• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Complex 2 was put on hold for Infinity Blade

Big Chungus

H5SKw.gif

Struct09

Hard to be too angry since Infinity Blade is an excellent game. Hopefully they'll finish up SC2 since development was already underway.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Figures. This entire generation I was worrying about all of the wrong things, waggle, bro-gaming, etc.

Now I have an IOS future to look forward to. *makes throat-slitting motion*

I like this post.

"waggle"
"bro-gaming"
"iOS"

I'm assuming "bro-gaming" is the Call of Duty/Halo/military-themed-FPS crowd.

What about Facebook/social gaming? That's also bad news for hardcore gamers as well, no?

I thought everyone already knew this. Didn't think it was uncommon knowledge.

Though I will say, perhaps controversially, that I did not think Infinity Blade was a particularly good game when removed from the iOS context. I would get frustrated with the controls (or more precisely, the lack of control accuracy) pretty often. It felt like a tech demo wrapped around a game mechanic that didn't fit.

But I also didn't like Shadow Complex, so eh.

1-D_FTW

Drkirby said:
Well, that sucks. I also wonder why they didn't just put the game on the PC.

Right? It would have been so easy to port it over, too. Double the sales would have held up much better vs the myriad of iOS devices that Infinity Blade got to sell to.

Josh7289

ShockingAlberto said:
I thought everyone already knew this. Didn't think it was uncommon knowledge.

Though I will say, perhaps controversially, that I did not think Infinity Blade was a particularly good game when removed from the iOS context. I would get frustrated with the controls (or more precisely, the lack of control accuracy) pretty often. It felt like a tech demo wrapped around a game mechanic that didn't fit.

But I also didn't like Shadow Complex, so eh.
What was wrong with the controls? Tap a couple icons to dodge, tap an icon to block, and swing around like a madman to attack. It's pretty simple.

Derrick01

Banned
B!TCH said:
I like this post.

"waggle"
"bro-gaming"
"iOS"

I'm assuming "bro-gaming" is the Call of Duty/Halo/military-themed-FPS crowd.

What about Facebook/social gaming? That's also bad news for hardcore gamers as well, no?

Yeah. Next gen is going to suck bad.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Figures. This entire generation I was worrying about all of the wrong things, waggle, bro-gaming, etc.

Now I have an IOS future to look forward to. *makes throat-slitting motion*

Indeed.

It's bad that all developers don't cater to your wants.

so they're making some of that iPhone money and letting Shadow Complex 2 bake for a long time-- no problem with that. I'd rather have SC2 kick tons of ass when it finally comes out.

at least Infinity Blade is legitimately a great game, without the "for an iPhone game" qualification.

Guevara

Shadow Complex 2 would have been a successful game, Infinity Blade represents opening a huge new market.

Just like how we're not getting Half Life 3 (which would be a successful game), instead we're getting DOTA which has the potential of opening huge new markets for Valve.

It sucks, but in both cases it's the right business decision. I personally don't think we'll ever get Shadow Complex 2. It was too huge and too much a labor of love. Now that Chair is bigger time, why would they go backwards?

newsguy

I beat SC last night. I played like halfway and lost the save when it launched. 5:48 in one sitting and it was so worth it. Amazing game.

Pimpbaa

I enjoyed Infinity Blade more than Shadow Complex. Shadow Complex theme and look was just too boring for a side scrolling 2.5D game.

JCreasy

Guevara said:
Shadow Complex 2 would have been a successful game, Infinity Blade represents opening a huge new market.

Just like how we're not getting Half Life 3 (which would be a successful game), instead we're getting DOTA which has the potential of opening huge new markets for Valve.

It sucks, but in both cases it's the right business decision. I personally don't think we'll ever get Shadow Complex 2. It was too huge and too much a labor of love. Now that Chair is bigger time, why would they go backwards?

Smart analysis.

If this was twitter, I would follow you.

Are any of you really all that surprised?
That said...
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Edit:
Anyone else notice that its been exactly 2 years to the day since Shadow Complex has been released? Odd timing for such sad news.

I played IB for a couple minutes on a friends iPad. I was pretty impressed. If I had an iPad I'd play it.

But I really liked Shadow Complex, one of the top 5 XBLA games easily ... so it's sad that it was one or the other, but such is business.

Adam J.

Wasn't IB made on a 5 month dev-cycle? Sounds like there is more to the story of why Shadow Complex might have been shelved for the time being.

ShockingAlberto said:
I understand what you're trying to say but it's an iOS game, so why would you remove it from that context?

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
they should keep sc2 on hold and develop infinity blade 2

atre324

I can't help but wonder if Epic's success with Infinity Blade means we'll end up seeing Shadow Complex get released for Ipad and not just XBLA...

Anyway I'd be happy with a sequel for either game at this point.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shadow Complex released August 2009. Infinity Blade released Dec 2010.

That's around a 15-16 month gap between the two. The development time for Shadow Complex was 18 months.

Inifinty Blade's development time was 5 months. So they had up to 9-10 months of development time on SC2 before switching gears, which makes sense since they said they were halfway through it (probably a little more, since there were a lot of "wasted" months of dev time in SC1).

Well, it's almost been another 9 months since Inifinity Blade has released, plenty of time to have finished Shadow Complex 2. No excuses! Except perhaps some XBLA scheduling getting in the way.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Princess Skittles said:
The worst news is worst.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/36599/GDC_Europe_Epics_Capps_On_Why_Shadow_Complex_2_Was_Shelved.php

"Shadow Complex was a huge success for us on Xbox Live Arcade," he explained. "It was described as the best title on XBLA and secured record sales and strong reviews across the world. We were some way into creating the sequel and it was already playing exceptionally well."

"But midway through development we decided to shift the entire team into working alongside our engine guys on an iOS title which went on to release as Infinity Blade," he said. Shadow Complex was developed by Epic-owned Chair Entertainment, which also developed Infinity Blade.

6abe9267.gif

White Man

I'd imagine Shadow Complex 2 has a decent chance of being a full retail game.

I don't think this is a bad thing either. I'd rather have sequels sit out for a few years. If SC sequels were pumped out too quickly people would get bored with them, a la Metroidvania games.

Top Bottom