• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series Representation in Super Smash Bros Wii-U/3DS

Very sorry if this a bit too long, to keep the intro short and simple;

With each new installment, people are always complaining that certain series don't have enough representation in Super Smash Bros, and that Sakurai is more biased in favor of his own franchises (Kirby, Kid Icarus) and what not. While some of these might ring true, I've been wondering lately just how much of these claims are fit the bill. Are there series that have more favoritism than others or perhaps ones that need more time in the spotlight for future games? With that said, here's a list showing just how much series representation each main franchise has in Super Smash Bros. for Wii-U and 3DS. You don't have to read it, you can skip below to the last paragraph and go right ahead and post your thoughts on series representation in Super Smash Bros.

Just getting it out of the way, not gonna include trophies, custom moves, masterpieces, or any of that jazz. This is just about the playable characters, their stages, items, Smash Run enemies, etc. Assist Trophies also need to already relate to a fighter's series (Skull Kid for Zelda, Ashley for Wario) so no Nintendogs and whatnot. Also no Mii Characters, since that's more of a Nintendo thing. Anyway, let's get started with,

JwN58xI.jpg

Mario

The Mario franchise includes the following;
Fighters; Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Bowser Jr, and Dr. Mario.
Stages; Mario Galaxy, Mushroom Kingdom U, Golden Plains, 3D Land, Mario Circuit (MK8), Paper Mario, Mario Circuit (Brawl), Rainbow Road, Delfino Plaza, Mushroomy Kingdom, and Luigi's Mansion.
Items; Tanooki Leaf, Boomerang, Blue Shell, POW Block, Green Shell, Hothead, Bob-omb, Fire Flower, Lightning, Bullet Bill, Fire Bar, Metal Box, Super Star, Posion Mushroom, and finally the Super Mushroom.
Assist Trophies; Chain Chomp, Hammer Bro, Lakitus, Waluigi
Smash Run enemies; Banzai Bill, Bill Blaster, Bullet Bill, Chain Chomp, Flame Chomp, Giant Goomba, Goomba, Hammer Bro, Koopa Paratroopa, Koopa Troopa, Lakitus, Magikoopa, Shy Guy and Spike Top.

- 7 fighters, 2 of which are newcomers
- 11 stages, 6 of which are new
- 15 items
- 4 assists
- 14 enemies
- 63 songs

It doesn't go without saying that Mario is Nintendo's mascot. Surely that dictates him to have more representation in Smash than some of the other franchises. Some may argue that he has too much representation in a series that is supposed to be about all of Nintendo's franchises, but looking at just how large both the Smash and Mario series are in general, I'd argue he's hit just about the right amount.

aEGfPmR.jpg

Yoshi

While some may think of Yoshi as apart of the Mario franchise this is not the case for now. He has always been considered his own series since the very beginning of Smash. With that said, Yoshi has the following

Fighters; Yoshi
Stages; Yoshi's Island (Melee), Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Woolly World
Items; None
Assist Trophies; None
Smash Run enemies; Fly Guy

- 1 fighters
- 3 stages, 1 new
- 0 items
- 0 assists
- 1 enemies
- 12 songs

Contrary to belief, the Super Scope, while most popularly associated with Yoshi's Safari, was not created solely for that game. Because of which, it isn't included. Nonetheless, Yoshi has been featured in every Smash Bros game to date, and as such there's no excuse for such poor representation in Smash 4. Part of it has to do with the fact that there's not that many Yoshi characters that can be considered for Smash, but the low number of stages, items, enemies, and songs are unacceptable imo.

0OP2EyR.jpg

Wario

Fighters; Wario
Stages; WarioWare, Gamer
Items; None
Assist Trophies; Ashley, Kat & Ana
Smash Run enemies; None

- 1 fighter
- 2 stages, 1 new
- 0 items
- 2 assists
- 0 enemies
- 7 songs

For those wondering why Waluigi isn't listed with Wario, he has never appeared in any Warioware or Land titles, only starring in Mario spinoffs. Until that fateful day comes, Walugi is considered a Mario character. Anyway, appearing as a Newcomer in Brawl, I wouldn't exactly call this poor representation, getting a new stage and a few assists. I also wouldn't call this good either, as Wario has a plethora of colorful characters and possible stages to pick from and put in Smash. Hopefully Smash 5 will be good to him.

Sg9bMPP.jpg

DK

Fighters; Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong
Stages; Jungle Hijinks, Jungle Japes, Congo Jungle, 75m
Items; Banana Peel, Spring, Hammer, Golden Hammer
Assist Trophies; None
Smash Run enemies; Kremling Kritters, Tiki Buzz

- 2 fighters
- 4 stages, 1 new
- 4 items
- 0 assists
- 2 enemies
- 19 songs

DK's one of the oldest Nintendo franchises, as such, his rep is somewhat poor. There are many members of the Kong & Kremling family to use as characters or assists, as well as various locations from the DKC series to use as stages. Considering how amazing the music is for each DK installment, the low list of music is a tad disappointing.

2zJL7K9.jpg

Zelda

Fighters; Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Toon Link
Stages; Skyloft, Gerudo Valley, Bridge of Eldin, Spirit Train, Temple
Items; Heart Container, Bunny Hood, Fairy Bottle, Gust Bellows, Bombchu, Deku Nut, Beetle, Cuccos
Assist Trophies; Ghirahim, Midna, Skull Kid, Tingle
Smash Run enemies; Bubble, Cucco, Darknut, Octorok, Peahat, ReDead, Stalfos

- 5 fighters
- 5 stages, 3 new
- 8 items
- 4 assists
- 7 enemies
- 28 songs

Zelda is one of Nintendo's heavy hitters. What we have so far isn't bad, but there are a lot of possible things that could be added to further rep the Zelda franchise. Maybe a little Impa here and there, wink wink nudge nudge.

LUrjyKa.jpg

Metroid

Fighters; Samus, Zero Suit Samus
Stages; Pyrosphere, Brinstar, Norfair
Items; Screw Attack
Assist Trophies; Dark Samus, Metroid, Mother Brain
Smash Run enemies; Kihunter, Metroid, Reo, Zoomer

- 2 fighters
- 3 stages, 1 new
- 1 item
- 3 assists
- 5 enemies
- 17 songs

This really isn't that bad for the Metroid franchise. Although there could be a bit more songs and locations taken from the Prime series, it seems fine overall. Except for one....little....thing....missing...

Ahem.

YqOTdxW.jpg

Kid Icarus

Fighters; Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit
Stages; Palutena's Temple, Reset Bomb Forest, Skyworld
Items; Daybreak, Ore Club, X Bomb, Killer Eye, Back Shield
Assist Trophies; Magnus, Phosphora
Smash Run enemies; Boom Stomper, Bumpety Bomb, Clubberskull, Daphne, Flage, Lethinium, Lurchthorn, Mahva, Megonta, Mimicutie, Monoeye, Nutski, Orne, Reaper, Skuttler, Skuttler Canoneer, Skuttler Mage, Souflee, Zuree

- 3 fighters, 2 newcomers
- 3 stages, 2 new
- 5 items
- 2 assists
- 19 enemies
- 15 songs

With all the complaining that Kid Icarus has too much rep in Smash and Sakurai is biased, there really isn't that much here. Sure the enemies may be a bit overkill, but considering how old Kid Icarus is, and how he was already in Brawl, this seems like a fine amount added from the representation Pit had in Brawl. Of course that's mostly due to Uprising, but whatever.

RqcKnkF.jpg

Fire Emblem

Fighters; Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina
Stages; Coliseium, Arena Ferox, Castle Seige
Items; None
Assist Trophies; Lyn
Smash Run Enemies; None

- 4 fighters, 2 new
- 3 stages, 2 new
- 0 items
- 1 assist
- 0 enemies
- 21 songs

Personally Fire Emblem feels rightfully repped. I'm sure there are alot of characters in the FE universe that can be playable fighters and assist trophies, but as it is so far it doesn't seem all that lacking considering FE's popularity within the recent decade.

J2q8WdF.jpg

Kirby

Fighters; Kirby, King Dedede, Metaknight
Stages; The Great Cave Offensive, Dream Land, Halberd
Items; Dragoon Parts, Maxim Tomato, Warp Star, Star Rod
Assist Trophies; Knuckle Joe, Nightmare
Smash Run enemies; Bonkers, Bronto Burt, Gordo, Parasol Waddle Dee, Plasma Whip, Shotzo, Tac, Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo

- 3 fighters
- 3 stages, 2 new
- 4 items
- 2 assists
- 9 enemies
- 25 songs

Considering this is Sakurai's baby, I expected a bit more than this. It's good representation all around, although as always, an extra stage and character wouldn't hurt.

kvTtU4M.jpg

Star Fox

Fighters; Fox, Falco
Stages; Orbital Gate Assault, Corneria, Lylat Cruise
Items; Smart Bomb
Assist Trophies; Andross
Smash Run enemies; None

- 2 fighters
- 3 stages, 1 new
- 1 item
- 1 assist
- 0 enemies
- 14 songs

Starfox seems to have gotten the short end of the stick, and reducing the character count from Brawl didn't help at all. Perhaps it's because Sakurai felt Starfox wasn't that relevant of a series, perhaps this will change with the upcoming Wii-U game. Although that doesn't excuse the lack of characters, or same final smashes....

yughku5.jpg

Pokémon

Fighters; Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, Mewtwo (DLC)
Stages; Kalos Pokemon League, Unova Pokemon League, Pokemon Stadium 2, Prism Tower
Items; Pokeball, Masterball
Assist Trophies; None
Smash Run enemies; Chandelure, Cryogonal, Gastly, Koffinh, Petilil

- 6 fighters, 1 new
- 4 stages, 3 new
- 2 items
- 0 assists
- 5 enemies
- 25 songs

I debated on whether I should include the Pokemon and Legendaries or not. In the end, I decided not to, I consider them apart of the Pokeball/Masterball item. If you want, you can count them, but for the sake of not padding out this thread, I won't. I don't know that much about Pokemon so sadly I don't know if would be considered good rep or not.

c7flN3y.jpg

Earthbound

Fighters; Ness
Stages; Onett, Magicant
Items; Franklikn Badge, Mr. Saturn
Assist Trophies; Jeff, Starman
Smash Run enemies; Devil Car, Starman

- 1 fighter
- 2 stages, 1 new
- 2 items
- 2 assists
- 2 enemies
- 9 songs

Earthbound, just like Starfox, got the short stick. Reduced character amount from Brawl, only 2 stages, 1 on both versions, 1 item, few amount of songs. Earthbound has some of the most oddly unique characters and worlds in Nintendo, and it's a shame we haven't seen more of it being utilized in Smash.

8qKLiF3.jpg

Game & Watch

Fighters; Game & Watch
Stages; Flat Zone 2, Flat Zone X
Items; None
Assists; None
Smash Run enemies; None

- 1 fighter
- 2 stages, 1 new...?
- 0 items
- 0 assists
- 0 enemies
- 2 songs

Game & Watch is kind of odd. While it's considered some of the first handheld games for Nintendo, that's all it really has going for it. I think of G&W more of a character than a series personally.

5C2RCfy.jpg

F-Zero

Fighters; Captain Falcon
Stages; Port Town Aero Drive, Mute City
Items; None
Assists; Samurai Goroh
Smash Run enemies; None

- 1 fighter
- 2 stages, 1 new
- 0 items
- 1 assist
- 0 enemies
- 15 songs

F-Zero is poorly repped, and relevancy might have something to do with that as Sakurai mentioned before. Nothing to it really.

yO0fXAc.jpg

Pikmin

Fighters; Captain Olimar & Pikmin, Alph
Stages; Garden of Hope, Distant Planet
Items; Hocotate Bomb
Assist Trophies; None
Smash Run enemies; Bulborb and Iridescent Glint Beetle

- 2 fighters, 1 new
- 2 stages, 1 new
- 1 item
- 0 assists
- 2 enemies
- 8 songs

I'm counting Alph as his own character for this thread. That aside, for a franchise that's been around since the GCN era, Pikmin could really use some more fighters and stages. The world of Pikmin is beautiful.

8QJHY7l.jpg

R.O.B.

Fighters; 1
Everything Else; None

- 1 fighter
- 1 song

Uh....does this even count as a series? R.O.B. only had two games, so there's room for a stage I guess. That's about it. As far as series reps go this could be considered near perfect.

3cUZoCo.jpg

Duck Hunt

Fighters; Duck Hunt
Stages; Duck Hunt
Items; None
Assists; None
Smash Run enemies; None

- 1 fighter
- 1 stage
- 1 song

I was wrong, this is perfect as far as representation goes. Joking aside there's nothing to really add to Duck Hunt's rep.

5KIkjVl.jpg

Punch Out

Fighters; Little Mac
Stages; Boxing Ring
Items; None
Assists; None
Smash Run enemies; None

- 1 fighter
- 1 stage
- 5 songs

Punch Out is represented perfectly as a newcomer here. There's not that much you can take from the series outside of possible fighters for assist trophies in the next game.

b0gQRbc.jpg

Animal Crossing

Fighters; Villager
Stages; Town and City and Smashville
Items; Beehive and Pitfall
Assist Trophies; Isabelle
Smash Run enemies; None

- 1 fighter
- 2 stages, 1 new
- 2 items
- 1 assist
- 0 enemies
- 17 songs

Animal Crossing is an odd series, there's not too much to pick from it besides items like the shovel or slingshot, which are already apart of Villager's moveset. Seems like fine representation.

1Wuw1tP.jpg

Wii Fit

Fighters; Wii Fit Trainer, Male Fit Trainer
Stages; Wii Fit Studio
Items; None
Assists; None
Smash Run enemies; None

- 1 fighter (technically 2)
- 1 stage
- 6 songs

There isn't that much potential when it comes to Wii Fit for Smash. Maybe the Wii Balance Board as a joke character for the next game? Either way for a newcomer I guess it's alright.

y7Iql4X.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles

Fighters; Shulk
Stages; Guar Plains
Items; None
Assists; Riki
Smash Run enemies; None

- 1 fighter
- 1 stage
- 1 assist
- 8 songs

While there is potential for more Xenoblade Chronicles stuff in the next Smash Bros, I feel like Nintendo would most likely move on and borrow from the upcoming game X for the next Smash. But concerning Chronicles, this seems alright.

q28Cw5G.jpg

Pac-Man & Namco

Fighters; Pac-Man
Stages; Pac-Land, Pac-Man Maze
Items; Special Flag, Boss Galaga
Assist Trophies; Inky Pinky Blinky & Clyd (as 1)
Smash Run enemies; Bacura, Pooka,

- 1 fighter
- 2 stages
- 2 item
- 1 assist
- 2 enemies
- 10 songs

Pac-Man & Namco's rep in Smash Bros is impressive for a third-party newcomer. If he stays I'd like to see more Namco references and Pac-Man characters (Ms. Pac-Man...) in the future.

cXHPF5O.jpg

Mega Man

Fighters; Mega Man
Stages; Dr. Wily's Castle
Items; None
Assists; Elec Man
Smash Run enemies; Mettaur

- 1 fighter
- 1 stage
- 0 items
- 1 assist
- 1 enemy
-10 songs

While not as impressive as Pac-Man's Mega Man is repped fairly well as a third-party character. It's unlikely, but if he stays there is potential for Protoman and Bass as characters to start with, along with many locations and assist trophies from the world of Mega Man.

9jvoMeq.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog

Fighters; Sonic
Stages; Windy Hill Zone and Green Hill Zone
Items; None
Assists; Shadow
Smash Run enemies; Eggrobo

- 1 fighter
- 2 stages, 1 new
- 0 items
- 1 assist
- 1 enemy
- 14 songs

Sonic is the only third-party returning from Brawl. As such, his representation here is a bit poor. I understand not adding any fighters because of not being a Nintendo character, but surely Tails or Eggman appearing as Assists wouldn't hurt. Along with more stages and music, there's a lot of potential for Sonic in upcoming Smash games.

With that said, sorry for the long post. Which series do you think have good representation or bad rep? Is there a particular series you'd like to include more fighters or items from? Or maybe one that you think shouldn't receive much more of in Smash 5? Post away.

Borrowed the pics from the Smash OT, hope they don't mind

Toxi

Banned
Donkey Kong's representation is hilariously bad. Donkey Kong Country Returns outsold the entire Kid Icarus franchise combined, yet it only got one new stage, no new characters, no assist trophies, and no new items.

Also, the 3DS version is much worse than the Wii U version in this regard. Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Wario, and Metroid have no new stages, and Metroid has only two songs reused from Melee.

They haven't added a new Zelda rep since melee (Toon Link is basically Young Link's replacement), I think that series deserved someone new.
I think Metroid could've used a new rep...but I don't know who would "fit" the bill.

Needs villains (you know which ones) for DK and Metroid.

It would be cool if they had (at least) one Pokemon per generation.

Waluigi should be playable.

Impa would be okay.

I miss Wolf.

If you remove Dark Pit and Lucina, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus have 3 and 2 reps, respectively. That's fine.

Clones gonna clone.

I still consider Wario, Yoshi, and DK (though not characters from his solo games, just the ape himself) to be thoroughly Mario characters. They originated in Mario games and appear in Mario spin-offs (or main games in the case of Yoshi).

If you compare some of these directly, they don't make any sense. Fire Emblem with more representation than Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Metroid? It's craziness. Not complaining, but it's worth noting.

F-Zero's rep is totally reasonable. That is not a popular franchise in any reality, and has had few games.

Donkey Kong is shamefully underrepresented. Add Dixie Kong and King K. Rool as playable fighters, and Rambi as an Assist Trophy. The fact that Gogoat is an assist but Rambi isn't is so... absurd.

Oh yeah, and the music sucks. It would have been nice to hear a new Fear Factory remix instead of yet another arrangement of DK Island Swing.

Sonic is the only third-party returning from Brawl. As such, his representation here is a bit poor. I understand not adding any fighters because of not being a Nintendo character, but surely Tails or Eggman appearing as Assists wouldn't hurt. Along with more stages and music, there's a lot of potential for Sonic in upcoming Smash games.

I honestly think bowser jr might have started out as an idea for a playable eggman in his eggmobile. Granted, it was probably an idea dropped early on, but still.

I disagree that the Punch-Out!! representation is fine. The series could have had an enemy in Smash Run, an Assist Trophy, there could have been a boss (or bosses) in the Wii U version, the soundtrack is super limited (especially when you consider that most tracks are straight up ripped from the game), and frankly, if King Hippo or someone else was playable, that would be pretty well justified.

Toxi

Banned
Listing total songs is silly; certain franchises (Kid Icarus) got a lot more new arrangements than others (Sonic) in the new game.

Zalman

I think they have something to work on regarding Donkey Kong and Zelda. That's only a good thing though. There's still a lot to choose from in the future.

I don't think we will see more than one character from a third-party franchise. They want to keep the focus on their own stuff.

Donkey Kong's representation is hilariously bad. Donkey Kong Country Returns outsold the entire Kid Icarus franchise combined.

Also, the 3DS version is much worse than the Wii U version in this regard. Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Wario, and Metroid have no new stages, and Metroid has only two songs reused from Melee.

Huh? You say this as if it was some great feat. A game with a huge fanbase outselling a reboot of 2 very obscure nes/GB games. Of course it's going to outsell it.

Listing total songs is silly; certain franchises (Kid Icarus) got a lot more new arrangements than others (Sonic) in the new game.

That was just more of an afterthought, considering how many franchises brought back remixes from brawl and originals from Melee. Don't take it into account too much.

Donkey Kong, Metroid and Zelda are underrepresented in Smash for characters. Zelda hasn't had a new character since Melee (albeit in Melee they added the most new characters a series has ever gotten)... that's really awful for one of the most popular gaming series of all time.
There isn't even a shortage of ideas either. Dixie, Donkey Kong Jr, Dark Samus, Impa, Tingle and Ganon could all easily fit in the roster as characters.

I don't really think any series is overrepresented for characters, but I think Kid Icarus has wayyyy too many items.

I honestly think bowser jr might have started out as an idea for a playable eggman in his eggmobile. Granted, it was probably an idea dropped early on, but still.

No, we know Jr was always planned from very early on, and almost didn't make the cut, but they managed to fit him in.

The problem is instead of basing him and his supporting cast and etc off of Wario Land, they chose the inferior Wario game series.

I'm not even speaking from that POV :v I mean I'd agree that WarioWare is inferior, but even WarioWare fans should be disappointed. Wario doesn't actually do things, for the most part, that are taken from either games, and what is from the games is only loosely based on them for the most part. Wario absolutely should have a second character by now.

They have wario already. Nobody else in his games matters enough to be playable.

Wario Land's ded.

Wario Land had a game in 2008, and since then had Game & Wario in 2012. It's not like Sakurai didn't have the assets, he has just always historically not cared about the series as much and decided that he didn't want to add Captain Syrup or Ashley or whatever.

Donkey Kong, Metroid and Zelda are underrepresented in Smash for characters. Zelda hasn't had a new character since Melee (albeit in Melee they added the most new characters a series has ever gotten)... that's really awful for one of the most popular gaming series of all time.
There isn't even a shortage of ideas either. Dixie, Donkey Kong Jr, Dark Samus, Impa, Tingle and Ganon could all easily fit in the roster as characters.

I don't really think any series is overrepresented for characters, but I think Kid Icarus has wayyyy too many items.

No, we know Jr was always planned from very early on, and almost didn't make the cut, but they managed to fit him in.

Zelda hasn't had anyone since 2001, but it also had five characters in Melee.

Sponge

Banned
Donkey Kong deserves way more representation than it got. Dixie Kong in my opinion is long overdue as a playable character.

Huh? You say this as if it was some great feat. A game with a huge fanbase outselling a reboot of 2 very obscure nes/GB games. Of course it's going to outsell it.

My guess is it's because Kid Icarus has so much representation in Smash already. I know that has to do with Sakurai making both games, plus they can reuse assists. I still think it's weird Kid Icarus has three characters while Donkey Kong still has two, and no assists at all.

Donkey Kong's representation is hilariously bad. Donkey Kong Country Returns outsold the entire Kid Icarus franchise combined.

Yeah. No new DK characters was a bummer. And the music is pretty bad, too: 19 songs, and half of them are different versions of Jungle Japes (okay, probably not half).

Metroid also desperately needs another character who's not Samus But Wearing Something Different. And the lack of Metroid Prime everything is awfully disappointing. At least Dark Samus is an assist, but they didn't even bring back Frigate Orpheon. And the lack music from the amazing Prime soundtracks is a travesty.

Toxi

Banned
Returns sold 8 million copies across the Wii and 3DS, it was a massive success.

Compare the number of new things DK received to the number of new things Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus or even Kirby or Metroid received. It's pretty obvious DK is being underrepresented despite its recent success.

The amount of new content the franchise received doesn't reflect its popularity. In contrast, there are two newcomers from the Kid Icarus series. One of them is a clone, but still. They should have prioritized Dixie over Palutena as a female rep, but Sakurai gonna Sakurai.

How is metroid underrepresented? its a series abut isolation and the series only has one consistently appearing character (samus). The fact that they had to asspull another version of samus just to get another metroid rep demonstrates that.

Samus just needs to be not shit. :p

leroidys

The Wars series has to be by far the most underrepresented ( 1 lame assist trophy, 1 regular trophy identical to the stupid assist trophy, no stages, not even any fucking music).

The series started on NES in 1988, and has spanned 8 systems and 12 titles. Surely that warrants at least a stage, and come the fuck on, an advance wars playable character would be amazing.

1JTT6e5.jpg

How is metroid underrepresented? its a series abut isolation and the series only has one consistently appearing character (samus). The fact that they had to asspull another version of samus just to get another metroid rep demonstrates that.

Because even if it's a series about isolation, you AREN'T by yourself - you have plenty of baddies to fight.

The Wars series has to be by far the most underrepresented ( 1 lame assist trophy, 1 regular trophy identical to the stupid assist trophy, no stages, not even any fucking music).

The series started on NES in 1988, and has spanned 8 systems and 12 titles. Surely that warrants at least a stage, and come the fuck on, an advance wars playable character would be amazing.

This is definitely the truest statement. Before Smash 4, Punch-Out!! had the worst representation. Now? Sakurai's decision to basically do -nothing- with Advance Wars of any note in Smash is a fuckin' joke.

Village

Donkey Kong deserves way more representation than it got. Dixie Kong in my opinion is long overdue as a playable character.

I actually kind of agree, I have this weird feeling sakurai isn't fond of DK. Also I think wario ware at this point warrants 1 other guy since wario in that form is so far removed from what mario even is it wouldn't feel like an extra mario character. Like DK character would. When you look at 9 volt and ashley do this look like mario characters to you? No they don't they are so unique in their designs that you could totally do that.

Also I miss wolf and Lucas.

I wanna play as Wolf and Lucas.

JazzmanZ

The amount of new content the franchise received doesn't reflect its popularity. In contrast, there are two newcomers from the Kid Icarus series. One of them is a clone, but still. They should have prioritized Dixie over Palutena as a female rep, but Sakurai gonna Sakurai.

What, Palutena was heavenly requested, Dark pit was not (at least not in Japan).

Toxi

Banned

It only has one new stage though, which is silly when the entire point of Metroid is exploring new worlds.

And yeah, I wish Samus wasn't shit in Smash 3DS.

Diddy kong with a ponytail prioritized over a unique character with a personality that represents an actual new game (uprising)

Please no.

Hatchtag

Banned

Dixie doesn't have remotely interesting moveset potential. She could be a neat semi-clone, but Sakurai doesn't seem interested in her in the slightest, and I just don't see what she could do that's different or interesting. The DK series deserves a good newcomer, but I think Dixie would be the most boring choice possible.

fhqwhgads

The problem is instead of basing him and his supporting cast and etc off of Wario Land, they chose the inferior Wario game series.

Does Wario even shoulder tackle in Smash?

Wario used to have the shoulder tackle as his side smash in Brawl, but of course it ended up getting removed in Smash 4.
Only Wario Land representation in Smash 4 is a song from Wario Land Shake It.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
DK, Wario and F-Zero could all use more representation. Kid Icarus having so much is pretty shameful (and I say this with my 2nd most played character being Palutena).

Bakkus

Donkey Kong is underrepresented. Aside from that there's no series which already has representations that I feel should have many more. I think there should be a representation from more franchises than there already is. Like:

Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western, Mike from StarTropics, Ray MK III from Custom Robo, Chibi-Robo from Chibi-Robo, Isaac from Golden Sun, Takamaru from Murasame Castle, Muddy Mole from Mole Mania and probably a bunch of others i'm forgetting at the spot.

Diddy kong with a ponytail prioritized over a unique character with a personality that represents an actual new game (uprising)

Please no.

Dixie doesn't have remotely interesting moveset potential. She could be a neat semi-clone, but Sakurai doesn't seem interested in her in the slightest, and I just don't see what she could do that's different or interesting. The DK series deserves a good newcomer, but I think Dixie would be the most boring choice possible.

They should have paired Diddy and Dixie ala Ice Climbers. Would have been cool.

Also, Sonic and Tails pairing

Neoxon

Smash 5 needs

King K Rool and Dixie for DK
Waluigi or Jimmy T for Warik
Shy Guy or Birdo for Yoshi
Fucking Ridley for Metroid
As long as Sakurai is in charge, Ridley & Waluigi won't be playable. Dixie however has a shot as DLC for this game.

The Ice Climbers were removed for a reason.

L Thammy

Oh yeah, and the music sucks. It would have been nice to hear a new Fear Factory remix instead of yet another arrangement of DK Island Swing.

Yeah, I was really disappointed by a lot of the picks, especially after how phenomenal Brawl's soundtrack was. There's only one new song for F-Zero, and it's... yet another remix of Mute City. It's not even in a different style than the others.

And a lot of the non-remixed music are already in the game in another form. The Minor Theme remix is great, but do the two other versions of the same song really add that much? Why not something from Super Punch-Out? If they're going to puff up the soundtrack by dumping in non-remixed music, you'd think they'd focus on variety.

Didn't Earthbound lose a character and now only has one stage (from Melee) in the Wii U version? I may not have unlocked all the stages yet, or am just forgetting a stage.

It also lost some of the music that it had in Brawl. Sonic did as well.

Zalman

Metroid as a franchise deserves a third character, but the problem is that there is no one that would fit. I mean that literally.

If F-Zero gets a new game before Smash 5, I could see them add another character. I feel like we're this close to getting another rep, but it's not happening until someone makes a new game.

Sponge

Banned

That was the plan at one point. Sakurai had mentioned he wanted to make Diddy and Dixie and pair at one time. That probably explains why Dixie Kong's name shows up in Brawl's code.

For Smash 6, I'd rock

Tingle
Inkling
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Ashley (also Wario with an actual, good moveset)
Ridley
Dancer lady from new FE trailer
Isabelle
King Hippo
Andy
Isaac
Chorus Kids
Lip

(I'm assuming that Ice Climbers, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Lucas return in Smash 4/5 DLC :v)

Please no.

Palutena? Unique? Her default moves include a counter, a generic recovery, a generic projectile, and a shield

She's a boring character.

Punch-Out!! doesn't have any generic enemies, so that wouldn't work.

Holograms from Punch-Out!! on Wii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfU69_up02Y

:)

Neoxon

I'm still kinda urked that we got screwed out of Rhythm Heaven representation beyond Smash Run & some trophies. Though I have a gut feeling that will be rectified via DLC.

Top Bottom