• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned $39.96 at Fry's Electronics BOMBA SUDA51 AM CRY

Himself

Teknoman said:
Everyone needs to buy this now.

You've got Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame for music and sound.
Suda 51 for script
Mikami for gameplay design suggestions
And the director Massimo Guarini, isnt that bad either.

Everything in this game is excellent aside from no new game + option (so far).

I just want to back this up. I payed full price for it and do not feel ripped off in the slightest. The soundtrack has somehow left Portal 2's in the dust (and that was amazing!) and there is a constant flow of surprises and scenarios to keep the game feeling fresh yet unified. I'm about 5 hours in and I've already got my $60. Any one who is talking about this game as if it's a half-assed effort or has a low budget/production value feel either hasn't played the game or can't accurately articulate what it is they didn't like about it.

I feel it may end up like a Vanquish or something when eventually everyone catches on after the price has dropped, units have failed to move, and are like, "Hey, this is great! So, any chance of a sequel? No?! Why not?!"...

I'd pay $60 for this. Alice is worth $40, if you ask me. Just because it has no multiplayer doesn't mean it should be priced less anyway. I'm probably picking Shadows up for a friend whose birthday is this week, and would buy it for myself if I had enough money. Can't say the same about Alice, sadly.

By the way, multiplayer is not a necessary factor and not every game needs it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
.JayZii said:
I just meant all the people who had no idea the game is out; I always assume people on GAF are up to the minute about everything. There's even a fairly large thread about it on these forums, so it's just weird that so many people missed it.

Oh, yeah. It is a little surprising. Thanks for clarifying.

Montresor

Wait, there are people that actually think every game needs multiplayer to be worth $60? Is this why my Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Bishock 2 have dumbass tacked-on multiplayer achievements? Get the fuck out of here.

Shadows of the Damned is this year's GOTY so far and everyone should buy it. The game is of top notch quality. It's an unbelievably good Resident Evil 4 spinoff, in a sense. It plays almost exactly like RE4, just with a bad ass, hilarious Mexican protagonist, lots of low brow humour, and tons and tons of demons and sexy blonde bombshell and crazy gore. The game has incredibly tight controls. Garcia Hotspur moves just the way you want him to. Right after I beat Shadows, in various third-person action games I'd always constantly mash the A button on my 360 to turn 180 degrees, but none of those games have anything like that (Assassin's Creed and Gears, namely). That goes to show you how useful something like that is. The music is also incredible. Mmmm, I just adore that start-up menu music, the slow guitar notes playing over and over.

Magnifico!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I was at a Best Buy around 2 weeks ago

This game was on the shelves, I was like it already released? o_O?

Picked it up to read the back and it was the the game, thought it was a place holder or some shit

$59.99, my baby bro was with me and goes, buying it?, I go nah watch it be $40 in 2 weeks, and $20 in a month and a half

Damn!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
hey_it's_that_dog said:
The game looks technically subpar. Put it next to any other UE game releasing this year and it looks technically worse (on console, I'm not even comparing to PC). I'm not shitting on the art direction; I like it well enough. I've only heard a little of the writing in footage that has been released and it was uniformly cringe-inducing. There's probably a lot more to it than that, so I'll withhold judgment on that aspect.

Well, I'm not that big on consoles especially when it comes to UE3 games, but Enslaved looked worse (and ran worse) and Bulletstorm looked on par with it if we talk about image quality.

edit: WAIT, you haven't played the game? hahaha, why do I even bother discussing its technical aspects with you.

Top Bottom