• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seth Killian joins Sony Santa Monica to work on All Star Battle Royale

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The difference in your case is your interested in the game already so you will put that extra effort in. For someone else however, who isn't they arent going to read a bunch of previews just to figure out all the ins and outs of the game. Which in that case its up to the publisher to essentially sell them on the game. That's where something like the E3 stage demo comes into play (which wasn't very good at showing the game off and is probably what most people are basing there opinions on)

Googling isn't always an efficient way of finding out information on PSABR because most previews don't mention the most technical stuff which is what a hardcore fighting player wants to know most. (we didn't even know we could roll through supers until that one interview video) I just don't think Superbot presented the game well at E3 in terms of the depth; In all of the interview videos there was only like 2 where they even mentioned that you can avoid supers. This however should be remedied at Evo where the hardcore fighting players should pluck all the technical info out of them.

That, like, literally makes no sense to me. How can i become interested in something if I don't invest a bit of time to learn what it is?

Here's how it usually breaks down for me:

1) PBR is announced.
2) I like crossover fighters in the vein of SSB.
3) I look up information on PBR.
4) The end.

If I have no interest in, at the very least, the core concept of the product, I won't go further than that initial lookup, although I may read a few user/viewer impressions.

If you have no interest in a game like PBR or SSB, no amount of PR is going to really change your mind.

It's clear that there are a number of people in this thread and the discussion thread that have no interest in PBR or SSB, which just makes me wonder why they bother with the respective threads at all. If with they are interested, well, it's not that hard to find some basic core infomation, and even some impressions from fellow gaffers such as myself who have actually played the game.

EDIT - There's also only so much a 3-6 minute E3 stage presentation can cover as far as game depth goes. You even said yourself that further interviews with Superbot mentioned things like rolling out of supers, super ancelling, etc. Isn't that the developer informing interested parties about the features in their game? They've also said that more info is coming leading up until release.

In my iopinion, if the current information hasn't grabbed people, i doubt a few more feature announcements and character reveals will change their minds.

Curious to know what happened to the former lead designer.

S.Kill is not the lead game designer of superbot is he? he's employed by Sony Santa Monica, and his job is to help things out in their external development, so titles like Unfinished Swan, Papo&Yo, Sony AllStars will probably all got some input from him. it's just right now, his focus will be on Battle Royale since he have fighting game background.

SSReborn

That, like, literally makes no sense to me. How can i become interested in something if I don't invest a bit of time to learn what it is?

Here's how it usually breaks down for me:

1) PBR is announced.
3) I look up information on PBR.
4) The end.

If I have no interest in, at the very least, the core concept of the product, I won't go further than that initial lookup, although I may read a few user/viewer impressions.

If you have no interest in a game like PBR or SSB, no amount of PR is going to really change your mind.

It's clear that there are a number of people in this thread and the discussion thread thathave no interest in PBR or SSB, which just makes me wonder why they bother with the respective threads at all. If with they are interested, well, it's not that hard to find some basic core infomation, and even some impressions from fellow gaffers such as myself who have actually played the game.

EDIT - There's also only so much a 3-6 minute E3 stage presentation can cover as far as game depth goes. You even said yourself that further interviews with Superbot mentioned things like rolling out of supers, super ancelling, etc. Isn't that the developer informing interested parties about the features in their game? They've also said that more info is coming leading up until release.

In my iopinion, if the current information hasn't grabbed people, i doubt a few more feature announcements and character reveals will change their minds.

I guess I phrased it wrong when I said not interesed I meant people who had interest in the genre (brawler, fighter) but not the game itself or someone who had lost interest in the game.

Here is your same breakdown but through the eyes of someone else
1) PBR is announced.
3) I look up information on PBR (Go on popular gaming site to read preview)
4) You can only kill by Supers = No Depth, Garbage, Etc. (Automatic write off and at this point they tune out from the game)

Also I said 1 or 2 interviews mention that and they are literally buried compared to countless other previews and thats the problem. They know that thats the main thing people are scepticle about they should explain exactly how it works because then you get people writing previews about the game leaving important things like that out. Just think about how many people were scepticle before we found out about dodging supers and how it remedied some of there worries. If know one has access to this kind of information its obvious people are gonna draw there conclusions about the game based upon what they do know

Lastly this thread isn't neccesarily only about PBR so you can't really complain about people being in here without any interest for PBR considering this thread is more about the future endevours of Seth Killian then PBR

Choc

Banned
shouldn't it be a concern that this game is out in approximately 3-4 months and they only just now are hiring a lead designer (or replacing the lead anyway)

really?

shouldn't it be a concern that this game is out in approximately 3-4 months and they only just now are hiring a lead designer (or replacing the lead anyway)

really?

pretty sure he's not the lead game designer of battle royale, he's not even part of superbot... at least that's what I understand from his psblog post

really?

No hes not a lead at Super Bot entertainment. Hes a lead designer at Sony Santa Monica focusing on external development. This is things like Unfinished Swan, Journey, and PS All-Stars, and some unannounced titles. Right now hes mainly assisting PS All Stars since its a big title near completion, but even still hes not focusing 100% just on PS All Stars.

Choc

Banned
oh right

misinformation in the media again

cool, i get it now. So really the third party relations guy of sony santa monica but tagged lead designer

cool

kr2t0s

really?

Your reading comprehension is terrible.

Seth did not take a job at Super Bot; he took a job at Sony.

His role as lead designer at Sony Santa Monica Studio's external development group will extend to more than fighting games, however. In addition to leading development on the God of War series, Sony's Santa Monica Studio also works with smaller teams like thatgamecompany, Eat Sleep Play, and Q-Games to bring their titles to PlayStation systems.

Sounds like to me he will be working on multiple projects.

Ploid 3.0

I can't believe the game is this boring/broken. 0.o

I dodged a huge bullet on this game. I ended up not getting it because I was holding out hope that the dlc characters would be on the PC version or that a cheaper Super version would release in the Fall. Now I'm not even interested in watching it.

oh right

misinformation in the media again

cool, i get it now. So really the third party relations guy of sony santa monica but tagged lead designer

cool

I wouldnt say that, he has a designing role now that just affect multiple projects at Sony Santa Monica.

AAK

Congratulations to Seth.

But I'll still only be interested in PlayStation Battle Opera if it was 3D.

God of War ascension multiplayer is basically what I was expecting this game to be but with a camera that accommodates local mp. I.e. power stone. But alas imo they took the easy way out for core fundamentals but settle for extreme polish. Either way hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Boss Man

Congratulations to Seth.

But I'll still only be interested in PlayStation Battle Opera if it was 3D.

God of War ascension multiplayer is basically what I was expecting this game to be but with a camera that accommodates local mp. I.e. power stone. But alas imo they took the easy way out for core fundamentals but settle for extreme polish. Either way hope for the best prepare for the worst.
I want Seth to get all up in that God of War: Ascension multiplayer. It's looking so damn good.

I'm still on the fence with PBR as well. Will have to see something more from it (this news is definitely a step) or get awesome reviews for me to pay $60.

He confirmed he wont have any involvement with GoW: A, as he will only being dealing with external projects. GoW is developed by there internal team. He would of helped on Twisted Metal and Starhawk if he was there at that time.
:(

Oh well, it's still looking great.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Whats so wrong with the gameplay in this game??? I dont understand all the hate. I understand the DLC on disc fiasco, but whats so wrong with the core game? It looks great.

Online without sound, freeze bug, DLC gems that make you more powerful, unbalance gem (auto block lol), infinity.... that was just the first week of release, i stop following it afterward.

I want Seth to get all up in that God of War: Ascension multiplayer. It's looking so damn good.

I'm still on the fence with PBR as well. Will have to see something more from it or get awesome reviews for me to pay $60.

He confirmed he wont have any involvement with GoW: A, as he will only being dealing with external projects. GoW is developed by there internal team. He would of helped on Twisted Metal and Starhawk if he was there at that time.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sony Santa Monica for All Stars? Guh? I thought that was being done by Superbot?

Margalis

Banned
He is "lead game designer" of the entire external studio group, which I assume means he mostly gives high-level input rather than diving super deep into a specific game the way a lead designer normally would.

Sounds similar to Derek Daniels, another FGC guy, who is something like "lead combat designer" for all of Activision.

As far as fighting game pros working on a fighting game - it will be interesting. Being good at fighting games or knowledgeable about them doesn't directly translate into being good at making them. I mean, off the top of my head, here are the games that well known US fighting game players have worked on:

The old X-Men fighting game. (Forget the name)
ST: HD Remix
Skullgirls
Fight for Life (lol)

To me none of the above games are particularly good or any better than their competitors. HD Remix is not the best SF2 version (and suffers from game-breaking balance problems!), Skullgirls is not better than Marvel or Tatsunoko. It's kind of like how Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas are great basketball players but terrible coaches and executives.

Not saying these guys are doomed to fail, but I'm very curious how it will turn out. Putting a bunch of fighting game guys on a fighting game sounds like a slam dunk but it's a little more complicated than that.

Jawmuncher

This is unexpected news, but at the same time I don't see it affecting much.
Though I won't mind if im wrong in the fact.
It would be nice to see this game be both a competitive romp (Like everyone wants with SSBB) and to make it suitable for more casual party fair.

Valnen

I find it interesting that people can only complain about a spinoff game as a way of saying Capcom somehow doesn't make good fighting games. AE 2012 is great.

I saw what they showed and it looked bad. So bad that I didn't bother looking any anything else for the game. I usually follow a lot of game stuff I'm interested in.
I haven't found any write up of game mechanics for it yet. If you find one please let me know. I'm interested in it.
Played it at E3. Pretty much need supers to win. Tried the crossplay with Vita. Not intuitive. If no one knows supers. The match can end in a stalemate, provided no one falls off the stage.
Hoping they'll have a 2v2 or tag mode. That would be fun.
Ironically played against friends who tested the game. In fact, they urge and nag me to play it. =/

Loudninja

Played it at E3. Pretty much need supers to win. Tried the crossplay with Vita. Not intuitive. If no one knows supers. The match can end in a stalemate, provided no one falls off the stage.
Hoping they'll have a 2v2 or tag mode. That would be fun.
Ironically played against friends who tested the game. In fact, they urge and nag me to play it. =/
This is all we know
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gives players access to a wide variety of PlayStation characters and ties in the excitement of a four player, full screen brawler. Players can fight in a variety of configurations, including versus matches for four, team battles, special practice modes, and team up with friends to take on players online. Online battles will deliver a new set of challenges, including Tournament mode, Special Event Battle, and Custom Matches. In Tournament, players are matched online to gain experience and special awards. Special Event Battles allow SuperBot to set match parameters daily, and players earn experience points towards an overall leaderboard based on performance. Players can also arrange customized matches with their own rules.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471923

They did not go into details yet.

The game has a story mode as well, Ken Levine even wrote the story for Big Daddy in the game.

Loudninja

Kotaku: Does the fact that you're going to be on External Development mean that you won't be giving the All-Stars team the benefit of your fighting game wisdom?

Happy to say it's just the opposite. SuperBot is an external studio working exclusively with Sony, so they're exactly the kind of team I will be working with, and PlayStation All-Stars is one of my first few projects (and All-Stars will be the first to release). The SuperBot team was created from the ground up to make this game, and they're thick with fighting game experts, including many friends I've known (or even played against competitively) for years. The overall level of combat knowledge around Santa Monica Studios was a huge draw for me—between teams like SuperBot, the God of War guys, and more, the level of fighting expertise is just insanely high, so I feel right at home.
http://kotaku.com/5922868/fighting-games-expert-joins-sony-to-dragon+punch-ps3-games-into-shape

alstein

The old X-Men fighting game. (Forget the name)
ST: HD Remix
Skullgirls
Fight for Life (lol)

To me none of the above games are particularly good or any better than their competitors. HD Remix is not the best SF2 version (and suffers from game-breaking balance problems!), Skullgirls is not better than Marvel or Tatsunoko. It's kind of like how Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas are great basketball players but terrible coaches and executives.

Rise of the Imperfects and Fight for life were bad. So was Anarchy in the Nippon (old 90s Japanese fighter made by VF players)

Skullgirls has a few problems, but what new Ip fighter doesn't? Skullgirls patch should fix much of it, though it's probably coming too late for the game to get competitive play, especially once Persona comes out. It's the most undeserving victim of today's hypercompetitive market for fighters.

As for HDR, I think that game got a bum rap due to ST vets being salty about holding L's from newer players, on top of some dumb decisions by Capcom/Backbone. It's better balanced than ST.

You also forgot Weaponlord- which was critically acclaimed. That game was made by a couple of FGC vets.

Would SC5 count, Daishi designed the gameplay. That game is a mixed bag to me, gameplay-wise it's a strong game, but not what I wanted out of a SC game.

The record of FGC folks making good/bad fighters is mixed, but not all bad.

Globox_82

Banned
I bet he was hired to help Stig and that team to, work on that New Ip. Ssm was looking for combat designer if i remeber correctly.

When it comes to all star, they mentioed in every freaking intervkew that u could skip supras. Even in d first one on gttv

Takao

Banned
I bet he was hired to help Stig and that team to, work on that New Ip. Ssm was looking for combat designer if i remeber correctly.

When it comes to all star, they mentioed in every freaking intervkew that u could skip supras. Even in d first one on gttv

eMXB2.jpg

Gran Turismo inclusion in the game?

RIP Nissan Skyline

:p

I-hate-u

Seth Kellian works with external groups that collaborate with Santa Monica.I believe God of war and Stig's game are in-house developed.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I was initially moderately skeptical about this game. I was excited by the prospect of a crossover brawler in the vein of Smash Bros, but I was worried about the execution.

Then I played the game at E3, and all of those concerns vanished.

I'm sure Seth will make a great addition to the team judging by what many people that seem to know what he's about have said.

For me, it makes little difference to my thoughts on the game. It's a lot of fun. I didn't get a shit ton of time with it, but I could tell that it wasn't just a simple button masher, but it certainly can be enjoyed by people that don't want to dive too deep into the game, but there are also characters in the game that look to require some skill, have some depth in their move set (like Sly Cooper).

It's going to be fun finding one that fits your play style. I'm more of an offensive fighter, so I rarely, if ever, used blocks and dodges. I hardly threw, but I was playing as Kratos, who seems more direct anyway.

The K.O. for supers didn't really bother me at all, because they still serve the same purpose as a high percentage in SSB: it will K.O. your opponent.

In SSB, it was like:

Percentage Start: 0% >damage opponent> % up >damage opponent>%high > damage opponent > K.O.

In PBR, it's like:

Super Meter Start: Empty Bar >damage opponent > Bar fills > damage opponent > Super Ready (indicated by glowing outline around your character) > execute Super > K.O.

In my mind, the principal is still the same. The Super Meter is basically your opponents HP. You know that once that meter is ready, your opponent is going down, just like you know that once your opponents percentage is high in SSB, they are going down.

There is still strategy in the way PBR is set up. You are constantly observing the super meters of your opponents as much as your own. You are constantly looking for the best strategy to set up your opponent for a K.O, while avoiding be K.O'd yourself. When you see that glow surrounding your opponent, you start to feel that tension. At any moment, they could execute their super. When you see that they have a level 2 or 3, the tension gets really high, since you know there is a great chance of getting K.O'd/less of a chance at dodging/avoiding the super successfully.

Even with my short time with it, I could see how you could play tactically, defensively, and offensively. But that was only a short time. About three or four 3 minute matches.

It's simple enough to grasp for people that just want to beat the snot out of each other with their favorite characters. But to assume it has no depth from a few videos and the developers keeping the specifics tight to their chest for the time being seems really premature.

There are still a few events coming where Superbot is scheduled to talk more in depth about the game.

I've stated numerous times that I had a ball with it, so at this point, I'm just looking forward to seeing what the new character reveals are. The 8 revealed so far already have me excited (a fan of them all), so even if the remaining reveals aren't exactly lighting me on fire (which I find hard to believe, knowing that Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and Cole MacGrath are no brainer inclusions), I know that I'll at least like 8 of them.

So EVO 2012 is this weekend? I'll definitely keep my eyes on this to see the new reveals.

Top Bottom