• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
- more high-tier rewards
- more stretch goal info
- better game footage (at least some new screenshots)
- more info about what Suzuki's vision for the final game
- answer more of the questions coming in
- Paypal support

I agree with this and put the stretch goals higher up the page, and ps4 physical

Zerojul

They never said that. Kickstarter is digital, so expect a physical version to be announced sometime after the Kickstarter is done.

Which will make the fact that I got a physical PS4 version for Bloodstained out of the KS but not for Shenmue III all the more irksome :/

Milchjon

They should communicate clearer. We're still not sure how Sony is contributing exactly.

The fact that people think they're funding a game that's gonna be made anyway seems to hurt the KS as much as anything else.

UN9yc2N.jpg

I'm beginning to think:

Baisha - Shenmue III
Chobu - Shenmue IV
Bailu Village - Shenmue V

And depending to the amount raised, Shenmue III could be the conclusion!

eso76

What baffles me most is, that despite Sony financing the game, i won't get a physical console version. I have Shenmue 1 + 2 standing in my shelf, and i would love to have the new one there too, and i mostly (nearly only) play on consoles.

The producers are listed in the KS page, and for all we know, launching the kickstarter during their E3 conference might be the only kind of support Sony is giving.

The budget behind the game is anyone's guess, i am sure the producers themselves don't know yet.

I don't see the problem because Suzuki didn't promise state of the art anything, didn't show some ambitious and misleading target you have reasons to doubt he'll meet, to get more people to pledge.

He simply promised he would deliver a continuation to the story in some form and presented a very humble trailer for it. Actually the worst possible trailer.
You decide whether it's worth your money or not.
And that's it, really.

I would also like to know the scope of the game, but that's probably still up in the air until they have a more precise idea of how the game could do at retail.
Despite KS success, Shenmue 3 is still a financial risk.

And you know what i want more than Shenmue 3 ?
Yu Suzuki not to being responsible for another financial 'disaster' and have his reputation completely ruined because of it.

Mendax

How was Hong Kong handled in part 2? Surely the new one wont be set in a small village coming from that, right?

Also, doesnt the KS page make it sound like Baisha is an expansion to the base game?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
So I'm going into MAJOR SPECULATION MODE HERE, please take everything I say with a grain of salt. It's about the math.

I think it's reasonable that Sony is funding at 5 times plus the kickstarter stretch goal rate up to a certain cap. Say, 25 million.

So for example, if it reached the mediocre 2 million, they would pledge $10 million plus $2 million. $12 million. That would result in a telltale game level of production, for the entire product. It wouldn't have been bad at all, and the story would've been told, but people probably would've complained.

If all the stretch goals are met, at $5 million, they would pledge $25 million plus $5 million. $30 million. This would be plenty of money for Yu Suzuki's vision to be fully realized.

All you have to then assume is that the final game product sells for about a million copies, that's it, and you're making profit. Even if the vast majority of donations are the $29 dollar option, it's only 160k preorders. Selling the game at even $40 breaks the profit barrier.

This doesn't take into consideration any of the potential for the other two games in the series to be remade by Sega using assets / programming from the new sequel (or even licensing making the two games to YsNet, which they'd probably be prepared to do after having done Shenmue 3).

I'm not trying to be overly optimistic here, I think all the stretch goals will be met, and then more. $29 for a game made by a really amazing director is a pretty damn good deal. But just assuming they don't go far beyond $5 million, the game can and will be profitable.

This is just back of the napkin / forum post math, I'm sure the investors are actually looking far beyond that as the potential for it to be a resurgence of a game series.

Yu Suzuki not to being responsible for another financial 'disaster' and have his reputation completely ruined because of it.

Yu Suzuki was way ahead of his time and a lot of the stuff he wanted, such as eyes follow players, real time weather systems (following the weather that was recorded at the time the game takes place), stuff like that was super duper hard on a system like Dreamcast (even harder on a system like Saturn which they were originally targeting). Now you can do that effortlessly in UE4.

It's simply unfair to compare Yu's efforts then to now. Simply absurd, even. The technology has advanced so much some of the "groundbreaking" stuff he did is now taken for granted (due in large part to his own efforts to implement that stuff so early in 3D games development).

eso76

JHTKeC5.png

So, this means Ryo becomes Akira from VF in the end ? :p

Actually, in the second to last chapter it looks like the guy being carried is Ryo and not the other way round.

Cfer

Neo Member
I haven't had the chance to read this topic at all, but I asked the kickstarter page why an Xbox One version wasn't considered a stretch goal and I got this response:

Ys Net says:
Hello,
Thank you for your message!
Plans for the Xbox One have not been decided yet.
Please check back with us later!
Thanks!
K. Kitabayashi &
The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

Spaghetti

i think you're probably right about sony funding a multiple of the kickstarter amount. that'd be the most even-handed way to throw support behind the game.

that said, the FAQ on the kickstarter mentions sources, plural. i don't think all the additional funding is coming from sony.

Theonik

Are they being too generous with what you get back?. For example you get the game for $29 donation and for larger donatons in a number of cases they give vouchers back closer to the value of the donation.

So the net effect overall to the company when they finally deliver the game will be vastly lower than the $3.2m currently showing, they just get the money early so can get the interest, but the downside is they have to give a lot of it back when they deliver the game!

Is that the way kickstarters normally work or do you think they being a bit too generous back on this one ?

I would have given my donation for nothing back tbh.
OK I have time to address this a bit more now. Yes it is a huge problem, a great example of this is early KS like DFA which were too optimistic about the amounts they asked and didn't estimate how generous they were with the rewards and how much money was actually left to make the game. Ideally backers would get nothing in return if you wanted maximum return on the KS amount for obvious reasons. However, KS is different to the traditional idea of crowd funding or fan investment, where you can see examples of in other platforms and the later in Project Cars in particular.

Now, since KS is reward based and not 'You guys give us $500k for nothing and our investors will make the thing and you can buy it!' there are a few questions raised. What you give is very important, you need incentives for people to back but you still need high enough margins to get money left over at the end. Digital rewards are the most cost-effective, but also aren't that strong incentives for people to put large sums, so a balancing act needs to happen to maximise the amount of money you can get. At the same time, if you have external backers who have invested into the project they are interested in assurances that their investment is viable. That's a problem when you put it down because while high amounts on KS have proven to also translate to high sales after the fact there are still large questions in terms of viability for whatever they are backing the project for.

Generally this is indeed how KS works, don't expect the final amount to be near what they get. They really should have put the target amount at $5m imo. Though of course there is a balancing act there as well.

How was Hong Kong handled in part 2? Surely the new one wont be set in a small village coming from that, right?

Also, doesnt the KS page make it sound like Baisha is an expansion to the base game?
It sounds like these are already in the game and the stretchgoals are to flesh them out since the story is going to be whole, but to get the real shenmue fucking around experience there are extra resources involved. TL;DR You guys better hustle on this or I will never forgive you.

Edit:
JHTKeC5.png

So, this means Ryo becomes Akira from VF in the end ? :p

Actually, in the second to last chapter it looks like the guy being carried is Ryo and not the other way round.
This concept art is from when it was still VFRPG as seen in the corner there, so story is not quite the same, as is the scope but it gives you a rough idea of what was planned to put some things into some perspective.

Furoba

That would be nice!

I'd like to refer to this 2003 interview:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/am2/

Chapters 7 - 16 and 2 are unfinished,
Shenmue III would start from chapter 7.
Shenmue IV would likely not be the final game.

Would be nice if Shin Ishikawa would be actually (co-)directing. Shenmue II was far superior to Shenmue I IMHO.

I also just noticed that the top 3000 backers represent like 1/3rd of the entire amount pledged so far. Wow.
Definitely a lot of potential if they diversify the top tiers more.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
i think you're probably right about sony funding a multiple of the kickstarter amount. that'd be the most even-handed way to throw support behind the game.

that said, the FAQ on the kickstarter mentions sources, plural. i don't think all the additional funding is coming from sony.

Very true, I didn't intend to exclude that, and you're right it's likely not an all Sony affair. It's very possible that at this time Microsoft is negotiating being part of the deal as we type (and it's unlikely the agreement completely excludes anyone specifically, YsNet wouldn't sign off on such a restrictive contract).

The math gets more complicated as you divvy up the various income sources, of course. I was thinking Sony would get 100% of profits until they break even then a 50/50 split. If more investors come on then it would of course be a lot more complicated than that. Sony / MS could get 50% of profits until break even and then it'd be a 25/25/50 split. Sony could fight that and make it 30/20/50, either way everyone wins.

edit: MS / Sony used as an example due to Cfer's post, just replace X investor and do the splits however you chose if you want to make it more complicated, but we don't know of other potential investors but MS is probably sniffing around.

Spaghetti

Very true, I didn't intend to exclude that, and you're right it's likely not an all Sony affair. It's very possible that at this time Microsoft is negotiating being part of the deal as we type (and it's unlikely the agreement completely excludes anyone specifically, YsNet wouldn't sign off on such a restrictive contract).

The math gets more complicated as you divvy up the various income sources, of course. I was thinking Sony would get 100% of profits until they break even then a 50/50 split. If more investors come on then it would of course be a lot more complicated than that. Sony / MS could get 50% of profits until break even and then it'd be a 25/25/50 split. Sony could fight that and make it 30/20/50, either way everyone wins.
it seems the long term goal is not only to make shenmue 3, but shenmue 4 as well, so i anticipate the risk is spread quite considerably.

we'll see how this pans out. i expect the story behind the development is going to be as interesting as the game itself. almost makes me wish we were getting a behind the scenes series much like double fine adventure did.

eso76

Yu Suzuki was way ahead of his time and a lot of the stuff he wanted, such as eyes follow players, real time weather systems (following the weather that was recorded at the time the game takes place), stuff like that was super duper hard on a system like Dreamcast (even harder on a system like Saturn which they were originally targeting). Now you can do that effortlessly in UE4.

It's simply unfair to compare Yu's efforts then to now. Simply absurd, even. The technology has advanced so much some of the "groundbreaking" stuff he did is now taken for granted (due in large part to his own efforts to implement that stuff so early in 3D games development).

Oh, that i know.
A lot of the stuff Shenmue was doing now comes for free in the shape of tools in most engines or middleware.
This is why i think Sega dropped the ball. A lot of the money went towards the development of tools they should have tried making the most of. Had Sega kept the engine up to date they would have recovered from the initial investment with following chapters becoming cheaper and cheaper and an engine they could outsource.

I believe today's tools would allow a small staff to produce a Shenmue the size of Yokosuka in a matter of weeks, with motion capture being like the most expensive voice of the list.

Still, in Suzuki's vision Shenmue 3 probably still requires a decent budget and the game needs to do well at retail.

This concept art is from when it was still VFRPG as seen in the corner there so story is not quite the same as is the scope but it gives you a rough idea of what was planned to put some things into some perspective.

Duh. I missed that.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Don't know if this has been posted but there's a new FAQ:

Will payments be accepted through PayPal?
We are considering Paypal as a payment option. If a PayPal option is added, there will be an announcement on the Update page.

I know some people here wanted to use paypal

The new FAQ says there will be additional funding sources that can't be disclosed due to contractual obligations.

No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.

So it's also 'open world' game.

GavinGT

Banned
What do you guys think will be the better version of the game? The PC version is made by an outside studio, and yet it will surely have better graphics, mods, and VR support.

GavinGT

Banned
Here's the interview where they talk about the PC port:

I'll just post a little teaser of that interview that there might not be a dog companion but a goat or a companion bear are not outside the realm of possibilities...
Yu Suzuki was joking

Yu Suzuki tells in that interview that the relationship with Sega is excellent and they have complete access to the first two games in order to use what they find necessary for the third episode. There's a trust based relationship.

There's an Arcade room previewed as a Stretch Goal!!!!!

Ryan Payton of Camuflaj also tried to convince Yu Suzuki to make a Kickstarter campaign. In the end Yu Suzuki chose Cédric Biscay as a partner instead (this was 2 years ago).

The images that we see on the Kickstarter project presentation movie and on Sony E3 stage are really from the proper game. Unreal 4 is the engine used. It was a prototype running on the engine but it was gameplay, not a movie.

Cedric Biscay is a Japanese Culture enthusiast with professional and personal knowledge in Anime, video games and Japanese movies. He and his company have already done some work in distributing Japanese specific media/culture mainly in Europe. And their main responsibility will be promoting Shenmue 3 in Europe.

Cedric Biscay is a Shenmue enthusiast and his company is based in Monaco and has experience in distributing and promoting Japanese culture in the West. And though they are a small sized company they have an established network of connections in Japan and Europe.

Cedric Biscay specific role in Shenmue 3 production is to actively find additional budget sources and promotion of Shenmue 3 (in Europe at least) and they are also in charge of the development of the PC version.

There's a release date of end of 2017. There could be delays of course but at this moment they are pretty confident in that tentative release date.

On the 27th of February Cedric Biscay and Yu Suzuki will be at Salon Magic at Monaco and there will be more exclusive info about Shenmue 3 at that event.

sbkodama

Aside from the art which differs from shenmue2 and the too young ryo, that's great.

I only hope that the lack of sega am2 isn't going to mean a too big change in artstyle and polish after shenmue2, also depending of their "shenmue 1&2 Cinema Shorts".

GavinGT

Banned
Have they said why they took down the English version of that. I caught it before it was taken down and can understand French anyway but the decision baffles me.

In the Youtube comments they say the English version will be posted tomorrow.

Do they say anything interesting in the interview that wasn't covered in the partial summary above?

AsianOni

In the Youtube comments they say the English version will be posted tomorrow.

Do they say anything interesting in the interview that wasn't covered in the partial summary above?

No, pretty much everything discussed in the video is covered in the summuary

Spaghetti

the donations aren't very predictable any more.

we had a quick burst of about $20,000 in two hours that has all but slowed to a halt

MouldyK

I wish there was a way to get Shenmue 1+2 Style Graphics.

That is what made alot of the game for me and the Promo Artstyle does not speak to me as much as 1+2 does.

thenexus6

Never played these games, but looked forward to getting this next one.

I started listening to the soundtrack for the first game and WOW. This is some incredible music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom