• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 backers at the 3K level for the jacket is astounding. They essentially boosted their funding by almost 50K just by adding another tier and in a matter of hours. It makes me confident that the team will manage the campaign well in the near future. Looking forward to the Reddit AMA tomorrow. Should be interesting to read.

My guess is that there will be physical PS4 copy tiers before the end of the kickstarter.

My theory is that it depends on a finalized agreement with Sony.

Garlador

when you get back can you change the url to bit.ly/saveshenmue

shenmuepost2.jpg

And added.

So the Eurogamer article I posted was quite inaccurate and in hindsight and I probably shouldn't have linked to it. Apologies. Reading around for articles Polygon has a recent article about Shenmue 3's budget that seems far more accurate. It's based on an actual interview they held with Yu Suzuki at E3. Some important quotations:

And in an interview with Polygon at E3 yesterday, Suzuki clarified some of the concerns, and left others intentionally open.

To start, Suzuki confirmed that his company Ys Net has lined up non-Kickstarter funding sources, but he wouldn’t say who they are or how much they are providing. Though Sony mentioned earlier in the day that it would help Ys Net with development, Suzuki wouldn’t speak to specifics of that partnership or even confirm Sony’s involvement.

"The important thing for Shenmue 3 is to bring back those fond memories that everybody had of 1 and 2, like for example the setting of 1986 Yokosuka — bringing back those memories and the nostalgic feel," he said.

Though Suzuki said that despite the evolution of open world game design since Shenmue 1 and 2 shipped, he doesn’t have any plans to alter the way Shenmue 3 will play to keep up with the times, aiming for a feel similar to the original games.

Asked if he expects the game’s final budget to be comparable to those of previous Shenmue games, Suzuki said he hopes it will be. Without knowing the amount of investment put in outside of Kickstarter, it’s hard to know how realistic that may be. But as of this writing on the Kickstarter campaign’s second day, it has almost crossed the $3 million mark, so Suzuki may be on his way.

That last quotation is quite interesting. It sounds like his external sources of funding might be contingent on the success of the Kickstarter. The most significant source of funding might well be the Kickstarter at the moment but I'm getting the impression that additional funding may become available now that the Kickstarter is a proven success. Just a theory of course.

If however he's optimistic that the game's eventual budget will be comparable to Shenmue 1 and 2 - he must have an ace up his sleeve.

Pantz

Just a suggestion for anyone on the lower tiers, go for the $175 one.

Artbooks go for crazy money on ebay if you don't really want it. Hang on to it for about a year and I bet you could get atleast $100 for it. I sold a Bioshock artbook that they gave me free for $120 on ebay. It's nuts!

Shaneus

I dunno, whenever I see people mention another developer with Suzuki and say LEGENDS I always feel it's more like a talented human with an omnipotent being next to him :p
I want to see him alongside Mizuguchi. I miss that guy. And two OG Sega stablemates, too.

Edit: He's doing an AMA? Damn, I can't wait!

mattp

I'm watching the giant bomb e3 stream right now and Adam Boyes just said yu had a box of tissues backstage because he was so happy that everyone was so excited about the announcement

This whole situation is facinating. Watching this campaign unfold and speculating as to what's occurring behind the scenes in regards to funding is entertainment in itself. Never seen a game take a more interesting road to development than this one has.

Trojan X

Banned
Fell asleep last night playing shenmue 2 on the dreamcast. Game looks great in widescreen which I found very odd since I'm only hooked up to composite.

So in the game as I was leaving my apartment to go to work the landlord asks me for money, I told him I'd get him later. So I continue on to work and make 60$, I decide to walk back to pay my debts but find a virtua fighters toy machine and spend 20$. Walk a bit further and find some dude running plinko boards and end up blowing the other 40$. Now I'm broke, fucking shenmue man. Such a great same, and I love the Japanese voices way better than the English ones.

Lol! The best part about that story is any can easily mistaken you for actually done this until you mention that you are talking about a game. Awesome.

Yes, the Japanese voice is much much better indeed.

I'm watching the giant bomb e3 stream right now and Adam Boyes just said yu had a box of tissues backstage because he was so happy that everyone was so excited about the announcement

Adam is on GB right now. Says Yu needed tissues back stage. :' )

Oh man that's just beyond heart warming and lovely. So happy for the guy. And on another note I don't care if I'm broke I'm pledging to this before I go to bed. You have my support Yu.

PDrZxso.jpg

I was holding out for a PS4 physical version but the "so happy about the positive reaction to the announcement he needed a box of tissues backstage" pushed me over the edge.

Upping the pledge to the physical version in a heartbeat should one be announced. For now I'm beyond happy I could show my support. <3

Trojan X

Banned
Have to be at a meeting soon, so this was all I managed in that time.
shenmuepost.jpg

Good job! For design purpose, I would consider more real-estate underneath the kickstarter logo and above Ryo's head. Otherwise this is good to use and spread everywhere including online.

I'll put it up on my Versus Battlecast page and on my facebook. Any help will do.

They need to add a LIMITED EDITIION physical disk boxset as a tier. For example, this is the boxset I got for Jo-jo All Stars Battle on my PS3:

JoJo-LE-Detailed.jpg

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but they should really add a $1000 tier too. I'm sure they could offer some more signed memorabilia for that price. Given that people have been trying to track down copies of the old games again, it would be awesome if they could offer signed copies of the first two games or something(assuming there's some box of unopened copies somewhere). I would seriously consider backing a tier like this.

GavinGT

Banned
That's amazing. Do you have a version with the full durations? Presumably there is usually a big spike at the end as well.

The ending spike is usually about the same as the beginning one, assuming it doesn't get cannibalized like Yooka-Laylee did (by Shenmue).

On Demand

Banned
Aww <3
Will this be viewable anywhere like YT or just Twitch? Unless you mean it's audio. aka How can I hear this now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysKExiHQvd4&index=11&list=PLfFwi0VxVnVLFxiEgcwWD5PbVcacKCk_t

I would link you the exact part but since it's still live it keeps on changing. Just look at the thumbnails while you're scrolling back until you see Adam.

BDBtAQ5.gif

Do we have video of the crowd reaction?

I can't find any. There's only FF7 crowd reactions as far i've seen.

I was just hovering over the KS page and two more backers pledged for the 3K jacket tier jumping the funding by another 6K. 20 backers opted for this tier. That's a 60K funding spike in a matter of hours just by adding another attractive tier and posting an update about it. Man Shenmue fans are on another level.

Trojan X

Banned
Can someone get hold of the OP, Mr RPG, and help him update the first post? It really need to be updated to help people understand the status and possibly encourage them to help with the funding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom