• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFIV is so much more fun than SFV

Castef

Banned
Eh, I agree. I don't know on the highly competitive side, yet I consider Ultra Street Fighter IV a much better game right now.

Forward

??

That Darkstalkers collection didn't sell well. That teaser was pretty stupid because it didn't amount to shit.

People like myself wanted proof of life, not an exhumation. If I wanted to play the old games again, I'd have kept my modded PS2 and my Japanese import of the vastly superior collection Capcom released over there. And yes, that trailer WAS pretty stupid. Some might say sadistic, even.

Nah, I find SFV to be a lot better than SFIV.

Same. I prefer the balance, the animations (which matters a lot in a game like this), and the V mechanics better.

It seems they messed up the launch to keep their word to EVO, but they ended up making a much better game.
They just have to deal with more salt then usual.

Takuan

I can see why SFIV would be considered superior for people who like more options and a higher execution level.

I definitely prefer SFV's basic inputs, but additional ultras would be nice.

Bob White

As bad as SFV is as a product, and as bad as the content trickle has been, and the communication from capcom, balance, user interface, lack of single player options, AND the bullshit server problems have been, I have to say I like SFV more than 4.

Why?

I can actually fucking play it online. It might be a choppy experience 60% of the time but the other 40% is an awesome game with great ROLLBACK netcode. The online delay in SF4 killed it for me. As in, I legit stopped playing. Not "kinda" stopped playing. No, I mean I just gave it up.

Delay based netcode doesn't belong in fighting games.

But overall I think 4 is the better fighting game simply because it's x factor isn't as derp as 5's.

MrCarter

I'm in the same boat. SF4 was the game that made me question my love for the series. It was a game I had to tolerate at best, with its hideous art, stiff animations, convoluted systems, and over-reliance on links and setups.It's something I put up with because it was the newest and the one everyone gravitated towards, but I am so happy to leave it behind. SF4 was just a very rigid, dull experience throughout and took some characters I had lots of fun with before (like Akuma and Ibuki) and turned made them into something that was utterly bland.

SF5 is rough, but from the start it was more immediately fun than SF4 had been to me in the 7 years I put into it. I also vastly prefer it stylistically as it's the first time a polygonal Street Fighter has really visually come together imo. It also has some great music, which I found almost universally lacking in 4.

This was me. I felt like I only played SFIV as it was current at the time not because I actually enjoyed it. I still remember being so excited at the seeing the first gameplay and visuals reveal but then we got...yeah, no comment. With SFV I feel like they are back on the right track, they just need to tweak it a bit further.

Csr

SFV has some of the most boring characters to watch ever like necalli. Comebacks are in almost every match so they are a lot less exciting to watch, combos are a lot easier overall so no one is hyped over them. There are a lot less options for most characters and new technology being discovered doesn't happen often so things have gotten stale quicker.
Game is more random than before so it is harder to appreciate decision making.

I think because of the lower skill ceiling the more time you put into sfv and the more knowledge you have about fgs the less likely it is you are going to prefer it over sfiv but there are ofcource going to be exceptions (like Tokido and other pros who like sfv) and it also depends on which character you use. That doesn't mean that everyone who likes sfv is a scrub just that lowering the skill ceiling means that your time spent improving is not going to be as fruitful as in other games and people are more likely to not like this.

ejabx

Neo Member
SF4 gameplay is fun to watch, but the mechanics are loose and frustrating. I was used to SF3, which had tighter gameplay, and so going to SF4, I felt like I had to adapt to the strange hitboxes, wonky animation and overall loose gameplay.

And this is from someone who LOVED SF4 when it first came out, but it didn't age well.

SF5 went back to SF roots and is a much better fighting game: animation, hitboxes, inputs - everything has been finely tuned. It just lacks memorable characters and a freaking story mode.

SF3 is still the GOAT of fighters, btw. Even 20 years later, this game has something new to teach me. The parry mechanic (and various options it offers) is short of revolutionary. It requires strict execution and dedication - something people were intimidated by, and so, SF4 was born.

Neoxon

SF4 gameplay is fun to watch, but the mechanics are loose and frustrating. I was used to SF3, which had tighter gameplay, and so going to SF4, I felt like I had to adapt to the strange hitboxes, wonky animation and overall loose gameplay.

And this is from someone who LOVED SF4 when it first came out, but it didn't age well.

SF5 went back to SF roots and is a much better fighting game: animation, hitboxes, inputs - everything has been finely tuned. It just lacks memorable characters and a freaking story mode.

SF3 is still the GOAT of fighters, btw. Even 20 years later, this game has something new to teach me. The parry mechanic (and various options it offers) is short of revolutionary. It requires strict execution and dedication - something people were intimidated by, and so, SF4 was born.
You mean memorable newcomers or characters overall? And there's been a story mode in the game for a year now.

Neoxon

The core gameplay of SFV is better than IV for sure. It just needs more variety.
Agreed. I wouldn't go as far as to, say, remove the input buffer like some outside of GAF suggested. But buffing V-Reversals & adding more defensive options overall would go a long way.

I think all SFV really needs to compete with IV is reduced input lag and more fan-favorite characters in its roster. Both of these things are fixable.

I think SFV's art is way better than IV.

When it works right, SFV's netcode seems to be better (rollback style vs. SFIV's inconsistent input delay). Online infrastructure still leaves a bit to be desired though.

I think SFV's added input buffer to loosen link timing was smart and doesn't impact the game much at a high level. I have friends who hated IV because they could never do combos but like SFV because, even if they drop them sometimes, the BnB combos for most characters feel approachable. SFV has definitely held more interest in my friend group than SFIV.

As an experienced player, I think I like SFIV better still, but it's tight. I think SFV has the potential to be the better game in the end.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
SFV sucks to watch.

What I wouldn't give for the Street Fighter community to be like Melee players and just play the game they prefer to play instead of the one that Capcom tells them to play. At least then I wouldn't be bored out of my mind whenever I watch a stream of it.

Anyone in the FGC serious about competing is gonna play the newer game regardless if they like it or not. Smash is the exception.

ejabx

Neo Member
You mean memorable newcomers or characters overall. And there's been a story mode in the game for a year now.

My fault, I meant arcade mode. Granted, it's a minor feature, but it's exclusion makes it seem like SF5 is purely for competitive fighting. And the existing story mode is a bad clone of MK/Injustice....

vulva

You do realise you cannot mash forward to parry... It actually requires timing. You really didn't play the game.

With that outta the way. I'm an enigma who can play 3S fine but not SF4 or 5, I straight up get worse at playing when things are slowed down. I've never had fun with 4 or 5, but if I have to say, 4 is better than 5 but only ever so slightly.

I agree with this statement.
I didn't say to mash, I said to tap once before inputting a special or a poke to parry before putting any offense forward. Don't tell me I didn't play the game.

MrCarter

Lmao at sf4 having better art direction and animation. I'm crying, y'all really buggin. Sf4 is trash bag tier. 5 is better and only gonna get better.

And no that stiff ass, ugly game isn't better to watch either.

SFIV has some of the worst art direction and animation in the entire series so to say that it's better than SFV is very ignorant. I mean just take a look at Chun in SFV, I feel like they made her (regardless of gameplay) the best version in this game.

tenor.gif

SFIV has some of the worst art direction and animation in the entire series so to say that it's better than SFV is very ignorant. I mean just take a look at Chun in SFV, I feel like they made her (regardless of gameplay) the best version in this game.

tenor.gif
Naw, that alpha build Chun-Li is inferior to SFIV's early art direction for Chun-Li:

chunlit3sro.jpg

Everyone looked so off in SFIV, in-game or otherwise, even for launch day standards. What a ghastly aesthetic.

Malice215

SFV sucks to watch.

What I wouldn't give for the Street Fighter community to be like Melee players and just play the game they prefer to play instead of the one that Capcom tells them to play. At least then I wouldn't be bored out of my mind whenever I watch a stream of it.

There's still people who play Super Turbo and 3rd Strike on the regular. I get bored out of my mind watching Melee since the majority of people just pick Fox.

I respect everyone's opinion on which of the two SF they like better but to say SFV is more fun to watch than SF4 is just... It's just... Jesus man how can you even say that. Every SF show has had a decrease in views on YouTube. The crowd don't even get excited as often as they used to at tourneys. It's a lethargic game to watch no matter how fun the game is to play.

SFV was killing it in popularity not that long ago. Now it no longer holds the same appeal because of the gameplay changes and with games like Tekken 7 being more exciting to watch.

I hated SFIV and only played it because everybody else was playing it and it was the most popular SF at the time. But looking back and having played it again after SFV, I never thought I'd feel having more fun playing SFIV than SFV lol.

stn

As much as I think SFV plays better overall than SFIV, I do miss the IV roster and the play style variety. Granted, I DO NOT miss the focus attack or the constant reversal mashing. In the end, I probably like them about equally.

If anyone ever wants to play IV or V on PS4, my PSN is stnhdr. :)

It's tough to say. Something about SFIV on PS4 (looks like high PC settings) looks pretty, and while SFV is no slouch, I think it's missing the pop that IV had IMO. I am actually playing both games as we speak on the PS4 (on my 1920x1200 display but at 1080p), but SFIV looks better to me personally.

This is off-topic but I also think that UMVC3 looks way better than MVCI. I just prefer the comic book aesthetic over the MCU look.

JTCx

Disagree.

Don't miss SF4 at all. Hated focus attacks and ultras. It also probably has the most annoying reversal system implemented in a fighting game.

jett

D-Member
I prefer V-trigger/V-skill over FADC as well, and the execution leniency introduced in SFV is welcome, but everything else including art direction, net code, animation, and the roster is superior in SF4. SF4 is one of the greatest games of the previous gen and I think the only fighting game that beats it out in terms of gameplay for me is VF5:FS.

Prefering SF4's character designs and animation of all things is beyond comprehension.

MboFWTC.gif

xhjBwUM.gif

pPRADwf.gif

SFV is by miles the best animated polygonal fighter ever made.

I just started playing Ultra on PS Now for shits and giggles, and I can't believe how well this game aged. It still feels great to play and I find the gameplay of SFIV way more satisfying than SFV's. It's more about the mechanics/combat than the content, for sure.

Anyone else feel a little nostalgic for SFIV after playing SFV?
Still waiting for an arcade mode to SF V

blackadde

SFV killed my passion for the series. Straight up. And I'm someone who put probably a combined 5000 hours into Street Fighter over the years - more if you include all the hours spent helping run brackets, traveling to tournaments, or watching streams. At one point I owned like 12 sticks including my Naomi cab.

I wrote a huge guidebook for SFIV (The Rindoukan Bible) and was going to write a SFV guide with Infil of KI Guide fame (we got quite far down the design doc with pages and content) until we both realized we really disliked the game and stopped.

My entire local community gave up on SFV around Evo last year. Now my training partner and I just play 3S, SF4 Edition Select and (low tier) CvS2 these days. Im someone who plays basically any 2D fighter that comes my way - Marvel, GG, etc.

Three factors did it:

1. The total lack of care for the game or community from Capcom (CPT money doesn't matter to me, I just want the ingame experience to good for all of us).

2. Conflicting priorities for the game design (it's for everyone, but its also super mechanical and frame knowledge heavy, plus no single player modes worth a damn, and no QoL advancements for like 2 years). If it's for casual fans, where the hell is the personality? Even CvS, a mashup low budget game from 2001, has more of an identity and charm to its character interactions and UI. Probably because it was an actual arcade game.

3. It's not fun (input buffer, lack of personality in play, offers none of the space control nuance of ST/SFIV or multi dimensional skill ceiling of games like Zero3/3S)

So, yeah. Even the most die-hard SFIV haters in my scene agree that SFV overall is just less fun to play and watch. Oh well. I'm frustrated that there is a sense that *because* SFV is so barebones, the gamplay *must* be good, which is kind of a cognitive bias you often see. But I also know that it's not an objective issue at all. I'm glad other people are getting into the series with it, at least.

Lulubop

It's tough to say. Something about SFIV on PS4 (looks like high PC settings) looks pretty, and while SFV is no slouch, I think it's missing the pop that IV had IMO. I am actually playing both games as we speak on the PS4 (on my 1920x1200 display but at 1080p), but SFIV looks better to me personally.

This is off-topic but I also think that UMVC3 looks way better than MVCI. I just prefer the comic book aesthetic over the MCU look.

Sf4 has no pop, in addition to it being ugly, it's also visually dull.

VTrigger activations alone have more pop than anything in 4.

mbpm1

I wrote a huge guidebook for SFIV (The Rindoukan Bible) and was going to write a SFV guide with Infil of KI Guide fame (we got quite far down the design doc with pages and content) until we both realized we really disliked the game and stopped.
Wow, you wrote the Makoto bible?

That shit was amazing even though I only played makoto for a week. But still

sephi22

I recently got back into SF4 with USF4 PS4, challenging myself to do the platinum trophy, as it was my second ever platinum trophy.

I was surprised by the amount of costumes, colors, titles, icons, etc the game just throws at you. I love these little customization bits and bobs in games and even though I played SF4 for hundreds of hours back in the day, I'm still spotting costumes that I've never seen before.

Also the greatest roster of any SF ever. Man, that roster has someone for everyone. I started with Balrog in vanilla, then after I found out Guy was being added in Super, and considering he was my main when I played Alpha 3 casually, I started playing Fuerte in preparation for Guy thinking both are run characters. I never could move on to Guy since Fuerte was so fun to play and troll with.

Great soundtrack too. I just wished the final stages added weren't just SFxT ripoffs. Those stages don't mesh with the aesthetic as the original stages do, especially the Jurassic Era research facility and cosmic elevator. They seem like modded in stages.

The Ultra cast of Elena, Rolento, Hugo and Poison fit really, really well (of course besides Decapre).

Village

2. Conflicting priorities for the game design (it's for everyone, but its also super mechanical and frame knowledge heavy, plus no single player modes worth a damn, and no QoL advancements for like 2 years). If it's for casual fans, where the hell is the personality? Even CvS, a mashup low budget game from 2001, has more of an identity and charm to its character interactions and UI. Probably because it was an actual arcade game.

t.

As for Ui , that's preference. For intros, if you are gonna pull that, you are going to have to pull that for every fighting game, that's out now besides like MK. Because for most of them, everyone does their own intro and don't actually interact, besides very specific situations.

blackadde

As for Ui , that's preference. For intros, if you are gonna pull that, you are going to have to pull that for every fighting game, that's out now besides like MK. Because for most of them, everyone does their own intro and don't actually interact, besides very specific situations.

The SFV UI (aesthetic preferences aside) is actually a total usability disaster. Like, NOTHING is where it should be. Adding friends, seeing if they're online, rematching, surfacing useful data, presenting news about tournaments and events, differentiating between 1P/2P portraits ...

I play a lot of fighting games, but I'm not a professional, so take my gameplay concerns with a grain of salt. I *am* a professional graphic designer, however, and I feel pretty confident that even a junior with a week of iteration could identify and fix like 90% of these problems.

As for the interactions, you're right. Animation is super expensive these days. But you just need a little love, man. Ryu and Ken touching gloves, Akuma and Ryu staring each other down, Guile being surprised by Charlie ... just reuse gameplay animation like they did in the old days. It goes a long, long way to making it seem like you're playing an actual character, and not a "function".

I remember when SF4 got a lot of criticism when it first came out, like complains about FADC etc. Now people are asking for those to be brought back.

The FGC is pretty flip-floppy when it comes to what they want even by gaming community standards as a whole.

I would like to add:
I stuck with Bison in SFV because I never got tired of just watching his animations. (and also because it didn't matter at my level of play lol)

For all the shit SFV (rightfully) gets, the animations are amazing, and S2 Bison is probably my favourite iteration of the character. Just a shame about the balance changes for most of the other characters.

Top Bottom