• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

Grief.exe

Edmond Dantès;130337189 said:
Has there been any indication thus far regarding the inclusion of Sauron's other forces; the Haradrim, Easterlings and even the lesser known Variags?

Some Black Númenóreans too were alligned with Sauron, although their exact numbers are unknown. The Mouth of Sauron is if course the most well known B.N.

Essentially any of the race of Men who Melkor turned (long before the Eldar first encountered Men in the First Age) and Sauron thus made use of.

I don't play videogames very often so my interest in this is purely scholarly in nature.

Add some much needed diversity to the game.

Levyne

Banned
Some variant of that I like, I dunno if I care to mention the protags name or have "Mordor" in the title twice.

Midde-Earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One simply walks right in

Or such

Some variant of that I like, I dunno if I care to mention the protags name or have "Mordor" in the title twice.

Or such

I'll humbly resubmit my suggestion, which is a little less on-the-nose:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| Boromir Was Wrong

Dmax3901

Has there been any indication thus far regarding the inclusion of Sauron's other forces; the Haradrim, Easterlings and even the lesser known Variags?

Some Black Númenóreans too were alligned with Sauron, although their exact numbers are unknown. The Mouth of Sauron is if course the most well known B.N.

Essentially any of the race of Men who Melkor turned (long before the Eldar first encountered Men in the First Age) and Sauron thus made use of.

I don't play videogames very often so my interest in this is purely scholarly in nature.

This would be so awesome, but I highly doubt it's the case with this particular game.

... Some day perhaps.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
For some reason I was under the impression this wasn't coming to PC. Now i'm cautiously hyped about this. Some real unique mechanics here.

Or such

Midde-Earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| How To Simply Walk Into Mordor Without Really Trying

Kard8p3

They've only shown one of three(or is it four?) areas in the game, so they're keeping a lot of things hidden/

This trailer shows the 3 sort of main bad guys/ servants of Sauron in the game. This IGN breakdown of the trailer makes note that 2 of the 3 guys are indeed Black Númenóreans.

VanWinkle

Those are nice and unique boss designs.

Definitely.

icHTMrZFQUjDa.png

iBiNeCYgBMh0I.png

BwujLU1CcAA_gLx.jpg:orig

I'm inching closer to pre-ordering this. I wasn't even that interested in it initially, but I'm slowly being swayed. How terrible of me.

My second OT suggestion:
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Wraith to Rule Them All

BashNasty

I know literally nothing about this game, but, hey, that's not to say I couldn't like it.

I know questions like these are typically frowned upon (google it yourself!) but given this is a hype thread, could someone give me the biggest three reasons why I should care about this game?

VanWinkle

I know literally nothing about this game, but, hey, that's not to say I couldn't like it.

I know questions like these are typically frowned upon (google it yourself!) but given this is a hype thread, could someone give me the biggest three reasons why I should care about this game?

Same developer as Condemned, No One Lives Forever, and FEAR, lead writer of RDR takes helm of the writing here with a similar mission structure to that game, and a unique gameplay mechanic in the form of the Nemesis system, where every little "grunt" in the world is unique, remembers you, and has the ability to get promoted from the lowest peon to a full-on warchief, whether dynamically or through actions you take. Also, although it's available on last-gen, Monolith is working ONLY on PS4, XB1, and PC, while another studio is working PS3 and 360 versions, and those won't have the full feature-set of this game that the new gen provides. Also, the developers seem very confident about the game, and have shown hours and hours of gameplay, while also not revealing much about the story or the story missions.

Yoday

I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago on PSN, and the countdown ends sometime around the Sunday before the game launches...weird. Maybe it is counting down to the preload time by mistake?

This game is an open world, epic adventure-action with the dynamic, free-form Nemesis System. It is a mishmash of three popular series:
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Batman: Arkham games
and it's wicked sick. The hero-guy can mind control the badass-est evil-doers of the Tolkien mythology.

But don't take my word for it - watch this 30 minute video and get an idea for yourself. (A word of warning, though: the video is narrated by an incredibly gravelly voice, and it's a collection of various trailers so it's a bit repetitive.)

In all seriousness, it seems like an interesting take on traditional open world gameplay, a la the Batman Arkham games. It is trying to be more dynamic and interesting than most via the Nemesis System, which promises a dynamic campaign of infiltration, undermining your enemy, and destroying them, not only through personal strength, but also by guile and cunning as well.

As a lone warrior (joined with the wraith Celebrimbor), you won't take down the enemy army... they will do it to themselves.
One wraith to rule them all, one man to find them; one mortal to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Personally, I think it will either be very fun, or very predictable and boring. It's resting everything on the Nemesis System.

VanWinkle

I requested two paid days off work on the 30th and 31st, so I'm really counting on this game being great, guys, lol. Can't wait to take countless screenshots and share countless impressions.

Fipse

Neo Member
While the game mechanics look promising i simply can not get over the setting. It turns the world of Middle-Earth into another generic fantasy world. Good job! You ruined it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
While the game mechanics look promising i simply can not get over the setting. It turns the world of Middle-Earth into another generic fantasy world. Good job! You ruined it.

Given that Middle Earth and it's inhabitants was the basis for just about everything fantasy-related, how is ME unique in any way, anymore?

SJRB

Gold Member

What does this even mean? The devs have explained a thousand times that Mordor before Sauron returns looks nothing like the Mordor from the movies.

Besides, the map is bigger than just this greenland area.

Nice to confirm they want no screen tearing final build, was my only concern.

I think this game will be helped with Dragon Age delay, and Destiny, while successful, seems to have a mixed response so I dont think it ends up harming other games too much when shadow comes out

Top Bottom