• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes October 14th

Why does it even matter? Why do people need reassurance like this? If you enjoy the console you enjoy it, who cares who sells better you already bought it.

The relative and absolute sales indicate the strength of the platform and are a significant indicator for future software support.

Also, some folks just enjoy dissecting and examining the industry.

Time until PR usually starts coming out

t1413498600z1.png

I am super excited albeit I'll miss some of the thread early on

Why does it even matter? Why do people need reassurance like this? If you enjoy the console you enjoy it, who cares who sells better you already bought it.

Are some people really that worried he might be right?

Hmmmmmm ...

Maybe ya'll took my comment out of context or something?

Neither worried nor need reassurance. How was that needing reassurance anyway?

Confusion has entered the meeting.

NPD Night
Thursday Night Football
No plans for shit; no commitments
Wife and kid going shopping with grandparents

Gonna be a great night :)

GhaleonEB

Hmmmmmm ...

Maybe ya'll took my comment out of context or something?

Neither worried nor need reassurance. How was that needing reassurance anyway?

Confusion has entered the meeting.

Well you did write:

If he is right I will sign off the internet and only come back when I need help from Gamefaqs

It's easy to interpret that as you not taking the news well.

Question:

Very roughly, how good of an indication are Amazon's charts for software?

I ask because, while I understand that Driveclub has been buried by the mostly broken online and negative reviews, even Forza Horizon 2 is sitting at a very unimpressive sales rank for October :(

Forza's September: #71

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-09/videogames#4

Forza and Driveclub's October: #88 and #87

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-10/videogames#5

Where are the legs? Is this something to take as evidence (given that the rank is so low -- I understand that the ranks are always weak signals, but once a brand new release sinks into the 80's, is it safe to draw some inference?)

Thanks!

While I'm guessing these games aren't burning up the sales charts, it's also worth noting that the digital version of Driveclub was $10 cheaper on PSN prior to launch, which doesn't show up in NPD or Amazon charts. In addition, I assume a number of users are holding out for the free Playstation Plus version of the game. My guess is that a minority of purchasers actually picked up a full priced physical copy of this game.

Sorry to derail the thread.

shandy706

While I'm guessing these games aren't burning up the sales charts, it's also worth noting that the digital version of Driveclub was $10 cheaper on PSN prior to launch, which doesn't show up in NPD or Amazon charts. In addition, I assume a number of users are holding out for the free Playstation Plus version of the game. My guess is that a minority of purchasers actually picked up a full priced physical copy of this game.

Sorry to derail the thread.

In Horizon 2's case I went digital. I knew I'd never trade it in or sale it in the next 2-3 years anyway.

It's best to not give Amazon's lists too much credit.

I do think digital is starting to change things on the console side.

bryehn

Man, I hope the PR drops before I have to leave tonight. Hoping the X1 did well enough, but strongly doubt it beat PS4 in Destiny month.

cakely

I'm sorry, did you look at the topic title before you posted this? This thread is literally about U.S. Hardware predictions, so it's full of people who care about which console sold better.

allan-bh

No way PS4 only sold 250k, but I'm curious if Pachter predicted Xbox One sales well. If really sold around 325k, is very good, independent of PS4 sales.

Skeff

No way PS4 only sold 250k, but I'm curious if Pachter predicted Xbox One sales well. If really sold around 325k, is very good, independent of PS4 sales.

There's quite a few gaffers predicting similar numbers as that for xb1, personally I think he's pretty much spot on with his prediction as long as you don't count the white ps4 of course.

So Pachter's prediction being uh controversial will likely lead to more overall posters actively engaging in the actual NPD thread when it comes out

Pros: More gaffers [likely not as familiar with sales trends] will participate in the NPD thread

Cons: More gaffers [likely not as familiar with sales trends] will participate in the NPD thread

Any bets on the final length of the September 2014 NPD thread?

1. March 2014 - 7,109 replies -> Titanfall [+ bundles] month fails to propel XB1 ahead
  2. November 2013 - 5,349 replies -> PS4 + XB1 launch
  3. June 2014 - 4,781 replies -> Kinectless XB1 releases, fails to beat PS4
  4. January 2013 - 4,592 replies -> Wii U hard drop?
  5. May 2014 - 4,144 replies -> Watch Dogs release + MK8 release

September 2014 - ???? replies -> Destiny releases, PS4 Destiny Bundle releases, XB1 promotions, Fifa 15 releases, Pachter says numbers, internet goes crazy

I'm going to predict September beats out at least January for replies. NPD threads seem to be getting much more popular as of late

Skeff

So Pachter's prediction being uh controversial will likely lead to more overall posters actively engaging in the actual NPD thread when it comes out

Pros: More gaffers [likely not as familiar with sales trends] will participate in the NPD thread

Cons: More gaffers [likely not as familiar with sales trends] will participate in the NPD thread

1. March 2014 - 7,109 replies -> Titanfall [+ bundles] month fails to propel XB1 ahead
  5. May 2014 - 4,144 replies -> Watch Dogs release???

September 2014 - ???? replies -> Destiny releases, PS4 Destiny Bundle releases, XB1 promotions, Fifa 15 releases, Pachter says numbers, internet goes crazy

I'm going to predict September beats out at least January for replies. NPD threads seem to be getting much more popular as of late

I'll go for around 6k replies putting it in a solid 2nd place, I expect a lot of very short posts commenting only on pachters predictions.

I think it might beat June. There seems to be a lot of hype regarding sales this month judging from the Pachter thread.

N.Domixis

Banned

It will beat 5,4,3.

Welfare

If trend is the same (PS4 win), it'll be number 4. If Pachter is right, Number 1 at 10k replies.

Looking forward to the inevitable "October is gonna be really interesting" posts.

Each and every month is more' interesting' than the last.

Honestly for me June NDP was the most interesting because I was expecting a kinectless xbone at price parity to make the biggest difference. There is nothing else you can put on the chalkboard that is a bigger deal, at least in my mind.

Blanquito

Now this is getting meta... predictions on the number of replies for a NPD thread! Haha. I like it.

Top Bottom