• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Review Thread

Kacho

5A7bZje.png

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider/critic-reviews

IGN - 90

With a story that manages to satisfactorily tread the line between high-concept fun and grounded character exploration, Shadow of the Tomb Raider meaningfully wraps up the journey Lara began in 2013 and convincingly leaves her in a place resembling where she was when we were first introduced to her more than 20 years ago. I would have liked a little more incentive to explore the beautiful world Eidos Montreal has created, but I’d much prefer too much content than too little. There’s so much to enjoy elsewhere in a game that’s stuffed to the brim with ideas and devilishly challenging puzzles. I can’t wait to see where Lara goes next.

Eurogamer - 80
As what may be the last hoorah for this particular story arc, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a stereotypical stealth-action game, but one which manages to separate itself from the pack by excelling in everything that makes this genre what it is.

Gamespot - 60

Making the journey to Shadow of the Tomb Raider's peaks is certainly an attractive goal, but like the challenging terrain Lara needs to traverse, the path there is getting rougher and more unpredictable.

Easy Allies

GamesRadar

ACG

MrMattyPlays

WhatCulture Gaming

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Currently sat at 77 (34 critics) on PS4, yet 83 (24 critics) on Xbone. Metacritic really needs a way to consolidate these.

Either way, can't say I'm surprised that part 3 of a trilogy gets slightly weaker scores. Probably going to wait to pick this up, it's come out at a really unfortunate time between Spider-Man and RDR2.

Last edited:

Kreydo

Finally some review that make sense.
Still it took them 3 games to see the flaws of those reboot since 2013, took them less time than for Assassin's Creed thought...

Let's hope it will wake up those are in charge of the serie, or at this point I don't really care if it fall to oblivion.

Last edited:

kunonabi

As much as I hated the first one this almost sounds entertaining in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. The fact that the platforming sounds worse than before is especially hilarious. I might actually redbox it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Slightly worse than I was expecting. Not good considering the release timing.

Kacho

It's worth nothing that Crystal Dynamics did not develop this game. Edios Montreal of Deus Ex fame did.

This is pretty surprising. I expected low to mid 80s. I'm shocked it released this fall though. Tomb Raider is very much of a game that would do great in a time of the year...not right before huge releases.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll get it on sale. I loved the first game. Couldn't finish the 2nd from boredom.

The games are not bad, just very similar and repetitive. I like some of the more advanced stealth kill options I've seen but I'm drowning in other games right now.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Definitely a fall from grace for the franchise. Will buy when it’s $20.

Wonder what the “good” Tomb Raider team is doing instead of this (this game was developed by Eidos Montreal)?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I hoped that they would learn from their mistakes in Rise and make it more like the reboot again.... Looks like they didn't...

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I was expecting in the 85-90 range. Surprised to see in the 70s. I am still looking forward to it Wednesday.

Enzo88

Liked both the previous games a lot, going to get this as well.
The game does not invent anything, but i always found it better than uncharted in mostly everything but story/characters.

iconmaster

Banned
That Telegraph review is brutal.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a bloated, frustrating, irrational experience that feels like parts of three different games haphazardly stacked together. It’s the kind of game that has you yelling angrily at the screen when the next inexplicable decision comes along happens. By the time the game was literally comparing Lara Croft to Jesus Christ, the shark had fully been jumped.

Wow. I really enjoyed the 2013 game too.

I'll cross this off my list and make sure to play Rise at some point.

sublimit

Banned
Gotta love the reactions and double standards from a lot of fans i see right now over at TRForums. When the reviews are positive (for all the wrong reasons) they are suddenly the "be all end all" when those fans are trying to prove and convince others of the games worth. But when the reviews are negative (again for all the wrong reasons) then they go bananas with remarks like "these reviewers are idiots" ,"they are so unprofessional" and other cute things like that. XD

I wonder when will this fanbase will finally realize that 90% of reviews for Tomb Raider games have always been terrible regardless if they were positive or negative ever since 1996? The same also applies to articles of course. Sadly the journalists who knew what they were talking about when it came to Tomb Raider (the game not Lara) were always very few.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
When asked about if they were worried about Spiderman, one of the devs said "only one game has Lara in it". Well no, that's not true. Your game has some bastardized nuLara in it. Don't compare her to the classic icon.

Not that even old Lara could save this reboot series from the rote gameplay.

Kacho

"Almost every other character in the game, too, interacts with Lara by parading in front of her justifying her actions. There are precisely two white people in the game, including Lara herself, which means dozens of people of colour seem to exist solely to make Lara feel better about herself. It is farcical. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...er-review-new-lara-croft-adventure-startling/

Edios Montreal is the same studio who did the goofy BLM parallels in their last Deus Ex game. They definitely come across as "look, we're woke too, guys!" at times.

Currently sat at 77 (34 critics) on PS4, yet 83 (24 critics) on Xbone. Metacritic really needs a way to consolidate these.

Either way, can't say I'm surprised that part 3 of a trilogy gets slightly weaker scores. Probably going to wait to pick this up, it's come out at a really unfortunate time between Spider-Man and RDR2.
Well maybe it's because the PS4 has better games in the same genre. IDK.

GenericUser

This is just reskinned rise of the tomb raider with minor changes sprinkled in. No wonder people are getting tired of it. What about taking tomb raider really back to its roots?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

"Almost every other character in the game, too, interacts with Lara by parading in front of her justifying her actions. There are precisely two white people in the game, including Lara herself, which means dozens of people of colour seem to exist solely to make Lara feel better about herself. It is farcical. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...er-review-new-lara-croft-adventure-startling/

She is constantly whining; introspective in a way that ends up frustrating. Almost every five minutes there is a cutscene of Lara waxing lyrical about herself in a dour and melodramatic way. She has gone from the wisecracking, enigmatic Lara of the original series to a whiny, bratty child

Sad.

zwiggelbig

I really dont understand some companies release windows.. why release it between spiderman and rdr2? And cod and battlefield incomming as well

Orpheum

Yeah i expected it to score lower than the previous titles. And my interest level is not all that high to begin with so i'll wait for a sale

AlexxKidd

Hmm, definitely had this on my radar as I've played the first two games. Not saying I'm NOT going to play it based of this, but buying it is out of the question. Looking like I'd be better off booting up a second run through of Uncharted: Lost Legacy, but I'll remember this one when things slow down. Too much on the gaming place ATM.

dirthead

Banned
I really dont understand some companies release windows.. why release it between spiderman and rdr2? And cod and battlefield incomming as well

Yeah it's weird. The landscape will be a complete wasteland. There will be gaming droughts for months, but somehow, all the games get dumped in the fall. I'm surprised that there aren't more summer releases when kids are out of school and actually have time to play games.

Xenon

Weird Xbox version is showing a 82% on Meta critic. I dont think this will affect me since most of the points against the game are things people have been saying about the first two games.

xviper

that was unexpected, i had zero hype for the game but i expected something similar to Rise

did the developers who made TR2013 and Rise are completely different from the ones who made Shadow ? or they both worked on it ?

Yeah it's weird. The landscape will be a complete wasteland. There will be gaming droughts for months, but somehow, all the games get dumped in the fall. I'm surprised that there aren't more summer releases when kids are out of school and actually have time to play games.

Because these are the most popular months for game releases. Reason why they dont put out much games over summer is because its a vacation period, all over the world people are more focused on spending money for trips and such. The fall is when most people are back to work and school and Christmas time obviously coming very soon after. Plus you want to get your game out just before Black Friday sale while its still hot because even discounted, it will be pushing greater numbers.

sublimit

Banned
that was unexpected, i had zero hype for the game but i expected something similar to Rise

did the developers who made TR2013 and Rise are completely different from the ones who made Shadow ? or they both worked on it ?
Crystal Dynamics made TR 2013 and RotTR with some help from Eidos Montreal.
SotTR was made by Eidos Montreal with some supervision by Crystal Dynamics.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Because these are the most popular months for game releases. Reason why they dont put out much games over summer is because its a vacation period, all over the world people are more focused on spending money for trips and such. The fall is when most people are back to work and school and Christmas time obviously coming very soon after. Plus you want to get your game out just before Black Friday sale while its still hot because even discounted, it will be pushing greater numbers.

I think that's more than off set by fact that you have to compete with 800 other games.

Darak

Those reviews are strange. Some say the new underwater sections are stellar and others say it's the worst section of the game. Platforming or combat also seems to be better or worse depending on who you ask. Most say the writing and acting is even worse than previous entries. In my humble opinion, it's probably going to be more of the same, except this time the flaws will be more apparent since the novelty is no longer there.

I'm not a fan of the new series but since I finished the other two I may as well pick it up.

xviper

Crystal Dynamics made TR 2013 and RotTR with some help from Eidos Montreal.
SotTR was made by Eidos Montreal with some supervision by Crystal Dynamics.
the difference in ratings between Rise and Shadow is big

aside from the weird and huge graphical downgrade from the previous game ,something big must have been changed that ruined the game

Zewp

Hmm, pretty much what I expected. I didn't plan on getting it at release and these reviews just confirm that it's another "wait for $20" game.

It's going to be interesting to see how it fares in terms of sales. It hasn't had huge amounts of fanfare so far, so I'm curious if gamers are already tired of this particular reboot.

ROMhack

Hmm, pretty much what I expected. I didn't plan on getting it at release and these reviews just confirm that it's another "wait for $20" game.

It's going to be interesting to see how it fares in terms of sales. It hasn't had huge amounts of fanfare so far, so I'm curious if gamers are already tired of this particular reboot.

I suspect it will. I don't think its fanbase are the types who go around posting on online forums but I've no doubt the series has its fair share of fans. It's the type of game my dad would buy in all honesty.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is pretty surprising. I expected low to mid 80s. I'm shocked it released this fall though. Tomb Raider is very much of a game that would do great in a time of the year...not right before huge releases.

This is what I was thinking. I thought it'll score similar to most Assassin Creed games.

sublimit

Banned
the difference in ratings between Rise and Shadow is big

aside from the weird and huge graphical downgrade from the previous game ,something big must have been changed that ruined the game
From what little i had the stomach to read and listen they are mostly complaining about the story,characters and pace. I think the telegraph also said that the platforming (lol) was a bit buggy.The combat is more of the same and puzzles are more interesting than before.

I would honestly suggest to not trust reviewers especially when it comes to TR (regardless if they are negative or positive) and go with your gut. If you enjoyed the previous 2 games and want more of the same i think you'll like SotTR.

Top Bottom