• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fell asleep last night playing shenmue 2 on the dreamcast. Game looks great in widescreen which I found very odd since I'm only hooked up to composite.

So in the game as I was leaving my apartment to go to work the landlord asks me for money, I told him I'd get him later. So I continue on to work and make 60$, I decide to walk back to pay my debts but find a virtua fighters toy machine and spend 20$. Walk a bit further and find some dude running plinko boards and end up blowing the other 40$. Now I'm broke, fucking shenmue man. Such a great same, and I love the Japanese voices way better than the English ones.

Tansut

I'm sure there will be at least one person asking it, but I really hope there's a question asking about a rerelease for 1 & 2. I'd love a chance to actually play them.

Can Japan GAF summarize some of the highlights?

I believe a portion of it was summarised from here yesterday: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/1...qte-system-for-shenmue-3/#medO1PbFfdT58eYy.99

“I’ve been trying to find a way to make a sequel happen for a very long time. There really isn’t much more to it,” says Suzuki.

Next, they ask about their target amount of funds from Kickstarter (which, by the way, is currently over $2.9 million as of this article).

“200 million yen (around $2 million) for starters,” responds Suzuki. “That said, 200 million yen is the minimum required amount in order to make the game. If we happen to collect more funds, then we’ll add more things that we’ve been wanting to add to it.”

Famitsu then ask what kind of open world one can expect to see in Shenmue III.

“Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead,” says Suzuki. “If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, we’d be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them."

He continues, “For example, we could set a parameter for Ling Shen Hua, then we could have it change her attitude depending on the conversations, or the way one proceeds through quests. Of course, that doesn’t mean that it won’t be an open world game. A stretch goal on Kickstarter will determine the expansion of the city.”

Finally, Yu Suzuki shared more on ideas he has for Shenmure III’s QTE (Quick Time Event) system.

“I’d like to present a new QTE. Something elaborate, yet easily playable by just about anyone,” says Suzuki. “Instead of simply winning by pressing buttons in a timely manner, I’d like to make something that will have people win fights by making correct judgements.”

There's probably more detail in the actual released article though.

GavinGT

Banned
Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
-

Feel free to add your own. I want to make sure all the right questions get asked and not just the same old stuff.

The Reddit AMA is a fantastic idea and exactly what they should be doing to reignite and maintain the excitement. Hoping some of our more pressing questions are answered by the man himself tomorrow. I'll be watching the thread for that tomorrow like a hawk. A PS4 physical edition is a must. Perhaps one will be announced soon now that they're seeing the overwhelming demand for one? And to those asking about Shenmue I & 2 HD Sega almost released those years back when hype for Shenmue was close to zero.

I can absolutely see Sega green lighting HD re-releases prior to Shenmue 3's release now that there's a storm of energy and excitement surrounding the series again.

I highly doubt he'll finish the story with III, and I'm glad. I don't want a rushed ending. I want the original vision damn it!

This. As crazy as it may sound, I'd rather Yu adhere to his planned structure of the saga rather than rush through the whole story in 3. If the latter happened, it would probably have a real negative impact on the overall product. I know this is a second lease of life for the franchise and everything, and that it's kinda pushing it to expect another entry after 3, but this needs to be done properly. It needs to be right. So I'd rather take the risk, and if that means waiting another 14 years for Shenmue 4, then so be it.

Not sure about this one... but someone in this thread made a list of possible stretch goals. Will it be possible to suggest these stretch goals via the AMA?

Updated List of Questions for Friday's Yu Suzuki AMA

- Why no physical PS4 disc?
- What's the deal with the other two towns mentioned in the Kickstarter video?
- Can we have some more higher tier Kickstarter rewards, please?
- What do you forecast the final budget to be?
- Will the game have English and Japanese VO?
- Will Corey Marshall reprise his role?
- Will you finish the story with Shemue III?
- Do you have access to Sega-branded arcade games and capsule toys?
- Can you go into more detail about what the stretch goals actually mean?
- Will you update the controls?
- Will we see a return of some Shenmue I systems, such as lots of interactivity with objects?
- Will the free battle system still exist in the game?
- How will you update QTEs?
- How many developers do you plan to have working on the game?
- Is an Xbox One version out of the question?
- Do you have any specific cost-cutting measures in mind?
- Will the final game be at full price?
-

Feel free to add your own. I want to make sure all the right questions get asked and not just the same old stuff.
Ask if Shenmue 1 and 2 HD ports are in the cards.

Not sure about this one... but someone in this thread made a list of possible stretch goals. Will it be possible to suggest these stretch goals via the AMA?

Are you talking about the ones I made?

$60 - Physical PS4
$100 - Limited Edition Physical PS4 w/ Backer Exclusive Case
$800 - Exclusive Nozomi, Ren, Joy and Lan Di capsule toys + kitten in box plushie
$1000 - High Quality Ryo Hazuki Jacket Replica
$1500 - High Quality Phoenix Mirror Replica w/ name engraving / backer number on back
$2000 - Help design a custom in-game jacket / item of clothing Ryo can wear
$2500 - Help design & create a unique capsule toy that can be won in-game
$3000 - As above only we will send you a fully 3D model replica of your capsule toy
$4000 - Help design & name an in-game NPC in collaboration with Ys Net
$5000 - Voice an in-game NPC that will be fully integrated in the world who Ryo can talk to

Might be worth asking but not sure how in charge of the tiers he is. Might just email these to via the kickstarter contact page for fun, hahaha.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Comments like these make me want to withdraw my own pledge. People do with their money what they want, not what YOU want. And calling people "dumb" or "cynical losers" because they decided that they have higher priorities than a video game after all is just horrible.

I wasn't pressuring anyone, I'm sorry you felt that way, but I was just expressing my sadness to see the ticker down. If you felt that way and want to withdraw your own pledge, that is your own problem, and I would care only because the devs would have less money. Do what you will. And please don't put words in my mouth.

I would ask:

-With so many technology improvements since Shenmue II, what aspects of development do you anticipate will be easier? Conversely, what new hurdles do you face?

-With so many visual improvements, how important is improving the look of the game, or do you prefer keeping it similar to the first games to ease the transition?

-Would you describe the scale of this game as closer to Shenmue I or II?

-How have your sensibilities as a game designer changed since Shenmue II and will they be reflected in the new installment?

Gono

Banned
I'd love to know if it would be possible to play the game with the original japanese voices but with english subtitles. That option wasn't possible on the first game.

Are you talking about the ones I made?

$60 - Physical PS4
$100 - Limited Edition Physical PS4 w/ Backer Exclusive Case
$800 - Exclusive Nozomi, Ren, Joy and Lan Di capsule toys + kitten in box plushie
$1000 - High Quality Ryo Hazuki Jacket Replica
$1500 - High Quality Phoenix Mirror Replica w/ name engraving / backer number on back
$2000 - Help design a custom in-game jacket / item of clothing Ryo can wear
$2500 - Help design & create a unique capsule toy that can be won in-game
$3000 - As above only we will send you a fully 3D model replica of your capsule toy
$4000 - Help design & name an in-game NPC in collaboration with Ys Net
$5000 - Voice an in-game NPC that will be fully integrated in the world who Ryo can talk to

Might be worth asking but not sure how in charge of the tiers he is. Might just email these to via the kickstarter contact page for fun, hahaha.

Yes!

Some may consider this sacrilege, but I've always considered Yu Suzuki the 'Akira Kurosawa' of the game industry. Their respective abilities to craft experiences that redefined their industries, combined with their abilities to push the boundaries of their art forms to levels never seen before always seemed unique to me. Plus, the parallels between the later part of Kurosawa's life and his inability to secure funding (until George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola stepped in) always seemed to parallel Yu Suzuki's struggles with Shenmue III to me.

I always was afraid that like Kurosawa, he would not be truly appreciated in his lifetime, and that it wouldn't be until his passing that people began to realize the profound effect he had on the industry. Thankfully, the day has come where Shenmue III can be completed. Hopefully, this will begin a career revival that will allow fans to continue to enjoy Yu's work for years to come.

One thing that amazes me about Yu Suzuki is the broad range of amazing and influential games he was worked on. Here's a guy who worked on legendary arcade style games including highly technical and complex racing and fighting games. One would not expect someone like that to also be able to make an amazing cinematic story focused RPG style game (pretty much the complete opposite type of game), but he did just that. Not only that, he innovated yet again and the game pioneered many of the things that are now commonplace in open world games today (even the concept of an open world game itself was not really a thing when this game came out).

Who else could pull this off? Pretty mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom