• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Kotaku: Getting The Rights To Shenmue Was Easier Than You’d Think

http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights-to-shenmue-was-easier-than-you-d-thi-1712037863

"“My company YSnet, we officially approached Sega a while ago, asking for the approval for the licenses,” Suzuki continued. “I was at Sega when Shenmue was made, as you may know, and they felt safe giving me the license to make the next one. They’re the reason why I was even able to make Shenmue.” When asked if Sega would be getting any percentage of profits from the eventual release of Shenmue III, Suzuki said that he couldn’t talk about the details of the deal he struck with Sega."

Nice attitude from Sega. Honestly, with how ambitious the games were and the budget required for proper Shenmue III getting the rights was the easy part of the equation.

NekoFever

I've upped my pledge to $250. Oh yeah.

You get all previous tiers right?

Yep, there's a chart on the Kickstarter page:

dcdfdab4697e617cc4e62g1puh.png

Xpliskin

Alright, so now that the dust has settled, let's talk some details.

Obviously the game is in very early prototype stages. VERY early. It's good to see the prototype Ryo model. I know the models undergo changes throughout development so I'm hoping they really fix his face. Doesn't look at all like trademark Ryo.

Small complaint that I know will get fixed, just wanted to discuss it.

Yes, this is very rough art. Placeholder art.

The companies involved will be hiring aggressively and Sony Japan will help.

Typically when you're hired by Japan Studio you are dispatched to whoever they choose to. You may end up at Polyphony or any internal team/outsourcing team they like.

From a technical standpoint UE4 is very popular in Japan, all major studios adopted it.

Even Tango Gameworks switched to it.

The game will evolve exponentially when funding is secured and veterans are recruited.

I wouldn't worry about the quality.

_Ryo_

Okay game discussion time go.

You guys think we will see Sony branded capsule toys- prizes since they are helping?

What about small sony branded mini games in the arcade?

The kickstarter mentions shenmue one and two cinematics, this has to be more than just the scenes from those games as a movie file right? Surely it doesnt cost thousands of dollars to do that. Will they recreate the important scenes with new assets and use them as a catch up video and flash backs?

It would be really strange to see the graphics of the old game clash with the new assets.

Why are "gamers" so salty? Is it an Xbox thing?

Most likely, yes. It's a shame that such decent gaming machines are so hindered by the company behind them. :/ I imagine that would cause vitriol anytime the other gaming consoles receive anything halfway decent. Those guys should be thankful, they're getting one of the best gaming compilations of all time! You know, that Rare Collection...

But that's not the point. Point is, Shenmue 3 is happening. After time has passed, that tweet will be nothing more than a drop in the bucket, if it isn't already.

The kickstarter mentions shenmue one and two cinematics, this has to be more than just the scenes from those games as a movie file right? Surely it doesnt cost thousands of dollars to do that. Will they recreate the important scenes with new assets and use them as a catch up video and flash backs?

It would be really strange to see the graphics of the old game clash with the new assets.

In an ideal world, Shenmue 1+2 HD will have already released before they start working on the cinematics, and they could just use the shiny updated graphics.

Worst-case scenario? Make the cutscenes black and white and add some film grain or somethin'. It's Shenmue 3.

Rymuth

Obviously the game is in very early prototype stages. VERY early. It's good to see the prototype Ryo model. I know the models undergo changes throughout development so I'm hoping they really fix his face. Doesn't look at all like trademark Ryo.

Small complaint
that I know will get fixed, just wanted to discuss it.

It's not, really. He ain't MY Ryo.

benzy

SEGA generally gets bad rep round the gaming community but they are a lot nicer than they are given credit, they are just broke.

This isn't KONAMI we are dealing with here.

Yup. I'm sure they also love the series and want to see the game made as well, but they're not the risk-taking company they once were.

at $29 this is a steal, honestly. This will be a AAA blockbuster and right now you can get it for half price, there is absolutely no reason for any penny pinching gamer to ignore this offer without serious consideration.

Sad that this work will be limited to ps4/pc but it is what it is.

Pandy

What? This. Is. Not. A. Sony. Game. Sony Japan won't send anyone nowhere.
This is exactly what freaked me out about the Sony connection being announced, before I found out more about it.

The lack of initial transparency has led to this situation and Sony/Ys are to blame, not the fans that are confused as to what the heck is actually going on.

_Zento

Considering Sony is going to be providing resources towards this development I'm sure the gameplay and graphics will turn out fine. Though I'm not entirely sure if the general scope will be as huge (I guess this depends on how much of the story is left).

The salt over kickstarter is so unjustified for Shenmue. I'm glad it's only a vocal minority this time. Let us enjoy this moment for Christ sakes. People are just looking for controversy. Is this where gaming culture really wants to go? I don't.

That Shenmue GT reaction image is my wallpaper now. So good! That's what gaming is to me.

Spaghetti

Okay game discussion time go.

You guys think we will see Sony branded capsule toys- prizes since they are helping?

What about small sony branded mini games in the arcade?

i expect to see some sony branded 80s electronics at the very least

who knows if we'll see any actual arcade games though. the game should take place in the middle of rural china. there may not be any electricity.

dankir

So assuming nothing will change is this one of the only game series, where each title that has been / will be released on different consoles from multiple manufacturers?

Or does this mean Nintendo gets Shenmue 4 lol. They're the only ones left.

benzy

Yes, both Ryo and Shenhua look really weird. Even the DC models were a lot better.
Here's Shenhua ripped from the intro; Sega AM2 artists were amazing.

gpzqpjwkac.png

....abomination

52145d62ac7725ea2c9cba21d3a1d8a7_original.jpg

Hope the final models are much closer to this.

his_story2_5.jpg

Definitely agree here. Shenhua's not quite there either but she is closer. I think it's her nose that's a little different, her skins a little DoA4 real-doll-esque and the hair feels a little overly glossy and wig-like at the moment.

Ryo on the other hand just feels really off, I think it's the eyes and brows that are different as his face shape, mouth and nose look close to me.

NekoFever

Oh god. Infiltration missions. I'm flashing back to the warehouse in the first game.

Certainly sounds like Baisha Village is the main urban area. It looks very interesting in photos so I can't wait to see this interpretation.

I wonder just how much money Yu Suzuki was expecting from the kickstarter initially. I'd love to read an interview with Yu Suzuki and all his thoughts on what's happened over the past couple of days after all the dust has settled and the kickstarter ends. The new 5 million stretch goal is nice to see. Will we hit it?

icecream

Public Health Threat
Interesting how all the stretch goals currently are focused on Baisha Village, when the video suggests there are unknown goals related to the other villages as well... how high is the campaign trying to go?

UN9yc2N.jpg

Yes, both Ryo and Shenhua look really weird. Even the DC models were a lot better.
Here's Shenhua ripped from the intro; Sega AM2 artists were amazing.

gpzqpjwkac.png

....abomination

52145d62ac7725ea2c9cba21d3a1d8a7_original.jpg

Hope the final models are much closer to this.

his_story2_5.jpg

I agree with everything you say. The character models do not look up to par yet. The environmental visuals on the other hand look stunning. If this is the level of visuals we are getting then very good. It looks an order of magnitude more impressive than Yakuza at least.

Theonik

That made me laugh.
Attitude was basically "If I can't have it no one should!"
People can be strange sometimes.
So there is two categories of this kind of outrage. One is people annoyed it's not coming to their system and can't play it. Or in the case of Nintendo there is a lot of people that would rather play games pretty much anywhere else for whatever reason. They are misguided but usually don't harbour malicious intentions just have no idea what they are talking about.

The second category is the list wars people. These people would never buy these games anyway, they just don't want the other guys to be happy. How dare the other side 'win' they think.

New update...

I understand the sentiment, but come on.
Yu is too busy crying at the crying in the GT video.

Interesting how all the stretch goals currently are focused on Baisha Village, when the video suggests there are unknown goals related to the other villages as well... how high is the campaign trying to go?

http://i.imgur.com/UN9yc2N.jpg
$20m
~$12m

Rymuth

I think I read somewhere that each village costs 4 million, so~

$4million - Baisha
$8million - Bailu
$12million - Choubu

Mr. RPG

I think I read somewhere that each village costs 4 million, so~

$4million - Baisha
$8million - Bailu
$12million - Choubu

I don't think the Kickstarter is going to go past $5-6 million or so.

So I guess content is going to be cut from the game? That doesn't sound good...

how high is the campaign trying to go?

As high as the fans wants it to go. That's how high. Thanks to the fans, Shenmue 3 will obliterate every Uncharted, every Last of Us, every Tomb Raider, every Assassin's Creed, etc thanks to having a brilliant mix of compelling gameplay AND cinematic moments, not exclusively one or the other.

I don't think the Kickstarter is going to go past $5-6 million or so.

You say this after the fans of Shenmue 3 have managed to get it well past $3 million in just a couple of days? Don't underestimate this fanbase, son. That would be a grave mistake. People are reading your post and pledging to the kickstarter out of spite. Shenmue 3 is a beast waiting to be unleashed on the populace.

I love Shenmue dearly but as to whether or not we'll hit $5,000,000 I'm not sure. The new stretch goals if I'm being honest, aren't the best in terms of incentive to pledge. They're really vague and to me, can be pretty much interpreted as stuff you would expect from the game anyway. Like a battle event, are they really that far ahead in the planning to know what it will be? Shouldn't random battles be part of the game anyway? Really not trying to be a downer or anything.

I guess it's just the way they're listed. If it went from $4,000,000 to $5,000,000 instead and had each village and additional content to each village as a stretch goal, it would probably make more sense to me. I don't need to see tiny sections of what each village offers, just list it like "Baisha Village Expanded - More battles / NPC's, Additional Quests, Infiltration Missions, Updated Character Perception System and more".

Some people may like the shorter stretches though so I can understand that.

New stretch goals are nice, but why weren't those there from the beginning. And where are the higher tier pledge possibilities?

Getting a bit annoyed with how unprofessional the company is that is handling the kickstarter. Those stretch goals need way better descriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom