• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one way to try and reach that 10 million might not just be to encourage backers to up their pledges for no reward, which is often a hard ask, but to encourage fans to buy extra digital copies to give to friends. I'd rather feel like I am spreading the Shenmue love around rather than making up for publishers' stinginess. Plus, backers might have spent money on birthday / Christmas gifts for their friends anyway so it isn't such a net loss. I don't see it harming the project either, no extra physical rewards to ship.

Am I the only one who's still hoping that it doesn't get 10 million and the don't try to make it "open world".

I want it closed world. I don't need to be able to "climb that mountain in the distance" for every fricking game. Have one village plus a few minor out-locations, have interesting characters, mechanics and content in that village, and make a game that lasts fifteen hours.

The thought of Shenmue becoming just like any Ubisoft-game is chilling to me. Scale the vision down and make a game true to the series rather than make it something it's not.

Shenmue is not really his style. Shenmue doesn`t have enough moments where he legit can scream as a child.

What percentage of his child-like screams would you consider "legit"?

God I hate that guy. Obviously he's good at what he does, but I just don't get it. Too old for this shit.

You know, it would be fun to see him take it on. However, I have a feeling that it'd do more harm than good to the kickstarter. Shenmue is a slow burner, the first hour of going around and checking drawers and petting kitties isn't going to catch too many of his followers as that interesting (prejudiced, who me?).

Theonik

I think one way to try and reach that 10 million might not just be to encourage backers to up their pledges for no reward, which is often a hard ask, but to encourage fans to buy extra digital copies to give to friends. I'd rather feel like I am spreading the Shenmue love around rather than making up for publishers' stinginess. Plus, backers might have spent money on birthday / Christmas gifts for their friends anyway so it isn't such a net loss. I don't see it harming the project either, no extra physical rewards to ship.
Let's not get crazy just yet.

I can see the kickstarter ending at 6.0-8.5mil, or 10mil. Somebody or some group will fill the gap if it's close enough.
At the current performance, $6-8m is reasonable. Higher… Time will tell. We need to keep fighting the good fight.

Slaythe

This is an adventure game more than an "an open world ololz" .

This isn't GTA.

The goal was never to have a gigantic field to play on , this is not a sand box.

This is a game where you can talk to every NPC, enter every house that will be unique, find dozens of mini games and side quests etc... and it will also have a deep combat system.

So they can MORE than easily make a good adventure game with opened design with 10 millions, remember UE4 is a very easy engine to use (and also saved Square Enix's ass with KH3) .

Loudninja

Am I the only one who's still hoping that it doesn't get 10 million and the don't try to make it "open world".

I want it closed world. I don't need to be able to "climb that mountain in the distance" for every fricking game. Have one village plus a few minor out-locations, have interesting characters, mechanics and content in that village, and make a game that lasts fifteen hours.

The thought of Shenmue becoming just like any Ubisoft-game is chilling to me. Scale the vision down and make a game true to the series rather than make it something it's not.
There are different types of open world come on now.

Krejlooc

Banned
A huge tip to all those replaying these games on the dreamcast: Play them with Sega Saturn controllers. Either the JPN/Model 2 Gamepad, or a Fight Stick. You lose absolutely nothing, and the game plays much better without trying to use the dreamcast's awful D-pad. Playing with a fight stick in particular helps you really appreciate the combat in the game.

Don't use a Sega Dreamcast fight stick. It has buttons Z and C, which are not L and R. Make sure you pick up this specific Sega Saturn-> Dreamcast adapter:

zgduvk7.jpg

It's an innovation Dreamcast / Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation converter. I have a bunch of Saturn -> Dreamcast converters, and they all map C and Z on a saturn pad to C and Z on the dreamcast. That specific innovation converter maps C and Z to L and R, which lets you run and zoom in on things to easily talk to people and examine items.

Playing with a good 2D controller completely changes the game, IMO. I really recommend using a fighting stick, but playing with the 2D Saturn pad is also good.

I don't for a second think he means "open-world" in the same way those games are open worlds.
Playing with a good 2D controller completely changes the game, IMO. I really recommend using a fighting stick, but playing with the 2D Saturn pad is also good.
Ehh.... I use my fight stick for a lot of things but I don't think I'd wanna try it on Shenmue. The combat to exploration ratio is too large, this isn't really a game where I need such precision. I've been using a DS4 this week and it's pretty nice.

Krejlooc

Banned
i literally have no idea what shenmue has to do with witcher

have some of y'all played a shenmue game

There is no other game like shenmue, period. The very closest comparison I could give would be Majora's Mask for how hand crafted everybody's routine is, but Shenmue is on an entirely other scale.

It pioneered a lot of mechanics and conventions that have been imitated, but the type of game it was has never been tried again. It's a cinematic RPG life simulator, with a deep fighting game system for it's combat.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ehh.... I use my fight stick for a lot of things but I don't think I'd wanna try it on Shenmue. The combat to exploration ratio is too large, this isn't really a game where I need such precision. I've been using a DS4 this week and it's pretty nice.

It feels better to explore with a fight stick than a d-pad, IMO. But regardless, even a Saturn 2D pad is so much better than a dreamcast controller for this game.

The Xbox and Dreamcast controllers really aren't very useful for Shenmue.

EDIT: Also, late in Shenmue II, you do quite a bit of fighting. For a while, it feels quite a bit like a Virtua Fighter game.

There is no other game like shenmue, period. The very closest comparison I could give would be Majora's Mask for how hand crafted everybody's routine is, but Shenmue is on an entirely other scale.

It pioneered a lot of mechanics and conventions that have been imitated, but the type of game it was has never been tried again. It's a cinematic RPG life simulator, with a deep fighting game system for it's combat.

I've kinda been wanting to make a video explaining Shenmue to the new generation of gamers. You need to put it in context with it's time, with comparisons and demonstrations of it's impact on future titles.

Then there are the things that still stand out as unparalleled to this day. Just for example, no game these days even comes close to the NPC immersion as the first game. There are no clone characters, everyone has an identity, schedule, home, etc... even irrelevant and trivial characters have these luxuries. It has a tremendous impact on the immersion. Even Shenmue 2 missed this mark by a bit unfortunately.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've kinda been wanting to make a video explaining Shenmue to the new generation of gamers. You need to put it in context with it's time, with comparisons and demonstrations of it's impact on future titles.

Then there are the things that still stand out as unparalleled to this day. Just for example, no game these days even comes close to the NPC immersion as the first game. There are no clone characters, everyone has an identity, schedule, home, etc... even irrelevant and trivial characters have these luxuries. It has a tremendous impact on the immersion. Even Shenmue 2 missed this mark by a bit unfortunately.

I feel like Shenmue 2 really nailed the feeling and interaction you would get in being in an enormous city like Hong Kong. You can't really expect someone to open up such a degree of their life to someone in reality, so those types of things don't need to exist. Really, if I was in hong kong, and saw some dude following me everywhere I went, I'd probably get on high alert lol.

What really impresses me about Shenmue II is how easy it is to navigate Hong Kong by just asking people for directions. There is so much dialog dedicated to directing you to specific locations, and the camera work and animations for the characters is really good. They'll point you in correct directions with both their hands and the camera.

kunonabi

A huge tip to all those replaying these games on the dreamcast: Play them with Sega Saturn controllers. Either the JPN/Model 2 Gamepad, or a Fight Stick. You lose absolutely nothing, and the game plays much better without trying to use the dreamcast's awful D-pad. Playing with a fight stick in particular helps you really appreciate the combat in the game.

Don't use a Sega Dreamcast fight stick. It has buttons Z and C, which are not L and R. Make sure you pick up this specific Sega Saturn-> Dreamcast adapter:

zgduvk7.jpg

It's an innovation Dreamcast / Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation converter. I have a bunch of Saturn -> Dreamcast converters, and they all map C and Z on a saturn pad to C and Z on the dreamcast. That specific innovation converter maps C and Z to L and R, which lets you run and zoom in on things to easily talk to people and examine items.

No thanks, I'm perfectly comfortable with the dreamcast controller despite having those options available.

If you guys get near 10 million I'll donate to the kickstarter even though I don't really care about Shenmue at all. It would be crazy to raise that much money. I really hope you guys have it in you.

OuterLimits

Hmm. I hope it makes it to 10 million, but that seems unlikely. Perhaps I will donate though near the end if it looks like it might make it to that amount.

You have the wrong idea on what Yu Suzuki means when he says 'open world'. I have no idea why anyone would think of Shenmue III like a GTA or Ubisoft game. Even if Yu Suzuki had a budget of 100 million it still wouldn't be like those games. Reaching the 10 million goal would simply allow him to make the game like the previous two with all the fancy bells and whistles. AKA a smallish area (maybe a little bigger than the last two games) to fully explore with a lot of little details crammed in. It's never going to be structured like GTA or Assassins Creed.

And no offence, but saying you hope this doesn't reach 10 million because you don't want it to be 'open world' is one of the dumbest things I've read in this thread. The more money raised the better the game will be. It's as simple as that. That's why we have to do everything we can now while we still can to raise as much money as possible.

Hynad

Banned
You have the wrong idea on what Yu Suzuki means when he says 'open world'. I have no idea why anyone would think of Shenmue III like a GTA or Ubisoft game. Even if Yu Suzuki had a budget of 100 million it still wouldn't be like those games. Reaching the 10 million goal would simply allow him to make the game like the previous two with all the fancy bells and whistles. AKA a smallish area (maybe a little bigger than the last two games) to fully explore with a lot of little details crammed in. It's never going to be structured like GTA or Assassins Creed.

And no offence, but saying you hope this doesn't reach 10 million because you don't want it to be 'open world' is one of the dumbest things I've read in this thread. The more money raised the better the game will be. It's as simple as that. That's why we have to do everything we can now while we still can to raise as much money as possible.

Suzuki-san said he doesn't want to make the game bigger, but deeper, more intimate. A lot like the first game was compared to the second. And I couldn't be more pleased with that, since I thought the first game offered a tighter experience compared to the second game.

Here:

While Shenmue II offered a bigger map compared to the original Shenmue, Suzuki has said that for Shenmue III he is looking to make a smaller, more detailed world. “Ever since [Shenmue II] I always had decided that ‘for the next game, I’m going to go much deeper.’” Suzuki said. Suzuki has said that he is looking to focus on giving the characters far more depth in how they act as they inhabit the world of Shenmue III and how they react to the player’s decisions.

I feel like Shenmue 2 really nailed the feeling and interaction you would get in being in an enormous city like Hong Kong. You can't really expect someone to open up such a degree of their life to someone in reality, so those types of things don't need to exist. Really, if I was in hong kong, and saw some dude following me everywhere I went, I'd probably get on high alert lol.

You misunderstood me, or partially misunderstood me. I'm not saying they need to open up to Ryo, I'm saying they have a persistence and identity that isn't dependent on you. They each had a unique look and daily activities. Everyone had a home to go into, every home had an owner. They weren't just background decorations, the NPC's weren't just props. You wouldn't pass someone and then 3 streets down pass them again, even when you aren't looking at them they are going about there day. It made the game a bit more personal.

The reason they had to cut back in S2 is I'm sure because they couldn't have like 10x the amount of characters and still give it the same level of care. Technical issues abound too I'm sure, pop in was a much bigger deal in S2, they probably couldn't handle that many unique characters. I'm not faulting the game for this, I'm just saying Shenmue 1's handling of NPC was insanely impressive and I doubt there's been a game since then that can match that... until S3 from what I'm inferring from Yu.

There's also clones in S2, I've seen the guy with the sweaty wifebeater pass by himself a few times.

Qvoth

Never played the previous games, I'm more concerned about the qtes tbh, it looks like we'll be having them for the simplest of things (jumping over some rocks in the ks video)
I understand this series basically started qte, but I mean in this day and age they're done to death and I think it's fair to say they're generally not well liked

Tuffty

Sounds like the plans for Shenmue 3 will be for a deeper, more intimate game than Shenmue 2. Not bigger, but smaller. Yet more detailed. So basically, like the first game. Which sounds great! As much as I love Shenmue 2, the first one was a tighter, more focused, and more intricate experience. If the goal for Shenmue 3 is to make it like first game, in that regard, but pushed further, then it's pretty exciting

Theonik

There were people threatening to back out of bloodstained if it got a WiiU version. Nothing is impossible.

Is there really not going to be a physical version for PS4?
As of this writing no. If they strike a deal with a publisher I guess yes. They cannot self-publish physical PS4 copies. Blame Sony, or God.

Zerojul

Is there really not going to be a physical version for PS4?

There may be one later, but maybe not as a reward for the KS campain, as this excerpt from the FAQs tends to indicate :

The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter will only be offering the digital download version for the PlayStation Network. If a physical copy was added as a reward, an announcement would be made on the update page.
I think the bolded part has been added recently, like today. They know it's one of the main demands from backers.

Erevador

There may be one later, but maybe not as a reward for the KS campain, as this excerpt from the FAQs tends to indicate :

I think the bolded part has been added recently, like today. They know it's one of the main demands from backers.
FASCINATING. That was just updated.

This is also updated from what it was earlier.
Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet. If other platform versions were added as rewards, an announcement would be made on the update page.
Interesting...

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
As of this writing no. If they strike a deal with a publisher I guess yes. They cannot self-publish physical PS4 copies. Blame Sony, or God.

Big time bummer, as I pretty much only buy physical games. I dropped $150 on Bloodstained for the physical copy and goodies, and would love to support Shenmue on PS4, but not if I'm forced to go digital.

Guess I'll wait and hope.

Could you please elaborate on the options? I would love to play them but I dont have a dreamcast.

if you have an xbox/xbox 360 you can get shenmue 2 and it comes with a movie detailing the first game

there's also emulation with nullDC or demul which is what im doing now

there's options but its very limited. even though im emulating i still want an HD collection

Theonik

Big time bummer, as I pretty much only buy physical games. I dropped $150 on Bloodstained for the physical copy and goodies, and would love to support Shenmue on PS4, but not if I'm forced to go digital.

Guess I'll wait and hope.
You will just have to wait, they just updated the FAQ so the ps4 physical copies might be imminent.

I think people is going to be surprised how much the game is going to get the last days of the campaign, not sure if 10 million is possible, but at least 6 I think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom