• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Severed (PS Vita/PSN) |OT| Swiping your way to victory limb by limb

Shizuka

Is there any kind of fast travel option deeper in the game or should I attempt to get 100% in every dungeon as I go?

Is there any kind of fast travel option deeper in the game or should I attempt to get 100% in every dungeon as I go?

You should just get what you feel is easily accessible and come back later, you won't be able to 100% any of the areas until near the end of the game when you get a certain power.

Bought it and played the first 40 minutes, loving the game so far, came out of nowhere for me and I wasn't expecting a game this perfect for the Vita so late in its life!

I really hope this is selling well. At the very least, it's the first Vita game in some time where the activity feed actually shows a few friends playing it.

Shizuka

How am I supposed to defeat the first enemy wave in the clouds of Mountain Ghost Town in time? I defeat the two enemies on the side, but with all the buffs, the main one lasts too long for me.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I hate the cloud DPS races. It's funny because at the beginning of the game it's the kind of thing I enjoyed the game for not being about but by the end it sort of devolves into how fast you can swipe a touch screen. If I'm honest many of the battles near the end of the game stopped being enjoyable for me. Other than that I really enjoyed it. The art, setting, characters and story are all really great. The battle system was working for my up until the end. I just feel like there could've been other ways to add difficulty then swiping races that might've been more enjoyable.

Shizuka

Just found out what it is, it's right before Father's Memento. I just got everything else in the game, time to pull through and keep trying. It's still easier that that crazy tree sequence in Guacamelee.

Shizuka

Nevermind, just got it. I'm only missing one section in Mountain Ghost Town, can someone give me directions?

orM1YcX.jpg

Grisby

Enjoying the game. Stopped at what I think might be getting near the end. I'm close to getting
my arm back? Right after cloud power
?

I want to go back and get the secrets but I really don't want to walk all the way back out of what, I assume, is the final dungeon.

Great game. However, whoever designed those
crystal blinding caverns
, my migraine triggers thank you.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying the game. Stopped at what I think might be getting near the end. I'm close to getting
my arm back? Right after cloud power
?

I want to go back and get the secrets but I really don't want to walk all the way back out of what, I assume, is the final dungeon.

Great game. However, whoever designed those
crystal blinding caverns
, my migraine triggers thank you.

You aren't at the end yet, keep going even if you want to collect other things before finishing.
After finishing the Citadel you return to your house before the final boss and can explore from there.

Shizuka

Go to that switch by the locked green and red gates. Use the eye to change the color of the switch until it matches the locked gates.

Thank you, just reached that section and got the platinum trophy. Wow, this is the closest I've gotten to a GOTY so far, amazing game.

PaulloDEC

Jesus christ, the difficulty spike in the
third area
is straight-up unreasonable. I'd been making it through fights on the first or second try earlier, and now I'm dying up to a dozen times or more before winning.

Just got to a fight with a
bat cluster, a big-armed cyclops guy and a little blobby dude who turns into a massive crab thing
. Died probably 10 or more times now trying to beat them. I even spent the last 10 or 15 minutes killing the
big-arm guy
and holding the other two off until I was able to
steal every single buff they have
, and they still eventually kicked my arse.

Sigh.

EDIT: And then just like that, I worked it out. Once you know the right order and pattern, it becomes a breeze.

I'm sighing again, but now it's because I'm an idiot.

Grisby

This second
Memento
boss is straight up killing all the fun I've been having. Feel like I've worn out my screen and my thumb by trying to swipe so fast. Got the item from the third area and all my damage is lvl'd up.

Got take a break. Gonna hurl the vita against a wall. Harder than any boss in Dark Souls 3, christ.

Shizuka

This second
Memento
boss is straight up killing all the fun I've been having. Feel like I've worn out my screen and my thumb by trying to swipe so fast. Got the item from the third area and all my damage is lvl'd up.

Got take a break. Gonna hurl the vita against a wall. Harder than any boss in Dark Souls 3, christ.

Get everything else in the game, leave that battle for last. Google a good strategy and you're good to go.

Jimm

This second
Memento

I think that's where I'm at at the moment.
My hands hurt from trying to swipe so damn fast. I guess I'll just leave it for absolutely last and try 100% everywhere else first.
I tried taking down the 2 other enemies first and can get to the main enemy at about 1/2 health. No idea how to improve haha

WITHE1982

A big thank you to all for recommending this game to me. Finished up last night and got the platinum and I have to say it was a complete joy to play.

Drinkbox absolutely killed it, almost flawless IMO. My only slight criticism was that I wanted it to last even longer. It's easily in my top 5 vita games and already a contender for my GOTY. Superb stuff.

This second
Memento

My hands hurt from trying to swipe so damn fast. I guess I'll just leave it for absolutely last and try 100% everywhere else first.
I tried taking down the 2 other enemies first and can get to the main enemy at about 1/2 health. No idea how to improve haha

Do you have your (late game item spoiler)
severed arm back in order to activate rage mode?
If not I'd 100% recommend coming back when you do. I beat it first try after getting it.

Grisby

Get everything else in the game, leave that battle for last. Google a good strategy and you're good to go.
I did it this morning. The win felt like luck, but I'll take it.

Now on to the final deal. I've got everything.
It's hard. I focused on the
right guy first, then the biggie, and then the left guy
. Made it with no time to spare.
Do you have your (late game item spoiler)
severed arm back in order to activate rage mode?
If not I'd 100% recommend coming back when you do. I beat it first try after getting it.
I did. Was still difficult for me.

Ambitious

Try to get the Mother's Memento before that, also max every skill if you can. Then, just abuse Rage and start by eating the buffs from the right enemy.

Yeah, eating the Attack buff is the first thing I do. I've maxed every weapon upgrade, but I'm still far from maxing the other two trees. Gonna try to find this Mother's Memento first.

Shizuka

Yeah, eating the Attack buff is the first thing I do. I've maxed every weapon upgrade, but I'm still far from maxing the other two trees. Gonna try to find this Mother's Memento first.

By now, you should've been near max if you're going for 100% map and secrets completion. You'll need to max everything for a particular trophy, my suggestion is to max everything before going for that battle.

Ambitious

By now, you should've been near max if you're going for 100% map and secrets completion. You'll need to max everything for a particular trophy, my suggestion is to max everything before going for that battle.

Really? Shit. I've fully upgraded the sword, I need just three more upgrades for the Blind spell, but I haven't even started upgrading the Devour spell.
I've fully explored the Wilds and the Domain of the Crows. 92% for the Mountain Ghost Town (stuck at that battle), and 49% for the Citadel. Think I'm gonna return to the latter to collect more parts.

Number45

I actually found upgrading pretty straightforward - completed all three trees without needing the extra room that I've heard of. I haven't done all of the mementos yet, so I have no idea how much harder they'll be than what I've done thus far.

Crash331

Are you guys talking about the fight on the cloud that has the ghost thing holding a ball that turns in to a 2 headed dog thing?

The trick is to eat the attack buff and then after you beat the other 2 enemies, go after the ball guy. When he transforms, you can't miss a single block or you will run out of time.

Also, the eye enemy with the shield doesn't require a charge move to destroy his shield. I kept trying to charge there and didn't have enough time.

Ambitious

Just beat it.

Now there's only one last area in the Mountain Ghost Town I haven't visited yet, but I have no clue how to get there. It's a room on the ground floor with three doors: orange, blue and black. I'm facing the black one, which is closed, so I have to get in from elsewhere. Do I access this location from the Citadel? Don't see any other way.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wasn't planning on getting this because I really didn't like the Infinity Blade swiping combat. But I think they transcended that easily after playing about an hour. This game is a Vita showcase like none other, it's really something and it would only really work on this system. You gotta appreciate a team who goes all in on focusing on a particular platform like this.

Love the game but I feel like I'm stuck. Can't defeat the
cryptolith
and it feels like I explored everything I could. Should I try again with the boss or is there somewhere I can go to that I have missed?

Grisby

Finished this the other night. Despite that one encounter I had that was a pain, the rest of the game was fun. I'm really glad that a dev, especially one like Drinkbox, decided to make a quality product for a system that doesn't get too many original exclusives anymore.

They took a big leap with the touch only combat, but I feel like it paid off. A complaint would be that the story was on the thin side, but then again, the narrative didn't need to have long exposition cutscene.

A great game that makes the most out of being on the system. High-five to Drinkbox.

spannicus

Finished this the other night. Despite that one encounter I had that was a pain, the rest of the game was fun. I'm really glad that a dev, especially one like Drinkbox, decided to make a quality product for a system that doesn't get too many original exclusives anymore.

They took a big leap with the touch only combat, but I feel like it paid off. A complaint would be that the story was on the thin side, but then again, the narrative didn't need to have long exposition cutscene.

A great game that makes the most out of being on the system. High-five to Drinkbox.
Yeah this game is really a treat. Reminds me of when the vita first launched. Sony should show us a little more love.

Shizuka

Really? Shit. I've fully upgraded the sword, I need just three more upgrades for the Blind spell, but I haven't even started upgrading the Devour spell.
I've fully explored the Wilds and the Domain of the Crows. 92% for the Mountain Ghost Town (stuck at that battle), and 49% for the Citadel. Think I'm gonna return to the latter to collect more parts.

Have you been breaking the jars and collecting the giblets? They can turn into any possible drop in the game.

JonnyKong

I bought a second hand Vita off eBay yesterday just so I can play this game (and others I'm sure)

Just eagerly awaiting the delivery now..

PaulloDEC

Completed this tonight, at last. Took nearly seven hours all said and done, which felt about right to me. Might go back later for some areas I can now access, but truth be told I'm feeling about done with it. Great game, but quite exhausting at times.

Anyway, fantastic title that I'd happily recommend to any Vita owner. Drinkbox are a talented bunch.

FHIZ

Great game, but quite exhausting at times.

Yeah, I love it, but it needs some fast travel in a bad way. I'm looking to clear out secrets or things I missed in the first two dungeons before getting deep into the third, and the back tracking is such a pain when you have to go through like five staircases and a handful of levels just so you can go down a different path after finding one secret.

Number45

Agreed, that would be my only complaint - largely because I'm appaling at following 2D multi-layer maps - but having to work my way around the sun/moon doors to get through the Domain of the Crows while finishing up the exploring was quite frustrating. In Guacamelee it didn't bother me because getting about in that game was fun in itself, but that's not the case here.

I was expecting some tough fights given what some people have said here but I didn't really struggle with any of them. I also managed to fully upgrade all slots without needing access to the bonus room, which was nice.

Peltz

I actually clicked on this thread by accident when scrolling on my phone... but the art style got me interested.

Fate?

balohna

So good, been playing on the train and have missed my stop once and nearly missed it a few other times. Even though the gameplay is most similar to a dungeon crawler, it actually scratches a bit of a Metroid itch with the level design. Battles are fun and intense too. I am glad I'm playing this on Vita but I hope Drink Box port it to mobile just so more people can access it

Also, that fucking soundtrack. I may buy it, and I'm interested now in other stuff by the same artists.

FHIZ

Nearing the end, picking up the
father's memento
, but that fight before it.

What.

The.

Fuck?

I did an interview with the game's Concept Lead Augusto Quijano if anyone's interested in learning about some of the philosophies and personal inspirations behind the game. Such a great guy, loved every minute of talking with him! Here's the interview.

Grisby

Nearing the end, picking up the
father's memento
, but that fight before it.

What.

The.

Fuck?
Pick up
Mother's memento

However, I'd still pray. Took me a while and I about killed my vita with my mad swiping.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The concept of body horror is something you don't see done in a sophisticated way very often. Silent Hill is one I can think of. But the way they applied it to this world, where everything is tied to the theme and its aesthetic is so different than what you'd expect, is so awesome.

Deft Beck

How do I get past the section with
The eye-cloud and the multi-armed monster in the poison area?

EDIT: Never mind, got it. Had to use long slashes.

BTA

I got like 3 hours in yesterday and I'm loving it so far despite how much I suck at it. I do wish there was an option to disable the analog stick since I've accidentally brushed it a few times while frantically swiping, hah. (Actually- is it just me, or is the main/options menu weirdly barebones and bad looking? Like, the game looks amazing and yet those two menus look totally placeholder.)

I am a little confused about why death works like it does, though. With all the health pickups I expected things to be tense, and... instead dying drops you right before the fight but with full health. Maybe that changes later, and it's not like I necessarily want things to be harder, but I was surprised.

Top Bottom