• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Bringing $29 to the game. Third game I back via Kickstarter after Broken Age and Massive Chalice.

Bl@de

Great. Now that I see the stretch goals I'm sad because I know it won't reach 10 million. I just hope we get the advanced free battle. And I really wonder how the balance between the areas will be if one has all the extra content and the other only story. Hope they have a good plan for that.

El-Suave

When I look at the Bard's Tale Kickstarter, I'm starting to think that even a better campaign might not have the desired effect on the numbers for Shenmue. That one is run much better by people who have plenty of KS experience, but it isn't setting the world on fire either. The base interest in the game needs to be there for a good campaign to really help.

Redtale

Neo Member
I strongly believe because Sony will have it handled.... but they will handle it depending on how successful the kickstarter is. If it is very successful (may need to go beyond $6 million) then you'll get a physical disc, but if it ends at $4 million then you get a digital copy only. That's the most feasible reason.

If Sony is the reason for the lack of physical PS4 copies, they're hurting the potential of this kickstarter.

N.A

Banned
People do understand that all the areas mentioned will be in the game even if it doesn't make any more money right? And also the game will still be "open world" in the sense you'll still be running freely around these areas like the original games?

The stretch goals are to flesh the areas out with typical open world features such as sidequests and minigames.

The most important stretch goal to me in the $6 million "Advanced Free Battle" system which I think they will be able to hit.

I'm just waiting on the updated tiers now, i'm willing to up my $185 pledge to around $500 if there is some better rewards.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Well, I just backed for $29. I really, really want Shenmue III, but am also really, really turned off by the lack of a physical reward tier for PS4. Seeing the campaign grind to a standstill finally pushed me over the edge to support. I don't even want the digital copy, I just want to support a bit because I feel so bad that it's slowed down this much...

OrochiJR

Gold Member
Well it sucks that Kickstarters only last for one month. If someone told me years, or months ago that Shenmue 3 would one day be kickstarted I would have put money on the side each month and gone for one of the high end pledges. As of now I can only afford the 160$ tier with a clean concience... -_-

Anyway, if it does not reach the ~10 million that Yu Suzuki hopes for, what are the chances that there will be another Shenmue 3 kickstarter? Is making two Kickstarters for one project even allowed in theory? I would love to donate for the game again sometime in the future.

N.A

Banned
Well it sucks that Kickstarters only last for one month. If someone told me years, or months ago that Shenmue 3 would one day be kickstarted I would have put money on the side each month and gone for one of the high end pledges. As of now I can only afford the 160$ tier with a clean concience... -_-

Anyway, if it does not reach the ~10 million that Yu Suzuki hopes for, what are the chances that there will be another Shenmue 3 kickstarter? Is making two Kickstarters for one project even allowed in theory? I would love to donate for the game again sometime in the future.

It's possible they'll open paypal funding after the end of the kickstarter like Star Citizen so people can continue to pledge.

Dremark

Banned
Also it's not even close to being the most successfully crowd funded game of all time, Star Citizen is at over $80 million dollars funded.

Well Star Citizen did it's own think so it's hard to really compare. Really amazing what they did with it.

Also kind of makes me want to laugh thinking about how EA put Wing Commander down when they could have pulled this type of cash.

Also it's not even close to being the most successfully crowd funded game of all time, Star Citizen is at over $80 million dollars funded.

"Only" 2.134.374 $ were done through Kickstarter.

The rest was done through other channels and stuff like selling space ships etc.

danwalton

Neo Member
The Guardian are running an article about Shenmue (and FFVII remake) today. I'm a huge fan of Shenmue and have already backed a high tier on the Kickstarter, so I couldn't sit by and let them report that Sony are providing most of the game's investment.

I signed up for the Guardian specifically to post my first comment to set them straight, and they have responded by updating the story with a link to the Kickstarter page!

Look out for the comment by me, danwalton84, at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/26/shenmue-final-fantasy-vii-and-why-we-shouldnt-entirely-give-in-to-nostalgia

Hynad

Banned
"Only" 2.134.374 $ were done through Kickstarter.

The rest was done through other channels and stuff like selling space ships etc.

Shenmue is most likely going to end up being the most successful game kickstarter in history.

And about Star Citizen: It's been under crowd funding for like 2 centuries... No wonder it's at 80M.

MaxiLive

Bringing $29 to the game. Third game I back via Kickstarter after Broken Age and Massive Chalice.

Wohoo! Thanks for joining the cause :D

FUUUUUU, this kinda makes me sad in a way. We're not getting 10 million, and now that I know what I'm probably going to miss out on it makes me saaaad.

On the bright side, maybe when/if they let us use PayPal after the kick-starter we might eventually make it to 10 million and beyond.

Don't be sad! Still be hyped that Shenmue 3 is coming ^.^ Weeeeeeeeeeee. I'm sure even with $3-4 Million the base game will be great it just means the areas won't have as much interactivity to them which is a shame but still perfectly fine! Also if this is heading to PC hopefully modders can get to work of tweaking the base game over the years to add some of the missed goals (hopefully there won't be any!).

Also is anyone planning of making a thread about the Twitch stream plus new goals?

MaxiLive

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. There will be a new thread for the Twitch stream. :)

Whoop! Whoever is making it should add the new stretch goals, make sure Yu Suzuki's statement about Kickstarter funds is in there plus HYPE full of images :p

Am I the only one that things 10 million is unreasonable?

I still put in my $29.

Knowing how video games are made then nope, It is actually reasonably cheap for the features they plan to add. That said from a Kickstarter point of view it is fairly pricey as the stretch goals usually offer a lot more but they may also have backing from investors or a smaller project to work on so the goals are more attainable.

Hynad

Banned
Am I the only one that things 10 million is unreasonable?

I still put in my $29.

For the kind of experience that Shenmue is, no, it's not unreasonable.

Is it possible for it to reach that goal? That's an other question. And since I wish to remain positive for the time being, I won't answer it. =P

Hubble

Damn, these stretch goals are just really, really bad, especially at a time where this Kickstarter needs serious invigoration.

The whole Kickstarter is a mess and the Shenmue 3 team do not understand it, and how to run a successful campaign.

They are looking way too inward. The majority of the people looking at this Kickstarter have no idea what those stretch goals mean forgetting how or if they are related to Shenmue I and II. The stretch goals should have more wide appeal and be easy to understand like PS4 physical copies, Expanded Village with Real-life Modeling, and stuff like that.

The stretch goals need to be like a sales pitch to persuade new backers or current backers to up their pledges, and it doesn't.

Schnauzer

For the kind of experience that Shenmue is, no, it's not unreasonable.

Is it possible for it to reach that goal? That's an other question. And since I wish to remain positive for the time being, I won't answer it. =P

I mean from one kickstarter.

Hynad

Banned
Damn, these stretch goals are just really, really bad, especially at a time where this Kickstarter needs serious invigoration.

The whole Kickstarter is a mess and the Shenmue 3 team do not understand it, and how to run a successful campaign.

They are looking way too inward. The majority of the people looking at this Kickstarter have no idea what those stretch goals mean forgetting how or if they are related to Shenmue I and II. The stretch goals should have more wide appeal and easy to understand like PS4 physical copies, Expanded Village with Real-life Modeling, and stuff like that.

The stretch goals need to be like a sales pitch to persuade new backers or current backers to up their pledges, and it doesn't.

That's why there is a Twitch stream session later tonight. To answer all those questions people may have about those stretch goals and what to expect from them...

AniHawk

And no I'm not adding Yooka to the other graph, since I really don't have the sanity to convert pounds into dollars for all 47 days.

wouldn't it be a matter of taking the data points you already have for the pound amounts and then using a formula to easily convert the entire row into dollars and using that as your new set of data points?

not that you have to do it, but you wouldn't need to do it one at a time if you had a spreadsheet, i think.

Theonik

wouldn't it be a matter of taking the data points you already have for the pound amounts and then using a formula to easily convert the entire row into dollars and using that as your new set of data points?

not that you have to do it, but you wouldn't need to do it one at a time if you had a spreadsheet, i think.
It creates an interesting case of currency conversion. The final amount gets converted by the final exchange rate when the project gets funded. But when people decide whether to back they are looking at different values. It's apples and oranges.

Hubble

That's why there is a Twitch stream session later tonight. To answer all those questions people may have about those stretch goals and what to expect from them...

The casual gamer is not on Twitch especially on a Friday. Again, the Kickstarter is looking way too inward and need to target a broader audience. I know a lot of people, for example, who backed Bloodstained not necessarily because they were huge Castlevania fans that knew what a Choubu Area Expanded Kung-Fu Mastery System is, but because of its appeal in reaching to them and just being a gamer. In Bloodstained, for example, everyone knows what a Hardcover Art Book is for a stretch goal and so forth.

Hynad

Banned
The casual gamer is not on Twitch especially on a Friday. Again, the Kickstarter is looking way too inward and need to target a broader audience. I know a lot of people, for example, who backed Bloodstained not necessarily because they were huge Castlevania fans that knew what a Choubu Area Expanded Kung-Fu Mastery System is, but because of its appeal in reaching to them and just being a gamer. In Bloodstained, for example, everyone knows what a Hardcover Art Book is for a stretch goal and so forth.

The ignorant casual gamer doesn't back games on kickstarter. -___-

And the video from the twitch stream will most likely find its way to the Kickstarter page.

Hubble

The ignorant casual gamer doesn't back games on kickstarter. -___-

And the video from the twitch stream will most likely find its way to the Kickstarter page.

I disagree. I think a lot of casuals reach the Kickstarter page in some way or the other. It could have been from reading gaming news on IGN, Gamespot where it was linked, by a friend, a forum, etc., etc., and that is when the campaign page needs to be persuasive to make a sale and not just target the hardcore Shenmue fans. The video from the Twitch stream will go on the Kickstarter page. That doesn't solve the big issues though. That was your idea.

benzy

Being an open world 3D game just lends itself to these types of stretch goals since they have to do more in terms of game development. It's obvious they'd rather, and should, use the money to expand the game than just waste it on some hardcover book. I think the problem lies more in the lack of new and attractive pledge tiers rather than the stretch goals.

Oriel

Shenmue III KS also has a art book:

yIvCyMV.png

nasax

I've been out of the loop for a couple days now so I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the extended stretch goals.

Hynad

Banned
I disagree. I think a lot of casuals reach the Kickstarter page in some way or the other. It could have been from reading gaming news on IGN, Gamespot where it was linked, by a friend, a forum, etc., etc., and that is when the campaign page needs to be persuasive to make a sale and not just target the hardcore Shenmue fans. The video from the Twitch stream will go on the Kickstarter page. That doesn't solve the big issues though. That was your idea.

My idea is that people complain too much over nothing.

Oh wow, look at those stretch goals. We gotta try our best, guys. I really hope they can clean up the KS 100%, refocus their efforts and maybe talk about PS4 physical stuff (or add something physical at a good price for PS4 like a boxed manual with a written story of 1 & 2 and a nice hardcover that's a bit cheaper for that audience). Was considering stepping my pledge down because I don't really need the capsule toy, but now I'll probably just make another account and get a $30 pledge so I can have PC physical and PS4 digital, if funds allow.

I never played a Shenmue game, just saw about 30 minutes of gameplay from the original. Seems very interesting and almost anti-game which I admire so I decided to Kickstart it =)

Has there been any word/rumor or a remaster for the first two games, are emulators worth it?

Spaghetti

I never played a Shenmue game, just saw about 30 minutes of gameplay from the original. Seems very interesting and almost anti-game which I admire so I decided to Kickstart it =)

Has there been any word/rumor or a remaster for the first two games, are emulators worth it?
whatever remasters are entirely in sega's hands, so it's unknown what they'll even pull the trigger on those.

if your pc is up to scratch, emulating with demul/nulldc/chankcast can be done.

I quickly put together a new episode in my shenmuetalk-series where I discuss the latest stretch goals-reveal and the possibilities of a future extended campaign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2TC8iNa4Ac&list=PLcLC9mFS4Xzp6UW3aNIWoAsxHQ6m-xfUp&index=5

Excellent point in letting the backers vote for which stretch goals they think are the most important in getting funded. They should do a poll at the end of the kick starter and shuffle the money around more evenly. And yes, ditching the subtitles for other languages and putting that money into making the core game better is a good idea. I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom