• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 delayed to 2019

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I really hope Deep Silver and Sony throw some money at advertising this thing.

I really hope Deep Silver and Sony throw some money at advertising this thing.

Sony has already stated their position.

So otherwise this is looking like a Mighty No.9 like situation. Hopefully we won't have to make our own retail box this time though. :0

BANGS

Banned
Yes, they own the IP.
But they don't own this game... or really have anything to do with it outside of the IP... and if you're just referring to the IP ownership then I'm confused as to where the MN9 analogy comes in since that wasn't a big name's IP or anything...

But they don't own this game... or really have anything to do with it outside of the IP... and if you're just referring to the IP ownership then I'm confused as to where the MN9 analogy comes in since that wasn't a big name's IP or anything...

Yes however, the uh, Kickstarter, the delays, the lack of reasoning, and some other variables surrounding this game are very similar to the scam- er, badly received, MN9 was.

The only difference is that if Shenmue 3 ends up disappointing fans will likely blame Sega for it. Something MN9 couldn't do to Capcom. In fact, already some people blame the current Shenmue 3 situation on Sega for "not helping fund it" so I fully expect Sega to get the blame and Yu and DS to get a pass if the game ends up bad. imo.

BANGS

Banned
Yes however, the uh, Kickstarter, the delays, the lack of reasoning, and some other variables surrounding this game are very similar to the scam- er, badly received, MN9 was.

The only difference is that if Shenmue 3 ends up disappointing fans will likely blame Sega for it. Something MN9 couldn't do to Capcom. In fact, already some people blame the current Shenmue 3 situation on Sega for "not helping fund it" so I fully expect Sega to get the blame and Yu and DS to get a pass if the game ends up bad. imo.
You're very out of touch with how the shenmue community is treating this game, and it's development progress. The delays have been expected, the progress has been acceptable, and only the stupidest fans could possibly blame SEGA for this... it's nothing like the mighty number 9 situation. The only possible parallel is if it launches and is ass...

You're very out of touch with how the shenmue community is treating this game,..

Irrelevant. The Sega and "of interest" community is mad at them and that's the group the game needs to sell to in order to succeed. It's slowly spreading as if this will be another MN9 similar situation (not exactly the same) and yes some have blamed Sega for not backing it over the last few years. Whether or not the core Shenmue community may or may not isn't relevant when the game comes out. Assuming it does, in 2019.

Boss Mog

Shenmue 3 Passport Mode Screenshot:
igZJYJE.jpg

I wish...

BANGS

Banned
Irrelevant. The Sega and "of interest" community is mad at them and that's the group the game needs to sell to in order to succeed. It's slowly spreading as if this will be another MN9 similar situation (not exactly the same) and yes some have blamed Sega for not backing it over the last few years. Whether or not the core Shenmue community may or may not isn't relevant when the game comes out. Assuming it does, in 2019.
What are you talking about? The "of interest" community IS the Shenmue community, nobody else gives a shit about this game. You're being out of touch is very relevant now, because as it stands you're not making any sense. Also nobody(or more accurately, very few people) is mad about Shenmue 3 delays or Sega's non-involvement, we all understand completely why these things are happening the way they are. You're speaking for people you don't understand...

This is completely different from the MN9 situation, where pretty much everything went sour really quickly. Right away there were delays for this basic ass game with shitty graphics, and people got worried immediately. It's not even comparable. Again, the only way you can compare this is if it releases and it sucks just like MN9 did, but I have a feeling fans are gonna gush all over it no matter how bad it is...

Shenmue fans are a weird bunch. The remasters came out and were complete shit but they defended them and treated all criticism against them like the plague. This will be funny to see how this goes next August...

Last edited:
What are you talking about? The "of interest" community IS the Shenmue community, nobody else gives a shit about this game.

Which is a problem based on what we were told on how the game would be designed and it would be a kind of bigger title. So if you remove people that were interested or leaning that weren't part of the community Shenmue fans won't be getting anymore Shenmue in the near future. That's the part you don't seem to be getting. For these game to actually succeed the Shenmue community is not relevant. They need others interested in the game. And those people are treating it like it's a MN9 like semi-scam and all you have to do is look around and you'll see people kind of shrugging at some of the news that's been coming out including this recent one.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I thought they wouldn't waste money with english voices this time. But I guess I was wrong. I just want the controls and gameplay to be really good, I don't even care about the animation anymore.

BANGS

Banned
Which is a problem based on what we were told on how the game would be designed and it would be a kind of bigger title. So if you remove people that were interested or leaning that weren't part of the community Shenmue fans won't be getting anymore Shenmue in the near future. That's the part you don't seem to be getting. For these game to actually succeed the Shenmue community is not relevant. They need others interested in the game. And those people are treating it like it's a MN9 like semi-scam and all you have to do is look around and you'll see people kind of shrugging at some of the news that's been coming out including this recent one.
That's a crazy leap of logic. You basically are saying "Shenmue 3 is a lot like MN9 because in order for Shenmue 4 to exist then some uninformed idiots who think Shenmue 3 is a lot like MN9 and don't care to educate themselves because they have zero interest in it anyways need to buy it and they won't."

Did that sum it up well enough?

Either way it makes no sense. Shenmue 4 doesn't need non-fans to exist just like Shenmue 3 didn't, and Shenmue 4 existing or not has nothing to do with a comparison to MN9 and S3... since it's not like people were talking about mighty number ten before release....

That's a crazy leap of logic. You basically are saying "Shenmue 3 is a lot like MN9 because in order for Shenmue 4 to exist..

Actually know, you're fusing two different topics together. What I'm saying is to those outside the Shenmue community Shenmue is looking like a Mighty N.9 level KICKSTARTER situation. As in, false promises, delays, lack of info, and evading direct questions, along with the assumption Shenmue 3 will release like MN9, not what was expected, not very good, and lacking.

Now of course, I don't believe this, at least not all of it, but a some people do and are making the comparison. The reason why YOU and people in the Shenmue security SHOULD CARE about those opinions is that those are the guys that need to buy the game. Otherwise whatever Shenmue 3 will be will be the last you hear the name Shenmue for a long time, or ever.

BANGS

Banned
Actually know, you're fusing two different topics together. What I'm saying is to those outside the Shenmue community Shenmue is looking like a Mighty N.9 level KICKSTARTER situation. As in, false promises, delays, lack of info, and evading direct questions, along with the assumption Shenmue 3 will release like MN9, not what was expected, not very good, and lacking.

Now of course, I don't believe this, at least not all of it,
OH okay, if that's all you were saying you should have said that from the start instead of comparing the two yourself and making yourself look as ignorant and worthy of ridicule as those people... thanks for clearing that up :)

but a some people do and are making the comparison. The reason why YOU and people in the Shenmue security SHOULD CARE about those opinions is that those are the guys that need to buy the game. Otherwise whatever Shenmue 3 will be will be the last you hear the name Shenmue for a long time, or ever.
Nah, not really, I'm not worried. Shenmue will ALWAYS be a niche game, it's themes and gameplay style will always be something that fans will enjoy and normies will scoff at. It's not an overly huge open world full of nothing but the same backflips and busywork to do with machine guns and microtransactions, so it'll never even get close to mainstream. There is absolutely nothing YSnet could do to get more people interested in this game...

The fans made Shenmue 3 a success already, and even the horrible ports. We can make 4 happen...

Last edited:
[QUOTE="BANGS, post: 253644840, member: 640608"

Nah, not really, I'm not worried. Shenmue will ALWAYS be a niche game, it's themes and gameplay style will always be something that fans will enjoy and normies will scoff at. It's not an overly huge open world full of nothing but the same backflips and busywork to do with machine guns and microtransactions, so it'll never even get close to mainstream. There is absolutely nothing YSnet could do to get more people interested in this game...

The fans made Shenmue 3 a success already, and even the horrible ports. We can make 4 happen...[/QUOTE]

One of the reasons Shenmue 2 was made because SHenmue 1 actually sold (despite supposedly not making back the money on the troubled development) so I don't know about this always a niche franchise thing.

I mean it's basically a more interactive atmospheric version of Yakuza (with different combat) I'm sure if the final product is adequate it could sell possibly over 1 million.

BANGS

Banned
One of the reasons Shenmue 2 was made because SHenmue 1 actually sold
No, they were actually developed around the same time. 2 came out less than 2 years later than the first since most of it's assets were ready to go and they just had to polish it up... and they polished it up further for xbox to appease microsoft in a big deal. That said, Shenmue sold pretty well, but not because people loved it. It sold well because it was a technical marvel and was critically praised, but most people who played it hated it...

I mean it's basically a more interactive atmospheric version of Yakuza (with different combat) I'm sure if the final product is adequate it could sell possibly over 1 million.
I don't think it could ever come close to that 1 million mark again. The technical shock is gone and it's just a "boring indy walking simulator" now in the public's eye. It's nothing like Yakuza, not even close... and this chapter takes place in very rural areas. Not really much action packed excitement to do in very rural areas to appease the general public...

No, they were actually developed around the same time. 2 came out less than 2 years later than the first since most of it's assets were ready to go and they just had to polish it up... and they polished it up further for xbox to appease microsoft in a big deal. That said, Shenmue sold pretty well, but not because people loved it. It sold well because it was a technical marvel and was critically praised, but most people who played it hated it...

I don't think it could ever come close to that 1 million mark again. The technical shock is gone and it's just a "boring indy walking simulator" now in the public's eye. It's nothing like Yakuza, not even close... and this chapter takes place in very rural areas. Not really much action packed excitement to do in very rural areas to appease the general public...

Considering rural games have been among the best selling this gen, I think you'd be surprised. The audience is there for an exploration, martial arts action game, and those who never played it know the brand name being shouted by Sega fans over the yeas. I'm sure if the game comes out, and comes out well, the possibility is there. Potentially.

Plus now the controls will likely be good this time, or at least have an option to configure.

BANGS

Banned
I'd say Ryo has some big guns. Works out every day he does. ;)
Gon...

But seriously Shenmue doesn't even focus on combat, and it looks like the combat we're gonna get is gonna be a lot less fun than it used to be(although that's just speculation)...

Last edited:

kunonabi

Considering rural games have been among the best selling this gen, I think you'd be surprised. The audience is there for an exploration, martial arts action game, and those who never played it know the brand name being shouted by Sega fans over the yeas. I'm sure if the game comes out, and comes out well, the possibility is there. Potentially.

Plus now the controls will likely be good this time, or at least have an option to configure.

I'm more inclined to believe the controls are going to be worse since they're moving away from the VF foundation but well see.

BANGS

Banned
I'm more inclined to believe the controls are going to be worse since they're moving away from the VF foundation but well see.
If you're just talking about the fighting, that's a divisive issue. I prefer the old controls but modern audiences are gonna prefer a yakuza-ish style control, which is so lame...

Kazza

If you're just talking about the fighting, that's a divisive issue. I prefer the old controls but modern audiences are gonna prefer a yakuza-ish style control, which is so lame...

From what Suzuki said about the system back in January, it doesn't sound like it'll be anything like the Yakuza system:
“I want to do something a little different with the battles,” revealed Suzuki. “When it comes to fighting, there are things that I want to make my own, so I was thinking of doing things a bit different from last time. We have been running some tests, and well, it’s not a game like Virtua Fighter that is about timing. So, I hope it will take the form of a puzzle game that anyone can play with a strong emphasis on choreography.”

The new fighting system is something that excites/worries me in equal measure. Exciting because it sounds unique (and who am I to doubt the man who created the 3D fighting genre), worried because Shenmue is a martial arts adventure game. meaning that the fighting is one of the most important parts. I'm worried it will be dumbed down too much. Only time will tell...

BANGS

Banned
From what Suzuki said about the system back in January, it doesn't sound like it'll be anything like the Yakuza system:
“I want to do something a little different with the battles,” revealed Suzuki. “When it comes to fighting, there are things that I want to make my own, so I was thinking of doing things a bit different from last time. We have been running some tests, and well, it’s not a game like Virtua Fighter that is about timing. So, I hope it will take the form of a puzzle game that anyone can play with a strong emphasis on choreography.”

The new fighting system is something that excites/worries me in equal measure. Exciting because it sounds unique (and who am I to doubt the man who created the 3D fighting genre), worried because Shenmue is a martial arts adventure game. meaning that the fighting is one of the most important parts. I'm worried it will be dumbed down too much. Only time will tell...
Honestly when I read him saying that the first time, the first thing that popped into my head was yakuza and it's heat system lol. But really it could be fucking anything, and I agree I'm a bit worried myself...

Toe-Knee

Honestly when I read him saying that the first time, the first thing that popped into my head was yakuza and it's heat system lol. But really it could be fucking anything, and I agree I'm a bit worried myself...
First thing that popped into my head was long qte sequences with flashy fights going on that you have little control over but it will be more like a martial arts movie visually.

Azelover

Give us gameplay footage Yu Suzuki, please.. I wanna know, or have an idea of how this thing is gonna play. That's all I care about..

Azelover

Supposedly in March we're getting a nice update, praying for some actual gameplay...
Yes I heard. I feel like they're listening to all the complaining over the animation, and the gameplay isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Kazza

Glad to see them making an effort at promoting this in China. Since this is set in China, I believe it could have good sales there (not too many non-ancient era games are set in China). I wish they had gone the extra mile and produced a Chinese dub. Although it would add to the cost, Chinese voice actors can't cost too much, and the Chinese gamers are really appreciative of these kind of efforts, especially so few developers do it (they were really happy with the recent Two Point Hospital Chinese dub).

BANGS

Banned
Looks like they're really going for that traditional horrible voice acting. This idiot is complaining about a 6 hour work day while bragging that he recorded a stupid amount of lines in that time. That's over 3 lines per minute. They're rushing through it and it's gonna sound just as bad as the old games if you're into that sort of thing...

23sb71oaif521.png

Kazza

Looks like they're really going for that traditional horrible voice acting. This idiot is complaining about a 6 hour work day while bragging that he recorded a stupid amount of lines in that time. That's over 3 lines per minute. They're rushing through it and it's gonna sound just as bad as the old games if you're into that sort of thing...

23sb71oaif521.png

Let's not be too hasty! That doesn't necessarily mean they are rushing through it. Those 1,200 lines could actually be 10 takes of 120 actual in-game lines. Also, some of the lines will be very short ("um", "I see", "Ah, good!"). So long as Yu keeps away from the studio and lets to pros get on with it then I will remain optimistic. The dub doesn't have to be great. So long as it's not embarrassingly bad, then I'll be satisfied.

BANGS

Banned
Let's not be too hasty! That doesn't necessarily mean they are rushing through it. Those 1,200 lines could actually be 10 takes of 120 actual in-game lines. Also, some of the lines will be very short ("um", "I see", "Ah, good!"). So long as Yu keeps away from the studio and lets to pros get on with it then I will remain optimistic. The dub doesn't have to be great. So long as it's not embarrassingly bad, then I'll be satisfied.
Honestly I'm probably only gonna play in English once or might even youtube some scenes just for the goofy novelty, but I've never really liked the English dubs. The second game especially was extremely awful. I'll stick to Japanese...

But as far as to why I assumed it's being rushed. it's because he's gloating it's some kind of record. Now, I can't imagine he's the most efficient voice actor in the world, nor do I have much confidence that his director is the most efficient voice acting director in the world, so there's gotta be another reason for his record breaking performance... the only thing that comes to mind is rushing through it...

Last edited:

Azelover

Looks good.. now, where's gameplay?

Game is gonna come out in just a few months, and we don't know how it plays..

Top Bottom