• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior for PS4 out now – any good?

How bad is screen tearing ? Does a FOV slider make any difference ?

Apparently this game has more optional settings than usual on consoles. So maybe you can turn off something or lower FOV to reduce & remove tearing ?

Can someone with PS4 ver. try this ?

I hate tearing.... Watched some streams and as soon there's some action tearing is all over the place : (

I just won't support such bad ports, got burned bad with Evil Within.

It´s a pretty good game, the story is surprinsingly good, specially the last half, the combat is pretty fun and the sword is amazing, slashing demons never gets old, the powers are fun to use and the shooting is fine, it gets a little repetitive towards the end, and it´s not very hard i only found myself in some trouble in an arena towards the end of the game due to the number of enemies, wich can be seen as an improvement or not depending if you liked the combat in hard reset (that game has some pretty rough fights), is a really good game overall, and remember shoot the rabbits for some additional fun or maybe not

S1kkZ

How bad is screen tearing ? Does a FOV slider make any difference ?

Apparently this game has more optional settings than usual on consoles. So maybe you can turn off something or lower FOV to reduce & remove tearing ?

Can someone with PS4 ver. try this ?

the fov slider has no effect on framerate or tearing. i played until chapter 4 and the tearing gets worse over time, since the game throws more enemies at you. it doesnt affect the gameplay but yeah, if you hate tearing (like me), it sucks.

game itself is awesome and a ton of fun, but the technical issues really drag it down. but if you are insensitive to tearing, you will be fine.

Farslain

Excellent game.

However after paying £19.99 for the Steam version, £34.99 for the PS4 version can eat the peanuts out of my shit.

So it's hard to recommend at full price.

Rented it, just beat the first stage. (about an hour in because I searched everything lol).

Wow had no idea this was getting a physical release. I had assumed it was digital only. Might look out for a physical copy once it gets a bit cheaper

KKRT00

It's an all right FPS but you'd beat it in about 7 hours and there's no replayability.

What a load of bullshit.
Highest difficulty setting:
ibn3IJaWtdSEjF.jpg

Game also has two new game plus modes and Challenge mode.

My impressions after finishing the game are here.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85589713&postcount=241

As per the length of the game, I like howlongtobeat.com, it's not perfect of course but a good resource

I included the original Shadow Warrior because that one took about 8 hours to beat it looks like but the newer one is much longer

Oscar

Wow had no idea this was getting a physical release. I had assumed it was digital only. Might look out for a physical copy once it gets a bit cheaper
Yup, it's $39.99 at my rental store. Will probably be like $25 on Black Friday.

Game seems fairly short. 15 real chapters (not counting the boss-only chapters), and I'm on chapter 7 after only about 5-6 hours while playing in a slow pace.

I've only played the PC version and it's good but too damn long.
I got to chapter 9 (of 17 or something I think) in the game before I got tired. I put in about 40min-1hr per chapter.

Probably my only complaint about the game. Its a top notch game, but it makes the mistake of not knowing when its audience has had enough. 12 hours wouldve been perfect, but i think it was close to 20 to finish, and just got quite repetitive by the end. Still, a fantastic old school FPS tho.

DocSeuss

Anyone play it yet? I'm a bit curious about it, but I can't find any reviews. Also, I never played the original so nostalgia won't work on me. Still curious though.

OP, Shadow Warrior was the best video game released in 2013.

But it is best with a mouse and keyboard.

bj00rn_

Banned
What a load of bullshit

Yeah, this is definitely not an "7 hour game", I don't know what that guy did to finish it that quickly.. I finished it in ~20 hours. But I actually wish it was 7 hours because it overstayed its welcome at the end. It's a game well worth checking out though.

the fov slider has no effect on framerate or tearing. i played until chapter 4 and the tearing gets worse over time, since the game throws more enemies at you. it doesnt affect the gameplay but yeah, if you hate tearing (like me), it sucks.

game itself is awesome and a ton of fun, but the technical issues really drag it down. but if you are insensitive to tearing, you will be fine.

Thank you, that's all I needed to hear.

Draerf

Anyone think this has the potential of being a PS+ freebie in the future? Wondering because I already have it on Steam and wanna check out the port.

eshwaaz

Damn, that really saddens me. Game looks right up my alley, but I have no tolerance for tearing. They'd even delayed the release to give them more time for refinement, but it clearly wasn't enough.

Given a choice, I'd rather have a locked 30 with no tearing than 60 with tearing.

Its a solid, 7/10 game in moderate doses. Story is surprisingly good in that Bulletstorm kinda way. Pretty bored of it by the end though. All the boss fights are trash, too.

Play it with a keyboard and mouse like Gaben intended

Oscar

Damn, that really saddens me. Game looks right up my alley, but I have no tolerance for tearing. They'd even delayed the release to give them more time for refinement, but it clearly wasn't enough.

Given a choice, I'd rather have a locked 30 with no tearing than 60 with tearing.
Yeah if you cause an explosion with more than 4 enemies near it, the game literally freezes for 1.0-1.5 seconds. Sounds nitpicky but it gets annoying during hectic battles.

Denton

One of the best shooters, just brilliant. Only played PC version though. Story is really good and touching, and banter was awesome.

So, has anyone played the Xbox One version at all? I'd rather get it there if the tearing and stuff isn't present there.

It's a long shot I guess, but stranger things have happened. Could really use a Digital Foundry article on this.

MDSLKTR

I've only played the PC version and it's good but too damn long.
I got to chapter 9 (of 17 or something I think) in the game before I got tired. I put in about 40min-1hr per chapter.

Same I got two or three levels left before putting it down, it got really repetitive fighting the same ennemies non stop. But one day I`ll get back to it, it's fun

Playing on Xbox One right now. It's pretty awesome, have run into a few minor graphical bugs, and there's some frame dropping during giant battles when tons of explosions are going off, but it still looks great and runs smoothly aside from that.

Have not noticed any tearing yet.

YOU NO MESS WITH LO WANG

Playing on Xbox One right now. It's pretty awesome, have run into a few minor graphical bugs, and there's some frame dropping during giant battles when tons of explosions are going off, but it still looks great and runs smoothly aside from that.

Have not noticed any tearing yet.

YOU NO MESS WITH LO WANG

No tearing? Very interesting.

I bought the PS4 version...but I may have to return it for the Xbox One version if we get a few more impressions like this.

Oneself

Performance on PS4 is pretty similar "tearing wise" to Sniper Elite 3 (PS4 version).
Other than that, it's still a pretty game and it runs 90% of the time @ 60fps.

Most importantly, it's a really fun old school fps with a long single player campaign, tons of easter eggs, great controls and has an option menu that puts 99% of the console games to shame (just missing a v-sync option though). IMO, it's worth the 40$CAD

Mr. Tibbs

Two reviews from Metro and Video Gamer.

Shadow Warrior runs at 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One. Both versions target 60fps, but in testing the PS4 game offers a more consistent frame rate, although both suffer from drops in more hectic battles. The PS4 is certainly the nicest looking console version of the game.

Something of a disappointment is the long load times between stages, and the pauses mid-level as the game does a kind of mini load. Neither of these things feel particularly next-gen, although they can be stomached as long as you don't die too often.

The load times sound like a bit of a bummer. I don't remember that being a problem on the pc. Still, looking forward to playing through this again. I absolutely loved it last year (best shooter of 2013!).

Best modern FPS game I've played.

And I know I'm going to ruffle a lot of feathers here but far better than Wolfenstein: The New Order.

omonimo

Banned

Oh God, damn tearing. I was interested, but I hate so much tearing.

I've updated the game in my database with these preliminary results. Those with the game on Xbox and/or PS4, could you confirm if the tearing happens in the center of the screen, or if it is mostly in the top area so it's not so visible? From the video I take it's probably in the kiddle, but I am on holiday and don't have fast internet here ...

Top Bottom