so washed out for me though, I assume due to HDR conversion?

Ok this confirms that the LOD that impressed me so much lives in the cutscenes.

Hoping Nanite for skeletal meshes gets sorted out and game ready in a year or two.

Top Bottom