• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkantoto: DeNA and Nintendo join press conference at 5PM JST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gleethor

I'm not seeing how they get from point A to B in that scenario. You start giving people mobile games for F2P or a buck or two and expect them to jump into spending hundreds of dollars for dedicated games hardware and $20-50 for single games? It might open them up to a new audience but I'm not so sure how much they can expect that to overlap.

This is what I'm afraid of, a blood in the water type scenario. "Oh so I can play Mario whatever on my phone so why do I need a 3DS/Wii U etc". Of course they're going to make a killing on mobile, everybody knew that but the argument against it wasn't about short-term profits. Now I guess we'll see if this cannibalizes their handheld/console business at all.

Getting people more interested in the IPs I guess.

The mobile base seems fickle though. If Angry Yoshis or Mario Crush Saga are big hits, I think the pressure will be on Nintendo to give those mobile gamers more dedicated mobile games, or they will move on to something else. Expecting those people to then buy a Wii U or 3DS or whatever Nintendo's next consoles are called seems unrealistic. A repeat of what happened with the Wii in a way.

DeNA is making the games, not Nintendo. It's just how Nintendo does things. It likes to give others its IPs and direct them on how it will work rather than doing everything by itself. Nintendo is still focusing on 3DS and Wii U games.

That's hardly what we are hearing.
Leveraging the strength of Nintendo's intellectual property (IP) and game development skills in combination with DeNA's world-class expertise in mobile games, both companies will develop and operate new game apps based on Nintendo's IP, including its iconic game characters, for smart devices.

Cipherr

I'm not seeing how they get from point A to B in that scenario. You start giving people mobile games for F2P or a buck or two and expect them to jump into spending hundreds of dollars for dedicated games hardware and $20-50 for single games? It might open them up to a new audience but I'm not so sure how much they can expect that to overlap.

I dont think it ever will overlap. But they may be interested in siphoning from that phone market in a way that doesn't sap at their resources at all. Outsourcing this stuff to a company that already makes those games is a way to do that I suppose. Meanwhile they keep doing their thing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This gives an all new dimension to troll threads. Imagine

BREAKING Nintendo announces an all new F-Zero, first in ten years!!

(clicks thread)

on iPhone

Overside

Banned
As long as they only release titles like Pokemon Shuffle then it's not a big deal to me. I'm sure any mobile titles will also come to 3DS.

Iwata has already said that they would release phone software that supplemented their console games, it's not going to replace them. Like Amiibo it's easy money.

Thats what Im seeing. My money is on these games being tie ins to main games you buy on 3ds and wii u.

Playable advertisements for games on nintendo hardware.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
This translator sounds like an intern. He sounds so bored.

You don't put the "good" stuff on mobile. Cheaper games like Match 3s.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yesterday: "Nintendo going mobile will never happen. It just makes no sense"
Today: "Wut?"
Tomorrow: "This is a smart move by Nintendo. Makes perfect sense"

I think developing main line games or porting vc games is bad if Nintendo wants to sell hardware.

The valid counterarguments are that the dedicated hardware pie is getting smaller and that this is The future so better get s foot in Early.

How I think this could work now is having a truly unified account as an anchor between all compatible hardware. Different software for different hardware but all tied through a Nintendo account. Promotes loyalty and divers ifies risk.

Giever

Man. I was just about to go to bed. Well, it'll probably be not as megaton as expected, anyway. Have fun on Mr. Iwata's wild ride, everyone.

This gives an all new dimension to troll threads. Imagine

BREAKING Nintendo announces an all new F-Zero, first in ten years!!

(clicks thread)

on iPhone

jp9O7iq.gif

jeremy1456

Quality? Im not sure why I should think that. People are saying it won't be Nintendo developing the mobile games. So why expect EAD/Retro/NST quality at all? Sounds like Nintendo IP skins on the already drab ass mobile stuff thats out there.

Seemingly because they still have no interest in making phone games. Farm it out to some other company that already does that. Let them use Nintendo skins and profit? I mean I guess thats a way to get the idiots off your back clamoring for mobile, but this doesn't mean good games for mobile at all.

Read the entirety of the press release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom