• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Questions & Answers from #YouaskYu (Twitter)

Q: Can you please explain why there are two different statements about how many chapters (11 / 16) Shenmue has?

YS: It is 11 chapters, but with branched story line, it will be more than 11.

Q: I have a #YouaskYu question. Suzuki-sama, at $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2? Arigatou!

YS: I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

Q: Now that we know Shenmue 3 will not end the Story, do you have a backup plan if it won´t succeed to tell the end?

YS: Gonna have to find a successor I think.

Q: Hello Yu-San will Shenmue have online functionality for example Online arcade Highscores or Online 70 man fighting battles?

YS: It will be a lot of fun, but depends on budget, so still under consideration.

Q: Will you be disappointed if the kickstarter doesn't raise $10mill for that 'open world experience'?

YS: No I won't. I am greatful I have another chance for a new Shenmue. I will do everything I can within the budget.

Q: 'm away on friday so if I could ask my question now please Yu-San. Will the Tiger scroll translated by Guizang in 1 be in 3?

YS: Great idea! I will look into it.

Q: Hi Yu is there any chance we can carry on Pledging after the Kickstarter date has closed?

YS: Thanks for the question, we will look into it.

Q: Ryo Hazuki's model and others, are you going to reuse models and generally assets from Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2?

YS: I don't plan on recycling them, but will use the good parts as an reference.

Q: Would love to hear Mandarin voice acting alongside Japanese in #Shenmue3, could we make it stretch goal?

YS: Thank you, it is under consideration.

Q: Why do you think Shenmue didn't appeal to the mass audience back then? Would it need to be 'modernized' for today?

YS: One reason may be there were so many new challenges. New challenges this time too. It's the most important thing.

Q: Can we expect the return of lottery prize in Shenmue 3? May be the first prize can be a figure of Yu Suzuki! I Love Caramel ;)

YS: Great idea. Thanks. I will need to think about something more appealing than a figure of me.

Q: Will u research latest tech in AI so u can include it in shenmue 3 to make it a pioneering game like its predecessors?

YS: Yes. I would like to take on some new challenge in terms of technology.

Q: Is there a possibility to film a production process for example motion capture or dubbing, during development of Shenmue 3?

YS: Yes, we have it and I would like to feature it in an update.

Q :Will Coca Cola join the Party ?

YS: I'm considering collaborations with companies like Coca Cola

Q: Do you have any idea if Sega's planning on doing a Virtua Fighter 6?

YS: I have not heard about it from SEGA.

Q: What can you tell me of the three blades?

YS: Jobs using scissors, razor and knife- barber, cook, and sewer. Skills for jobs with steady demand in any era.

Q: Although a little hint is left in the video Tak Hirai, Ryo he will now be able to jump into Shenemue 3?

YS: Yes. I am researching the new technology to have more natural motions in Shenmue 3.

Q: My ten year old daughter wants to know if she'll be able to use the phone at will in Shenmue 3 like she does in Shenmue?

YS: Look forward to it. There will be many nostalgic scenes. Maybe a tin can telephone as well?

Q: If future installments of Shenmue become a possibility will we have the option to bring over save data from 3?

YS: I have not decided it yet.

Q: Can we expect epic fights like in Kowloon in Shenmue 2 and a similar battle fight system?

YS: There is "Battle System Expanded" Stretch Goal. It will enhance the battles, better than Shenmue 2.

Q: Will we start Shenmue 3 with some items/skills/scrolls from Shenmue 1+2?

YS: The platform is different, so unfortunately we can't do it.

Q: Should we expect any Sega related stuff in Shenmue 3 like arcade games or toy capsules?

YS: There is a possibility.

Q: Were there any gameplay elements for Shenmue 1 and 2 that had to be cut due to budget constraints?

YS: Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to get soggy and yucky, but couldn't. I wanted to get that real.

Q: Will the "Shenmue Trial" be used for feedback to improve the game like Square Enix have with the FF15 demo?

YS: I would definitely want to get feedback, so I'm looking into how to put a system like that in place.

Q: Will there be official kickstarter/Shenmue 3 forums to discuss and give feedback throughout the development process?

YS: I of course would like that and am looking into it.

Q: Will everything be voice acted the same way as 1 and 2? or will budget constraints not allow 100% VO all the time?

YS: Full voice will be possible if we have enough funding.

Q: What's the I.Q. score of Fukuhara-san?

YS: Maybe something like 86?

Q: I was wondering did you get Ryo Hazuki name from Ryudo Uzaki that was a Japanese musician?

YS: Nope.

Q: My question is why is not possible to use (Shenmue Passport) models for the Shenmue 3?

YS: I'm considering about adding some functions from Shenmue Passport.

Q: Also can we expect custom clothing for Ryo Hazuki it would be great feature to able to style Ryo Hazuki as we want Shenmue3?

YS: There's a feature on the $250 tier and up to change Ryo's jacket. Other customizing under consideration

Q: Why the Dragon Mirror was hidden under a cherry tree, a not so safe place like the basement?

YS: Iwao thought the place under Cherry blossom tree was safer.

Q: Why Iwao Hazuki loves the carrots so much?

YS: Yes! Iwao's most favorite food is carrots! *jokingly*

Q: Where did Ryo got his band aid?

YS: It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

YS: My favorite 3 are: The Hustler, Casablanca, Roman Holiday. I love Billiards, and I still play it sometimes.

Q: Will Shenmue 3 be compatible with the project Morpheus VR headset for the ultimate second life experience?

YS: I feel that VR offers great possibilities.

Q: Will in Shenmue 3 be a dog to pet call look and feed?

YS: Depends on the budget.

Q: Shenmue's core plot is basically Hamlet - are you a Shakespeare fan & has that been an influence?

YS: Sorry, but I have not read Hamlet. I know Hamtaro.

Q: Always wondered how ryo , being Japanese, could communicate so easy in China. Can ryo speak Chinese?

YS: Let's not go there...

Q: Will there be any more dinners offered for the $10,000 tier? I hope more can be added! If not that's ok. Thank you Suzuki-san! (Peter from Shenmue Dojo)

YS: We just added them today!

Q: How was your day?

YS: It is Shenmue Day, so on Twitter with everyone. So many participating, I couldn't be happier. Rewards sold out! Thanks all!!!

Q: What did YU name the kitten?

YS: I think I named her with dog names, like Pochi or Gontaro.

Q: Will we see a shenmue soda (can be just a can) and what would it taste like?

YS: If there is any interested beverage firm out there, please contact YS.net.

Q: Suzuki-san, can you please tell us some little info about Shenhua that the fans don't already know yet?

YS: The Shenmue tree's flower is named Shenhua. She is named after that flower.

Q: Will Ryo learn the value of forgiveness in Shenmue 3?

YS: Please play Shenmue 3 for that answer!

Q: Hello Suzuki-san, do you have a rough idea how many people will be in the development team for Shenmue 3?

YS: It will vary depending on the KS budget.

Q: Since relationships between characters will be more prominent, will we see something like a multiple choice conversation system?

YS: I am thinking about a dialogue selection system.

Q: Please confirm that guns will never be a part of Shenmue gameplay, not for Ryo or any other playable character?

YS: I am not thinking about including guns as a weapon at the moment.

Q: Will Ryo finally eat and do other bodily functions?

YS: I don't have plan on implementing it for S3.

Q: Why does Ryo have a Saturn under his tv in Shenmue 1 but no games? Was Iwao using the promise of a game for it to focus Ryo?

YS: That sounds about right. Let's go with that.

Q: Mr. Suzuki, what is your favorite music to listen to?

YS: I like Jazz and Rock.

YS: Thank you so much everyone! More happy announcements to come. Hope I can count on your continued support!

master15

For those that missed the Q&A with Suzuki tonight, here's a recap (Thanks to Spaghetti) with some of the more interesting answers:

Q: Can you please explain why there are two different statements about how many chapters (11 / 16) Shenmue has?

A: It is 11 chapters, but with branched story line, it will be more than 11

Q: Hi Yu is there any chance we can carry on Pledging after the Kickstarter date has closed?

A: Thanks for the question, we will look into it.

Q: I have a #YouaskYu question. Suzuki-sama, at $5 million, exactly HOW open world will Shenmue 3 be, compared to Shenmue 1/2? Arigatou!

A: I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

Q: Will you be disappointed if the kickstarter doesn't raise $10mill for that 'open world experience'?

A: No I won't. I am grateful I have another chance for a new Shenmue. I will do everything I can within the budget

Q: Will @CocaColaCo join the Party?

A: I'm considering collaborations with companies like Coca Cola

Q: although a little hint is left in the video Tak Hirai, Ryo he will now be able to jump into Shenemue 3?

A: Yes. I am researching the new technology to have more natural motions in Shenmue 3

Q: Can we expect epic fights like in Kowloon in Shenmue 2 and a similar battle fight system?

A: here is "Battle System Expanded" Stretch Goal. It will enhance the battles, better than Shenmue 2

A: The platform is different, so unfortunately we can't do it.

Q: Should we expect any Sega related stuff in Shenmue 3 like arcade games or toy capsules?

A: There is a possibility.

Q: Will the "Shenmue Trial" be used for feedback to improve the game like Square Enix have with the FF15 demo?

A: I would definitely want to get feedback, so I'm looking into how to put a system like that in place

Q: Were there any gameplay elements for Shenmue 1 and 2 that had to be cut due to budget constraints?

A: Yes. I wanted the ramen noodles to get soggy and yucky, but couldn't. I wanted to get that real.

Q: Will everything be voice acted the same way as 1 and 2? or will budget constraints not allow 100% VO all the time?

A: Full voice will be possible if we have enough funding.

Q: Where did Ryo got his band aid?

A: It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match

Q: Suzuki-san, can you please tell us some little info about Shenhua that the fans don't already know yet?

A:The Shenmue tree's flower is named Shenhua. She is named after that flower

Q: Since relationships between characters will be more prominent, will we see something like a multiple choice conversation system?

A: I am thinking about a dialogue selection system

Final message:

Thank you so much everyone! More happy announcements to come. Hope I can count on your continued support!

benzy

Eagle eyed Shenmuedojo member noticed the $11 million "Magic Maze" stretch goal has been replaced with another "Kung Fu Mastery":

24DeAsJ.jpg

They fixed it, Magic Maze is back at $11 million.

benzy

ShenmueDojo said:

YS: There is "Battle System Expanded" Stretch Goal. It will enhance the battles, better than Shenmue 2.

$7.5 million, let's gooooooooo.

I bumped my day one $60 pledge to $100. Having my name in the credits and being able to participate in the beta are neat. The credits are going to be long!

p143598854843772b.jpg

I'm so happy for the PS4 physical copy announcement. The timing couldn't have been better coinciding with the $30 on the 3rd campaign. What an incredible bump in funding. 5 million is well within reach. I would like to see at least 7 million. 10 would be incredible but Shenmue fans'pockets only go so deep. $100 is the best I can do right now. :(

GavinGT

Banned

YS: I'm expecting something similar to Dobuita in terms of scale.

How do you guys interpret this? Because the game is supposed to be three towns separated by forest. Is he saying that the three towns combined add up to Dobuita? Because I'd be fine with that.

Erevador

How do you guys interpret this? Because the game is supposed to be three towns separated by forest. Is he saying that the three towns combined add up to Dobuita? Because I'd be fine with that.
I'm thinking he probably means the total game world of Shenmue I. So additional towns may be like Harbor or Sakuragaoka. Less detailed and large, but nice extensions of the main world, which is Dobuita-esque in size.

Beepos

Shame it won't hit 10 mill but not surprising. I look forward to the game even though I can only remember about 15% of the second game. I remember it was an epic journey all the way to the end though.

Cubed

I'm feeling pretty good about the budget right now.

I assume we'll get between 6.5 and 7 million on KS, and then they will hopefully open up a PayPal donation and I think another 2-3 million could be donated over the course of production. Basically, I don't see any reason not to expect at least all of the things promised through the $8 million tier on kickstarter right now to make it into the final game.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm feeling pretty good about the budget right now.

I assume we'll get between 6.5 and 7 million on KS, and then they will hopefully open up a PayPal donation and I think another 2-3 million could be donated over the course of production. Basically, I don't see any reason not to expect at least all of the things promised through the $8 million tier on kickstarter right now to make it into the final game.

Hopefully the development schedule is drawn up in such a way that permits additional Paypal funds to really make a meaningful impact. For instance, they could leave a lot of the minigame/job stuff for the final 6 months of development, and then additional funds could determine how much work they put into them.

Hopefully the development schedule is drawn up in such a way that permits additional Paypal funds to really make a meaningful impact. For instance, they could leave a lot of the minigame/job stuff for the final 6 months of development, and then additional funds could determine how much work they put into them.

This. SO SO SOOOOO MUCH THIS!

Something that's also not taken into account for the budget, at least here on GAF is the engine. Unreal Engine 4 is practically at the forefront of a renaissance in Japanese development. There's a reason why so many big Japanese pubs and devs have switched to UE4 now. Super simple compared to proprietary engines, asset creation is a sinch, they'll get things up and running in no time and it won't be as expensive.

I'm not really that worried about the budget at all. UE4 is the perfect choice.

Erevador

Something that's also not taken into account for the budget, at least here on GAF is the engine. Unreal Engine 4 is practically at the forefront of a renaissance in Japanese development. There's a reason why so many big Japanese pubs and devs have switched to UE4 now. Super simple compared to proprietary engines, asset creation is a sinch, they'll get things up and running in no time and it won't be as expensive.

I think once Suzuki and his guys really gets their hands on the ease of UE4 they might realize they can actually do MORE than predicted with the budget allotted. Things were much harder and more expensive back in the Dreamcast days.

zeshakag

I think once Suzuki and his guys really gets their hands on the ease of UE4 they might realize they can actually do MORE than predicted with the budget allotted. Things were much harder and more expensive back in the Dreamcast days.

Yeah, the output per man hour of UE4 has to be miles ahead of whatever they were using. The stuff that a single person can output (as seen on Youtube) from UE4 makes me at ease with the budget.

Moofers

Exactly. So much had to be created from scratch and you needed dev kits for everyone as well as hyper-specialized staff that could get the most out of the very specific architecture of the platform. Now the talent pool is much larger, the tools are widely used, the support for the engine is fantastic, and there are no corporate salaries to pay for.

Things are looking so much better this time :)

theJohann

The last I checked on this project, they held a very unprofessional video session and some members here were worried about their choice of marketing team. Are those concerns still valid, or have things improved since then?

zeshakag

The last I checked on this project, they held a very unprofessional video session and some members here were worried about their choice of marketing team. Are those concerns still valid, or have things improved since then?

They kind of got their shit together, announced better tiers, got the PS4 physical tier and AJ apologized, so people are a little more optimistic, especially after today's funding.

Erevador

Awesome Japan handled some of that PR stuff badly. Fans complained to Cedric Biscay of Shibuya productions, and he whipped the Kickstarter into much better shape.

Last day or so has been on fire.

Kickstarter marketing aside though, the team assembled to actually MAKE the game is a stellar bunch of real pros who worked on Shenmue I and II.

GavinGT

Banned

They actually apologized for the Twitch stream, which I found pretty funny. It was just the one guy geeking out a little too hard.

Hubble

Personally, I think criticism was wayyyyy too exaggerated. The most important thing is the questions asked, and they asked Yu great ones in the Twitch Q&A. Sure, the guy in the red shirt had some awkward gestures but I think they were out of good intentions in trying to be funny or adding emotion.

Nibel

They actually apologized for the Twitch stream, which I found pretty funny. It was just the one guy geeking out a little too hard.

Kinda feel bad for him now

But yeah, that Kickstarter is way more informative and transparent than before I feel. They really deserve some credit for doing a 180.

Pachael

I know folks rail against the quality of the models in the video, but unlike some other kickstarters (koff koff MN9) which only showed concept art instead of a concept video during its kickstarter, this one came with a little cinematic with the expectation of how it'd play. It was probably cobbled together quickly, but it certainly got me on Day 1.

One detail I loved about the video was when Shenhua was twirling the leaf while walking with Ryo, which was much more than any concept art could have provided.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Top 10 Kickstarters ever, here we come! I project, based on hourly data and a wild guess, that Shenmue III should become the number 2 game on KS around lunch time tomorrow!

I want that to number one spot, though! Come on 7.5 million!

wrowa

Honestly, this is just asking for trouble. Having a fixed scope relatively early is key to successful game
production.

Mugen08

Some questions must have been translated wrong, or Yu Suzuki misunderstood, like:

Seems he believe the question was about importing saves? Sure that some capsule toys might not work (due to Sega licensing) but it would e.g. be strange for Ryo to forget some of his moves to Shenmue III?

benzy

Personally, I think criticism was wayyyyy too exaggerated. The most important thing is the questions asked, and they asked Yu great ones in the Twitch Q&A. Sure, the guy in the red shirt had some awkward gestures but I think they were out of good intentions in trying to be funny or adding emotion.

Yeah, I didn't get the hatred. They went over the most important questions and we got good info & feedback out of it, which is what it was intended for. Other twitch kickstarter streams, like Bloodstained, aren't really "professional" either as they're really more of just laid back QA sessions or ways to interact with fans/backers. Iga pointing at people and saying "Die Monster!" lol.

Some questions must have been translated wrong, or Yu Suzuki misunderstood, like:

Seems he believe the question was about importing saves? Sure that some capsule toys might not work (due to Sega licensing) but it would e.g. be strange for Ryo to forget some of his moves to Shenmue III?

Pretty sure he thinks the question was about transferring saved data. I could see why considering the way the question is worded.

Pachael

Yeah, I didn't get the hatred. They went over the most important questions and we got good info & feedback out of it, which is what it was intended for. Other twitch kickstarter streams, like Bloodstained, aren't really "professional" either as they're really more of just laid back QA sessions or ways to interact with fans/backers. Iga pointing at people and saying "Die Monster!" lol.

To be fair, Bloodstained did do a great job with getting Iga out and playing stuff for the backers/fans to enjoy.

AJ should get Yu Suzuki to do the same for his games (like playing Outrun 2 in the arcade, or fiddling around with Virtua Fighter, or mucking around on the 3DS remasters like Outrun and doing some developer commentary), or others' games that he likes (or music, or movies).

The man's been hard to contact for almost a decade, this is the perfect time to reintroduce Suzuki works to the world.

Yup, UE4 is used for the upcoming Rollcage successor 'Grip' and I think it looks amazing. How cheap is UE4?

5% royalty on all gross revenue made from sales of the UE4 game. No other costs. It's free for anybody to download and use.

Wait what? Wow had no idea. And 5% sounds cheap isnt it? Is there a way to learn this thing or is it pure coding? Or could I build something basic without much coding like Unity?

To be fair, Bloodstained did do a great job with getting Iga out and playing stuff for the backers/fans to enjoy.

AJ should get Yu Suzuki to do the same for his games (like playing Outrun 2 in the arcade, or fiddling around with Virtua Fighter, or mucking around on the 3DS remasters like Outrun and doing some developer commentary), or others' games that he likes (or music, or movies).

The man's been hard to contact for almost a decade, this is the perfect time to reintroduce Suzuki works to the world.

I'd like to add that AJ should try to at least get as much as they can lengthy interview spots in personality-driven games media followings like say; Podcast Beyond or KindaFunny Gamescast to talk about the Kickstarter, similar to how Colin interviewed Iga.

Shenmue 3 has gotten significant exposure thanks to the Sony E3 showing in general, but it's not something that has been given an in-depth overview and detailed talking point by personality advocates in the industry with a large fanbase.

I think that's a decent idea to get newcomers without any interest/investment in Shenmue to be interested in it, by leveraging the popularity of the advocates to talk about the Kickstarter.

benzy

I wasn't hating on Bloodstained's twitch stream or anything. Yeah, it'd be cool to watch Yu play his own games.

Theonik

Wait what? Wow had no idea. And 5% sounds cheap isnt it? Is there a way to learn this thing or is it pure coding? Or could I build something basic without much coding like Unity?
UE4 has an editor and a graphical script system. For deeper scripting you need to learn C++. In unity you need C#.
UE4 is 'Cheap' unless you are expecting your project to be successful where it becomes much more expensive than say Unity, but you get source access for customisations which you don't with Unity. Larger projects negotiate special prices and licensing fees.

As for the main reason it's caught on so much in Japan now. UE is pretty productive, more productive than many of the proprietary tools they'd been using, but until recently they had to get support from Epic's US based offices. This means they had to do it in English and even worse they don't get office hour access to Epic devs. By setting up a Japan office, Epic suddenly can offer office hour phone support in Japanese for developers which is HUGELY important.

Erevador

I wasn't hating on Bloodstained's twitch stream or anything. Yeah, it'd be cool to watch Yu play his own games.
Watching Suzuki play Outrun, Virtua Fighter, Hang On, and Afterburner.

That would be an awesome stream. I think it would bring a nice humanity to the campaign.

benzy

Watching Suzuki play Outrun, Virtua Fighter, Hang On, and Afterburner.

That would be an awesome stream. I think it would bring a nice humanity to the campaign.

It'd be great. Wonder what they have planned leading up to the final days of the campaign.

UE4 has an editor and a graphical script system. For deeper scripting you need to learn C++. In unity you need C#.
UE4 is 'Cheap' unless you are expecting your project to be successful where it becomes much more expensive than say Unity, but you get source access for customisations which you don't with Unity. Larger projects negotiate special prices and licensing fees.

As for the main reason it's caught on so much in Japan now. UE is pretty productive, more productive than many of the proprietary tools they'd been using, but until recently they had to get support from Epic's US based offices. This means they had to do it in English and even worse they don't get office hour access to Epic devs. By setting up a Japan office, Epic suddenly can offer office hour phone support in Japanese for developers which is HUGELY important.

Thanks for this. I'm a 3D modeler so I guess i can import stuff in there right? I'm not sure i understand what you mean with what I bolded. So its not free after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom