• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequel films you feel are superior than the original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evil Dead 2 is basically just a better version of Evil Dead, complete with a super-quick psuedo-recap/retcon of Ash and his girlfriend arriving at the cabin in the beginning. The original Evil Dead is interesting to watch just to see what Raimi did with a limited budget, but it doesn't have the horror/comedy balance that ED2 nails. I actually like it more than Army of Darkness, which veered a bit more into the comedy side of things.

Also, when it comes to Alien & Aliens, I don't consider one better than the other. Alien 1 is a fucking masterpiece of a monster movie. I'm still blown away by the sets and practical effects. Meanwhile, Aliens is one of the most influential sci-fi action movies ever. It helps that they have two different directors with two different but excellent visions.

The_Raid_2_Berandal_teaser_banner.jpeg

My man.

T2, Empire, and Godfather 2 as well of course.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Not selling Fellowship short, since that's a great movie too, but I feel like the characters are far more fleshed out here, and Frodo and Sam in particular got much of their development here. And like I said, this has less tell more show feel since you do see stuff like how much widespread Sauron's control is, how big Saruman's forces are, etc.

But mind you I got my experience from EE.
The EE of Two Towers is absolutely an improvement, largely due to the fleshing out of Boromir and Faramir.

But you have a ton of dumb ass drama between Aragorn and Arwen that adds nothing. They break up because Elrond is a meddlesome dick, Arwen says "no", and Aragorn just goes "okay". Like that totally just cheapens the simple elegance of how you portray their relationship in Fellowship. In only a tiny handful of scenes, they do so much to establish how much devotion and respect they have for one another. Then Two Towers comes in and turns it into filler CW drama. I don't mind Arwen's flash forward to her standing by Aragorn's tomb, but the rest was unnecessary.

The Nazgul are also kinda cheapened. In Fellowship, they're filmed beautifully and hauntingly. The shot in Fellowship of the silhouetted Ringwraith, rim-lit by only a little bit of moonlight is such a perfectly haunting image. When they show up in Two Towers, that craft just disappears and they just look like videogame minibosses.

You're right, Frodo and Sam get more fleshing out, and Andy Serkis helped bring Gollum forward in an amazing way. But... ending your movie with a really generic speech about light and hope by Sam (as great as Sean Astin is in the role) is so fucking weak. Like... the Ringwraith is literally just scared away with an arrow and the assault is over.

And this is also where they start turning Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli into these kinda cartoonish incarnations of themselves. Despite being surrounded by other elves, Legolas is some kind of Super Elf. Like his cool stunts before were kinda minor but just a tick above human that they were still impressive. Gimli became less of a stout little bad ass and instead turned into goofy sidekick who they can make short-jokes with. And Aragorn leans way hard into this hero role. I mean he's always been noble and heroic, but it turned to excess here. He's the one who has to fall off a cliff in a forced moment to add tension so that he can see the army, despite Legolas being the Elf with fucking super-vision. He's the one who quells Theoden's anger against Wormtongue.

I dunno, man. I just don't see it.

Eidan

The Godfather, Part II
The Dark Knight
Back to the Future, Part II
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Empire Strikes Back
A Better Tomorrow II
Crank: High Voltage

Fuchsdh

More like a ton of the same gags.

They basically rehashed everything about the first film but did it better. Works for me.

Also, when it comes to Alien & Aliens, I don't consider one better than the other. Alien 1 is a fucking masterpiece of a monster movie. I'm still blown away by the sets and practical effects. Meanwhile, Aliens is one of the most influential sci-fi action movies ever. It helps that they have two different directors with two different but excellent visions.
I think both movies are actually kind of poor in hindsight, actually, for the same reasons—both were absolutely revolutionary for its time, but both also basically spawned so many of the dumb elements that have become tropes for their respective genres.

I've seen sequels that are tighter/cleaner/more focused than their originals (i.e. Empire, Aliens, T2), but I don't think any of them are superior to the originals.

The only case I can think of are super-hero movies like Batman Returns being better than Batman (1989) and The Dark Knight being better than Batman Begins. Also, the newest two Xmen movies are better than the ones that came out in the early 2000s. Basically all of those fall into franchises though, so I'm not sure where you draw the line.

Platy

People already expanded on Terminator 2 and Winter Soldier, so lets me expand on my other 2 choices :

pTqGiIB.jpg

Bill & Ted 2 not only works the characters in marvelous ways, but it changes the plot considerably in ways that few sequels can. Also it features on of the best depictions of both Death and Hell on screen till today.

5Nc7xFw.jpg

Back to the Future part 2 is the first time travel movie sequel that plays with time traveling back to the first movie. It is the only Back to the Future movie where time traveling is actualy a major plot point, not a mcguffin, and of course is the most memorable movie of the trilogy because of the future.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I actually don't think this film is better than its predecessor, but it damn well gives it a run for its money, and I know it's often considered the stronger entry.

t3yOtzX.png

Before Sunset. Sequels often fall into the trapping of just putting its characters through the same arc as previous, even if unintentional. In the end, they're almost telling the same story. The best sequels take what came previously and use that to build a story that can now hit higher emotional highs. It avoids treading on its predecessor's shoes. The characters in Before Sunset are so clearly them from the first film in an entirely new place emotionally. They're more world weary, less optimistic. Before Sunrise is the fairy tale. Before Sunset is the sobering reality. They work together in perfect harmony but they're completely different films with different identities. I can't ask for anything more from a sequel.

One of the most beautiful films of all time and amazing sequel. If you care an iota about either of the characters it's almost impossible not to feel at least teary eyed by the end.

How can people possibly like Home Alone 2 over the original? It must be the laziest God damn movie in history. They did the exact same plot twice, it's actually kind of incredible.

But this time kevin took the plane, just a different one. That's something.

Still the McAllister's are the worst family ever.

How can people possibly like Home Alone 2 over the original? It must be the laziest God damn movie in history. They did the exact same plot twice, it's actually kind of incredible.

For me, it's all about the setting. Christmas in New York is beautiful, and this is the film that made me want to go there for it. That, and I liked the setup of the traps better since it was in a place that Kevin wasn't exactly familiar with compared to his house.

Sephzilla

Home Alone 2 plays into the fact that it's so similar to the first movie, with the crooks even anticipating the same traps only to get hit with some unexpected and funnier trap. Also

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11200-1387394548-0.gif

This kills me every time.

Still the McAllister's are the worst family ever.

Realistically Home Alone 2 should end with Kevin's parents being arrested and Kevin going to a new home. The entire McAllister family in that movie is loaded with awful people.

KnBhEng.gif

Maybe that's why Home Alone 3 focuses on a different kid/family

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Terminator 2 and Empire Strikes Back are probably going to take this , maybe some prefer the action sci fi tone of Aliens compared to Alien but i think thats an equal split like Batman Begins vs TDK.

There are others but those are the two best sequels ...like ever in stand alone quality and step up from original combined the best you could hope for when you get that infusion of money the originals didnt have.

I feel like Two Towers drags ever so slightly, and is responsible for the character assassination of Faramir that a lot of book purists loathed.

Return of the King is the movie of the trilogy for me.

Hellboy 2
Blade 2
Batman Returns

I like the directors who made these more than the source material and I felt like these were more about those guys being creative and doing what they wanted to do than about being faithful to the source material. They're just stranger more interesting movies to me.

Godfather 2 is better than the first (the greatest vs. the runner-up of all time).
Came in here to see if anyone mentioned Godfather part 2 so I could disagree with them. This obviously comes down to opinion but the first is the best for me. Right from the opening wedding scene to the greatest big whacking of the trilogy, the first one is the best. De Niro was amazing in 2 and so was Pachino but Brando was the best. The beef with Solazzo, Barzini and Tataglia was way better than his beef with Roth in the second. Vitos revenge on Ciccio in the second was pretty dope though. Its close in my eyes but the OG Godfather just cant and will never be topped as the greatest movie of all time IMO.

The way how you see all the people asking Vito for favors in the begining and how those favors come into play throughout the move... just brilliant. Plus Clamenza isnt even in 2 except the scenes in the past with Vito. It just doesnt feel right.

Its a toss up which one has my favorite scene though. Its either Michael confronting Fredo in Cuba or its the speech Vito gives about how if even a bolt of lighting should touch Michael, that he wont forgive...

As much as it pains me to say the 3rd might even have my favorite scene of the trilogy with Michael on the steps at the end.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Terminator was great and all, but T2 was a damn masterpiece.

This is a tough one. Terminator and Terminator 2 are so different in scope and atmosphere that I feel like it's unfair to compare the two directly. The Terminator is more of a slasher horror movie and Terminator 2 is straight-up action.

I love both films but for different reasons and I can't really place one over the other.

Catching Fire is a great sequel. Hunger Games was okay but CF was better in every imaginable way, surprisingly badass movie.

And then 3 and 4 were lame... it's a strange franchise. Can't think of anything else where the second of 3(ish) stood this far above the others.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The EE of Two Towers is absolutely an improvement, largely due to the fleshing out of Boromir and Faramir.

But you have a ton of dumb ass drama between Aragorn and Arwen that adds nothing. They break up because Elrond is a meddlesome dick, Arwen says "no", and Aragorn just goes "okay". Like that totally just cheapens the simple elegance of how you portray their relationship in Fellowship. In only a tiny handful of scenes, they do so much to establish how much devotion and respect they have for one another. Then Two Towers comes in and turns it into filler CW drama. I don't mind Arwen's flash forward to her standing by Aragorn's tomb, but the rest was unnecessary.

The Nazgul are also kinda cheapened. In Fellowship, they're filmed beautifully and hauntingly. The shot in Fellowship of the silhouetted Ringwraith, rim-lit by only a little bit of moonlight is such a perfectly haunting image. When they show up in Two Towers, that craft just disappears and they just look like videogame minibosses.

You're right, Frodo and Sam get more fleshing out, and Andy Serkis helped bring Gollum forward in an amazing way. But... ending your movie with a really generic speech about light and hope by Sam (as great as Sean Astin is in the role) is so fucking weak. Like... the Ringwraith is literally just scared away with an arrow and the assault is over.

And this is also where they start turning Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli into these kinda cartoonish incarnations of themselves. Despite being surrounded by other elves, Legolas is some kind of Super Elf. Like his cool stunts before were kinda minor but just a tick above human that they were still impressive. Gimli became less of a stout little bad ass and instead turned into goofy sidekick who they can make short-jokes with. And Aragorn leans way hard into this hero role. I mean he's always been noble and heroic, but it turned to excess here. He's the one who has to fall off a cliff in a forced moment to add tension so that he can see the army, despite Legolas being the Elf with fucking super-vision. He's the one who quells Theoden's anger against Wormtongue.

I dunno, man. I just don't see it.

I agree on the love plot, but I thought that thing was in all movies and it was a bit distracting. And I do agree on the cast becoming caricatures. And I do agree on the ring wraiths being better in Fellowship.

But still, I feel that overall it still managed to do well by combining what the first and third have and by showing the movement and actions of the enemy. It just resonated with me more, I feel. The first movie felt more like your typical RPG gang doing things before hitting a story plotpoint.

Shrek_2_poster.jpg

Shrek 2 is the best Shrek movie

Oh forgot about this!

That's the thing though.

Home Alone 2 did HA1's plot... but better.

It meshes the Christmas theme so much well. It gave Kevin a much dire situation (and it shows), and it adds more layer to his character.

Sephzilla

This is a tough one. Terminator and Terminator 2 are so different in scope and atmosphere that I feel like it's unfair to compare the two directly. The Terminator is more of a slasher horror movie and Terminator 2 is straight-up action.

I love both films but for different reasons and I can't really place one over the other.

I think you can take this post, replace Terminator with Alien and you have the exact same situation. The smartest thing Cameron did with both Aliens and Terminator 2 was to genre-shift both movies into action movies versus their more horror-centric originals. Doing the original movie again would have been a diminishing return, going the balls to the wall action route kept things fresh while also helping to prevent direct comparisons between the two.

Alx

Rocky I is good, but there's barely any story in there. Mediocre guy lives mediocre life, superstar champion just doesn't care, both end up fighting each other on the ring by chance, mediocre guy gives everything he has and surprises everybody. The end.
The sequel gives us a much more interesting portrait of both characters, one of the formerly poor guy being lost in his new rich life, and the other of the champion being obsessed by that match that he didn't feel he won.

gioGAF

For me personally:

Aliens over Alien (both good, but I enjoyed Aliens more)
Dark Knight over Batman Begins
Captain America: Winter Soldier over First Avenger
X2 over X-men

It is funny how subjective tastes are, while I can understand why some people prefer Terminator 2 to Terminator 1 (different types of movies really, T1 also has a shitty budget) or Godfather 2 to Godfather 1 (which I completely disagree with, Godfather 1 is a masterpiece, G2 is good, but it PALES in comparison to 1) - other choices are just delusional (Back to the Future 2 is GARBAGE, while BttF1 is amazing).

Kalentan

Two Towers is your favourite LoTR movie, so why do I even respond? Forgets Hobbits, has a way to long battle and doesn't do the spirit of the books justice. It foreshadows the godawful Hobbit movies.

Well argued.

Movie is at 91% at Rotten, so the general consensus does seem to say no to your judgement. And well, I liked the deeper characters, the surprisingly mature love relationships and the flight scenes which did not look like cheap 3D gimmicks anymore, but actually profitted from 3D.

I also liked how the sequel had a fairly mature message in it. That being that sometimes people can't be talked down and Hiccup paid the price for it. He kept saying how Drago could be talked down, but he couldn't and thus...
his father dies having to save him.

For me personally:

Aliens over Alien (both good, but I enjoyed Aliens more)
Dark Knight over Batman Begins
Captain America: Winter Soldier over First Avenger
X2 over X-men

It is funny how subjective tastes are, while I can understand why some people prefer Terminator 2 to Terminator 1 (different types of movies really, T1 also has a shitty budget) or Godfather 2 to Godfather 1 (which I completely disagree with, Godfather 1 is a masterpiece, G2 is good, but it PALES in comparison to 1) - other choices are just delusional (Back to the Future 2 is GARBAGE, while BttF1 is amazing).

HoLEE shit, I can't believe I forgot this one. Winter Soldier is not only leaps and bounds better than First Avenger, it's in the top 3 of MCU movies.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
RCBQ5eo.jpg

Home Alone 2 - Better atmosphere, better gags, more ambitious traps - it's just a better movie.

I can't agree with any of that. It's not that I don't like Home Alone 2, I just think the first one did all of those things better.

We watched it at the weekend and couldn't help ourselves, we were quoting lines to each other, humming the music before it even came in, and just laughing out loud. It's just brilliant.

Catching Fire is a great sequel. Hunger Games was okay but CF was better in every imaginable way, surprisingly badass movie.

And then 3 and 4 were lame... it's a strange franchise. Can't think of anything else where the second of 3(ish) stood this far above the others.

Yeah CF was amazing. Wish they hadn't split 3 up and just made it more like CF.

A true masterpiece...

220px-DrunkenMasterII.jpg

XSpa34O.png

Yes! Drunken Master 2 or The Legend of Drunken Master in the US.

This was Jackie Chan's answer to the wuxia kung fu movie craze of the 90's and his swan song to classic kung fu movies, and holy shit did it deliver, it's straight up kung fu film masterpiece. Some of the most complex fight choreography ever put on film, and that element of heighten danger Jackie Chan style pushes it over the top against others; sure getting kicked into a bed of live burning coals is crazy and yet Jackie did it for the sake of the movie.

This movie can be watched as a standalone as the character of Wong Fei Hung played by Jackie is what loosely ties it to the original; so if you guys haven't watched it and like kung fu action please watch it; funny, action packed, briskly paced movie and showcases so many different type of onscreen fighting; hand to hand, weapon based, 1 on 1, 1 versus many, 2 versus an entire gang, etc.

Monocle

I think agree with The Two Towers. At least, I used to think it was my favorite LOTR movie. The Fellowship of the Ring is such a great self-contained film though, so it's hard to make that call. I need to revisit the series again.

Definitely Terminator 2. The original feels so old. But then again, I only saw it once, and I really ought to give it another chance.

And definitely The Dark Knight.

I'm torn on The Empire Strikes Back. A New Hope is so good. I prefer its ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom