• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

For some reason this game seems to me like it's the Star Wars Unleashed equivalent of Lord of the Rings. I think it will be above average but I haven't seen anything that made it seem like it will be something special.

For some reason this game seems to me like it's the Star Wars Unleashed equivalent of Lord of the Rings. I think it will be above average but I haven't seen anything that made it seem like it will be something special.
There's been loads of great Star Wars games (Dark Forces, Jedi Knights, KOTOR, Republic Commando, etc), Unleashed is one of the most mediocre. If you're saying Shadow of Mordor could be just above average for LOTR games I can see that, but I wouldn't call Force Unleashed above average :p

It's really strange though. I want this game to be great, and when I look at the previews it surely looks ok, but there's the indeniable smell of the stinker floating around. It will probably turn out to be an hidden gem (LOTR name notwithstanding), or it will be bulldozed by the november releases and quickly forgotten.
I also can't reallly get past about how bland I find the protagonist.

decapitationv2.gif

Shadow of Mordor |OT| It’s a dangerous business, Talion, going out your door

Raptor

Hey guys, good news. Got ahold of the community manager of Monolith on Twitter (seems like a really nice guy, btw), and I asked him about whether v-sync was in, since we saw some pretty bad tearing in some of the more recent streams.

He said, "Can you send me the demo you're referring to? We'd love to research it. But, in our shipping build, we're not seeing any screen tearing, and absolutely have v-sync on!"

So, yeah, I'm happy. I hate screen tearing, so I was worried.

No screen tearing?

Fuck that puts things back into perspective, now I have to really think what I will buy first :(

This or EW.

There's been loads of great Star Wars games (Dark Forces, Jedi Knights, KOTOR, Republic Commando, etc), Unleashed is one of the most mediocre. If you're saying Shadow of Mordor could be just above average for LOTR games I can see that, but I wouldn't call Force Unleashed above average :p

By average I mean above 50% average score. But what I meant by that wasn't that it will be a great game, it will be just that a game, whose greatest distinguishing feature is the IP it is associated with.

It's not as eagerly anticipated as say, Watch Dogs was, but I do think it's being sold as something greater than it actually is. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this PR song being spun a few too many times the past few months to expect this game to be genuinely great.

SJRB

Gold Member
Shadow of Mordor |OT| Orc Orc Orc, you eat soup with a ...

[I'm really pumped for this game, haha]

ZeroEdge

I ended up playing this at the Montreal Comicon over the weekend (along with The Order and DriveClub) and it was pretty fun and constantly had a line up of people waiting to play (at least when I was there Saturday/Sunday) To me it looked good, the gameplay felt tight and it was fun (kinda like a Tolkien Batman Arkham game). It probably won't blow up the charts this fall but it's a looking like a good game and seems to be definitely worth playing. Maybe not Day 1 but I'll probably pick it up by the holidays.

Lord Phol

As someone who dragged himself through the whole of Force Unleashed hating it more and more with each minute I will have to disagree with this. I don't expect Shadow of Mordor to be groundbreaking or make sales like Destiny but everything we have seen and heard makes it looks like a really solid and fun game, unlike the piece of crap that was Force Unleashed. Just having the combat system being similar to the arkham games verifies that.

Sadly I think this willl be a sleeper hit.

ys45

The only thing worrying me about this game is the combat they look like Batman Arkham series and I suck at the combat in Batman (I'm really bad at timing the hit and blocking)

So if it's the same Il pass this one or wait till it's cheaper

Raptor

Don't you back down now. Lol or get both, like me.

I made peace with this I think, SoM can wait, I will still buy it full price but after EW.

Reason is that Im deep into Diablo 3 now and a ARPG for different they may seem feels redundant right now to me.

I'm really excited about this game, unfortunately I may have to not buy day 1, there are about 7 or 8 games on my list and my cash is disappearing faster than water in a desert :(

Might have to wait until closer to xmas :( - probably go and play it if its at the Eurogamer Expo next week though.

BouncyFrag

I'm really excited about this game, unfortunately I may have to not buy day 1, there are about 7 or 8 games on my list and my cash is disappearing faster than water in a desert :(

Might have to wait until closer to xmas :( - probably go and play it if its at the Eurogamer Expo next week though.
Once October and onwards hits its gonna get crazy good for games. I've got this just after DA:I on my must have list but that will last me a long time.

I generally don't like preordering games but I'm tempted to preorder this from GMG with the 25% off code. That would make it only $37.50.

The Nemesis system seems cool but I do worry that it'll feel stale after a while. They're saying its all totally unique but just how unique? Is it just going to be a different Orc name and palette swap? I'm just skeptical as to how unique that'll be and worried it might just end up feeling like monotonous side quests killing Orc chieftains over and over again.

I generally don't like preordering games but I'm tempted to preorder this from GMG with the 25% off code. That would make it only $37.50.

The Nemesis system seems cool but I do worry that it'll feel stale after a while. They're saying its all totally unique but just how unique? Is it just going to be a different Orc name and palette swap? I'm just skeptical as to how unique that'll be and worried it might just end up feeling like monotonous side quests killing Orc chieftains over and over again.

Each Orc has their own strengths and weaknesses, some of which develop as a result of your encounters with them (i.e. fear of fire as a result of being burned). You'll want to swap runes in/out depending on your target.

Dmax3901

Shadow of Mordor |OT| Talion does simply walk into Mordor

This is good, but I feel it could be tweaked. For example:

Shadow of Mordor |OT| Talion simply walks into Mordor

My suggestions:

Shadow of Mordor |OT| The Black Gates are Guarded by more than just Orcs

or maybe just

Shadow of Mordor |OT| Mordor is Guarded by more than just Orcs

Shadow of Mordor |OT| Swift and Quick like Shadows we must be

I could go on for hours I know the script of lotr like the back of my hand.

Iscariot

In respect to their looks, I think they said their body/face randomization could make thousands of different orcs.

Oh, just because they're Orc , that means they all look the same? Real nice, buddy!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Has there been any indication thus far regarding the inclusion of Sauron's other forces; the Haradrim, Easterlings and even the lesser known Variags?

Some Black Númenóreans too were alligned with Sauron, although their exact numbers are unknown. The Mouth of Sauron is if course the most well known B.N.

Essentially any of the race of Men who Melkor turned (long before the Eldar first encountered Men in the First Age) and Sauron thus made use of.

I don't play videogames very often so my interest in this is purely scholarly in nature.

Top Bottom