• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Oh, your previous post said 95% so I ended up not connecting the dots. Admittedly I was lost so I may have missed it regardless.
It was more a tongue in cheek comment, but I definitely think there is a parallel being formed by the uninformed because well it makes sense.

Why won't Sony advertise the kick-starter on PSN? They're gonna advertise Shenmue III, yet not bother with further advertising the funding of it? : /
: (
I think after the mess Sony is trying to distance themselves from this campaign as much as possible, maybe at YS's request or to protect their asses and the Kickstarter.

Before the controversy they appeared prepared to back this project more and had said that the campaign was funded too fast and weren't prepared to explain how. If we don't hear from them by the end of the campaign we'll have a good idea of how this went down.

Honestly though, Sega knows the project isn't feasible for them, they might as well sell it to someone else. I mean really the only thing stopping it from happening that way is they already picked a different route for it and it's funded.
Think of this from SEGA's perspective. Holding onto the Shenmue brand costs them nothing. But the licensing income although small is tangible. They sell merchandising and are more than glad to embrace it as part of their history as seen in all-stars racing. Just not making Shenmue III. Now Yu Suzuki comes in asking to make Shenmue III, he gets a special deal because he's Yu Suzuki and it makes them look good. In the end they keep the IP which is now more valuable by the existence of Shenmue III (unless it sucks really hard) they make even more money from licensing. Possibly some money from Shenmue III sales and end up richer without doing anything.

On the other hand it makes little sense for anyone in this deal to buy the IP from SEGA because it would be expensive, and only make the deal more risky. Publishers like IPs are collateral unless they are IPs they can justify buying on their own which I think Shenmue isn't from Sony's perspective.

Yeah. Extended crowdfunding needs to happen for it to have any chance of going beyond $6 million.

It's a shame no famous popular rich game people seem to have owned a Dreamcast. But then they'd probably become one of them outside investors, right? Let's hope that's a thing. That at least one person like this guy exists for Shenmue.
So we're about $3.6 million USD. That's $6.4 million to go before the $10 million mark.

I can't believe there aren't 220,000 fans willing to chip in $29 for a full Shenmue game.
The most backers any game has managed to amass, that I'm aware of, is Broken Age with 87k. Bloodstained, the currently most funded game on Kickstarter, had 65k. There are more fans of these games/developers/genres, but they just never find their way to that "Back This Project" button for one reason or another.

Maybe if they added exploding kittens as a tier reward.

openrob

The Guardian are running an article about Shenmue (and FFVII remake) today. I'm a huge fan of Shenmue and have already backed a high tier on the Kickstarter, so I couldn't sit by and let them report that Sony are providing most of the game's investment.

I signed up for the Guardian specifically to post my first comment to set them straight, and they have responded by updating the story with a link to the Kickstarter page!

Look out for the comment by me, danwalton84, at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/26/shenmue-final-fantasy-vii-and-why-we-shouldnt-entirely-give-in-to-nostalgia

You are doing ther Lord's work Dan.

Jingo

The fact that the game is already funded and the release date is still too much far away trows people away of investing, many of us cant put money ahead knowing that the game will only come out at the end of 2017, and thats in the best case scenario, bet that if the game had a 2016 release date people would go more crazy about it.

The most backers any game has managed to amass, that I'm aware of, is Broken Age with 87k. Bloodstained, the currently most funded game on Kickstarter, had 65k. There are more fans of these games/developers/genres, but they just never find their way to that "Back This Project" button for one reason or another.

Over the course of the last decade I've heard repeatedly that Shenmue has a huge fanbase. Where are they now? Even starting from zero Shenmue 3 only needed around 345,000 people to purchase the $29 tier (and zero dollars for every other tier). That's NOT a lot of people in the new global economy.

Over the course of the last decade I've heard repeatedly that Shenmue has a huge fanbase. Where are they now? Even starting from zero Shenmue 3 only needed around 345,000 people to purchase the $29 tier (and zero dollars for every other tier). That's NOT a lot of people in the new global economy.
Yup, i know for a fact there are more than 50,000 shenmue fans in this world. Where the fuck are they now that shenmue needs our salvation?? :/

Chinner

Banned
Yeah. Extended crowdfunding needs to happen for it to have any chance of going beyond $6 million.

It's a shame no famous popular rich game people seem to have owned a Dreamcast. But then they'd probably become one of them outside investors, right? Let's hope that's a thing. That at least one person like this guy exists for Shenmue.

There should be a new $40 tier - Digital copy of Shenmue + kitten from Shenmue I returns to save your life

Hubble

Welk to be fair, 40-60,000 backers seem to be the average on a Kickstarter for video games. Look at how many backers Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee got. Usually, it is MUCH less if it's not a big title. I am expecting this KS to have about the same number of backers when it is over. Kickstarters need to be better advertised to the outside crowd.

RK128

Wow, just saw the new wave of stretch goals and....that is a bit unrealistic :(.

I mean, I get that the creator wants to have his game to be as huge as it can be....but this is a crowd funded game, not a full-on published tittle. So, I think cutting down on the stretch goals might be a good idea; I highly doubt the game will get all of them :(.

I expect the game to reach 6 million+ when all is said and done, as Mighty No. 9, Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained all show that you can get a lot of funding fast.

And who knows, with these stretch goals announced, now there is something major to discuss with the updates, so that way more people can become interested in the Kickstarter.

Spaghetti

good god, some people. say they want to know what yu meant by 10 million, then start saying "oh that's so unrealistic why did they put them up"

master15

Taken from the Shenmuedojo. Here's what we know so far about the villages so far -

Baisha:

Concept art and photos

Yu Suzuki said: Baisha will show off what Shenmue is all about. Live out a siege game reminiscent of the Warring kingdoms. See what strategist will come out on top.

May possibly feature an 'infiltration mission' into the Chi You Men's Guilin branch. The buildings shown in the concept art are called Tulous. They are between three and five stories high, can house up to 80 families and are easily defensible.

Choubu:

Concept art and photos

Yu Suzuki said: Choubu is a riverside village with lots of shops, souvenir stores, hotels and temples. The quests in this village should be very enjoyable, I think.

And: Amidst the mystical scenery of the Li River, Choubu lies in a water colour painting come to life. The port of call will be filled with souvenir shops and hotels, shrines and village dwellings. Expect to meet a sage master of Nanquan there.

This area may feature the 'Magic Maze' technique of generating building interiors. It could also feature a part time job of some sort.

Bailu:

Concept art and photos

Yu Suzuki said: Bailu is the village where Shenhua was raised and also a place that Ryo's father, Iwao, had visited when he was younger. Here as well the quests will play an important role as Ryo and Shenhua start their journey.

And: Shenmue 2 ends at Shenhua's house in the outskirts of Bailu village. Bailu village is waiting to be explored for real.

I can't wait...

RK128

good god, some people. say they want to know what yu meant by 10 million, then start saying "oh that's so unrealistic why did they put them up"

Not being a downer or anything :l. Just stating my thoughts; don't know if the game will reach 10 million+ at this point. But, there still is over 20 days of the Kickstarter, so for all I know, I might be eating crow when it gets 15 million when it ends XD.

Those features Yu now list in those stretch goals, he can use them to share concept art of what he wants to do with those new features he's planing, early gameplay videos of the concepts and more. That way people will feel pushed to add there funding or start there funding to make those modes happen :D.

Welk to be fair, 40-60,000 backers seem to be the average on a Kickstarter for video games. Look at how many backers Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee got. Usually, it is MUCH less if it's not a big title. I am expecting this KS to have about the same number of backers when it is over. Kickstarters need to be better advertised to the outside crowd.

I don't think the standard rules and metrics apply here. Shenmue isn't some unknown, low profile indie effort where 20-90K backers is expected. Shenmue is a franchise that has seen TWO major releases worldwide. And the existence of this Kickstarter isn't unknown to the majority of gamers across the globe. Sony put this front and center at their conference at E3. Almost every Shenmue fan on earth has to know about it by now. It made headlines on just about every blog and news site.

What's 300k+ backers in the context of Kickstarter?

I don't understand trying to form a 'I guess Shenmue isn't that popular, hur hur' argument by completely ignoring the context of Kickstarter's reach as a platform. With 3 weeks left to go before the campaign ends Shenmue III is already the 5th most funded Kickstarter game and 13th most funded project overall ever.

It also ignores the cognitive jump from people who are interested in Shenmue, to the people who are interested in Shenmue enough to put down money now with no guarantee that it will actually get made and if it does get made it's not targeted for release for another 2 and a half years.

Horohoro

The problem is/was the base goal if they set it at 5 million it would have hit it already.
If they set it at 10 million it probably would be much closer than it is now. Most ppl don't follow kickstarters on average except the people who backed them the information this one really needs 10 million to reach what people want is falling on deaf ears. It needs better marketing.

Theonik

Not that many people use Kickstarter. If you look at backer numbers and with some speculation you can still grow on where the Shenmue III campaign is, but ultimately you will never get so many people on KS from a game. Even the Oatmeal that has more fans than many games do combined cannot bring this number of people and they have the benefit of having an active way to drive their existing users into their campaign. That really won't tell you much about the real size of the Shenmue fanbase. Therefore, you are looking to get people to pledge more on average rather than pledge in large volumes while trying to get as many backers as you can at the same time.

Yu should stop listening to those people. Or rather $10m was a mistake it's nothing but trash. Regardless let's just focus on how awesome the new updates are!

Taken from the Shenmuedojo. Here's what we know so far about the villages so far -

Baisha:

Concept art and photos

Yu Suzuki said: Baisha will show off what Shenmue is all about. Live out a siege game reminiscent of the Warring kingdoms. See what strategist will come out on top.

May possibly feature an 'infiltration mission' into the Chi You Men's Guilin branch. The buildings shown in the concept art are called Tulous. They are between three and five stories high, can house up to 80 families and are easily defensible.

Choubu:

Concept art and photos

Yu Suzuki said: Choubu is a riverside village with lots of shops, souvenir stores, hotels and temples. The quests in this village should be very enjoyable, I think.

And: Amidst the mystical scenery of the Li River, Choubu lies in a water colour painting come to life. The port of call will be filled with souvenir shops and hotels, shrines and village dwellings. Expect to meet a sage master of Nanquan there.

This area may feature the 'Magic Maze' technique of generating building interiors. It could also feature a part time job of some sort.

Bailu:

Concept art and photos

Yu Suzuki said: Bailu is the village where Shenhua was raised and also a place that Ryo's father, Iwao, had visited when he was younger. Here as well the quests will play an important role as Ryo and Shenhua start their journey.

And: Shenmue 2 ends at Shenhua's house in the outskirts of Bailu village. Bailu village is waiting to be explored for real.

I can't wait...

So what... if the KS doesn't get to 8-10 million we don't get Choubu or Bailu village?

Elandyll

Banned
I have never played a Shenmue game and don't really know what it's about (or to be perfectly honest have that much interest in it atm), but after seeing the tears of joy from Huber on GT Live, and for the sake of all my Shenmue brothers and sisters, I decided to pledge $30 as well, and just did :)

I hope my drop in the bucket will help.

I don't think the standard rules and metrics apply here. Shenmue isn't some unknown, low profile indie effort where 20-90K backers is expected. Shenmue is a franchise that has seen TWO major releases worldwide. And the existence of this Kickstarter isn't unknown to the majority of gamers across the globe. Sony put this front and center at their conference at E3. Almost every Shenmue fan on earth has to know about it by now. It made headlines on just about every blog and news site.

Shenmue isn't much different in this than Mighty Number 9, Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained. While those games don't have the name of their respective franchises attached to them, I did not see anything about them that didn't mention Mega Man, Banjo Kazooie or Castlevania. How many backers did they receive? MN9 got 67,226, Yooka Laylee got 73,206, and Bloodstained got 64,867. With 3 weeks left, Shenmue has 45,865. I think it wouldn't be suprising to see this end up with a similar number of backers but a lot of people are going to be waiting until the end. A lot of people don't trust or do Kickstarters and it's asking a lot of people to expect them to give money to a project that won't see release for at least two years.

I have never played a Shenmue game and don't really know what it's about (or to be perfectly honest have that much interest in it atm), but after seeing the tears of joy from Huber on GT Live, and for the sake of all my Shenmue brothers and sisters, I decided to pledge $30 as well, and just did :)

I hope my drop in the bucket will help.

Thank you so much. You're doing Thor's work.

I don't think the standard rules and metrics apply here. Shenmue isn't some unknown, low profile indie effort where 20-90K backers is expected.

Unknown low profile indie efforts don't get 20-90k backers. Megaman, Castlevania, and Banjo-Kazooie get 20-90k backers. You really think Shenmue is drastically more popular than stuff like Mega Man & Castlevania?

Haunted

These new stretch goals seem completely arbitrary. Clearly something they cobbled together and copied from a high-level design sheet and not something planned out beforehand and adjusted to the business plan and budgeting.

There are some exciting ones in the 6 - 7.5 million range, so here's hoping at least those will entice some additional backing.

J2 Cool

Baisha:

Concept art and photos

Choubu:

Concept art and photos

Bailu:

Concept art and photos

I can't wait...

Looks amaazing. All the story history of the characters and genuine research. Stoked.

I think we can hit the majority of these if not all with an extended donation.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
These new stretch goals seem completely arbitrary. Clearly something they cobbled together and copied from a high-level design sheet and not something planned out beforehand and adjusted to the business plan and budgeting.

Clearly, you know something we don't. Only the Portuguese subs part looks out of place there, and it is due to the fact that they weren't originally planning it.

JDSN

Banned
They lost me with those strech goals, they are angling so hard for the 10M that I feel that the game we get if it doesnt happen will be very different, ill be waiting for reviews on this one.

Bashtee

They lost me with those strech goals, they are angling so hard for the 10M that I feel that the game we get if it doesnt happen will be very different, ill be waiting for reviews on this one.

I don't fully understand this logic, but okay :)

Waiting on reviews for a game that has only just started development, has three weks left on Kickstarter and isn't coming out for ~3 years? Hahaha. Seems way too early to make this statement, but okay.

Zedox

If Shenmue 3 is made in the same gameplay as the other 2, the reviews of it won't be great as the game isn't a "mainstream" type of game when we think of such. Think how Heavy Rain was rated. I'll say this, just get NullDC or some Dreamcast emulator and play the originals and see if you are intrigued...(and remember the original came out in '99) back it. Or watch a stream of someone playing it.

Unknown low profile indie efforts don't get 20-90k backers. Megaman, Castlevania, and Banjo-Kazooie get 20-90k backers. You really think Shenmue is drastically more popular than stuff like Mega Man & Castlevania?

Exactly. Apropos to your comment, I backed your Kickstarter for Cosmic Star Heroine which I can't wait for and it received only 6,414. Toejam and Earl which is a very well known and well loved franchise only got 8,873 backers. Between 5 and 10k is a good number of backers for an indie project. The numbers Shenmue is getting is fantastic and people need to stop acting like it not getting 100k backers with a $10M from Kickstarter is some kind of failure.

This thread is like band of brothers and then people who try to deny us lol. But in all seriousness we need more backers then us just putting more money.

celsowmbr

Banned
NWuBvrx.jpg

I need that !

Probably I will spend hours and hours only rotating the camera !

I think this Kickstarter is handled poorly.

All I see is "Here's a UE4 demo we threw together in a weekend. It's going to be Shenmue 3! Please give us money".
From a person who has never played the first two, the Kickstarter page gives me no reason why I should spend money on it.
Bloodstained did a much better job with their kickstarter pitch, imo.

Maybe the twitch stream will change my perception. We'll see.

Exactly. Apropos to your comment, I backed your Kickstarter for Cosmic Star Heroine which I can't wait for and it received only 6,414. Toejam and Earl which is a very well known and well loved franchise only got 8,873 backers. Between 5 and 10k is a good number of backers for an indie project. The numbers Shenmue is getting is fantastic and people need to stop acting like it not getting 100k backers with a $10M from Kickstarter is some kind of failure.

Right. Based on my knowledge of Kickstarter, it looks like it's going to slow make its way to $4 million by the time the home stretch begins, at which point, I would expect it to make another $0.5-$1 million in the last few days. This would make it the 2nd highest funded video game on Kickstarter OF ALL TIME. Best case scenario, it might make another $2 million towards the end which would make it the highest funded game. This is not a failure. The game might be a failure in the end, but by Kickstarter standards this is a huge success.

Shenmue 3 is the story continuation of a series where the earlier games are out of print & expensive on the secondhand market and the first game is only available on an unpopular older system. It's not like something like Bloodstained or Yooka-Laylee where you can appeal to fans of the genre in general - you're only getting fans of the actual series here. And once you reach the diehard fans, it's going to be very hard to gain new fans (hey, this series is great, just spend a couple hundred dollars buying 2 games and the hardware to play them on!). Everyone should have expected this to be a very frontloaded Kickstarter.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think this Kickstarter is handled poorly.

All I see is "Here's a UE4 demo we threw together in a weekend. It's going to be Shenmue 3! Please give us money".
From a person who has never played the first two, the Kickstarter page gives me no reason why I should spend money on it.
Bloodstained did a much better job with their kickstarter pitch, imo.

Maybe the twitch stream will change my perception. We'll see.

Pretty much. The Kickstarter is aimed at hardcore fans, not newcomers. Without any HD remakes, this might be a problem.

An issue that seems to be the case with the kickstarter is it seems like 10 million is the vision and anything less is a compromised vision, when it should be like 5 million is the vision and anything more is an enhanced vision.

J2 Cool

Pretty much. The Kickstarter is aimed at hardcore fans, not newcomers. Without any HD remakes, this might be a problem.

Seriously. If they just released Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on PSN. Then 3-6 mo pass and they put up the kickstarter, support would be trickling in. As it is, theres this huge barrier for newcomers. Its unfortunate.

Best case scenario, post-kickstarter you open up donations. The hardcore Shenmue fans are killing it this KS. Release HD versions on PSN with this success, and the buzz will continue and pick up some. Open up donations simultaneously. People can instantly go from "I enjoy this" to supporting the next game. Perfect system. The hardcore fans will support it monthly regardless and can maybe get the ideal Shenmue III, maybe reinvigorate the franchise.

This thread is like band of brothers and then people who try to deny us lol. But in all seriousness we need more backers then us just putting more money.

The mental gymnastics some people have gone through in this thread is baffling...... It's like people want this to fail which is crazy, I've never seen gaf go out of it's way this much to dismiss a KS outside of Silicon Knights. This is pretty much a summary of the thread.

"That 10k pledge is garbage!! What if I don't want the jacket!!"- gaffer A

"There's also dinner with Yu Suzuku"........-gaffer B

"Bloodstained had a better 10k pledge!!"- gaffer A

"That also had dinner with Koji in Japan........."- gaffer B

"Those stretch goals are garbage!! What do they even mean??"- gaffer A

"It's pretty clear on the kickstarter page, new quests, fight scenes and minigames I'm guessing" gaffer b

"Whatever!! They'll just get that money from Sony, Bloodstained did it better with more to show, this kickstarter is mismanaged" gaffer A

"Bloodstained only has concept art at this point........" gaffer B

Theonik

An issue that seems to be the case with the kickstarter is it seems like 10 million is the vision and anything less is a compromised vision, when it should be like 5 million is the vision and anything more is an enhanced vision.
If that's the case they should have set the goal at $5m or sold the later narrative. They also should not have revealed all those goals in advance. But what's done is done. Now we play another kind of game.

Right. Based on my knowledge of Kickstarter, it looks like it's going to slow make its way to $4 million by the time the home stretch begins, at which point, I would expect it to make another $0.5-$1 million in the last few days. This would make it the 2nd highest funded video game on Kickstarter OF ALL TIME. Best case scenario, it might make another $2 million towards the end which would make it the highest funded game. This is not a failure. The game might be a failure in the end, but by Kickstarter standards this is a huge success.

Shenmue 3 is the story continuation of a series where the earlier games are out of print & expensive on the secondhand market and the first game is only available on an unpopular older system. It's not like something like Bloodstained or Yooka-Laylee where you can appeal to fans of the genre in general - you're only getting fans of the actual series here. And once you reach the diehard fans, it's going to be very hard to gain new fans (hey, this series is great, just spend a couple hundred dollars buying 2 games and the hardware to play them on!). Everyone should have expected this to be a very frontloaded Kickstarter.

Kickstarter standards are low. The fact that the most funded game is Not-Castlevania is pretty much telling. Its Shenmue 3... even if its a niche IP, it's supposed to have a bigger funding than Bloodstained... which featured even less gameplay or informations than Shenmue 3. :/

The mental gymnastics some people have gone through in this thread is baffling...... It's like people want this to fail which is crazy, I've never seen gaf go out of it's way this much to dismiss a KS outside of Silicon Knights. This is pretty much a summary of the thread.

"That 10k pledge is garbage!! What if I don't want the jacket!!"- gaffer A

"There's also dinner with Yu Suzuku"........-gaffer B

"Bloodstained had a better 10k pledge!!"- gaffer A

"That also had dinner with Koji in Japan........."- gaffer B

"Those stretch goals are garbage!! What do they even mean??"- gaffer A

"It's pretty clear on the kickstarter page, new quests, fight scenes and minigames I'm guessing" gaffer b

"Whatever!! They'll just get that money from Sony, Bloodstained did it better with more to show, this kickstarter is mismanaged" gaffer A

"Bloodstained only has concept art at this point........" gaffer B

LOL this exactly. Why is this always compared to Bloodstained Im sure it will beat that there is still 3 weeks left and people are acting like its over tomorrow.

Coxy

Why arent SEGA doing anything to promote it? Neither their english nor their japanese facebook/twitter accounts have made a single mention of it

I understand they might not have much at all to do with it but they could give a shout out to their old series & creator surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom