• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Review Thread

pawel86ck

Banned

Very good review with gameplay on xbox X. Game looks amazing on xbox X. According to nxgamer xbox X version runs at dynamic 4K on xbox X (1800p dips), but that's still amazing result if you consider 4K results from PC version. 1080ti 30-40 fps, and GTX 1070 23fps LOL. In that perspective 30fps in 4K dynamic doesnt look bad :p.

The only problem is input lag, the same as in rise of the tomb raider according to NXgamer :(, and that's a bad thing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i scrubbed through that 40 minute preview and got to admit the new TR games look absolutely gorgeous. they have gotten really well at making these giant crazy tombs that are cinematic as heck and so, so beautiful.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Where the scores are at now, this is feeling like it'll be decent but something that I'll wait on a deep Steam sale for.

SonGoku

Edios Montreal is the same studio who did the goofy BLM parallels in their last Deus Ex game. They definitely come across as "look, we're woke too, guys!" at times.
Time to scrap that studio and relocate some of the talent left then, two duds in a row

I preordered the croft edition from best buy now i am having second through. Is it truly worth 68? It look amazing but some of the review cast a shadow of doubt.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'll buy it on sale at some point, but yeah, definitely time to shake up the formula after this. Bring the fun and sexy Lara back, and give us a different style of gameplay.

Xenon

I always like the take from these guys. It's interesting that he says they backed off on the combat. I wasn't getting that from other reviews.

Nethernova

Very good review with gameplay on xbox X. Game looks amazing on xbox X. According to nxgamer xbox X version runs at dynamic 4K on xbox X (1800p dips), but that's still amazing result if you consider 4K results from PC version. 1080ti 30-40 fps, and GTX 1070 23fps LOL. In that perspective 30fps in 4K dynamic doesnt look bad :p.

Equal settings on both systems though?

I think something has been off with the entire reboot. It feels like a Frankenstein monster of elements put together to imitate something like uncharted (without the humor). It feels directionless to me. I've read some reviews now, and to me it just feels like people are coming around to my way of thinking.

But what do I know, I think Lara's VA is atrocious.

octiny

Banned
Looks like the overall scores are slowly but surely going up. Not too shabby! Looking forward to finishing the trilogy.

Hopefully Crystal Dynamics takes over for the next installment, instead of handing it off to Edios Montreal like they did here.

sublimit

Banned
so whats Crystal Dynamics doing if they handed this off to someone else
Avengers.

And they didn't exactly "handed it to someone else".People from Eidos Montreal had worked on both TR 2013 and Rise along with CD. In fact SotTR game director Daniel Chayer-Bisson from Eidos Montreal was also the game director of TR 2013. Maybe he was also for Rise but i'm not sure for that one.

HeresJohnny

The only problem is input lag, the same as in rise of the tomb raider according to NXgamer :(, and that's a bad thing.

That’s like saying “your physical came back perfectly fine except you have butt cancer.” Input lag is unacceptable in my opinion.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Ugh, that could kill my pre order.

Vawn

Banned
I love how certain people are using different console scores on Metacritic as ammo for the console war instead of pointing out it's an issue with Metacritic itself.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love how certain people are using different console scores on Metacritic as ammo for the console war instead of pointing out it's an issue with Metacritic itself.

And they go into a certain hot thread here (mainly hot because they keep it going) and say they are "just a consumer" and not led by any system bias whatsoever. The very same people. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You don't fool anyone.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Totally playing with the Tomb Raider 2 skin the whole time.

This is both sacriligious and sad at the same time. Sacriligious because obviously this game (and this new Lara) has nothing to do with the classics and sad because it makes me realize how different this series could have been in terms of gameplay if they have kept the stylization (of both Lara and the environments of course) and built upon a more improved,fluid and faster grid-based engine.

But having classic Lara in these games is nothing more than cheap PR that tries to play on nostalgia and trying to built a completely groundless connection with the classics. She looks completely out of place in many more ways than just the graphics.

Last edited:

Nethernova

gta 5 was the most refreshing open world game back when it came out. And again metacritic.
Zelda botw is sky high on metacritic and imo the best open world game yet.
(the last tomb raider is not)
dragon quest 11 is an oldschool jrpg made for old jrpg fans that looks amazing.

Sure at the end of the day it's just an opinion. But man does this game look plain as hell.

I play games not reviews, and god of war PS4 is the exact definition of triple a tripe.

Go figure. Opinions and stuff.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This is both sacriligious and sad at the same time. Sacriligious because obviously this game (and this new Lara) has nothing to do with the classics and sad because it makes me realize how different this series could have been in terms of gameplay if they have kept the stylization (of both Lara and the environments of course) and built upon a more improved,fluid and faster grid-based engine.

But having classic Lara in these games is nothing more than cheap PR that tries to play on nostalgia and trying to built a completely groundless connection with the classics. She looks completely out of place in many more ways than just the graphics.
The problem is, if Tomb Raider didn’t evolve it would probably be slammed for it. Remember how many years Activision got slammed for CoD always been the same with little to no innovation.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Ha, what's this narrative here in which an 81 on opencritic constitutes awful garbage?

I liked the first two so I'll probably like this one too, sounds like. I'll play it eventually.

Darak

I don't think a grid based engine will be ever seen again outside weird indie experiments, as something like that was already outdated in the PS2 era. It actually introduced some desirable elements to 3D platforming (guessing distances was much easier) but the restrictions upon level visuals were way too much. I think nobody has tried to mix realistic animations with decent 3D platforming gameplay; it's a hard problem, even more so in an open environment with a free camera.

Still, seeing the exploration and platforming elements completely removed (or replaced by on-rails experiences) is disappointing, though.

The problem is, if Tomb Raider didn’t evolve it would probably be slammed for it.

That already happened in the original series, where every entry from II to Chronicles shared the original engine & gameplay and was heavily criticized. I will argue that it is already happening now, as I see zero evolution between the reboot, Rise and Shadow. In fact, the situation from I to III was very similar to the new trilogy: three games with the same gameplay, just different settings, story and some new features and quality of life improvements.

Nethernova

E D G Y comment m8

I don’t even know what this reply was supposed to mean. I mean, you come in, insult the game because it doesn’t suit your taste and your “metacritic requirements” and then get defensive when others say their opinions don’t line up with yours on other games with a trash, disposable reply with attempt at sarcasm/Witt” LULZ SO EDGY” post. Congrats I guess?

sublimit

Banned
I don't think a grid based engine will be ever seen again outside weird indie experiments, as something like that was already outdated in the PS2 era. It actually introduced some desirable elements to 3D platforming (guessing distances was much easier) but the restrictions upon level visuals were way too much. I think nobody has tried to mix realistic animations with decent 3D platforming gameplay; it's a hard problem, even more so in an open environment with a free camera.

Still, seeing the exploration and platforming elements completely removed (or replaced by on-rails experiences) is disappointing, though.

That's why i said it's sad. Because as i said before if they have kept the stylization in the graphics then a grid-based engine would have been more in-line with the visuals and the overall mentallity of the game. There would have been no more restrictions dictated by an overly serious and grounded tone and the developers would have been more free to play with the level designs and platforming. It was a huge mistake to force Tomb Raider to become a blockbuster cinematic experience when its roots were elsewhere. Sure the profit expectations wouldn't be the same but it would also cost MUCH much less than the everything that came after 2000.

At the very least they could have kept the original gameplay and classic lara as a spin-off series and continued the blockbuster route with the main series.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don’t even know what this reply was supposed to mean. I mean, you come in, insult the game because it doesn’t suit your taste and your “metacritic requirements” and then get defensive when others say their opinions don’t line up with yours on other games with a trash, disposable reply with attempt at sarcasm/Witt” LULZ SO EDGY” post. Congrats I guess?

snXogh1.jpg

n83Ic6u.jpg

When a "tripple A" title can't even hit an 8 these days yes that means it's actually bad.

But saying God of war ( sitting at a 9.4 ) is the definition of tripe is edgy af.

the difference in ratings between Rise and Shadow is big

aside from the weird and huge graphical downgrade from the previous game ,something big must have been changed that ruined the game

Graphical downgrade from the previous game? I thought it looked a little better in the screenshots actually. Then again, maybe I need to do a side by side comparison.

sublimit

Banned
That already happened in the original series, where every entry from II to Chronicles shared the original engine & gameplay and was heavily criticized. I will argue that it is already happening now, as I see zero evolution between the reboot, Rise and Shadow. In fact, the situation from I to III was very similar to the new trilogy: three games with the same gameplay, just different settings, story and some new features and quality of life improvements.

That wasn't the engine's fault though. It was the fault of Eidos who were forcing Core Design to make a Tomb Raider game every year. Of course they wouldn't have time to implement many new things in that limited amount of time. However Core still managed to evolve the series even if it was a tiny bit. The original's level structure was very different when compared with TR3 and TR4 which were more open and interconnected. Lara also had some new moves and abilities,new vehicles etc. in almost every new games.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

When a "tripple A" title can't even hit an 8 these days yes that means it's actually bad.

But saying God of war ( sitting at a 9.4 ) is the definition of tripe is edgy af.

Any exclusive with a blue box will get automatically a 90+ score. That's the law. /s

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Graphical downgrade from the previous game? I thought it looked a little better in the screenshots actually. Then again, maybe I need to do a side by side comparison.

im watching the Digital Foundry video, they demonstrate how the technology has improved. a big difference seems to be anti aliasing, it used to result in shimmering artifacts in tree branches for the older games but with the thick foliage that won't work, so they've implemented new AA that looks way better. also the leaves use a new kind of lighting so that light passes through them. overall it's damn impressive.

Last edited:

Darak

That wasn't the engine's fault though. It was the fault of Eidos who were forcing Core Design to make a Tomb Raider game every year. Of course they wouldn't have time to implement many new things in that limited amount of time. However Core still managed to evolve the series even if it was a tiny bit. The original's level structure was very different when compared with TR3 and TR4 which were more open and interconnected. Lara also had some new moves and abilities,new vehicles etc. in almost every new games.

I'm not blaming the developer. For all I know, Eidos killed the series, and in fact developing one Tomb Raider a year was probably an heroic feat, even if the games were derivative. It's true they improved the formula to some extent, but those kind of changes were minor at the end of the day, and comparable in scope to the changes we've seen in the new trilogy.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
To be fair, it was before Sony got heavily favored. It was a launch title.

When did they get favored and who declared them "favored"? Was their a ceremony and a secret ballot?

odhin

- Tomb Raider 2013 metacritic: 86 / 87
- Rise of the Tomb Raider metacritic: 86
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider metacritic: 78 (ps4) / 81 (pc) / 83 (xOne) AS OF NOW

Just for comparison.

It's not that big of a difference for someone who really enjoyed the previous entries to skip on this one imo. That is, going by the xbox one metacritic as a factor.

Top Bottom