• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pledged $500 and am a huge supporter, the negativity is mind blowing, but I do agree the team handling the kickstarter is passable at best. The dude in the video is what makes games embarrassing and as a guy almost 40 this type of stuff has become intolerable to me, which means I just shut it off midway through. I cant fathom any new fan wanting to back this after that, but looks like it did get a bump. The translations Shenmue dojo did are great, it is sad this keeps having dark clouds around it like this.

I support the game staunchly and I have voted with my money (I will kick in up to 1k) but Yu Suzuki is such a legend and helped shape my childhood, the man deserves better than this shit show and so do the Shenmue fans. I am a bit shocked the third game is not going to complete the story, but I am fine with it too. Time for fans to put up or shut up.

Well said.

Theonik

A shenmue launch party in LA with a $100 to $5,000 invite tier system would generate another 250k easily and also engage the fans, make them feel like they are all at a big party together, which would set the stage for Shenmue 4 and this being "our" game. This also assumes that the game is mostly being driven by western demand as it sold much better here. They are missing a lot of easy and good marketing opportunities due to these fucking amateurs which is upsetting for those of us who want the best Shenmue 3 and also part 4. Shameful.
There is the dinnerparty with Yu. Should have had more seats. But a larger event is a dumb idea to promise. A lot of money can be raised but the margins on that money are poor. They are targeting each reward to be 65-72% profit. A large event would eat up more than it can pull in.

Looking at the stretch goals, I think $7 million is where I'd be satisfied.

Nothing past what we get at $7 million is that interesting to me... I can lose a few mini-games and side-jobs as long as we have all the villages fleshed out and a robust fighting system (by $7 million we have ragdoll reactions and enhanced fighting AI).
I'll be pretty happy if we got to $7.5m. But the real dream is $11m. I NEED that magic maze.

Spaghetti

the FREE battle enhancements are pretty crucial. the FREE battle system was the jewel in shenmue's mechanical crown, making improvements to that would be so damn good.

Erevador

My friend asked me to post his version here as his account is not activated yet:

itrOEN0.jpg

This was made in photoshop, maybe Yu and his team can consider the changes. My friend posted the picture in the comment section of the kickstart project, too.
That looks like baby boy Ryo to me! Nice!

Was out all day so didn't get a chance to comment this morning and I've yet to catch up on the stream, so forgive me if this is well-worn territory.

So I'm happy that the new tier's brought a burst of activity but as soon as I saw that they were limited I tempered my expectations as to how much of a lasting boost it will be. I was hoping that the reward item question in the survey a few days ago would mean they'd get announced on this stream but maybe they need more time to get that stuff in place.

Thinking about the new tiers, since they were limited I kinda think they undervalued them a little. The $1000 and $2000 tiers could have easily gone up by $500 each and I think they would have gone just as quickly.

The next week is going to be telling as to how on the ball Awesome Japan and Ys Net are.

MilkBeard

The tweaked Ryo looks even stranger in my opinion. They should just wait until they start doing it with a legit graphic designer. In all seriousness, they should just import one of the older high-poly models in and make some minor adjustments. I think that would look better than the temp character that they've created.

Either way, it's not a big deal and I know they will make it better once development starts.

The tweaked Ryo looks even stranger in my opinion. They should just wait until they start doing it with a legit graphic designer. In all seriousness, they should just import one of the older high-poly models in and make some minor adjustments. I think that would look better than the temp character that they've created.

Either way, it's not a big deal and I know they will make it better once development starts.

I agree. If they can get remake head from the Shenmue Passport model viewer and follow suit with a high quality jacket and jeans (and other clothing) like someone on ShenmueDojo was designing, it would work really well.

236530-04_shenmue.jpg

The video in my post above this has more angles (dur).

MilkBeard

Even though I played first hearing Cory Marshall as Ryo, I think that after playing Shenmue II Pal version with Japanese dub, I really like Masaya Matsukaze's voice. I sincerely hope they get him again for Shenmue III, and that we will be able to have the choice of Japanese or English. (Personally I wouldn't mind if it was just a Japanese dub only)

J2 Cool

http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...s-angers-idiots--best-video-game-podcast-ep-5

Damn. This is terrific. I wish these two were running the kickstarter. Super sensible. Shenmue has some of those fans. I wish the KS team was smart.

All about context with these stretch goals. Need to know what truly open world is to Yu, where 1 and w land on his "open world" scale. Can only imagine what a good KS team could do with this gem of a project to fund. Any action they take turns into making good money. Them in combination w the odd video of shenmue 3 and its off model characters does a lot to color this. Wish we could take action.

The above Ryo photoshop looks really good. Just too much shadowing and form in the jaw. Should be more cohesively rounded like the DC version. Big dark eyes, determined brows, black hair. All good fixes.

master15

I was really interested to hear a little more about the "Seige" gameplay possibilities and this game may be the first time we play a different characters outside Ryo.

AJ really needs to smarten up their act though.

In terms of character model, Suzuki should stop showing up designs until he is happy with it. Frankly it needs to look like the original CG artwork and Passport models:

Picture-1.png

ryoleavingdojo.jpg

The Kickstarter just released another image of new Ryo.

78b6fed7005b9f69a766d79159899e05.jpg

I guess new Ryo still likes cats.
;)

Photoshop corrected Ryo looks a thousand times better.

I noticed this but I don't think he is a problem. Yes, he exaggerated and he was too relaxed, and they could have used someone more professional... however, he is not an issue. Remember, he was the one that presented the questions and showed the items, that is all.

If anything that is a problem it should be the translation... The translations were too simple and Shenmue Dojo's translations of what Yu Suzuki said proves it. It was a good stream, it could have been much better but professionalism was not the agenda here, it was answers.
Honestly once I started to ignore the dude on the right I couldn't get over just how bad and awkward the translator was. It was the worst part for me because it was like watching someone be forced to make a speech.

jcjimher

I can't help being positive and optimistic despite all those (real) problems we seem to be focusing lately.

I still can barely believe that we are getting a Shenmue III in any form. We reached the KS target in 8 hours, and I'm sure it will finish as one of the top earning games ever. I don't care that much if it finished under or over Bloodstained. Or even if it doesn't reach its full potential or is hindered by a bad KS campaign. After it ends, there will still be plenty of time and alternatives to get more money as development goes: the PayPal donations, Sony, even Sega or others.

And in the meanwhile, I'm super excited hearing a new original tune after 14 years, or knowing Ren will be back into the game and we will probably be able to play as him in some form. Or knowing the locations that come next and their general features. Or rewatching the ending of Shenmue II on Youtube and feeling no sadness but excitement.

I'm sure a lot of the general concern comes from the love of the games, but I'm also sure that celebrating, commenting and spreading the hype and the excitement is a more effective approach to the success of the KS. And much more satisfying too :)

Spaghetti

it's going to be pretty awesome when we get the update related to the game features. should probably warrant a new thread when that happens, something to entice people sat on the fence or newcomers who are interested in backing.

I can't help being positive and optimistic despite all those (real) problems we seem to be focusing lately.

I still can barely believe that we are getting a Shenmue III in any form. We reached the KS target in 8 hours, and I'm sure it will finish as one of the top earning games ever. I don't care that much if it finished under or over Bloodstained. Or even if it doesn't reach its full potential or is hindered by a bad KS campaign. After it ends, there will still be plenty of time and alternatives to get more money as development goes: the PayPal donations, Sony, even Sega or others.

And in the meanwhile, I'm super excited hearing a new original tune after 14 years, or knowing Ren will be back into the game and we will probably be able to play as him in some form. Or knowing the locations that come next and their general features. Or rewatching the ending of Shenmue II on Youtube and feeling no sadness but excitement.

I'm sure a lot of the general concern comes from the love of the games, but I'm also sure that celebrating, commenting and spreading the hype and the excitement is a more effective approach to the success of the KS. And much more satisfying too :)
In any case, this KS has gone from something that seemed like a sure thing to something worth being concerned about.

I hope Yu keeps a close eye on all that money once the campaign ends...those "Awesome Japan" quacks seem about as professional as a call-girl on Craigslist and can't be trusted.

i think it was the grabbag that went. only one of two though, and i think it'll get filled back in pretty soon. i'd take it if i could. that first4figures ryo statue is pretty great, and i really regret not getting one years ago.

It was the watch when it first dropped. I wonder if the grabbagger changed reward?

Spaghetti

It was the watch when it first dropped. I wonder if the grabbagger changed reward?
i wouldn't blame them if they did. shame it doesn't come with the $3000 tier too. a nice watch and a nice jacket. good combo

anybody else think this is exploitative? the money going to the retailer could be going to the kickstarter. sincerely hope nobody falls for this.

duder

Neo Member
There is the dinnerparty with Yu. Should have had more seats. But a larger event is a dumb idea to promise. A lot of money can be raised but the margins on that money are poor. They are targeting each reward to be 65-72% profit. A large event would eat up more than it can pull in.

I agree, it would be an icing on the cake/fan service gig. Hell, volunteers would put it all together for free. I know this is wishful thinking, but just saying they could use some good will coming out now. Your line of thought is absolutely reasonable on the percentages and it makes sense.

I'll be pretty happy if we got to $7.5m. But the real dream is $11m. I NEED that magic maze.

I am right there with you! Those are my numbers too.

I'm still considering giving more (I gave 29 so far). I'll see what happens. If I do give more probably 60-80 will be the highest see if they give any rewards for lower tiers.

anybody else think this is exploitative? the money going to the retailer could be going to the kickstarter. sincerely hope nobody falls for this.

That's pretty fucked. The release even says after December 2016. It's going to be at least a year after that. Makes zero sense to me.

master15

i'd rather they show what they have, but I know most people are ignorant of what work in progress games look like.

I would rather he show art-work, designs and maybe even some protostypes of things that didn't make it in Shenmue 1/2.

I think they need to ensure what they show is up to the standards of the first two games which had amazing attention to detail.

Look at the early Saturn/Dreamcast footage of Shenmue 1 & 2 to see how close that vision matched the final product.

Spaghetti

i wonder if they can just like, fly ryan payton in for a little while to moderate a proper series Q&A with yu suzuki. i'd love to see that.

Theonik

I'm still considering giving more (I gave 29 so far). I'll see what happens. If I do give more probably 60-80 will be the highest see if they give any rewards for lower tiers.
You can wait for the final push if you like. It's usually more fun to up your pledge then, looking at all the extra cool stuff we'll be getting by that point. (new tiers, new announcements, stretchgoals being hit.)

i wouldn't blame them if they did. shame it doesn't come with the $3000 tier too. a nice watch and a nice jacket. good combo

There hasn't even been a confirmed PS4 physical release. But I don't think people need to pay in advance on Fnac. Maybe if people see that in the new releases they google it and find the Kickstarter.

danwarb

Why is PS4 physical a big deal? Just get PC physical and PS4 download. PC boxes look better anyway.

I like the old model and the new model!

The new model has a narrower jawline, that's why it looks like a different person. Also there's something up with the eyes/brow.

Spaghetti

It's as if the donations have been completely halted.

They should have put better milestones.
there's been a bit of back and forth because of some people pulling out of the $5000 tier stuff then somebody else picking it back up, it hasn't exactly been halted. the burst last night was good though, we need more tiers to fuel that.

as for the stretch goals, this 500k from 3.5 to 4 million has been rough. it'd probably be better if there was a stretch goal somewhere in that 500k, but we're almost through it now anyway. from 4 million it should be okay, there's a stretch goal almost every 200k.

5 million to 6 million might be rough though, but who knows. those free battle improvements are waiting for us. that might be incentive enough if explained properly in the updates.

danwarb

I was really interested to hear a little more about the "Seige" gameplay possibilities and this game may be the first time we play a different characters outside Ryo.

For me, other playable characters is never good in story focused games like this, especially if you're jumping between characters mid-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom