• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II |OT| I Can Fix Her

DarthPutin

What is there is nice to great, but there is not enough of it. With few more hours/big setpieces/better puzzles/new gameplay mechanic, could be close to masterpiece.

For an interactive experience that relies almost solely on immersing you into atmosphere, giving you feelz and telling a story, the story part seems surprisingly muddled?... First' story made sense, you have mentally ill girl in a world without understanding of mental health issues, so she processes what's happening to her in terms she can understand, and others can either reject her as "dark", possesed or whatever, or worship her as a seer/shaman/druid etc.

This time,
story makes much more sense if giants are real supernatural creatures. What was happening when she's not around otherwise? People had mass psychosis and she's kind of "immune" to it because of her personal psychosis?

Or is it real, some of the last game was real as well, and her very serious illness a superpower now?

Small things: - Now hiddenfolk are ALSO talking to us? Isn't it a bit much in terms of voices?

- Sooooo.... Everything with 2nd giant was waste of time? They should have beelined to main villain, as after his death giants will disappear altogether? (But they were also "never real"). 2nd giant would be gone then too, so all these people died (???) in vain.

You know, I tend to find it annoying when youtubers etc criticize "kickass female action heroines" as unrealistic, since -realistically - male action heroes would also succumb to wounds/break bones/suffer severe concussion from things they go through. There was "Honest Action" channel on YT analyzing it for fun. But a good movie will make you buy its action scenes, however unreal they are.

However, here with Senua the action is so realistic and down to earth, there is no android/enhanced DNA/superhero powers excuse, no great leveller like guns, no fancy-shmancy martial/swordfighting arts to pretend there is some "secret sauce" to it, this is brutal primitive combat where size and physical strength is at its most important, andI have actual trouble suspending my disbelief. That exhausted small woman can take out one big burly man with superior weapons and armor is miracle already, and then she just keep swinging her sword like she's made out of metal. Realistic rendering kind of tripped them up here :messenger_grinning_sweat: And I liked TLOU2.

Anyway, bits with giants were impressive and moving. More of this!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How long is chapter 6?

30~45 min-ish.

Speaking of.

There's surprisingly more incentive to do replays of the game than I thought, not one but two alternate narration tracks.

PLTLfDB.jpeg

Beechos

God damn guys, WHAT A GAME

I'm blown away. The atmosphere and dolby atmos sound submerge you into a truly nightmarish adventure. The last fight I was in almost made me emotional. The cinematography and choreography when fighting is so effective and Senua's scream visceral. The game is like a very good book where you just want to keep reading but never want it to end.
Yeah really enjoying the atmosphere so far. I just cleared that lvl myself last night. They were right about the combat so intimate and brutal although its so simplistic like part one the graphics and animation really add to it. Kinda reminds me of the brutality from last of us 2.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I'm glad to hear the game turned out reasonably well. I played the first, so I have a sense of what I'm getting into.

My main concern about this game is that they seem to have watered down that "interior battle" element. Now the battle seems to be external, not internal. In the first game, the "monsters" were projections of her inner torment (at least that's how I read it). In this game, it seems more like the "monsters" are real, external entities that she is battling. I don't know for sure, because I haven't played the game, but that's the impression I'm getting.

I don't have an Xbox, but I look forward to playing it eventually on the PS5.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Yeah really enjoying the atmosphere so far. I just cleared that lvl myself last night. They were right about the combat so intimate and brutal although its so simplistic like part one the graphics and animation really add to it. Kinda reminds me of the brutality from last of us 2.
Ah yes, fighting is definitely not difficult but I think it would break the immersion if combat were complicated. It would just hurt the experience, to die constantly or to be focused too much over combat systems.

My thoughts is that the devs nailed the flow and the immersion. And the Xbox really needed a quality cinematic game like this. Thumbs up to Ninja Theory to be honest. I really hope they continue working like that. I'll simply add that, to me, they raised the bar. I know it's a short game but it's flawless in every way. Other studios should feel inspired by this release when they play it.

Edit: Small things I really like to the sound design is Senua's facial animations that corresponds to her breathing. Also her expressions subtly change from an area to another.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
My main concern about this game is that they seem to have watered down that "interior battle" element. Now the battle seems to be external, not internal. In the first game, the "monsters" were projections of her inner torment (at least that's how I read it). In this game, it seems more like the "monsters" are real, external entities that she is battling. I don't know for sure, because I haven't played the game, but that's the impression I'm getting.

I don't have an Xbox, but I look forward to playing it eventually on the PS5.
I think it will likely be a trilogy and the whole theme is her coming to terms with "her darkness." I predict you'll see differences each game on that front.

Last edited:

Zheph

Man, all the hate for this game on this forum deflated my hype but I just played for a few hours and was captivated. OLED max settings at 4k with headphones. It's so good! Can't wait to play some more.
how come man? it's just internet board, fuck it. I started it on PC but I will wait to do it on my TV to enjoy it fully

DavidGzz

how come man? it's just internet board, fuck it. I started it on PC but I will wait to do it on my TV to enjoy it fully

I know but when it's page after page of the same hate it can get to you. It's kind of how a streamers chat can affect his attitude towards a game. Anyway, it's all good now that I played it! It's a great time!

Hoppa

Ive got a really short attention span so when the game opened to Senua slowly walking and then immediately clambering up the cliff I almost uninstalled but it’s opened a bit more now and I’m enjoying it (bar the perspective ‘puzzles’). It’s deliberately slow and the atmosphere is thick. I’d agree it’s a bit Edith Finch-y and very much like a satanic Plagues Tale

NikuNashi

Man, all the hate for this game on this forum deflated my hype but I just played for a few hours and was captivated. OLED max settings at 4k with headphones. It's so good! Can't wait to play some more.

You spelt watched wrong. Only joking, glad you are enjoying it.

DavidGzz

Ive got a really short attention span so when the game opened to Senua slowly walking and then immediately clambering up the cliff I almost uninstalled but it’s opened a bit more now and I’m enjoying it (bar the perspective ‘puzzles’). It’s deliberately slow and the atmosphere is thick. I’d agree it’s a bit Edith Finch-y and very much like a satanic Plagues Tale

Good point on the last bit about Plague's Tale. I forgot about that game. That's an example of a game that isn't exclusive that was well received and didn't getting slammed for not being the next Elden Ring.

You spelt watched wrong. Only joking, glad you are enjoying it.

You may be joking but I bet this wouldn't be said as much if the game had a HUD. Life bars, a Soulslike menu on the bottom left, damage numbers, 1/1 mirror uses, etc, all of a sudden the game where you can do a light attack, heavy attack, running attack, dodge, block, parry, with jankier animations would all of a sudden be a game ass game lol.

NikuNashi

Good point on the last bit about Plague's Tale. I forgot about that game. That's an example of a game that isn't exclusive that was well received and didn't getting slammed for not being the next Elden Ring.

You may be joking but I bet this wouldn't be said as much if the game had a HUD. Life bars, a Soulslike menu on the bottom left, damage numbers, 1/1 mirror uses, etc, all of a sudden the game where you can do a light attack, heavy attack, running attack, dodge, block, parry, with jankier animations would all of a sudden be a game ass game lol.

What you described sounds like a game, with gameplay, and not an interactive movie. So yeah it wouldnt be said. But its cool if you are into this, I was wowed by Dragons Lair in the arcade when I was a kid, it was visually as good as a cartoon.

DavidGzz

What an incredible atmosphere and presentation. The village sequence leading to draugers was nightmarish. Amazing work on the audio. Loving it so far.

Made me think of a 3rd person Diablo 1. The opening cut scene when Adrian comes to Tristram. A Diablo 1 remake in this style would be amazing.

DavidGzz

What you described sounds like a game, with gameplay, and not an interactive movie. So yeah it wouldnt be said. But its cool if you are into this, I was wowed by Dragons Lair in the arcade when I was a kid, it was visually as good as a cartoon.

What I'm saying is the HUD is the only thing separating this game from what you think is a game. That and no skill tree. Otherwise, HB2 is a game and feels like one. It's different when you have control vs. watching a stream.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I know but when it's page after page of the same hate it can get to you. It's kind of how a streamers chat can affect his attitude towards a game. Anyway, it's all good now that I played it! It's a great time!
Ignore that. We’re just seeing subjective opinions from people with different taste in gameplay and story telling. And this is a divisive game for sure.

For me, as a regular Game it’s maybe a 3. I enjoy the fighting but the puzzles are extremely boring.

But as an immersive interactive movie it’s a 8, 9 or even 10. I haven’t finished it yet so no decision yet.
I don’t usually like story driven games, but I love movies and here I feel like they’ve very successfully managed to merge the two mediums. Everything is just superbly cohesive and seemless and natural, it’s like following a movie or TV show and you have control of the action.

But I would’ve personally removed the puzzles if I was the director. There is nothing fun about them. And why let me crawl through a pitch black cave and have stressed out voices talk about how there is something hidden in the darkness and then not put in a cool brutal fight in there? Major disappointment there. Edit: 👌

For me it stumbles in some areas but where it’s good it’s usually extremely good. I already plan to replay it. It’s short enough that a replay is no issue at all. It’s just those boring puzzles… Maybe there is a mod to remove them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I missed something here.

Got to the part where you see the giant and now Senua wants to kill it, but I think I missed why Senua is here in the first place. Why was she on that ship?

Punished Miku

I missed something here.

Got to the part where you see the giant and now Senua wants to kill it, but I think I missed why Senua is here in the first place. Why was she on that ship?
The ship in the beginning?

In part 1 she left her village for a while on a personal journey. When she returned her whole village had been destroyed and her boyfriend slaughtered. She left to find the people that did it, the northern slavers.

Topher

Gold Member
The ship in the beginning?

In part 1 she left her village for a while on a personal journey. When she returned her whole village had been destroyed and her boyfriend slaughtered. She left to find the people that did it, the northern slavers.

She got captured on purpose so they'd take her to where they're enslaving her people.

Thanks. They probably mentioned that in the recap at the beginning, but I missed it.

evanft

Played the game a bit. Absolute trash.
  • It's one of the ugliest AAA games I've played recently. No artistry at all. Legitimately does less with Unreal Engine 5 than Ghost of Tsushima does with its engine that was designed to work on a fucking base PS4.
  • BROWN BROWN BROWN BROWN BROWN. Did you like the look of UE3 games on PS3/360? WELL HOPE YA DID CAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU GET, BUCKAROO
  • Combat is just horrific. It doesn't even feel good to play at all. Unresponsive and laggy.
  • How can you ship a game on PC in 2024 with black bars and a forced aspect ratio? MODDERS HAD TO FIX YOUR GAME.
  • All the post-processing hides any semblance of detail, so why the did they spend so much time on asset quality?
  • Who the hell designed these puzzles and went "Yeah, this is good"?
  • The voices in Senua's head were kinda neat in the original game, but now they're just annoying and make it difficult to actually experience the atmosphere/story. They also seem to basically exist to offer hints while you're playing, which is hilarious considering there's nothing to this game.
  • Basically no environmental interactivity. Everything is beautiful, but completely flat.
This game isn't worth the cost of one month of Game Pass. If they had made a Quantic Dream/Telltale style narrative experience, it would have been better, but instead we're left with a boring tech demo with almost no redeeming qualities.

Last edited:

ungalo

What is there is nice to great, but there is not enough of it. With few more hours/big setpieces/better puzzles/new gameplay mechanic, could be close to masterpiece.

For an interactive experience that relies almost solely on immersing you into atmosphere, giving you feelz and telling a story, the story part seems surprisingly muddled?... First' story made sense, you have mentally ill girl in a world without understanding of mental health issues, so she processes what's happening to her in terms she can understand, and others can either reject her as "dark", possesed or whatever, or worship her as a seer/shaman/druid etc.

This time,
story makes much more sense if giants are real supernatural creatures. What was happening when she's not around otherwise? People had mass psychosis and she's kind of "immune" to it because of her personal psychosis?

Or is it real, some of the last game was real as well, and her very serious illness a superpower now?

Small things: - Now hiddenfolk are ALSO talking to us? Isn't it a bit much in terms of voices?

- Sooooo.... Everything with 2nd giant was waste of time? They should have beelined to main villain, as after his death giants will disappear altogether? (But they were also "never real"). 2nd giant would be gone then too, so all these people died (???) in vain.

You know, I tend to find it annoying when youtubers etc criticize "kickass female action heroines" as unrealistic, since -realistically - male action heroes would also succumb to wounds/break bones/suffer severe concussion from things they go through. There was "Honest Action" channel on YT analyzing it for fun. But a good movie will make you buy its action scenes, however unreal they are.

However, here with Senua the action is so realistic and down to earth, there is no android/enhanced DNA/superhero powers excuse, no great leveller like guns, no fancy-shmancy martial/swordfighting arts to pretend there is some "secret sauce" to it, this is brutal primitive combat where size and physical strength is at its most important, andI have actual trouble suspending my disbelief. That exhausted small woman can take out one big burly man with superior weapons and armor is miracle already, and then she just keep swinging her sword like she's made out of metal. Realistic rendering kind of tripped them up here :messenger_grinning_sweat: And I liked TLOU2.

Anyway, bits with giants were impressive and moving. More of this!
I share the same opinion. 2 major problems for me :

- story and Senua character don't go anywhere, less appealing than in the first game, i think H2 even destroyed what was great about the story of the first one, that you could interpret the event as purely inner and symbolic, but no now it's a fantasy world with very down to earth thing plus Senua is Rambo

- there is simply not enough setpieces, 5 years since the game was announced, even with that level of visuals there should be more, the game is very short and despite that a lot of segments are here just to gain some time (like the cave)

Too bad, because on second thoughts i think the fact they gave less freedom / dumbed down the game compared to the first one is actually a good thing. Games pretending they're not interactive movie is tiring so the fact they get straight to the point is good.

It's just that i think the IP had only potential for one game. Although i still like the global tone and aesthetic of the game.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Finished a playthrough, around 11 hours and missing a few lore posts and some secret stuff. Magnificent and exhausting, and sometimes really scary. Tte cave system beneath mirror lake gave me a serious fit of claustrophobia, crawling through that final exit hole. God damn.

In general, the combat feels simplified from the first but it works so well on a cinematic level that I dont care. Its also feels great and its not easy Id say. I died a few times on default difficulty. It just feels like the difficulty has been balanced so that most people can finish it. The Fenrir fight at the end of H1 was pretty tough as well as more enemies to deal with.

I also feel like NT really nailed the companions and bosses, like Thorgestr’s dad. Such a wonderful villain face.

vBwJNLV.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Finished a playthrough, around 11 hours and missing a few lore posts and some secret stuff. Magnificent and exhausting, and sometimes really scary. Tte cave system beneath mirror lake gave me a serious fit of claustrophobia, crawling through that final exit hole. God damn.
Me too man. Whatever you do, never under any circumstances watch this video. I did a couple months ago. Felt genuine terror, heart rate increase.

Dont hit play. Dont do it.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
About 2 hours in, just freed the dude from the draugrs.

It's a fine experience if you know what to expect (Did not say "great" or "amazing").
I do feel bad for people buying this blind expecting a Goddess Of War action filled adventure but that's on them for not doing the tiniest bit of research.

Also Congrats on whoever worked on Senua's braid. There's no clipping and the physics are great 😃

Fredrik

And why let me crawl through a pitch black cave and have stressed out voices talk about how there is something hidden in the darkness and then not put in a cool brutal fight in there? Major disappointment there.
Should I go back and edit that? lmao I think I should 😅

6.9 hours now, the game has become sooo much better in this last session!👌

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In general, the combat feels simplified from the first but it works so well on a cinematic level that I dont care. Its also feels great and its not easy Id say. I died a few times on default difficulty. It just feels like the difficulty has been balanced so that most people can finish it. The Fenrir fight at the end of H1 was pretty tough as well as more enemies to deal with.

I also feel like NT really nailed the companions and bosses, like Thorgestr’s dad]. Such a wonderful villain face.

Claustrophobic situations get me every time. It's an irrational fear.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Man, I fucking hate puzzles in games - All of them. Im walking around for 20 minutes trying to figure out which torch to light next. Fuck. make it skippable.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Man, I fucking hate puzzles in games - All of them. Im walking around for 20 minutes trying to figure out which torch to light next. Fuck. make it skippable.
Yeah. If they asked me to rate the game during some of those puzzles I’d give it a 3…

The fights though. I’m in a cave now, jaw on the floor, it’s awesome! If they let me rate the game right now I’d give it a 10!

No wonder critics has given it everything from 4/10 to 10/10.

RPS37

Nfzv2rh.jpeg

I hope this doesn’t pop up more than twice.
That being said, I’m already a couple hours in and I’m, if nothing else, amazed by the audiovisual experience.

Orbital2060

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just started playing and it for sure is a looker alright. Placing the intro on the beach is a bit strange though. The water effects look like a generation or two behind the graphics of everything else…

Jesb

Playing this game makes me think how amazing other games would be to play if they lived in this games visuals. Like a RE or the last of us would be insane. I think a tomb raider in this tech would be a sight to behold.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Did the first chapter. I forgot how annoying those inner voices are... Its alright but really slowpaced. Combat isnt too hard.

Top Bottom