• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow warrior 2 footage from pax

MiguelItUp

Loved the original, loved the last game, and surely I'll love this one as well. Looks like chaotic fun, and good god is it gorgeous!

Dahaka

Almost 20years ago when I played SW and it became my favorite before the Duke I could never fathom during the later years where a sequel was totally out of the question, that there would be a day where the Duke is not only gone but also extremely badly sent off while SW would revive in good hands. Unbelievable after so many years.

mcz117chief

Huge dissapointment that the levels are Randomly generated.

It's a design choice. There will be a considerable amount of loot and they want to make the game feel unique every time you play it. I am glad that they are going this route, the story is still there though, so I expect that there will be only some parts that will be randomly generated and other that will be fixed.

God damn this looks good! Loved the first one and it's easily the best modern re imagining of an old school shooter classic. Super hyped for this one.

One of my favourite FPSs of all time has random generation (SWAT 4), it was to do with enemy placement. Even that was limited to just less than a handful of variations.

If they're using random generation to give replay value like when you restart after dying or playing co-op and the AI feels different each time much like a L4D experience rather than enemy scripting that you can just memorise, fine by me. Also, different weather/TOD is always awesome. The level layout probably won't be that random like if you compare it to roguelite games. And hey, you didn't notice it from watching footage, so...

“The levels are randomly generated,” Paweł Kowalewski, one of the game designers of Shadow Warrior 2, told me at PAX.

“If you look around,” he said, turning to face the several people playing the game on different screens behind us, “everyone is playing the same mission, but each of them is playing on a slightly different level layout, or in different weather conditions or a different time of day. So, we want to keep the experience fresh, whenever you’re replaying the same mission, or restarting your game.”​

www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/04/24/pax-east-16-shadow-warrior-2-preview-intelligent-design-ps4/

Oneself

I like how they approach the randomly generated levels and hope it works well.
I normally don't like randomly generated levels as it generally sucks, big time.

Well, same with open world and most random rogue something games... So maybe I'm part of a minority.

Justinh

I'm pretty stoked for this. I really liked the first one even though I never finished it, and I was a fan of the original back in the day.
I got the first game on steam when it was fairly new, and Best Buy was selling brand new copies of the game for X1 and PS4 for 8 bucks for a while so I grabbed a physical copy. Doesn't look like the carry it anymore (other than used copies).

Floating numbers? thatsmyfetish.gif

Yeah, not a fan of random levels, but hopefully the way they pull it off is good.

Nordicus

I do hope the main bosses are better and more varied than most of those in Shadow Warrior 1 were.

Half of the weapons were straight up useless against them. And it was always the same ones

A-V-B

“The levels are randomly generated,” Paweł Kowalewski, one of the game designers of Shadow Warrior 2, told me at PAX.

“If you look around,” he said, turning to face the several people playing the game on different screens behind us, “everyone is playing the same mission, but each of them is playing on a slightly different level layout, or in different weather conditions or a different time of day. So, we want to keep the experience fresh, whenever you’re replaying the same mission, or restarting your game.”​

Well, that's different! That's not random level generation, is it? They're creating a bit of random variation, but generation is something else.

One of my favourite FPSs of all time has random generation (SWAT 4), it was to do with enemy placement. Even that was limited to just less than a handful of variations.

If they're using random generation to give replay value like when you restart after dying or playing co-op and the AI feels different each time much like a L4D experience rather than enemy scripting that you can just memorise, fine by me. Also, different weather/TOD is always awesome. The level layout probably won't be that random like if you compare it to roguelite games. And hey, you didn't notice it from watching footage, so...

www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/04/24/pax-east-16-shadow-warrior-2-preview-intelligent-design-ps4/

Thx for that. That sounds so much better than some sort of rogue like thing.

KKRT00

They talked about random generation year ago. In general, some parts of the world have randomly generated layouts to make game more replayable, but some, more story focused are always the same.

In a game like this good level design is not that crucial, especially with a moveset they're giving out. What is the most crucial is the enemy design, density and balance.

----
Oh. I'm out, then.

Posts like this are hilarious.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ohh I for a second there mixed it up with Rogue Warrior. Now I'm fucking pissed as fuckin shit. Thanks a fucking lot you mother fuckers for fucking making think this fucking game was that fucking game. Fuck.

Rathorial

Not a fan of the open ended levels. It looks like a more densely packed Serious Sam level than something you'd see in the 90s Shadow Warrior.

Still better than their approach last game of pretty linear spaces with few secrets or reasons to explore vs. the 90s original. Level design was the weakest part of Flying Wild Hog's otherwise good game.

derFeef

I never ifnished the first game because it dragged on for a little too much. But I certainly liked it very much, so looking forward to any improvmements they have in store for this.

Tain

Hoping these dudes eventually make an FPS I can get into. Shadow Warrior was way better than Hard Reset, but I still lost interest a little over halfway through.

EraErr0r1

I'm convinced they could actually make Duke Nukem cool again. Based on Shadow Warrior, you're so right - they get it.

Very much this!

Gearbox, if you're looking for a developer to legitimately outsource Duke Nukem to AND avoid another Aliens: Colonial Marines scenario, Flying Wild Hog is the answer. I feel they'd actually interpret the ip correctly and develop the key fundamentals to what made it great in the first place.

Imagine an alternate reality where Duke Nukem Forever released with even the caliber of the first Shadow Warrior reboot. (despite minor flaws) Alright I might begin to lay off the drugs a little!

All delusions aside, I'm very impressed with what I've seen of SW2. I want some more Wang.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-RGEFBJ2x8

The last shadow warrior was a pretty good game, this one looks significantly improved at first glance.
Loving the fast movement speed and the punchy gunplay.

This uses UE4 I guess? The graphics are just insane.

I thought the first game used UE3 but was told they actually use an in-house engine, so this probably does too.

Edit: They even say it's their own engine in the footage

bitbydeath

I completely forgot the reboot existed. I thought this was just a sequel to the 1997 game.

Damn, I wish.
The reboot wasn't anywhere near as good imo.
Sword is too op compared to everything else.
Humour is lacking.

Wang VA isn't even trying to sound or act like the original. (Seriously what the hell????)

And overall it just lacks variety in evironments and even the weapons don't hold a candle to the original.

No suicide guys either and the girls are just tributes to the old game and even with the same 1997 graphics.

For newcomers to the series it is probably great though....

Elixist

first one was fun, with some rough spots (powers, bosses, variety) this looks like a big improvement cant wait.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Damn, I wish.
The reboot wasn't anywhere near as good imo.
Sword is too op compared to everything else.
Humour is lacking.

Wang VA isn't even trying to sound or act like the original. (Seriously what the hell????)

And overall it just lacks variety in evironments and even the weapons don't hold a candle to the original.

No suicide guys either and the girls are just tributes to the old game and even with the same 1997 graphics.

For newcomers to the series it is probably great though....

the melee combat is part of what separates it from other games though. the original was just a re-skinned duke3d.

the melee combat is part of what separates it from other games though. the original was just a re-skinned duke3d.

Yeah, the sword is what made it so much fun and was its best asset. It seems like they made the shooting that much better so far for the sequel (which is great).

bitbydeath

And still better than 99% of todays shooters :p
Also the original had decent sword melee but the other weapons were just as fun to use.

Top Bottom