• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV - Abigail Reveal Trailer

MechaX

Cackling at this. Street Fighter V's soundtrack can be amazing at times. This time, holy shit.

Edit: Fits the character well though. Has that real "You gotta see this, you won't believe it" vibe to it.

I was satisfied for about 12 seconds, and then when the vocals came in, I got violent flashbacks to all the shitty garage grunge bands I had to endure in my early 20s.

At this point I would be OK if Capcom just decided to completely lift MUST DIE from BlazBlue and put it over here for his theme.

LakeEarth

Ed will be pretty solid if/when Capcom does something about his reach. That's really holding him back right now. Justin is already really good with him, but that one aspect is really crippling to his potential.
Just one special needs to be able to connect from a max distance d.mk Just one.

Rather than an all Final Fight season, i'd prefer if they did a guest season. I don't see how Capcom can ignore that hype that's created for games that announce characters from different franchises. We saw that yesterday with Geese and BlazBlue crosstag. They should do an entire season built around that idea and don't limit it to their own games or characters that are from fighting games.
Please no.

I cringe at the thought of just one guest in SF. We don't need any chumps plaguing my pure SF
unless it's Terry, then go right ahead

mujun

Please no.

I cringe at the thought of just one guest in SF. We don't need any chumps plaguing my pure SF

I agree.

For the love of God please bring back some characters from previous games that haven't seen any love in recent years.

Sodom, Oro, etc.

L Thammy

Oh shit really? I love Abigail, never would've thought that'd be the source

It isn't; the source is this. But it's an early inspiration for black metal, and King Diamond was one of the first metal musicians to wear the black metal corpse paint. I think Abigail's is based directly of of his?

It isn't; the source is this. But it's an early inspiration for black metal, and King Diamond was one of the first metal musicians to wear the black metal corpse paint. I think Abigail's is based directly of of his?
Yeah, I figured something like that would make more sense than Abigail from Japan. Lol

Still hype regardless

So, SF5 OST goes directly from Enya (Kolin) to hip hop (Ed) to metal (Abigail)?

Capcom is wild, lol. Gotta appreciate how adventurous they are with this game.
No one can accuse them of being stale or not trying new things, for better or worse.

Last time they were like this was the SF3 era, where they did a lot of crazy stuff that became classic with time.

Man, the more I look at Abigail's alt costumes, the more apparent it is that even though his body is weird and ugly, the tires on his arms are really making it look worse than it is. Both alts have the same proportions as his normal look but he comes off looking completely different because the profile of his upper arms has changed.

Raitaro

I dunno guys, after a few more looks and a slightly negative first reaction, I'm kinda starting to like Abigail...

Compared to the variety of pretty boys and girls with similar body types (and often similarly fancy clothes) found in most other fighting games, SF continues to at least go with the more outlandish and more extreme looking designs that harken back to the 2D fighting games of old and I have to applaud them for that. I really miss those 80's/90's style cartoony fighting games in today's Western and anime fighter dominated lanscape.

Sure, characters like Abigail can be seen as quite ugly but I think that that is the point as his impressive uglyness is what makes it more fun to try and beat him up and whatnot. To me, he falls squarely in the lineage of characters like Birdie, Zangief, Blanka, Hugo, etc. that are really out there with their designs so that they help make the more normal fighters feel more powerful.

I also have a feeling that if he had appeared in 2D sprite form first in an older game (far away from the negative glasses that many here are using to look at Capcom and SFV currently), he would have been one of the more head-turning, game defining characters similar to Earthquake in SamSho, Blanka and Zangief in SFII or Hugo in SFIII and more people would be more ok with him now.

Please no.

Haha, I'm right there with you on both accounts!

Edit: Ok, after seeing this altered version of him on twitter I can definitely agree that his body proportions are not optimal and indeed ugly / too extreme, especially with regards to his arms and head. Ideally he would have looked like Barker's version (see twitter pic) but perhaps have a v-trigger where his muscles would swell up to their current state, just like Abobo did in that Neo Geo Double Dragon fighting game (which is indeed an apt comparison that some of you here made before I had a chance). Maybe Capcom will tweak him if the backlash is strong enough but I doubt it seeing as some wanted a Fang that was less narrow and many want a more handsome Ken but both never got tweaked either...

MrCarter

Anti-SFV hipster bandwagon? I bought SFV on release day (and a digital copy again down the road). I still enjoy playing it here and there despite moving on to other multiplayer games.

Try asking yourself why so many aspects of SFV outside of the core gameplay is viewed so negatively. Maybe your SFV fanboyism is blinding you to valid criticisms.

We need a poll in here asking people if they actually like this characters design.

So you can have a one sided argument and say "OMG look see? Nobody likes the designs!" even though there will be a lot of votes in favour of it. Cut the crap mate.

Tyaren

Considering they licensed their single most iconic character for DoA of all games, I doubt that.

Koei Tecmo bathes in cash though as we know. They surely were able and willing to pay SNK a fortune for Mai.

On another note, many in here are criticizing the way Abigail looks...but can we focus on the new stage for a second?

834a0dc03f78a353ab34b5d8b9a60c05.jpg

It not only looks bland and boring but the assets are of very low quality as well. The textures on that bench...can you actually call that a texture?

Ryce

I don't think the bench texture fully loaded in that shot. It looks much more detailed here at six seconds in.

It's one of my favorite stages. The sunrise is a nice touch.

vg260

On another note, many in here are criticizing the way Abigail looks...but can we focus on the new stage for a second?

834a0dc03f78a353ab34b5d8b9a60c05.jpg

It not only looks bland and boring but the assets are of very low quality as well. The textures on that bench...can you actually call that a texture?

That's just SFV's stages in general. It's either the lack of texture quality or the filter. Perhaps it was due to needing the game to run well on a PS4, but the stages haven't really been impressive in that regard.

This was the images they teased:

I wish the game's stages look like this. I don't get Capcom's obsession with needing some stylized filter on every game. They can look great and have style without it.

Lulubop

That's just SFV's stages in general. It's either the lack of texture quality or the filter. Perhaps it was due to needing the game to run well on a PS4, but the stages haven't really been impressive in that regard.

This was the images they teased:

I wish the game's stages look like this. I don't get Capcom's obsession with needing some stylized filter on every game. They can look great and have style without it.

The stage transitions from dusk to night, also it looks incredible imo.

My problem with the games style are mostly contained to the stages.

Compared to SFIVs ones they really look bland and boring, with a few exceptions.

What I want to know is if Abigail's run into an attack is fast enough for him to deal with fireball characters well, specifically Nash and Guile.

vg260

I play on PC and the iq on stages is pretty crisp. Can see it being a problem on p4

It's not a platform specific IQ issue. It's just the inherent effect of the filter. The edges are crisp, but the filter masks the texture detail to give the oil-paint effect.

vg260

I don't think the PS4 hardware is at fault here... Similar games perform and look great with high quality textures and geometry on the console:

Definitively possible, but that is a modified UE3 vs UE4 in SFV, and who knows how well of a handle Capcom had on it initially on consoles. It does seem more of a stylistic choice though, as they do talk about using the "painterly" effect in that GDC(?) presentation where they talk about SFV's art design.

Top Bottom