• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzy

I agree with everything you say. The character models do not look up to par yet. The environmental visuals on the other hand look stunning. If this is the level of visuals we are getting then very good. It looks an order of magnitude more impressive than Yakuza at least.

Yeah, I'd be fine with those environments in Shenmue even with how early they are. I was expecting and would be content with Yakuza graphics but it seems we might be getting something better, especially with UE4.

Rymuth

Some people may like the shorter stretches though so I can understand that.

Stretch goals aren't the only way to motivate pledges, adding more rewards also plays a huge factor.

Biggest misstep so far is how bland some of the higher pledges are (for example, I only pledged $28 for Yooka Laylee because the higher rewards didn't interest me) but I sincerely hope we got a Bloodstained situation wherein superstars like Kojima, Amano and Belgrade join the fray.

And before anyone asks, I've shelled out $300 for this but I'd definitely kick it up to $500 or more depending on what was offered

New stretch goals are nice, but why weren't those there from the beginning. And where are the higher tier pledge possibilities?

Getting a bit annoyed with how unprofessional the company is that is handling the kickstarter. Those stretch goals need way better descriptions.

Yeah this is a really badly done Kickstarter, any other game would struggle to reach it's funding goal by the end if they had this quality of a campaign. Really it's irritating how they are promoting another game instead of addressing the glaring issues with their campaign.

If you're maining a PS3 (or even a WiiU) in 2017, then good luck to you.

Even people who love their PS3 will most likely have caved and bought a PS4 by then. :/

I'm just waiting for KH3, which might not be as long of a wait as anticipated. That will literally be the key that unlocks the floodgates for me.

Stretch goals aren't the only way to motivate pledges, adding more rewards also plays a huge factor.

Biggest misstep so far is how bland some of the higher pledges are (for example, I only pledged $28 for Yooka Laylee because the higher rewards didn't interest me) but I sincerely hope we got a Bloodstained situation wherein superstars like Kojima, Amano and Belgrade join the fray.

And before anyone asks, I've shelled out $300 for this but I'd definitely kick it up to $500 or more depending on what was offered

Yeah, more tiers are definitely needed. Anything from $800 - $1000 - $2500 - $5000 wouldn't be too far fetched if they could back up the rewards.

Mugen08

Yeah this is a really badly done Kickstarter, any other game would struggle to reach it's funding goal by the end if they had this quality of a campaign. Really it's irritating how they are promoting another game instead of addressing the glaring issues with their campaign.

Are they reading anything in the comments/email/gaf/social media I wonder. Seems that many have tried to contact them in vain. Really sad to witness this unprofessionalism. And $5M for one village, why not spread out the content over several villages if others will be partially made? No one knows due to the lack of information. Are they aiming to go Star Citizen+Sony?

Siliconera have a recap of a Famitsu article with Yu about Shenmue 3

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/1...qte-system-for-shenmue-3/#medO1PbFfdT58eYy.99

“I’ve been trying to find a way to make a sequel happen for a very long time. There really isn’t much more to it,” says Suzuki.

Next, they ask about their target amount of funds from Kickstarter (which, by the way, is currently over $2.9 million as of this article).

“200 million yen (around $2 million) for starters,” responds Suzuki. “That said, 200 million yen is the minimum required amount in order to make the game. If we happen to collect more funds, then we’ll add more things that we’ve been wanting to add to it.”

Famitsu then ask what kind of open world one can expect to see in Shenmue III.

“Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead,” says Suzuki. “If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, we’d be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them."

He continues, “For example, we could set a parameter for Ling Shen Hua, then we could have it change her attitude depending on the conversations, or the way one proceeds through quests. Of course, that doesn’t mean that it won’t be an open world game. A stretch goal on Kickstarter will determine the expansion of the city.”

Finally, Yu Suzuki shared more on ideas he has for Shenmure III’s QTE (Quick Time Event) system.

“I’d like to present a new QTE. Something elaborate, yet easily playable by just about anyone,” says Suzuki. “Instead of simply winning by pressing buttons in a timely manner, I’d like to make something that will have people win fights by making correct judgements.”

NekoFever

I'd go to $500 but it needs to offer way more. At the moment it's essentially $200 for three capsule toys and I can't justify it.

Mr. RPG

simply put, the initial goal is to fund a project, stretch goals if met are to add to the base game. There's no content being cut, it's content being added.

I don't see how they're going to do Shenmue III with only one area though. The Kickstarter video talks about there being three areas in Shenmue III and unless the Kickstarter gets $12 million then there will only be one area (or two if it reaches $8 million).

I really hope the whole game is not one village and nothing else.

Since the entire saga of Shenmue is planned at 16 chapters, and we have done up through chapter 6 (skipping 2), Baisha village is probably chapter 7 or something with the others being chapters 8-9 or 10. So while it wouldn't be "cutting" content, it wouldn't be as fleshed out as it could be or carried as far as it should be if they hold the development of those other areas to the KS goals. That would be disappointing because I want to see Yu Suzuki make the game he wants to make.

Dennis

Banned
I still can't believe we are getting Shenmue 3.

All those threads over the years after every desperate rumor, all those snarky NeoGAF moderators cruelly mocking our hopes and dreams.....

Posting for new page:

Siliconera have a recap of a Famitsu article with Yu about Shenmue 3

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/1...qte-system-for-shenmue-3/#medO1PbFfdT58eYy.99

“I’ve been trying to find a way to make a sequel happen for a very long time. There really isn’t much more to it,” says Suzuki.

Next, they ask about their target amount of funds from Kickstarter (which, by the way, is currently over $2.9 million as of this article).

“200 million yen (around $2 million) for starters,” responds Suzuki. “That said, 200 million yen is the minimum required amount in order to make the game. If we happen to collect more funds, then we’ll add more things that we’ve been wanting to add to it.”

Famitsu then ask what kind of open world one can expect to see in Shenmue III.

“Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead,” says Suzuki. “If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, we’d be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them."

He continues, “For example, we could set a parameter for Ling Shen Hua, then we could have it change her attitude depending on the conversations, or the way one proceeds through quests. Of course, that doesn’t mean that it won’t be an open world game. A stretch goal on Kickstarter will determine the expansion of the city.”

Finally, Yu Suzuki shared more on ideas he has for Shenmure III’s QTE (Quick Time Event) system.

“I’d like to present a new QTE. Something elaborate, yet easily playable by just about anyone,” says Suzuki. “Instead of simply winning by pressing buttons in a timely manner, I’d like to make something that will have people win fights by making correct judgements.”

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Are they reading anything in the comments/email/gaf/social media I wonder. Seems that many have tried to contact them in vain. Really sad to witness this unprofessionalism.

Yeah that's sad to see. They have the money but they aren't really thoroughly updating or detailing their stretch goals. I have to admit, even Mighty No 9's campaign was a little bit more thought out.

same, but we don't know how many locations the base game will have, for all we know there's more than one but Baisha is the main location and Yu wants to expand what you can do tthere

I'm going to guess that it'll be 3 chapters, with a chapter being set in each of the locations. The stretch goals say expanding Baisha Village not implementing it. And expansion doesn't necessarily mean widening the geometry, it could also mean adding more depth to the area for example by adding more interior locations, with characters, events, minigames attached to them.

I loved shenmue as a kid in high school. A living, breathing world finally realized. I loved the ominous music. The NPCs having schedules. I loved being lost, and couldn't figure out a way to solve puzzles, always going back to ryo's hone, searching the drawers, clock, etc.

then I played shenmue 2. Something about the game didn't click with me. I don't know if it was me getting older, or not having the patience to complete the game due to how bigger it got.

The Kickstarter page could use more info like this.
I don't see how they're going to do Shenmue III with only one area though. The Kickstarter video talks about there being three areas in Shenmue III and unless the Kickstarter gets $12 million then there will only be one area (or two if it reaches $8 million).
The stretch goals describe expansions of the areas which to me means they're still going to exist in at least some capacity. We don't know the context of these villages though. They could make up one giant map and be similar in scope to the quarters in Hong Kong or the buildings in Kowloon.

Also it's not recapped in the article, but the original blog mentions a forklift and it translates to:

"I want put a mini game of forklift, I am thinking much that it might be put somehow deep in the mountains of Guilin."

A forklift mini game deep in the Guilin mountains?! Hope that translation is right.

MouldyK

Seems like he didn't mention outside funding, but it's nice to know he at least has a plan for the Open-World. But he says he wants 3 Villages, but is only funding Stretch Goals for 1 so far...

...that worries me because it might mean he might need MORE.

Mr. RPG

The stretch goals describe expansions of the areas which to me means they're still going to exist in at least some capacity. We don't know the context of these villages though. They could make up one giant map and be similar in scope to the quarters in Hong Kong or the buildings in Kowloon.

So you think the three areas: Baishu, Choubu, and Bailu will be in the game regardless?

The Kickstarter video makes it sound like these are the three big areas of the game in my opinion and the stretch goals will expand upon theses areas giving them more depth.

This is what I'm hoping.

Seems like he didn't mention outside funding, but it's nice to know he at least has a plan for the Open-World. But he says he wants 3 Villages, but is only funding Stretch Goals for 1 so far...

...that worries me because it might mean he might need MORE.

Which makes me worry even more about Sony's involvement. Maybe they really aren't helping out all that much?

Sorry guys that I'm being so skeptical and worried. :(

Bio-Frost

So you think the three areas: Baishu, Choubu, and Bailu will be in the game regardless?

The Kickstarter video makes it sound like these are the three big areas of the game in my opinion and the stretch goals will expand upon theses areas giving them more depth.

This is what I'm hoping.

That is also what I took from it. We are getting all three areas and the stretch goals just expand those areas. As to why the goals right now are just focused on Baishu village is weird however.

NekoFever

I want them to go all-out on the anachronistic games like the Saturn in Shenmue. Have a branch of Game You in a small Chinese village that barely has running water, inexplicably filled with Model 3 arcade cabinets. Nobody in the game should find this odd in any way.

This is what I'm hoping.

I mean we're grasping at straws here, but the three locations all strike me as kind of rural which seems like it'd be redundant.

Mugen08

Yeah that's sad to see. They have the money but they aren't really thoroughly updating or detailing their stretch goals. I have to admit, even Mighty No 9's campaign was a little bit more thought out.

At the very least they should put those stretch goals on top of the main page. Some might feel it is more important to pledge now if there are good stretch goals. :/

They really need some reward tiers between $500 and $10,000 and imo the stretch goals should be higher up the page and not so far down. Also work something out with Sony to get physical PS4 release, oh and open up to paypal

Mr. RPG

The Kickstarter page has been updated with new FAQ questions. Have these been posted here yet?

Can you make an open world game for just $2 million?

No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.

How will the funds raised through Kickstarter be used?

The funding collected through Kickstarter will go towards game development, minus Kickstarter's fees and the costs associated with running a Kickstarter.

That last answer doesn't tell us anything.

Bashtee

I'm sure that no one from the team expected the kickstarter to get nuked with money and comments in the first 2 days. At least give these guys until the end of the week to sort some things out. After that I would agree.

What worries me: usually kickstarter campaigns get a lot of attention during the last day. Something tells me that this won't be the case with Shenmue 3.

Moofers

BloodStained was the first Kickstarter I backed and it was exhilarating to follow. Sometimes I would get 2 updates in the same day because we would meet a stretch goal and then a funding milestone or something. I really felt like I was part of something there.

Shenmue needs to follow that example. Seriously, they should have had an email prepared and ready to send the moment they broke 1 million, then another one when we passed 2 million. Then more updates and more reward tiers added, along with more stretch goals that arrived with information on what these are exactly.

Its like the KS crew set this thing up and then went Out Of Office for a day, not realizing we'd raise 3 mil in a little over a day.

Moofers

I'm sure that no one from the team expected the kickstarter to get nuked with money and comments in the first 2 days. At least give these guys until the end of the week to sort some things out. After that I would agree.

What worries me: usually kickstarter campaigns get a lot of attention during the last day. Something tells me that this won't be the case with Shenmue 3.

If their media team play their cards right, they will have emails out to all the major gaming outlets with a rundown of all the goals achieved so far as well as what still lies within reach before the day is up. Hit social media hard, have a live stream up all day long with events planned like its a telethon. Have somebody playing Shenmue 1 and 2 with live commentary from Yu Suzuki or other members of the original teams.

BloodStained did most of that and it worked like magic. There's no way Shenmue 3 would underperform if they have a good game plan together for those last critical days.

I mean we're grasping at straws here, but the three locations all strike me as kind of rural which seems like it'd be redundant.

I think with Shenmue, if that's where the story goes that where it goes. Hell Shenmue II goes from Ryo fighting gangsters in the slums of Kowloon immediately into a chapter that is mostly walking through a forest having a nice chat with Shenhua. If the part of the story that ShenmueIII covers is the Ryo travels around rural China part then I don't see Yu compromising on that to fit some gamey idea of variety.

Bailu Village is obviously Shenhua's village and where the game will likely start. To me the temple looking structures in the Choubu art make me think that is the location you see in the flashback to Shenhua as a baby. Which just leaves Baisha. Given that Bailu is meant to be a very remote isolated location I could see Baisha being the large town of the game, although no where near being a city like Yokosuka or Hong Kong. Then it's just a case of whether you go to it between Bailu and Choubu or after Choubu.

BloodStained was the first Kickstarter I backed and it was exhilarating to follow. Sometimes I would get 2 updates in the same day because we would meet a stretch goal and then a funding milestone or something. I really felt like I was part of something there.

Shenmue needs to follow that example. Seriously, they should have had an email prepared and ready to send the moment they broke 1 million, then another one when we passed 2 million. Then more updates and more reward tiers added, along with more stretch goals that arrived with information on what these are exactly.

Its like the KS crew set this thing up and then went Out Of Office for a day, not realizing we'd raise 3 mil in a little over a day.

There have been 4 updates in 2 days and interviews and press elsewhere.

GavinGT

Banned
More info from a recent Suzuki interview. Not sure why it was buried in the garbage Sony thread:

I'll just post a little teaser of that interview that there might not be a dog companion but a goat or a companion bear are not outside the realm of possibilities...
Yu Suzuki was joking

Yu Suzuki tells in that interview that the relationship with Sega is excellent and they have complete access to the first two games in order to use what they find necessary for the third episode. There's a trust based relationship.

There's an Arcade room previewed as a Stretch Goal!!!!!

Ryan Payton of Camuflaj also tried to convince Yu Suzuki to make a Kickstarter campaign. In the end Yu Suzuki chose Cédric Biscay as a partner instead (this was 2 years ago).

The images that we see on the Kickstarter project presentation movie and on Sony E3 stage are really from the proper game. Unreal 4 is the engine used. It was a prototype running on the engine but it was gameplay, not a movie.

Cedric Biscay is a Japanese Culture enthusiast with professional and personal knowledge in Anime, video games and Japanese movies. He and his company have already done some work in distributing Japanese specific media/culture mainly in Europe. And their main responsibility will be promoting Shenmue 3 in Europe.

Cedric Biscay is a Shenmue enthusiast and his company is based in Monaco and has experience in distributing and promoting Japanese culture in the West. And though they are a small sized company they have an established network of connections in Japan and Europe.

Cedric Biscay specific role in Shenmue 3 production is to actively find additional budget sources and promotion of Shenmue 3 (in Europe at least) and they are also in charge of the development of the PC version.

There's a release date of end of 2017. There could be delays of course but at this moment they are pretty confident in that tentative release date.

On the 27th of February Cedric Biscay and Yu Suzuki will be at Salon Magic at Monaco and there will be more exclusive info about Shenmue 3 at that event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom