• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Steiner

It'd be better if non-emulated shots were used in all those games...
I didn't actually notice that, truth be told. Just thought it was a really interesting read even though I've been a fan of the series since it's original release. Will probably be quite insightful for some people I imagine.

inner-G

Banned
I'm guessing the entire game will take place in remote village, instead of part of the city in Hong Kong, or another Chinese city?
Yeah, as someone who didn't finish 2, will this one more likely be in Japan or Hong Kong again? (Having both would be best of course)

I think it's just the reward tiers hindering backers at the moment. More high tier options are needed and I know they said it's not happening at this time, but a physical PS4 tier would definitely see a surge. Throw in some special edition variants at higher tiers and the pledges would pour in.

Brb, gonna email Yu my $1000 Fuku-San Punching Bag concept.

tPRCcrD.jpg

Omikaru

I wish they'd enrich the game more holistically, though, rather than having tiered stretch goals for each town. It could mean one of the earlier in-game towns has a lot of detail, while later ones do not. Strikes me as absurd, and I'd prefer it if they had a stretch goal for "Minigames X5 in every town", and then "Special Mission in every town: In Baisha it will be infiltration, and so on", so the game feels balanced as you travel through each town.

That's not even getting into the fact that these stretch goals feel kinda abstract, rather than tangible. As a backer of the game and Shenmue megafan, I am keen to see the towns expand, but for someone who hasn't played Shenmue before, these mean nothing to them. At this point, the Kickstarter needs to appeal to these people.

They need diagrams, written explanations, and perhaps even video examples of similar things in Shenmue I & II to show how these kinds of things add detail to and enrich the game world, and that they are worth throwing money at.

Also, going by these stretch goals it's safe to assume that it's going to cost $1m-1.5m to flesh out each town fully. That means Suzuki wants $3-4.5m to do all three. Add onto the fact that we need another $500k for the Rapport and Skill Tree, and it's looking like this Kickstarter will need another $3.5-5m just for Suzuki's full vision to be realised.

I know we've had an explosive start to this Kickstarter, and these things typically slow down after a day or two, but can anyone really see this game raking in an extra $3.5-5m via crowdfunding in its current form?

Not having any single tier have a physical copy for the PS4 just feels like a huge missed opportunity, like I wonder how many people who opted for the $29 backer pledge would upgrade if there was a physical option for $60, or get people to pledge that tier in general to get a copy?

With Bloodstained more people opted for the physical tier than the digital tier.

chrono01

Still no stretch goal for a physical PS4 copy :(

Also, what are the cinema shorts? I kind of just want a movie of 2 akin to what they did with the first game.
Yeah, I'm really disappointed to see no physical PS4 copy still. This is what is going to make me downgrade my pledge from $300, it's that important to me.

I'd really like to know what the hold-up is. Sony has already said that they're funding the game, so no surprise there. They're already printing physical copies for the PC version, so it's not as though they're making it a digital-only title. I'm curious as to why they're singling the PS4 out as a digital-only platform. :/

Yeah, I'm really disappointed to see no physical PS4 copy still. This is what is going to make me downgrade my pledge from $300, it's that important to me.

I'd really like to know what the hold-up is. Sony has already said that they're funding the game, so no surprise there. They're already printing physical copies for the PC version, so it's not as though they're making it a digital-only title. I'm curious as to why they're singling the PS4 out as a digital-only platform. :/

Probably prohibitive publishing costs for a PS4 disc release but, now, I can definitely see Sony doing a retail run. Whether or not it makes to to a reward tier is another matter, but there's no way this won't get a physical PS4 release.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I can't think of any good reason for why they wouldn't, honestly.

todd360

Gonna pledge $29 right now. Also going to watch a lets play of the first two games.

Edit: I have done my part as a gamer and a human being.

Furoba

I wonder if my VMU savestates will carry over... xD

Also, new FAQ:

Will the graphics be improved?

The screenshots and images posted are still in the early stages of development, and will continue to be improved. Please help spread the word on all of your social networks so that we can deliver a Shenmue 3 that lives up to its legacy!

Will payments be accepted through PayPal?

We are considering Paypal as a payment option. If a PayPal option is added, there will be an announcement on the Update page.

Spaghetti

by the middle of the kickstarter, i definitely think we're going to see ps4 retail. i wouldn't be surprised if they're figuring out the logistics right now while they're all still in LA.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Hahaha, sorry, I was just making a crappy sexual joke.

But yeah, I agree about the $29 backers upping to higher prices for physical copies. They could do it at some point too, yeah.

This guy gets it.
Sorry it was a quick post because my dog is running wild otherwise I probably would have gotten it

Maybe Sony know for a fact that people who buy the digital version for $29 via Kickstarter will be the same people who will also buy a physical copy upon release too. Not going to lie. After 14 years I would. Kinda crappy and I'm hoping that's not the case. Most likely more complicated than that but yeah. Speaking for myself, I want that physical edition and I'd double dip.

I wonder if my VMU savestates will carry over... xD

Also, new FAQ:
Lol the stretch goal of all time. Develop an official USB to VMU device just for the game. That would be cool if not a very unexpected things to do.

I've still got my save on a regular vmu and an official 4meg. It would be an awesome idea but I'll just take a rucksack of capsule toys and a first full of won.

chrono01

Probably prohibitive publishing costs for a PS4 disc release but, now, I can definitely see Sony doing a retail run. Whether or not it makes to to a reward tier is another matter, but there's no way this won't get a physical PS4 release.
That could be it. Here's hoping they can work something out!

Yeah I can't think of any good reason for why they wouldn't, honestly.
Same. I'm sure many fans are feeling the same way we are. :(

El_Cinefilo

I'm not a fan of how they're doing these stretch goals, they need to explain what infiltration missions, Battle events and character perspective systems are. To be honest the whole Kickstarter isn't great. I love Shenmue and have put $120 so far (would go higher for physical copy) but to the people who haven't played the originals it doesn't really do much to explain what the actual game is.

Omikaru

Heh, they could do a Vita-as-controller VMU screen mode. That'd be brill.

Or do the second screen feature via the PS app on mobile/tablet to do it.

I'm a genius. Thank me later.

MouldyK

Heh, they could do a Vita-as-controller VMU screen mode. That'd be brill.

Or do the second screen feature via the PS app on mobile/tablet to do it.

I'm a genius. Thank me later.

I think the Wii U Gamepad would be a good tool.

No arcades in the villages? Ryo has a 3DS with SEGA classics on.

...and can also practice his Lucky Hit there...

...and check his collectables in 3D while walking down the street...

Omikaru

Let's ask Sony to fund that! :3

Diabelli

Gonna pledge $29 right now. Also going to watch a lets play of the first two games.

Edit: I have done my part as a gamer and a human being.
It's probably the one you're going to watch anyway since it's the first hit when you search for a Shenmue let's play, but SupaGoGoMan's is the one.

by the middle of the kickstarter, i definitely think we're going to see ps4 retail. i wouldn't be surprised if they're figuring out the logistics right now while they're all still in LA.

Hope they do a retail box for everyone.

I'm worried that a few years after launch there will be some license issue or money arguments and the game disappears from the store.

This is not just a game. Shenmue fans will want this on their mantle piece.

Hope they do a retail box for everyone.

I'm worried that a few years after launch there will be some license issue or money arguments and the game disappears from the store.

This is not just a game. Shenmue fans will want this on their mantle piece.

That's what the art book is for.

Or replace all that with a Vita since there is 0 reason for anything nintendo related to be in this.

Maligna

Banned
Does anyone have any idea about which page the reactions to Shenmue III start happening in the Sony E3 Press Conference thread? I want to start reading what everyone's immediate reactions were.

todd360

It's probably the one you're going to watch anyway since it's the first hit when you search for a Shenmue let's play, but SupaGoGoMan's is the one.

Thanks for the recommendation. Turns out that was the one o started watching. Good to know I'm watching the best one then.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I wonder how deep this game will be can we expect a yakuza style game with a lot of depth with surroundings and combat, or will it be bare-bones to an extent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom