• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus review thread

Raziel

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/shadow-of-the-colossus

Easy Allies - 100
Shadow of the Colossus sets the standard for remakes with its gorgeous visuals, new extra features, and refined controls. The essence of what made it great remains pure and untainted -- the epic battles against the Colossi, the great atmosphere, the amazing sense of wonder, and one of the best soundtracks to grace a video game. It’s a class act that manages to rekindle the raw emotion of exploring the Forbidden Lands for the first time, and reminds us once again that video games can truly be works of art.

Destructoid - 100
This remake's fresh coat of paint isn't there to hide any flaws, it's there to highlight its perfections.

IGN - 97
The true definition of a classic, the gameplay and story of Shadow of the Colossus are every bit as great and emotional today as they were in 2005. This outstanding remaster skillfully enhances those qualities with improved controls, performance, and sheer graphical beauty. It remains one of the best PlayStation games ever made, and it’s wonderful that Sony has brought it back to the fore so a new generation of gamers can experience it without having to look past its aged facade.

Gamespot - 90
Shadow of the Colossus is a tremendous journey, and one well worth taking and retaking. The visual overhaul is stunning, thoroughly enhancing every facet of Wander and Agro's excellent adventure. Galloping through the tranquil world is always breathtaking; felling a monumental colossus is always humbling. Shadow of the Colossus is a beautiful reconstruction of an already exceptional title. It continues to be a modern classic and is an extraordinary game that everyone must experience.

Eurogamer - Essential
A melancholy masterpiece is reborn in this faithful and breathtakingly beautiful remake.

Last edited:

Brizzo24

Excited to see it get such positive reviews. I haven't played it since PS2, circa 2005-6. Will be fun to revisit all 16 behemoths!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had it on PS2 and it looked fantastic. Reading these reviews is like a world without the PS3 port.

There's a free theme if you watch two of the trailers over at live.playstation.com. You have to sign into your PSN account though.
http://live.playstation.com

Last edited:
This totally deserve all the praise it can get. The only flaw of the original was the performance and the remake fixes it and beyond.

OrionFalls

UpDownUpDown
I’m genuinely gobsmacked at how good Shadow of the Colossus looks and how great it feels to play. It absolutely retains the old-school challenge that made it such a classic, but it feels entirely up-to-date and won’t alienate a new audience. Finally, I can jump on board with a game I’ve been told for over a decade is amazing, and now can see everything people have been talking about for so long.

JayBabay

I first played this on the HD Remaster for PS3 during an all night session with a friend. Im excited to go back and replay it, this remake is setting a precedent.

xviper

is this the first time a Remake scores better than the original game ??

Shadow of the colossus is still a masterpeice after 13 years

did they add a new colossus ? because that would make me buy it day 1

DonF

is this the first time a Remake scores better than the original game ??

Shadow of the colossus is still a masterpeice after 13 years

did they add a new colossus ? because that would make me buy it day 1
Easy allies review says that bluepoint added a new reward for the timed mode.

thelastword

Banned
To get a higher meta than the original, this is a clear sign of how timeless SOTC truly is. A true classic in story, gameplay and artistry...

Last edited:

JMZ555

Can someone clarify if they have removed the slowly corrupting look of Wander as each colossi is defeated? Shame if they missed that out considering the effort they put in.

Last edited:
The Metacritic and Open Critic scores currently sits at 93! Great job by Bluepoint -- AS ALWAYS!

That being said, a major observation and issue that I have with these sites (or any review aggregate site) is that you have some review sites using a 4 or 5 star system for their grading. For instance, Games Radar uses a 5-Star Rating system and gives SotC 4 out of 5 stars. Metacritic interprets that as an 80. Likewise, Open Critic puts the Daily Mirror score in the same position on its site -- a 4 out of 5 star review bringing the average down even though the Daily Mirror calls the game a "Masterpiece".

That is complete nonsense because when you read these reviews, there is almost nothing that they have criticism with, so if these reviews used a percentage out of 100 , the score would be much higher than an 80! The way Metacritic interprets the 4 out of 5 stars brings down the average score completely unfairly. That is why people really need to READ reviews and take a look at the scores as a whole, rather than in a vacuum. I always look at the low scores on a critically acclaimed game or high scores on a universally panned game and I often see interpretations by the aggregate sites that do not match up to the reviews they are posting and it was just bothering me this morning when checking out SotC scores.

Last edited:
My favorite game of all time and I was somewhat skeptic of this remake. I'm happy to see it doing well and I can't wait to pick up my copy and revisit this monster.

sublimit

Banned
Congrats to Bluepoint! I stopped caring for reviews a long time ago but i know how important they still are for "making or breaking" a game (sadly).

Do Bluepoint make their own games? They seem wasted on ports.
I have a feeling that their next project will be a new IP (probably funded by Sony).They must have gained so much knowledge and experience from a project like this that it would be a waste to go back to remasters.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Really looking forward to this. I have the ps3 version but never played it past the first collosus even though I liked it a bunch.

Bryank75

Banned
During PS2 era, I was addicted to Tekken and MGS along with my Gamecube and never played this... I am so excited about finally getting a great reason/opportunity.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
redeem the code on the store, then on your ps4 go to settings> themes

So I redeemed the code now. So it's going to automatically be in my PS4 themes in settings without me having to push "download"?

MDSLKTR

I have a feeling that their next project will be a new IP (probably funded by Sony).They must have gained so much knowledge and experience from a project like this that it would be a waste to go back to remasters.
I hope not. You want them to pull a Ready at dawn? They excel at being tech wizards so I look forward to their 60fps horizon uprez on ps5

Brizzo24

Gosh, I'm torn on whether or not I should purchase the game, or simply rent it on RedBox. I played it back in the day, on my PS2. I certainly don't want to rush through the game, but honestly there's nothing to do after defeating all 16. Amazon Prime for $33 ain't bad though, and I could always sell it or trade it in. Photo mode is a cool incentive!

Top Bottom