• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furoba

I know people want subtitles, but that's something that could have been folded in with the other subtitle stretch goals around the $2-3 million mark. In this case, the size of a certain demographic makes no difference or prominence over another type of language or the quality of the subtitles.

Were I them, I'd do the following:

- lay out a set of social media achievements (tweets, retweets, fanart, etc).
- if not today, add more tiers/merchandise options
- spur their fanbase to drive visibility as much as possible; there are scattered efforts to make banners, videos, etc. and they need to be unified through the KS
- open up Paypal support
- clearly lay out what it would mean to get to $10 million and beyond

I'd add:

- Replace the godawful dub from the pitch video with subtitles (Yu Suzuki) and voice acting from Shenmue 2 (Ryo/Shenhua scene).
- Include a "What's Shenmue?" video for newcomers. (not sure if they could get permission from Sega to use the Shenmue 1 cinematic feature included with Shenmue 2 Xbox)
- Add concept art. Lot's of it. Daily.
- Explain each stretch goal in detail in video format.
- Add some footage from highlight scenes from Shenmue 2, and have Yu Suzuki commenton those.
- Feature 2001-2003 pre-alpha Shenmue 3 DC/XB footage.(some people would kill for this, and it would massively boost the campaign)
- Make it possible to choose from a list of optional rewards. (like just the art book etc)

Backflip

I'd add:

- Replace the godawful dub from the pitch video with subtitles (Yu Suzuki) and voice acting from Shenmue 2 (Ryo/Shenhua scene).
- Include a "What's Shenmue?" video for newcomers. (not sure if they could get permission from Sega to use the Shenmue 1 cinematic feature included with Shenmue 2 Xbox)
- Add some footage from highlight scenes from Shenmue 2, and have Yu Suzuki commenton those.
- Feature 2001-2003 pre-alpha Shenmue 3 DC/XB footage.(some people would kill for this, and it would massively boost the campaign)
- Make it possible to choose from a list of optional rewards. (like just the art book etc)

Those are a bunch of great idead!

Theonik

Where can I get the Shenmue Defense Force banner? I'm working on my new avatar and I might need it.
Here is the 90px original
uVmOfKt.png

Here is my 100px version
So1C1Ym.png

Here is another
9Y4ozD8.png

I'd add:

This is great. They even released a dubbed interview of Ryos voice actor. WHY.

Also, "Magic Maze" is apparently Yu Suzuki's name for procedural generation. This could have a huge effect on the game world indeed.

Yes, they already used it in Shenmue 2 for the Kowloon buildings, and perhaps the forest scenes at the end.

Then that's something that should be clearly named in the stretch goals, because to a layman, "magic maze" could mean anything and everything.

You have to give people clear directives on what your goal is - "procedurally-generated open world" is more straightforward and to the point. They should be hyping that up as the end goal. That's a huge selling point by itself.

painey

I want to support the game - hell, I bought a DC for Shenmue in 2009 just to try it - but I can't run it on PC, and don't have a PS4.. so I'm boned.

I want to support the game - hell, I bought a DC for Shenmue in 2009 just to try it - but I can't run it on PC, and don't have a PS4.. so I'm boned.

Will you be able to run it on PC or have a PS4 by December 2017 at the earliest? If so then it might be worth pledging anyway.

Out of curiosity, for those projects that do allow PayPal after it is over, are they usually just in the form of a donation, or do they generally still offer some type of reward(s)?

I know Star Citizen did the ships, but I wasn't sure if that was the norm or the exception.

Mugen08

Also, come to think of it, is there any Steam Community Group for Shenmue III? Why is it that Shenmue III is not on Greenlight? The discussions are often console-oriented, maybe forgetting that there is probably quite a bit of exposure to be had on Steam.

Theonik

Then that's something that should be clearly named in the stretch goals, because to a layman, "magic maze" could mean anything and everything.

You have to give people clear directives on what your goal is - "procedurally-generated open world" is more straightforward and to the point. They should be hyping that up as the end goal. That's a huge selling point by itself.
All those names are meaningful to fans since they talk to old marketing, and things they said before. You are absolutely right they need to sell them more because to anyone who realises what some of those higher goals mean they should be through the roof.

The twitch stream should make everything clear I hope.

Furoba

Bloodstained had a ton of famous YouTube celebrities market it, it simply reached 5 million.

Maybe some youtubers might help in return for massively subscribing to their channels? Those with their incomes depending on it, won't do it for any less.

Spaghetti

i think i'm going to start collecting footage later for a "what's shenmue?" video. i've got the editing itch, so i might as well put it to use on this.

i think i'm going to start collecting footage later for a "what's shenmue?" video. i've got the editing itch, so i might as well put it to use on this.

That's fantastic. Like I said in my previous posts, I think more things like this that explain the appeal of the game in different ways will help get those who don't understand Shenmue to become interested in it, so I'm glad to see this.

Everybody are most welcome to contribute with what they can but it is not so easy to get the ball rolling for just anybody. One thing that maybe could be done towards the end is to setup a fanmade pre-stream before the (probably coming?) official final hours-stream? Potentially this could be done among the shenmuedojo/teamyu/shenmue500k etc. people jointly and maybe have it advertised on the Kickstarter. Maybe involving Corey Marshall, maybe moderated by someone like Adam Koralik or similar? But this is not a trivial thing to setup and it has to be somewhat professional to attract a larger audience. As the KS became an E3-surprise for everybody it was expected to take a while before the community had time to mobilize in a more serious way.

I like your idea, too, but I think something big from the fans needs to happen sooner rather than later if the game is to become the best it can be. No doubt your idea would work out well for the campaign, but if everyone waits until the end, it might be too late.

A big, fan community-made video would be impressive and would gain a lot of traction on social media. Maybe it could be as simple as finding someone who is willing to do the editing, someone who is willing to do the writing, and having the rest of the fans send in some footage and quotes that show why they love Shenmue.

SpaceHorror

Just got my copy of Shenmue for Dreamcast in. Unlike the copy I lost, it's actually complete. It came with the manuals and all four discs.

I received my video cable yesterday and my Dreamcast works fine. Booted up the only remaining disc from the aforementioned missing copy of Shenmue and it worked great. My save file from 2008 was still present and loaded right up. I think I'm going to start over, though.

Usually I can't wait to get off work to play a new game, today I can't wait to get off to play a game I first played when I was 14 years old. Combine that with the last time I played it there was no hope of a Shenmue 3 and ooo boy, strange times.

Usually I can't wait to get off work to play a new game, today I can't wait to get off to play a game I first played when I was 14 years old. Combine that with the last time I played it there was no hope of a Shenmue 3 and ooo boy, strange times.

I'm in exactly the same boat! I started replaying the first game on Monday, and yet here I am today still super-excited to go home and play it hahaha!

It holds up sooo well.

AAK

Maybe some youtubers might help in return for massively subscribing to their channels? Those with their incomes depending on it, won't do it for any less.

If a YouTube celebrity is desperate for subscribers, then I don't think their voice is loud enough anyway to give shenmue 3 a platform to reach its stretch goals. The youtubers bloodstained went to were all in great shape and made content for the kickstarter simultaneously which helped contribute to that game's funding.

You have to face the reality that those stretch goals are not happening. 5 mil or maybe 6 mill would be great at the current rate.

I would love for all of the battle ones to get reached. I could suffer without the extra mini-games, etc., as long as we have a great battle system.

Theonik

Wait? What?
The '90% comes from Sony' thing is the same as '90% comes from external funding' from Bloodstained. There is no mention of 90% anywhere in the Shenmue III communication, so the only obvious answer is people are extrapolating between the two.

I am not sure how one would regain the ground lost in the mainstream at this point. Only YS and his campaign can save us there.
Unless we do an #OccupyForklift movement and somehow make it into the news.

I already said in prev.post that the FUD is no longer a tangible thing imo.

But I do think there should be an attempt to reduce it, or at least have the media be aware that their assumptions are 'completely fucking wrong.' Look, I trust that most of these people are without malice, but are just not interested enough to actually care and do research about what they're talking about. Even guys like Greg Miller say uninformed stupid shit like "Sony doesn't care about Morpheus because so little time on-stage!" out of misinformation and poor perception of stuff.

So I don't want to berate them, but I do intend to correct them. Props to the one who commented on the Guardian article, for example.

Thus I'd rather Ys Net focus on getting their Kickstarter and end-game management in order, and most importantly, not treat this round of funding as an end-game in what they can achieve with this. I've said it before. Even if this KS only hits 5 million, I do think they could afford to 'go for a second round' next year if they have some sort of leverage that they can rely on, like maybe a Shenmue 1/2 port/remaster/whatever or a short demo to sell the potential of a 10 mil Shenmue 3. Basically something tangible to get people to be willing to drop another 3 million into it.

You know you'd think games media of all places should be the most informed about games...

I've long stopped believing that to be true. But not because I think they're incompetent, but that they're just regular people, and that their priorities can occasionally be all-over-the-place. A lot of the times.

Theonik

I already said in prev.post that the FUD is no longer a tangible thing imo.

But I do think there should be an attempt to reduce it, or at least have the media be aware that their assumptions are 'completely fucking wrong.' Look, I trust that most of these people are without malice, but are just not interested enough to actually care and do research about what they're talking about. Even guys like Greg Miller say uninformed stupid shit like "Sony doesn't care about Morpheus because so little time on-stage!" out of misinformation and poor perception of stuff.

So I don't want to berate them, but I do intend to correct them. Props to the one who commented on the Guardian article, for example.

Thus I'd rather Ys Net focus on getting their Kickstarter and end-game management in order, and most importantly, not treat this round of funding as an end-game in what they can achieve with this. I've said it before. Even if this KS only hits 5 million, I do think they could afford to 'go for a second round' next year if they have some sort of leverage that they can rely on, like maybe a Shenmue 1/2 port/remaster/whatever or a short demo to sell the potential of a 10 mil Shenmue 3. Basically something tangible to get people to be willing to drop another 3 million into it.
I do agree with your point, but I think correcting them is an exercise in futility though nothing stops people from trying. I'm not saying YS Net should waste any more time trying to address them, I am saying they should find more ways to communicate with the mainstream, more interviews, getting Sony to manifest their support in maybe getting PS4 copies printed in limited numbers for the KS, PS Blog articles etc etc.

We'll see. PayPal after the KS is over is a really good option.

I'm not saying YS Net should waste any more time trying to address them, I am saying they should find more ways to communicate with the mainstream, more interviews, getting Sony to manifest their support in maybe getting PS4 copies printed in limited numbers for the KS, PS Blog articles etc etc

This, I 100% agree.

The priority for Ys Net ( and Sony, where applicable) should be to basically drown us with Shenmue 3 news non-stop and give us more reason to kick-start, getting more coverage of the KS in general, etc, as much positive eyeballs as possible.

Dremark

Banned
The '90% comes from Sony' thing is the same as '90% comes from external funding' from Bloodstained. There is no mention of 90% anywhere in the Shenmue III communication, so the only obvious answer is people are extrapolating between the two.

Oh, your previous post said 95% so I ended up not connecting the dots. Admittedly I was lost so I may have missed it regardless.

Honestly this is just looking messier as time goes on and there's so much misinformation floating around. I'm starting to hope Sony just says to hell with it and just Peter Moores the game.

It wouldn't be the first successful gaming crowd fund to just cancel and use traditional funding IIRC.

Honestly this is just looking messier as time goes on and there's so much misinformation floating around. I'm starting to hope Sony just says to hell with it and just Peter Moores the game.

Adam Boyes already said that it's pretty unfeasible, because that would essentially transform it into a first-party deal, and unless SEGA is willing to sell the IP to Sony, Sony don't do first-party deals for IPs they don't own.

There's a reason why Sony in the past was never really taken seriously as a potential "saviour" of Shenmue, because of how they deal in absolutes when it comes to IP ownership. MS used to be more lenient with it, but even now they're doubling down on IP ownership. Seems like currently it's Oculus's turn for doing the whole "we'll fund IPs we don't own" stint.

Besides, This game is already happening. It's funded. Suzuki is developing it. There will be a Shenmue 3. There's no reason for Sony to want to swoop in anyway. The difference is whether or not we'd get a 5 million dollar Shenmue 3 or a 10 million dollar one.

Why won't Sony advertise the kick-starter on PSN? They're gonna advertise Shenmue III, yet not bother with further advertising the funding of it? : /

: (

Dremark

Banned
Adam Boyes already said that it's pretty unfeasible, because that would essentially transform it into a first-party deal, and unless SEGA is willing to sell the IP to Sony, Sony don't do first-party deals for IPs they don't own.

There's a reason why Sony in the past was never really taken seriously as a potential "saviour" of Shenmue, because of how they deal in absolutes when it comes to IP ownership. MS used to be more lenient with it, but even now they're doubling down on IP ownership. Seems like currently it's Oculus's turn for doing the whole "we'll fund IPs we don't own" stint.

Besides, This game is already happening. It's funded. Suzuki is developing it. There will be a Shenmue 3. There's no reason for Sony to want to swoop in anyway. The difference is whether or not we'd get a 5 million dollar Shenmue 3 or a 10 million dollar one.

To be fair I was half kidding saying that (I don't think Peter Moore can be used as a verb in a completely serious statement).

Honestly though, Sega knows the project isn't feasible for them, they might as well sell it to someone else. I mean really the only thing stopping it from happening that way is they already picked a different route for it and it's funded.

Why won't Sony advertise the kick-starter on PSN? They're gonna advertise Shenmue III, yet not bother with further advertising the funding of it? : /

: (

Because that space is probably paid for and they're not going to advertise something they aren't making money off of. All of the Kickstarter money goes to YsNet. Sony's third-party productions are only helping with publishing to the PS4 (maybe in exchange for exclusivity?) and marketing (which probably includes the E3 announcement and not much else).

The why won't Sony does this and that stuff all has the same answer. Because it's not their game or their Kickstarter. They're a business and aren't going to do things to be nice. It would be nice if they would but it's just not part of the deal.

MaxiLive

To be fair I was half kidding saying that (I don't think Peter Moore can be used as a verb in a completely serious statement).

Honestly though, Sega knows the project isn't feasible for them, they might as well sell it to someone else. I mean really the only thing stopping it from happening that way is they already picked a different route for it and it's funded.

The IP isn't though, the IP will be worth a lot if Sega were ever in a tough spot to sell it. Plus with the Kickstarter now and if Shenmue does because somewhat of a thing again Sega can use the IP for HD remakes, ports to other platforms and mobile spinoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom