• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jachaos

They still are dishonest. For example the Kickstarter page says Xbox/Linux (and other) versions haven't been decided yet. With Sony funding this can't be true.

Shenmue 3 is one of my most wanted games. I'm going to buy the game when it's available but I won't back the Kickstarter.

I backed Bloodstained btw.

Microsoft said the exact same thing about Tomb Raider (about funding and marketing it) yet it's coming to PS4 some months later. Nothing's out of the question.

Besides this is the nature of a Kickstarter. There have been many Kickstarter that also got funding from other parties (Bloodstained too), there was Massive Chalice that got an XBO version well after the Kickstarter ended and I'd have liked a console PS4 version but I backed for Mac and that's what I got. You get what you paid for anyway.

Spaghetti

What are you talking about? Have you never heard of Joe Danger? Also it hasnt been said that NMS is never going to see release on xbox one day too.

I feel disgusted that my backing is helping someone like you get the game one day. Yuck.
THAT'S the game i was thinking of!

but yes. not adding to the kickstarter but buying it when it comes out is cutting your nose off to spite your face. the money spent on a final copy could easily be used to help actually improve the game instead.

i will never understand that mentality.

sono

Are they being too generous with what you get back?. For example you get the game for $29 donation and for larger donatons in a number of cases they give vouchers back closer to the value of the donation.

So the net effect overall to the company when they finally deliver the game will be vastly lower than the $3.2m currently showing, they just get the money early so can get the interest, but the downside is they have to give a lot of it back when they deliver the game!

Is that the way kickstarters normally work or do you think they being a bit too generous back on this one ?

I would have given my donation for nothing back tbh.

Theonik

Are they being too generous with what you get back?. For example you get the game for $29 donation and for larger donatons in a number of cases they give vouchers back closer to the value of the donation.

So the net effect overall to the company when they finally deliver the game will be vastly lower than the $3.2m currently showing, they just get the money early so can get the interest, but the downside is they have to give a lot of it back when they deliver the game!

Is that the way kickstarters normally work or do you think they being a bit too generous back on this one ?

I would have given my donation for nothing back tbh.
That is a huge discussion on its own. I kinda have to leave now but I'll get back to you.

Bsigg12

Aren't pledges pretty much just pre-orders for the game?

No because they aren't obligated to deliver the product. You're giving them money to build something and in return they are offering a reward but there is nothing stopping it from never being delivered. It has happened a bunch on Kickstarter.

El_Cinefilo

New stretch goals added.
Yet none of them is a PS4 retail or a re-release of the first 2 games...

From the Q&A it seems pretty certain a physical PS4 copy won't be added and SEGA aren't involved in this other than licensing so Shenmue 1&2 won't be added. SEGA HAVE to do it themselves though now surely? there's never going to be a better time for them to do it.

Zerojul

New stretch goals added.
Yet none of them is a PS4 retail or a re-release of the first 2 games...

Already said that, but PS4 retail needs to happen. It would be a critical boost for both the median pledge level and for the number of backers. I think many of them would be "stuck" in the $30 tier because of the lack of PS4 physical and are playing the waiting game.

GavinGT

Banned
They still are dishonest. For example the Kickstarter page says Xbox/Linux (and other) versions haven't been decided yet. With Sony funding this can't be true.

Shenmue 3 is one of my most wanted games. I'm going to buy the game when it's available but I won't back the Kickstarter.

So we'll have a slightly worse game because of your weird hang-up.

Euryd1ce

Neo Member
Do you think it will reach all stretch goals?
I'm scared we will get a "mini" shenmue and not the full experience we expect..

Bsigg12

I doubt it really matters at this point with the stretch goals. They hit their funding target in a few hours after launch which for investors on the title would see ample interest to give them the money they need to make the game they want/envision. Also keep in mind the way Kickstarter campaigns roll. They are usually very front loaded with a surge in the final hours. We'll see drop off of daily backers until the last day of so.

Paz

I too remember when Joe Danger never released on XBox 360 after being Pub Funded through Sony.

It's doubtful Shenmue 3 will release on XBone but that doesn't make them dishonest.

Aspiring

I think it will. 5 million seems like a lot but it still has 29 days left and is up to just about 3.2 million. From what I have seen the last few days usually make as much as the first. Those extra villages that will be past 5 million though, idk. I was hoping they would of been tye next but it was extra baisha village items. Fingers crossed.

Trojan X

Banned
I had a strong feeling this will happen and, yes, articles like Polygon, the negative Sony helping Shenmue thread here on this forum and other areas alike are definitely not helping. However, what really isn't helping is how the Shenmue team is not being transparent enough. That has to change, now!

Is there someone here who is in direct contact with the team? Has someone actually informed them fully what is going on, what they are doing wrong and what they really need to do in order to change and generate more interest in funding? Right now, people's mindset is "oh, Sony is there so our job is done" and "I feel cheated so I want my money back" and that type of thinking shouldn't happen, however, that kickstarter page and the way the updates has been is not helping. We will end up getting a 75% game if we do not act and to get the Shenmue that goes beyond our dreams this KS need to reach much much more.

Again.... THIS IS OUR LAST CHANCE. Let's not blow it.

GavinGT

Banned
I had a strong feeling this will happen and, yes, articles like Polygon, the negative Sony helping Shenmue thread here on this forum and other areas alike are definitely not helping. However, what really isn't helping is how the Shenmue team is not being transparent enough. That has to change, now!

Is there someone here who is in direct contact with the team? Has someone actually informed them fully what is going on, what they are doing wrong and what they really need to do in order to change and generate more interest in funding? Right now, people mindset is "oh, Sony is there so our job is done" but the truth is that is not true. We will end up getting a 75% game if we do not act.

I took up a job moving crates, so I should be able to pitch in more before the end of the month. Also, Ine-san gives me allowance each day, so I'll set aside part of that.

Bl@de

I think it will. 5 million seems like a lot but it still has 29 days left and is up to just about 3.2 million. From what I have seen the last few days usually make as much as the first. Those extra villages that will be past 5 million though, idk. I was hoping they would of been tye next but it was extra baisha village items. Fingers crossed.

We don't even now how the project is structured. Maybe the other villages don't need extra funding because they're already planned.

And a lot of people are already nervous. It has been 2 days and it broke all records. Don't worry about this failing. This game will break 5-6 million with no problem.

Usobuko

Banned
I quite frankly think that annoucing this in a conference with FF VII and TLG to make it a trifecta revival of long awaited beloved franchise was a good move.

They build off each other popularity.

Is there someone here who is in direct contact with the team? Has someone actually informed them fully what is going on, what they are doing wrong and what they really need to do in order to change and generate more interest in funding? Right now, people mindset is "oh, Sony is there so our job is done" but the truth is that is not true. We will end up getting a 75% game if we do not act.

Well ... i can't say that i don't understand the negativity ... i know Bloodstained has publisher support behind it, too. But the difference is/was, that they have been open about it since the beginning. And then they pretty much said that the Kickstarter-money will be used for the additional stuff like the ports.

What baffles me most is, that despite Sony financing the game, i won't get a physical console version. I have Shenmue 1 + 2 standing in my shelf, and i would love to have the new one there too, and i mostly (nearly only) play on consoles.

Is there someone here who is in direct contact with the team? Has someone actually informed them fully what is going on, what they are doing wrong and what they really need to do in order to change and generate more interest in funding? Right now, people's mindset is "oh, Sony is there so our job is done" and "I feel cheated so I want my money back" and that type of thinking shouldn't happen, however, that kickstarter page and the way the updates has been is not helping. We will end up getting a 75% game if we do not act and to get the Shenmue that goes beyond our dreams this KS need to reach much much more.

The kickstarter was funded in record breaking time. What is being done wrong? This was Yu's choice not Sony's. He stated in an interview that this was how he got Sega to finally give him the license to the game and he thought this was the best way to gauge immediate consumer interest. I mean we are 1 day removed from the start of the kickstarter not 1 month or something. And would people not have backed if they knew Sony was also helping out? Did people really think the 3rd game would only cost 2 million to make?

Very odd response to this whole thing. Be happy it is being made, no matter how that happens as long as in the end we get the Shenmue 3 that Suzuki wants to make who gives a shit.

i hope they will a PS4 disc version later. i'm checking every few hours just for that :D

i'm really happy we can make this possible. i've been waiting so long.

Bl@de

Very odd response to this whole thing. Be happy it is being made, no matter how that happens as long as in the end we get the Shenmue 3 that Suzuki wants to make who gives a shit.

Agree with you. That's also why I hope he WON'T finish the story and keeps the concept of 5-6 games. I really really (really) don't want him to destroy to amazing pacing and feeling of Shenmue. It made it special to me.

Zerojul

I think this bit could be really hurtful to the general momentum of the campain.
And I agree, the general KS management could, should, and I think will, get better.
But what really matters in the end is the game gets made, and gets made like Suzuki envisionned it.

Am i correct in assuming the development team is...less than ~15 people? How are they ever gonna do this?

Granted, I have not played 1 & 2. Are these games large in scope? Is a ~15 member team sufficient enough to deliver a proper sequel in the current gen?

raphier

Banned
Stretch goals are going to split up the kickstarter budget in half, something I learned from Double Fine Adventure. They got what they wanted, no need to stretch more.

Am i correct in assuming the development team is...less than ~15 people? How are they ever gonna do this?

Granted, I have not played 1 & 2. Are these games large in scope? Is a ~15 member team sufficient enough to deliver a proper sequel in the current gen?
who cares? It's a new shenmue! We've been waiting 15+ years for it !

Xieldos

They're actively recruiting. There's a job posting on a few Japanese sites that currently escape my memory. I'm sure someone has posted it earlier in the thread.

Trojan X

Banned
Well ...

What baffles me most is, that despite Sony financing the game, i won't get a physical console version. I have Shenmue 1 + 2 standing in my shelf, and i would love to have the new one there too, and i mostly (nearly only) play on consoles.

And that should be a complete NO BRAINER for the Shenmue team. *angry fist bump*

Shenmue is not a digital download game, it is a collectors game. Shenmue 1 + 2 HD for both the PC and PS4 should be a stretch goal from the beginning, no one want a short movie, it's a nice little thing but that's what it is, a little thing. What people really want is Shenmue 1 and 2 in HD 16:9 and with optimised controls (the game cannot be straight port because the controls were optimised for the Dreamcast pad and not the Xbox and PS pad), and use their saved data from both game and transfer it to Shenmue III. If that was on there plus a stretch goal for a physical copy of the PS4 game then people will explode! Plus, if the value offering of the reward schemes are adjusted and more well thought out then this KS will be even more desirable! For example, if you spend $700-800 / $1,000 then you will be reward with a real SHENMUE FRIGGING MIRROR which is rare!

so_ch_mirrors_yusan.jpg

so_ch_mirrors.jpg

There are tons of things I can say but as someone rightly pointed out, the beginning and the end of a KS is important so that means that the Shenmue team need to get this KS right because right now much improvement is definitely required.

Everyone - Let's contact them directly.

zeshakag

Give it a couple more days, it's day 3 of the campaign, they're wrapping up E3 and recruiting. They might be getting their shit together for new info.

Trojan X

Banned
The kickstarter was funded in record breaking time. What is being done wrong? This was Yu's choice not Sony's. He stated in an interview that this was how he got Sega to finally give him the license to the game and he thought this was the best way to gauge immediate consumer interest. I mean we are 1 day removed from the start of the kickstarter not 1 month or something. And would people not have backed if they knew Sony was also helping out? Did people really think the 3rd game would only cost 2 million to make?

It's not odd at all, my friend. The campaign funding is flat lining and it has incredibly potential to do more, much more. Also, if you note what Yu Suzuki is saying, he was implying that he is happy that he is getting support to get the game done, but if we want to get the game to 100% of his vision then he needs more funding to do that. So in order to help, we are pointing out the flaws in this current campaign and what to provide direct suggestions of how to improve it in order to reach to a higher goal. That would be a bigger win for everyone and since the opportunity is there then we would like to take it.

Trojan X

Banned
Give it a couple more days, it's day 3 of the campaign, they're wrapping up E3 and recruiting. They might be getting their shit together for new info.

True. Let's give them a chance for this week. If there are no change then we could act early next week.

Bsigg12

It's not odd at all, my friend. The campaign funding is flat lining and it has incredibly potential to do more, much more. Also, if you note what Yu Suzuki is saying, he was implying that he is happy that he is getting support to get the game done, but if we want to get the game to 100% of his vision then he needs more funding to do that. So in order to help, we are pointing out the flaws in this current campaign and what to provide direct suggestions of how to improve it in order to reach to a higher goal. That would be a bigger win for everyone and since the opportunity is there then we would like to take it.

This is what Kickstarters do though. They hopefully start strong off hype, like this did. That dies and they roll into word of mouth until the last few days where people on the fence decide if they're going to back or not. On top of that Sony announcing they're helping seems to have rubbed some people the wrong way.

If anything, follow this

https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

Trojan X

Banned
This is what Kickstarters do though. They hopefully start strong off hype, like this did. That dies and they roll into word of mouth until the last few days where people on the fence decide if they're going to back or not. On top of that Sony announcing they're helping seems to have rubbed some people the wrong way.

If anything, follow this

https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

Suggestions on what you think they should do to improve the situation?

Bsigg12

Their situation is significantly better than pretty much every Kickstarter currently running. As they release videos or concept art in updates, they'll see bumps through the next month. I don't think they could look at the way this started and say "what could we have done differently?" because frankly, they're crushing it. Just give it some time.

GavinGT

Banned

- more high-tier rewards
- more stretch goal info
- better game footage (at least some new screenshots)
- more info about what Suzuki's vision for the final game
- answer more of the questions coming in
- Paypal support

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey Trojan, read the Q&A: they've specifically said that 1+2 HD are completely out of Ys' hands and only SEGA can do something about them.

Greddleok

who cares? It's a new shenmue! We've been waiting 15+ years for it !

The question was kind of important. Who cares? People will care if it's a shit version of something they've been waiting 15 years for. It's perfectly understandable that some people might need to be convinced that the team can pull it off before putting into a kickstarter.

I'm not sure how it'll turn out, so I'm just going to wait for the actual thing to be released, but as I'm writing this I think I've convinced myself you're just joking...

I think you are being slightly too frantic. The kickstarter has barely gotten off the ground and it is already funded. The pledges have declined to a slower rate. However, there is still long time till the kickstarter finishes.

According to the trending crowd funding it should eventually surpass the intended goal by a decent amount.

Another thing, typically at the near end of a kickstarter the generated pledges see a significant boost.

Bsigg12

Should have had a bigger goal than $2 million.

That becomes a really fine line to walk. Too high and you scare people away because they think you're asking for too much. Could they have pushed for a base of 3 million? Probably but it would have raised some flags for some people. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there who scoffed at 2 million because they don't understand game development costs.

El_Cinefilo

- more high-tier rewards
- more stretch goal info
- better game footage (at least some new screenshots)
- more info about what Suzuki's vision for the final game
- answer more of the questions coming in
- Paypal support

Agree with all these, right now there's nothing to tell the people who didn't play the first two what the game really is and plays like and nothing to tell anyone what the stretch goals really are.

Because my dreamcast gets busted playing these games. I'm forced to use the emulator. Unfortunately it crashes on the arcade which is some of the best parts of the game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Well ... i can't say that i don't understand the negativity ... i know Bloodstained has publisher support behind it, too. But the difference is/was, that they have been open about it since the beginning. And then they pretty much said that the Kickstarter-money will be used for the additional stuff like the ports.

They never said that. Kickstarter is digital, so expect a physical version to be announced sometime after the Kickstarter is done. They aren't stupid, and they know that fans will buy both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom