• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawshank Redemption is the best movie ever made IMO. What's yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months back I did a thread on scariest movies ever made and really enjoyed seeing everyone's responses and learning about new ones I have never seen.

As far as best movies of any genre, Shawshank is mine, everything about it sucks me in. From the acting, to the story, the casting and character development throughout the whole movie. One of the few movies I can watch no matter what scene it is in and be fully immersed in it.

There a lot of other things I love but don't want to spoil the movie for anyone who has not seen it.

So Gaf, what's the best movie ever made in your opinion?

Vinci

Danish
Mine is incredibly common, I imagine:

The Godfather

Part I, not Part II. Though II loses by a very small margin.

There's a lot of criteria that could go into that question.

In terms of movies that decidedly showed exactly that which they set out to show, I would say Dr. Strangelove.

FloatOn

Big Fish

tumblr_meie18Pzsu1rctctpo2_500.gif

Runner up: The Fountain

tumblr_lizqclN5mQ1qcupmyo1_500.gif

Powercast

I came out of There Will Be Blood thinking it was the best movie I've ever seen. I didn't even know who PTA was at the time lol and now he's my favorite director. A masterpiece.

ScOULaris

When forced to pick just one all-time favorite, I tend to go with Saving Private Ryan. Of course, there are dozens of films also vying for that spot.

Lawrence of Arabia. It's scale is so much bigger than modern movies. Special effects mostly consisted of doing the actual thing and just film it, be it derailing of trains or giant cavalry charges against a city. Every shot is worthy of being framed on a wall.

Fargo_Dog

Banned
It's a five way toss up between Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Metropolis, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and 2001.

Though my favourite is Oldboy.

SheHateMe

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies of all time... but I'm hesitant to call it the best movie ever made.

This is a topic that I really gotta think about. I'll give an answer later on.

Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Love, Romance, Action, Suspense, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Memorable Lines, Beautiful Cinematography, Great Performances, etc. etc.

It's perfect.

Mine is incredibly common, I imagine:

The Godfather

Part I, not Part II. Though II loses by a very small margin.

Came here to post this. Part I is better than Part II. I'm not a fan of them moving to Vegas but the flashbacks are my favorite part. However, Part I is consistently fantastic from start to finish.

Acorn

Came here to post this. Part I is better than Part II. I'm not a fan of them moving to Vegas but the flashbacks are my favorite part. However, Part I is consistently fantastic from start to finish.
God damn Brando for being a dick about doing the flashbacks.

Edit not young vito.

Ayumi

The Shawshank Redemption is an amazing movie, definitely on my top 5 list!

But my absolute favorite.. it's a tie between Gran Torino and Léon.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

I find it endlessly re-watchable and, well... perfect. I think very highly of The Two Towers and Return of the King as well, and while Return of the King is certainly the grandest and most emotional of the lot, for me Fellowship takes the cake because even when it's over, it feels like things have just gotten started and it always leaves me with a good feeling that this story and these characters aren't done and it just makes me want to rewatch it again.

I also had the pleasure of having no expectations when I went to see it. I had only heard of the series but I didn't know much if anything about it. That first theatrical showing was rather shocking to say the least. My friend and I walked out of it utterly speechless as neither one of us had any concept of what we were about to see. There are other stories out there that I probably like more, but in terms of quality, fleshed out story, characters, environments, details, art direction, soundtrack, and just stellar filmmaking in general, it's easily one of the best of the genre.

I hate picking "best movie ever" because there are several that could honestly make the cut. But as the cliche goes, if I were stuck on an island and could only take one film with me, it'd be this one.

lazygecko

I thought Papillon was a way better prison movie than Shawshank. That whole movie, while good, just reeks of modern Oscar bait to me.

I can never pick a one true favorite without feeling disingenuous because there's always going to be something that is better in different aspects. But for a movie where the whole complete package just feels excellent, I'd go with RoboCop.

Too many diverse great movies to pick one over all the others. When a movie passes a certain threshold to become a classic I'd just rather not judge it against other movies.

Usobuko

Banned
Harakiri
A Page of Madness
Wild Strawberries
A Woman Under the Influence
Farväl Falkenberg
Scenes from a Marriage
The Third Man
Time of the Gypsies

Movie buff, is this list good?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_poster.jpg

or

Back_to_the_Future.jpg

So many great movies to pick from sheesh

The Godfather
Raiders of the Lost Arc
The Third Man - This movie was so incredible
Shawshank Redemption

Moff

my personal favourite is a clockwork orange but in my opinion The Godfather is the best movie ever made.

mp1990

Banned
It's a hard question,because i didn't see a lot of movies,and my favorite changes with my mood,probably if you made this thread tomorrow my answer would be different
it would be Easy A certainly
. But,my favorite,and one of the movies that really touched me,was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom