• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sexaxis needs to be sixed up

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It looks so plain next to the slick PS3.
ps3nk7.jpg

we need the boomerang back
ps3_170905.jpg

boomerangdebunked.gif

and just throwing this in here for kicks
yumjc4.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A coat of gloss would be nice. I guess if you lived in PDZ's world.

I heard someone write SixAxis as "SuxAxis" before and I thought that was pretty sexed up.

mollipen

Give it the clear-type buttons and d-pad from the PSP. Put a blue LED behind the "Sony" and the button symbols so that they light up nice when in use.

Squeak

The boomerang controller was much better looking than the Sixaxis. Actually I would go so far as to say that it was beautiful.
Whether it was better to hold would only be a guess, but my guess would be, yes.
Sony should really have had more confidence, and gone with the first idea.
Maybe we can get it as an optional controller later on with rumble... you can always dream. :S

guise

Branduil said:
I've never found the Dual Shock particularly ergonomic.

Thats because it isn't. Relax your hands so they're in a neutral shape... the DS pad shape doesn't naturally fit in

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
im confused about the boomerang. was that an actual possible design? or did they make some random casing for initial display units only?

looking at the sixaxis, it seem to me that they didnt even bother trying to improve the aesthetics or comfortability of the controller.

Branduil

HowardMoon said:
Thats because it isn't. Relax your hands so they're in a neutral shape... the DS pad shape doesn't naturally fit in

I see what you did there.

It's not bad, just not as comfortable as the Gamecube or 360 pads.

It seems like they did TRY to fix the shoulder buttons, but the left analog is still in the wrong place.

guise

yeah... fundamental flaw right there. It's not even called the "dual shock" anymore so i dont see why they couldnt move the stick to the right place

karasu

I've never had any probems with the dual shock but it's form is pretty ugly next to the PS3. Some kind of funky aesthetic marriage of next gen and last gen that just doesn't work.

ShowDog

I initially hated the Dual Shock controller, but after I actually had owned the PS2 for awhile I think it's a fine controller. The only real problem with it (and it's a big one) are the unprecise and overall shitty analog sticks. As long as they fix those, it should be fine. I like the Dual Shock because you can just naturally hold your hands in a relaxed position and use the controller comfortably. Other controllers, notably the controller S on Xbox, force you to hold your hands a certain way to conform to the controller. This gets uncomfortable after extended play. I think it's because the controller S had such long handles and was so heavy. The 360 controller seems better in that regard, although I haven;t used it for an extended period of time. I'm pretty happy so far with the way the sixaxis looks to be the same as the DS2 but with better analog sticks, but it does look pretty plain next to the PS3. They should sell a glossy version for an extra $5 for all the poor fools who want to sacrifice function over form. Slippery controller FTL.

Grayman

Y2Kevbug11 said:
A coat of gloss would be nice. I guess if you lived in PDZ's world.

I heard someone write SixAxis as "SuxAxis" before and I thought that was pretty sexed up.
gotta control your blu-gay games with the suxaxis.

Grayman

Branduil said:
I see what you did there.

It's not bad, just not as comfortable as the Gamecube or 360 pads.

It seems like they did TRY to fix the shoulder buttons, but the left analog is still in the wrong place.
if they move the left analog i quit gaming.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Agreed in a way. The boomerang was cheesy, but at least it was trying for a deluxe look, while Sixaxis looks like a cheap toy.

Grayman

Branduil said:
:lol

Why?
I just really like it where it is. The symetry of the controller really works for me. Both sticks can be used in sync easily, driving games are also really nice with it down there. I can very easily work the sticks while using shoulder buttons as well.

How could it move where the dpad is? would they put a pit in the controller for it or would it stick too far out. It would be a frankenstein controller i swear!

I'm used to something after 2(and a quater! the snes controller is very similar) generations and nothing else will ever seem as right.

The DS2 fits in my hands great and i don't want to have to change ever.

ghibli99

The controller is fine... it has been since the days of GT1. Focus your energy on the games you'll be playing with that controller instead.

santouras

gamecube controller is for me the most comfortable to hold

sony should have copied GC
gcn_controller.jpg

and added in shoulder buttons like this
pelican_chameleon_ps2_3_big.jpg

I have no idea why this layout isn't more popular. Looking at that, it looks so much more comfortable then ds shoulder button layout. It feels so unnatural when you need to press all four triggers at the same time. Has anyone used that pad and can testify to how comfortable it is to use?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Thank God for the DS3! Too bad SONY didn't go back and get rid of the Spider-man font. Especially scince I think the PS3 is ugly looking. But that's another story.

Zylander

Baryn said:
The bright-eyed ones never hated the boomerang.

We got kind of drowned out by those who had a knee jerk reaction to it before they had even tried it.

Sixaxis it is, but they should have streamlined it or something, it doesn't match the PS3.

Not that I'll be thinking about these things when I'm gaming, just looks out of place in advertising.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I was actually one of the few that really wanted a black boomerang. I thought the DS2 was the best controller from last gen, too. I guess it's a pretty good design...I just wanted something a bit more than "SEX DEGREEZ OF CONTROLE!" for my next gen machines.

The boomerang with some slight revisions would have been the best option. Oh well, at least I know what I'll be getting with the SIXAXIS (of evil). The 360 pad is nice, and I'm going out on a limb here and admitting that I'm readily assuming that the Wiimote will be near perfection.

Branduil

shidoshi said:
Because there's no reason in the world it needs to be moved, and the people who keep harping on it are freaks.

Yeah, it's the people who want the PRIMARY manipulator of character movement to be in the PRIMARY position who are freaks. :lol

I agree, I think it looks too industrial next to the PS3... I mean... it works, and that's what counts, but I as an above poster would have prefered a streamlined, sort of svelted-up look to it, but oh well... maybe when they incorperate rumble back in, they'll change the look more inline with the console.

FightyF

Banned
I was a fan of the boomerang...it looked really comfortable and I was really looking forward to an evolution in the shape of the DS. The way they've changed the buttons is great...but the shape has got to go.

360 controllers on the PS3 would be the ideal situation as of now.

Grayman

Branduil said:
Yeah, it's the people who want the PRIMARY manipulator of character movement to be in the PRIMARY position who are freaks. :lol
I primarily put my hand where I can use the stick.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I must be one of the few people who've never liked the PS controller. It's too small and cramped. I liked the batarang :(

Ristamar

Grayman said:
I'm used to something after 2(and a quater! the snes controller is very similar) generations and nothing else will ever seem as right.

A shame the DS d-pad sucks ass. I loved the SNES pad.

I agree that the analog stick should be moved, though. Ergonomics FTW.

Top Bottom