• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Severed (PS Vita/PSN) |OT| Swiping your way to victory limb by limb

Joni

Yep, that was it. Thanks. I'm surprised I never accidentally hit it when I was aimlessly swiping for minutes.
I had the same problem. I only hit it by really scanning the room.

1. Is the citadel boss the end? I don't want to end the game and miss secrets/trophies.
If you completely finish the game, your last save will be in the house before the boss fight. So you can always go back to everything.

maouvin

Just got the platinum. Almost 6h to get there. Loved it (despite getting pissed on some fights lol), and it's a pity that there isn't anything at all to do after finishing it.

Pehesse

Just bought it and gonna give it a good blast tonight. My Vita backlog is immense but I'll always make room for games with such unique style/gameplay.

I never played Guacamelee for more than an hour but I did appreciate Drinkbox's art direction, which was among the best I've seem on the Vita, so this is sure to impress.

There was a comparison earlier in the thread with Trauma Center, which is the closest I can think of as well - on the surface, it looks like a dungeon crawler, and there are small stat building elements, but it's really coating for the battle system, which requires rhythmic precision and a level of multitasking using touch input I can't really recall anywhere else!

Either way, I hope you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was :-D

Wozman23

Just got the Platinum.

After struggling with the controls the first night, I started holding the Vita in my left hand (I'm a righty), I used the action buttons to navigate, and switched between enemies by tapping their icons during battle. Seemed much better than shuffling hands to navigate with the d-pad.

Fliesen

Just got the Platinum.

After struggling with the controls the first night, I started holding the Vita in my left hand (I'm a righty), I used the action buttons to navigate, and switched between enemies by tapping their icons during battle. Seemed much better than shuffling hands to navigate with the d-pad.

wait, what?
you hold it in your left hand and still use the buttons on the right to navigate, and (i presume) the right index finger to swipe?

where would you be "shuffling" hands if you just used the dpad while holding it with the left hand?
DbV49LK.jpg

btw: i'm hesitant to upgrade my swipe strength, because i feel like it'd make me kill enemies before entering focus mode. Does swipe strength ALSO increase the amount of focus i get?

Pehesse

btw: i'm hesitant to upgrade my swipe strength, because i feel like it'd make me kill enemies before entering focus mode. Does swipe strength ALSO increase the amount of focus i get?

I'm not positive, as I had the same thought process, but I found upgrading damage didn't negatively affect focus gain. You gain most of it through combo anyway (succession slashes on a single target without switching targets), and even at max damage on low level enemies, I found the absurd amount of damage to fill the focus bar VERY quickly, leading me to believe focus increase is somehow tied to damage dealt somewhere.

You should be fine having some strength upgrades, in fact I'd recommend them to save yourself trouble in several midgame battles which are quite easy if you're above a certain damage threshold but could get troublesome if you need to handle so many parallel enemies longer than you have to. I prioritized longer slashes for damage, but YMMV.

What's really important IMHO is the focus length upgrades: they made a significant difference in my experience, and I went from being barely able to sever a single limb to severing all available during every battle up to the end of the game. Didn't even need to use the infinite respawning machine at the end, I was fully upgraded before the end of the Citadel already!

Roussow

God damn, the combat just keeps getting better and better. 100% turned around on touch gaming (or at least the potential it has).

Number45

wait, what?
you hold it in your left hand and still use the buttons on the right to navigate, and (i presume) the right index finger to swipe?
This is how I've been holding it as well, although I cradle it in my left so don't have access to the d-pad easily.

Fliesen

I'm not positive, as I had the same thought process, but I found upgrading damage didn't negatively affect focus gain. You gain most of it through combo anyway (succession slashes on a single target without switching targets), and even at max damage on low level enemies, I found the absurd amount of damage to fill the focus bar VERY quickly, leading me to believe focus increase is somehow tied to damage dealt somewhere.

You should be fine having some strength upgrades, in fact I'd recommend them to save yourself trouble in several midgame battles which are quite easy if you're above a certain damage threshold but could get troublesome if you need to handle so many parallel enemies longer than you have to. I prioritized longer slashes for damage, but YMMV.

What's really important IMHO is the focus length upgrades: they made a significant difference in my experience, and I went from being barely able to sever a single limb to severing all available during every battle up to the end of the game. Didn't even need to use the infinite respawning machine at the end, I was fully upgraded before the end of the Citadel already!

this. Focus duration and reduced damage taken were the first skills i maxed as well, as those maximize your income potential.

and about focus generation:
One enemy type in particular, the ones that spawn those 4 (and more after that) "apples", which you chop, after which the 3 petrified weak points become vulnerable - on those, my focus bar fills up rather close to killing the enemy.
You know, the guys where you - when in sever mode - chop off their 'kidneys'

Wozman23

wait, what?

where would you be "shuffling" hands if you just used the dpad while holding it with the left hand?

In the beginning, I'd hold the vita conventionally to navigate, but for battles I braced it by putting my left hand behind it, over the rear touch, so the the d-pad wasn't really accessible. Switching back and forth was a bit cumbersome. Then I found out through this thread that you could navigate with WASD-style with square, circle, and triangle which meant I could just always firmly grip the vita from the back and do everything with my right hand. Really smart of Drinkbox to include so many control options.

The focus duration was also the first thing I upgraded. I still missed parts somewhat often, and killed a few enemies without focus mode, but I maxed out before the end easily. None of the upgrades seemed to hinder my ability to enter focus mode.

Number45

^^ yeah, that's basically how I hold it. Works fine for me, particularly once I realised you could use the icons to switch between enemies.

Z3M0G

God damn, the combat just keeps getting better and better. 100% turned around on touch gaming (or at least the potential it has).

I can only hope that they get the success they deserve from the small Vita crowd... but even on Mobile as a premium purchase game, I couldn't imagine it finding much success. It's simply a game that people don't believe they want.

If this game would have existed 5+ years ago, mobile gaming might be much more interesting than it is today. I know that's placing a lot on its shoulders, but I firmly believe that they pulled off something really special here, and we are all lucky to be playing it.

We may never see a game like this again...

Edit: This game would really only work on Vita anyways... it needs that fine mix of touch and button inputs.

^^ yeah, that's basically how I hold it. Works fine for me, particularly once I realised you could use the icons to switch between enemies.

Wait, what?

Finished the fanart, so here! Hope some of you will find it somewhat interesting, but I just had to get it out of my system :)

That's awesome!

Only six hours to Platinum? This increases my interest, actually.

It's possible to beat the main game in less than 4 hours, as I've done it (no platinum, but you'd only need to go back for secrets and unexplored areas which would all be accessible).

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I can't stop playing/thinking about this game. Trying not to rush through it because I know it's brief but it's so gold I can't help myself.

I actually wish combat was more common because I'm excited for every battle, but I guess it's balanced around you levelling at a certain rate. The tension of juggling health bars trying to fill the focus meter never gets old.

Every developer working with touch interfaces should play this game to see how much depth can be achieved from touch controls. It's so satisfying mentally and physically.

I wasn't sure if it'd be for me, because I never have really played this type of game, but I went out on a limb and picked it up. I hope to get to it soon.

Pehesse

Don't want to clutter the thread, but serious thanks to everyone who appreciated/commented the pic! I wouldn't do a whole comic in that style, but a game... Well, just keep an eye out, is all I'm sayin' :v

This is damn good, hope you dont mind that i made it my new phone wallpaper :p Seriously, great piece of art.

That's the best thing I know of that can happen to a piece of fanart, so I'm very glad you did :-D Thanks much!

..Back to discussing the game, now :-D

Do the giblets have some different purpose I'm not yet aware of, or can I safely transmute all of them?

Transmute away! I used most of them as hands, since they cost the least, but towards the end, since I had hundreds of giblets to spare, I did some wings and kidneys to buy early most of the rage upgrades. If you haven't, there are quite a few easily accessible stores of supplies in every area you clear, if you take the time to return with your newly found powers, usually near the start - if you take the time to regularly go back, I assume it'd be possible to max out everything even during the early parts of the Citadel (assuming you sever limbs in battle regularly as well). I only found those supplies when I went back to explore before the final boss, by which time they were rather useless, don't let that happen to you!

Giblet transmutation tip;

If you don't have enough parts to buy an upgrade, but do have enough giblets to exchange for the parts you need to upgrade, the upgrade requirements will flash when viewing it in the menu.

pixelhans

Neo Member
I need help with one enemy

mountain ghost town / L1 / cloud walk section

one of the enemies is super buffed and gets 90hp back after a few seconds.. I can't get him down within the time!

Ambitious

Transmutation only, it's safe.

Don't want to clutter the thread, but serious thanks to everyone who appreciated/commented the pic! I wouldn't do a whole comic in that style, but a game... Well, just keep an eye out, is all I'm sayin' :v

That's the best thing I know of that can happen to a piece of fanart, so I'm very glad you did :-D Thanks much!

..Back to discussing the game, now :-D

Transmute away! I used most of them as hands, since they cost the least, but towards the end, since I had hundreds of giblets to spare, I did some wings and kidneys to buy early most of the rage upgrades. If you haven't, there are quite a few easily accessible stores of supplies in every area you clear, if you take the time to return with your newly found powers, usually near the start - if you take the time to regularly go back, I assume it'd be possible to max out everything even during the early parts of the Citadel (assuming you sever limbs in battle regularly as well). I only found those supplies when I went back to explore before the final boss, by which time they were rather useless, don't let that happen to you!

Giblet transmutation tip;

If you don't have enough parts to buy an upgrade, but do have enough giblets to exchange for the parts you need to upgrade, the upgrade requirements will flash when viewing it in the menu.

Awesome. Thanks.

PaulloDEC

Just finished the second area this morning; I think I'm headed to the
Citadel
now. Game continues to be awesome, and I feel like the
buff stealing
ability is going to be a game-changer.

Finished the fanart, so here! Hope some of you will find it somewhat interesting, but I just had to get it out of my system :)

This is super freakin' awesome. Great job!

LAA

Beat and platinumed the game. Was a very cool game! Only wish it was longer, but yeah happy to see an exclusive vita game designed for the vita. Can't ask for more than that.

The game also reminded me I would REALLY want infinity blade on Android.

RoKKeR

Put an hour in this morning, really liking it. Art direction is superb, game play is great, and the atmosphere is top notch. Can't wait to play more, hope it does well for Drinkbox.

Pehesse

How do you steal buffs when they have magic defense? Late game but a guy has every buff and I cannot defeat him.

I don't think you can... I think the aim of those battles is to devour other enemies buffs (if you can) to be able to withstand the fully buffed ones. Or just tough it out! No reason you should be the only one to power up :v

akashhhhh

Such a great game that is being criminally slept on. All the people who complain about the lack of interesting art direction and the lack of Vita-centric titles need to get on this one.

Billfisto

Yeah, need help with this too. Anyone?

I figured it out!
Just keep pulling the lever and fighting the enemies and the door eventually opens.

They probably should have included some indication you were actually progressing towards something. Oh well, platinumed! Loved the game, bring on the next!

Yeah, need help with this too. Anyone?

The lower right room of the lower floor of the house? It's only open at the end of the game (right before the last boss) and I believe you need to activate the levers from the area with the three
stargate-like portals that need gems to open
- after going through the one and
using blink to swap "worlds."

I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think that's it.

robotnik

I figured it out!
Just keep pulling the lever and fighting the enemies and the door eventually opens.

They probably should have included some indication you were actually progressing towards something. Oh well, platinumed! Loved the game, bring on the next!
Thank you, that was indeed the case. And I tried different lever combinations :\

I figured it out!

Thank you, that was indeed the case. And I tried different lever combinations :\

Ahaha. You meant the perpetual fight machine's goodies door. I was a little lost by your description, likely due to some fatigue on my part. =P

Top Bottom