• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

openrob

Clearly, you are missing the best one.

lpshen_56_34moto-4.gif

I guess if you guys are seriously going to try youtubers, I may as well mention Chuggaconroy. I've only really heard of him in passing, but he seems to focus heavily on RPGs so Shenmue would probably be right up their alley.

v1Zlgo.gif

vMLVJ5.gif

MilkBeard

So much better. Like I said, the first's char design is some of the best, when you look through the tech it was made with. Holds up well today. Love how culturally specific all the characters are.

Yeah, I was just playing Shenmue II. One of the elements that holds up really well is the faces of the main characters. They put so much attention to detail. It's like, even the way they animate as well still seems pretty natural. It's surprising. Ryo's old face is very iconic to me, so I hope they get it closer to the original.

master15

So much better. Like I said, the first's char design is some of the best, when you look through the tech it was made with. Holds up well today. Love how culturally specific all the characters are.

Yes, a lot of the models are really well-done. Frankly Lan Di's model is still one of my favourite. It's amazing that this model still holds up after all this time;

10.jpg

21.jpg

Theonik

Thats me haha
Nice!

Lord Karnage of Classic Game Room is already backing the project as of two days ago, but hasn't sent out more word about it than that.

He reviewed the first Shenmue last November. "It's about time, right?"

Big Sega fan, though I'm not sure if he knows about what the fans have been up to.
I really love Mark's videos. I hadn't caught his channel in a while and saw his Shenmue review the other day. The line where he said "When you say something bad about Shenmue, Sonic the Hedgehog descends from the heavens and slaps you" made me laugh pretty hard
and made me think of Krejlooc

master15

Yeah, I was just playing Shenmue II. One of the elements that holds up really well is the faces of the main characters. They put so much attention to detail. It's like, even the way they animate as well still seems pretty natural. It's surprising. Ryo's old face is very iconic to me, so I hope they get it closer to the original.

I dug out some old screens when someone got Ryo's passport model and placed it in-game;

w159577120.jpg

w159577112.jpg

w159577103.jpg

I hope Suzuki and company don't stray too far from the original designs.

Theonik

I really like the kitten side-quest in Shenmue I the more I think about it
It's mother was run over by Lan Di's car on his way to kill Ryo's father you can see the emotional connection if you take the quest seriously in your play-through.

openrob

Wow ! Nice to meet you ! Do you have a youtube channel ?
I do, but not really anything special tbh. Was just personal stuff for ages.
Was thinking of starting a video log and this whole thing has kind of motivated me!

I also travel a bit so was going to vlog about that.
You can see my Shenmue 3 announcement reaction video though! https://youtu.be/iMyxGjByXrw

Also feel free to look at the rest of my pilgrimage pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127489465@N08/sets

Shadders

He said the Witcher 2 not 3. They were able to massively ramp up their budget thanks to the success of W2. Polish game developer wages are still 2-4 times lower than the ones you'd find in other European countries and even less than you'd find in the US. Not sure what Japanese developer wages are like. I recall hearing they weren't very high.

I just mentioned Witcher 3 as it's a little more relevant as it's on current gen. A colleague of mine went to work at CD Project and he was getting a pay rise over what he was earning in the UK. So it's not like the whole team are on poor salaries.

Mr. RPG

In the first game if you practiced your moves and trained the to an 'advance' stage you were typically rewarded with some pretty flashy stuff which altered the moves and animation.

On a side note I know in Suzuki's AMA he mention Ryo's model wasn't final but I really hope they stick to the passport models.

zWFizQZh.jpg

Where did you find this new model of Ryo? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Erevador

I love absolutely everything about Dobuita. It manages to be both one of most grounded settings in any game, and one of the more romantically nostalgic. The time Ryo spends there really has the flavor of youth about it.

It reminds me of some of my favorite Japanese New Wave films.

Looks like the $ per backer has increased slightly, now it's up to $80.20 per backer (This is an average not an exact measurement). Last time there was an estimate for that it was I think around $78-$79.

Looks like faith has been restored somewhat. Thank god.

Jonm1010

Banned
Ok a couple of things, I saw the initial reveal of the kickstarter and then the following (false) controversy that Sony was funding the game already, but what is confusing me is the 10 million dollar figure.

Why was that not included in the initial kickstarter page and why hasn't it been added?

5 mil seems in reach but 10 seems like it is pushing it at this point. But it seems like to get the true game we need 10 million. Which I originally thought 5 million was needed.

Guess it is all a little bit confusing if you advent been keeping up with every new tidbit.

batfax

Ok a couple of things, I saw the initial reveal of the kickstarter and then the following (false) controversy that Sony was funding the game already, but what is confusing me is the 10 million dollar figure.

Why was that not included in the initial kickstarter page and why hasn't it been added?

5 mil seems in reach but 10 seems like it is pushing it at this point. But it seems like to get the true game we need 10 million. Which I originally thought 5 million was needed.

Guess it is all a little bit confusing if you advent been keeping up with every new tidbit.

2 million is the minimum to get the game made. Basically, we'd probably be looking at a plot point to plot point adventure game. It gives the fans what they want (that is, finally seeing where the story goes) in the format that's most desired: A game.

The 10 million figure comes from the AMA of it being the amount required to have a full open world. It's the best possible form of the game. Whether or not this goal is met, with the funding there is now we still get to see the story continue.

Its getting ridiculous that they havent confirmed the stretch goal, sleeping or not. Really ridiculous.

I agree. But it's probably worth noting that they're also maybe on their way back to Japan from E3 on top of resting. I do wish they'd just include the new info from the AMA in the main Kickstarter page though.

Looks like the $ per backer has increased slightly, now it's up to $80.20 per backer (This is an average not an exact measurement). Last time there was an estimate for that it was I think around $78-$79.

Looks like faith has been restored somewhat. Thank god.

In regards to actual backer numbers I was doing some comparison with Bloodstained, Yooka, Torment and Project Eternity today. Currently Shenmue has 43,797 backers, at around the same time Bloodstained had ~29k, Yooka ~44k, Eternity ~43k and Torment ~46k.

One thing to note is that Bloodstained ended up with fewer backers overall but more funds thanks to a much higher per backer rate of $85, Torment/Eternity were $54 and $56 (sorry I'm doing this off the top of my head and I can't remember which was which) and Yooka-Laylee's was $40-something after converting it from GBP.

So I guess the good news is that Shenmue III is currently sitting in the higher per backer club, but also hanging with the more backers gang at the same time. The bad news however is that for Shenmue to significantly finish over $6 million in funding it will need to beat either the higher backer rate or the higher backer number or, ideally, both.

Its getting ridiculous that they havent confirmed the stretch goal, sleeping or not. Really ridiculous.

Honestly with the shenanigans that have been happening with people dropping out of the high tier pledge, therefore causing big drops in the total, I'd be a little gunshy about 'confirming' the stretch goal until they are comfortably over it.

A Shenmue fan that pledged 10k today to Kickstarter helps run a school in Guilin, China. http://goo.gl/Vnxz6j (He was inspired by Shenmue)

http://i.imgur.com/b8Bc9z0.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

That is an amazing story.

Also crazy that there are other people in that thread disappointed the 10k slot was snatched from them. They need to create some more high value rewards for these folks.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
We need to get PewDiePie on board!!

Let's start spamming PewDiePie's twitter requesting him to play through Shenmue 1 and 2 to help S3's kickstarter. lol

And post gifs. I'll try to make new gifs when I play through later today.

https://d.maxfile.ro/cmwpzyhiaq.gif[/im g][/QUOTE]

You want to give his followers this amount of power:

[QUOTE]Yu Suzuki's thanks and praise. +[B] Be able to participate in surveys and vote in polls for the ideas you want to see in the game.[/B][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/tracy-morgan-hell-no-ggucs.gif

As a longtime fan of Yu Suzuki and a HUGE Shenmue fan (though admittedly not as large as some of you) I am down to help edit video, have been playing Shenmue 2 import on my laptop (and tried the first on my phone) and am even betting I can get together a group of friends to do some live action silly stuff to promote the kickstarter.

I kid you not, ever since I first got my hands on the Dreamcast video CD that had a bunch of movie previews, I dreamt of Shenmue. Then after playing the first one on my DC, I would daydream about the game. About the birds overhead, the planes flying overhead, the cherry blossom petals at this special garden near here.

Oriel

I don't blame the KS team for holding off announcing they've reached their latest milestone given they're only 13k over. Probably best to hold off until the stretch goal target has been comfortably cleared.

Trojan X

Banned
They should add a new $55 tier that includes two copies for those willing to spend that full price. Gift one to your friend, or get it for both PC and PS4.

They need to add a limited $1000 tier where you are an NPC in Shenmue world (that is, your name, age, nationality, etc).

They need to add a limited $2000 tier where they model the NPC after you and your name, and give it a fully fledged "life" in the Shenmue world, adding Yu Suzuki's touch. Also includes the info in $1000 tier.

Genius! The NPC reward is an awesome idea! Really, it works.

Bothering youtubers like PewDiePie could easily backfire. And aren't the majority of their fans teens anyway? You need a credit or debit card for kickstarter.

I agree. Just because PewDiePie has the biggest audience on Youtube doesn't mean they are gonna benefit Shenmue.

batfax

eh, I'd rather the npcs in China actually be Chinese. I don't really want to see any npcs or photos of backers in the game to be honest.

Agree, mostly. I actually saw one idea around somewhere for photos I didn't totally hate. Something like those photo walls at certain restaurants and backers could get on there. Iunno if such a place would exist in Shenmue 3 though.

Trojan X

Banned
eh, I'd rather the npcs in China actually be Chinese. I don't really want to see any npcs or photos of backers in the game to be honest.

Of course, the majority should be chinese but don't ignore the tourist, especially in 1987. All depend on where the settings are.

Erevador

I think it would be funny if there was a travel agency, like in Shenmue 1, and there were photos of people from around the world on the wall. That'd be a great way to incorporate backer images in a way that made sense.

Oriel

As a longtime fan of Yu Suzuki and a HUGE Shenmue fan (though admittedly not as large as some of you]) I am down to help edit video, have been playing Shenmue 2 import on my laptop (and tried the first on my phone) and am even betting I can get together a group of friends to do some live action silly stuff to promote the kickstarter.

I kid you not, ever since I first got my hands on the Dreamcast video CD that had a bunch of movie previews, I dreamt of Shenmue. Then after playing the first one on my DC, I would daydream about the game. About the birds overhead, the planes flying overhead, the cherry blossom petals at this special garden near here.

Long time myself where it's nearly 20 years ago when I first came across something intriguing called 'Project Berkley' in a 1998 issue of Computer and Video Games (now sadly defunct)........

17~0.jpg

It's crazy to think 20 years on from when I first saw the above image of Shen Hua I will be seeing it properly in Shenmue III (a lot of the concept art detailed in magazines at the time where of her and other characters that will be shown in III, like Niao Sun shown on the KS page:

Screenshot_2015-05-05-23-25-33-1_zps96dv7e9t.png

hxAHFKP.jpg

Project Berkley CGI video from 1998.

I believe the Lan Di render on the KS page is also from the 'Project Berkley' video.

Bothering youtubers like PewDiePie could easily backfire. And aren't the majority of their fans teens anyway? You need a credit or debit card for kickstarter.

It's still worth a try. Pretty much anything is at the moment. It's now or never. We gotta give it all we've got.

benzy

You want to give his followers this amount of power:

tracy-morgan-hell-no-ggucs.gif

Lol. I would be concerned if they were actually asking for ideas from backers, but that's not what Suzuki has hinted at. The polls are for us to choose between ideas and perhaps character designs that Suzuki has come up with, not ideas of our own. He's basically trying to make us feel like we've helped create the game, but within boundaries that won't compromise Suzuki's creative freedom and pandering to ideas from Internet strangers.

So even with the polls, everything is still Suzuki's ideas and design. We just get to vote one over the other.

clem84

Gold Member
The lowest you can pledge to get a copy of the game is 29$. 10 000 000 / 29 = 344827.

Now surely there are at least 344 827 Shenmue fans out there. COME ON PEOPLE! Let's find them! :)

Long time myself where it's nearly 20 years ago when I first came across something intriguing called 'Project Berkley' in a 1998 issue of Computer and Video Games (now sadly defunct)........

It's crazy to think 20 years on from when I first saw the above image of Shen Hua I will be seeing it properly in Shenmue III (a lot of the concept art detailed in magazines at the time where of her and other characters that will be shown in III, like Niao Sun shown on the KS page:

I believe the Lan Di render on the KS page is also from the 'Project Berkley' video.
Man, pulling at my nostalgia strings now. Got some nice memories hitting my cerebrum right now. I remember Project Berkeley, the longer video preview of Shenmue, the history of the game as a VF spin-off for Saturn.

One of the recent things I did was find some 3D model extracts of the characters. Was planning to render some stuff as a love letter to Shenmue game creators, but got so busy with my last few quarters of college. Then Shenmue 3 came out of left field!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom