• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned $39.96 at Fry's Electronics BOMBA SUDA51 AM CRY

Hmm. I can understand your reasoning, but I'd like to think both could have been reasonably successful with some marketing. And spacing out.
I think of Epic Mickey, I wonder how bad it could have bombed if it wasn't pushed despite every odds being against it.

Wow, I'd never heard of this game before spoting this thread and I'm a huge fan of Suda and Mikami. Either I'm really not keeping up with game announcements anymore or someone sucks at promoting their game.

Lesiroth

Phenomic said:
For some reason at least on GAF this seems to be a huge problem. No one knows this game released yet. Someone screwed up with marketing.
You can't screw up marketing if it doesn't exist.

Saint Gregory said:
Wow, I'd never heard of this game before spoting this thread and I'm a huge fan of Suda and Mikami. Either I'm really not keeping up with game announcements anymore or someone sucks at promoting their game.
both. I stopped playing HD games on 2007, yet I knew when it was going to get released. But many don't.

Rebel against the dudebros control of the market and buy this game.
you will lose even if you try that in your dreams, I am pretty sure you will, they are inside your mind, their fear, their horror, their power, their resent, everything!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Revolutionary said:
Good job on that marketing, EA.

Alice Madness Returns got zero marketing too, if EA keep doing this then I feel sorry for all future games in their partners program‎.

walking fiend said:
both. I stopped playing HD games on 2007, yet I knew when it was going to get released. But many don't.
You're probably right but I do kind of remember something about Suda working on a PS360 game years ago but I didn't see one thing about this game during the E3 coverage so I thought it got scrapped.

It doesn't really have his usual visual style so maybe I saw it and just didn't have any idea what it was.
dragonflys545 said:
$40 still a bit too much for me. I still have Vanquish wrapped i purchase at launch lol :(
You sound a lot like me, I have Vanquish, NMH2 and a host of other games waiting to get unwrapped. I'm just starting Darksiders.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think such fuck ups are the reason why EA are in red for like 4th year straight.

G.O.O.

Cow Mengde said:
WTF, this game is out? When did it come out?
I keep reading this and it depresses me. :(

What doesn't depresses me is the autograph I got from Suda today, while having no ticket for it. <3
He wasn't crying

Adam J.

I would buy the hell out of this game if I wasn't broke right now. Hope I can still find a good deal on it next week when I get paid.

Gigglepoo

Y2Kev said:
For whatever reason, EA decided to cut ties with both this and Alice. I don't really get it. I mean, okay, Alice I get. But this could easily be turned into a small hit. Not like the dev budget was huge...and it's a shooter.

Ultimately, I think Alice Madness Returns had a better shot of succeeding at retail because it has name recognition. New IPs rarely sell in this industry, and bizarre games have even a tougher time getting people interested. Shadows of the Damned was doomed from the beginning, which is why I'm shocked it even exists. But I'm glad both games somehow got made and released because they're both great.

eXistor

Just dropped in to say: buy it. It's probably the most shameless fun you'll have with a game this year.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gigglepoo said:
Ultimately, I think Alice Madness Returns had a better shot of succeeding at retail because it has name recognition. New IPs rarely sell in this industry, and bizarre games have even a tougher time getting people interested. Shadows of the Damned was doomed from the beginning, which is why I'm shocked it even exists. But I'm glad both games somehow got made and released because they're both great.

Shadows of the Damned has super ultra mega famous directors all over it ,they can market it as twisted RE4 or something, and it's a shooter, so there is a market for it ,Alice on the other hand are niches 3D platformer and only small cult care and know about the original one.

ShaunBRS

If 90% of GAF didn't even know the game was out (a week after the fact, no less), it was pretty much DOA. There were people coming into the OT who didn't even know it existed.

EA was stupid to release both games within a week of each other (or barely) Should of been spaced out, and one should of probably came out around Halloween. Come to think of it, Alice would of been good around Easter perhaps.
It's worse with Shadows. I met the agent that reps the designers and everything.

Gigglepoo

Totobeni said:
Shadows of the Damned has super ultra mega famous directors all over it ,they can market it as twisted RE4 or something, and it's a shooter, so there is a market for it ,Alice on the other hand are niches 3D platformer and only small cult care and know about the original one.

I'm not sure how much weight Suda's and Mikami's names carry. Other than RE1/4, I don't think Mikami has released a successful game, and Suda's biggest hit is, um, No More Heroes? Maybe? They're two of my favorite designers (in one game!), but I don't think most people care.

Phenomic said:
For some reason at least on GAF this seems to be a huge problem. No one knows this game released yet. Someone screwed up with marketing.

EA can mass market their sports titles, but not a game made by two legendary Japanese game makers? WTF. I haven't seen a billboard or commercial.

Wario64 said:
I don't understand this.

I don't know about digital only, but if it released with any marketing at all at $40 retail + digital, I think it would've been more successful in the short term.

subversus

Freedom = $1.05 said:
How are they going to market bf3 if they spend money on titles like this game and Alice? You guys need to see the big picture. EA gets it.

then DON'T FUND THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE ffs.

subversus

"-but how do you know?! It's a top secret demonic stuff!
-not on the internet"

Dascu

overcast said:
What is this? Suda is attached to it?
Goichi Suda wrote the script, Akira Yamaoka handled the sound and music, Shinji Mikami had input on the gameplay design and Massimo Guarini directed the game.

subversus said:
he's the director.
No, he isn't.

overcast

Dascu said:
Goichi Suda wrote the script, Akira Yamaoka handled the sound and music, Shinji Mikami had input on the gameplay design and Massimo Guarini directed the game.

No, he isn't.
Wow. How have I not heard of this? I feel like a disgrace.

Fox Mulder

Gamebaron said:
EA can mass market their sports titles, but not a game made by two legendary Japanese game makers? WTF. I haven't seen a billboard or commercial.

I haven't even seen it in a retail store yet. Walmart, Best Buy, and Target don't even have it here, and not because it's flying off shelves. So I wonder if it's a low run in addition to no marketing.

EA Partners, the future of gaming.

Top Bottom